The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Apart from Vaughan's wicket, again we are playing Warne too defensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's going for almost four runs per over.

Guest DarthVader

If Warne carries on like this England are looking at 250 runs max. Someone needs to get after him and be more positive.

Amazing mental battle going on out there. Warne is simply a class act.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

They don't need to get after Warne at all, there's plenty of runs to be had from the other end </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, that last Tait over was the kind you see in junior club cricket!

Guest DarthVader

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

They don't need to get after Warne at all, there's plenty of runs to be had from the other end </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They will have to get at Warne at some stage in terms of cancelling him out, otherwise he will just get into their heads - he's doing that now. At the moment Aus are on the up because of Warne - if England can control him then they will do well.

Bowling figs speak for themselves:

O M R W

S K Warne 7.0 1 27 3

FOW 82, 102, 104

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theboydonegood:

nice argument you've got there pjburrage, so if we ignore the fact that vaughan got out being aggressive against warne you can support your claim that we are too defensive against him icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vaughan was unlucky as his rose a bit more, but the other two wickets were thesame old overcausous (sp) shots from the English batsman.

No, by going for big shots they will play into his hands. All they need to do is look to milk him for 3 singles an over, rotate the strike and give him frustration that he can't get into a groove against either batsman </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

It's interesting that he is bowling over the wicket to the leftie in this Test (from what little I have managed to see so far). He doesn't want England padding up to him.

Guest DarthVader

Haz. Yes, they'll have to cancel him out somehow - my reference to going after him was not about going for big shots, but about fending him off, somehow, which is effectively what you are saying. You can defend positively against Warne, if you see what I mean.

• Administrators

Look, The Oval is notorious for being a spinner's paradise in the final test of an ashes series, at least over the last decade. Warne and Tufnell to my memory have both recorded 10 wicket match hauls here, and although it's very early, it's no surprise he's getting joy.

Oh, he's also a world class bowler facing batsmen who STILL haven't a clue how to face him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarthVader:

Haz. Yes, they'll have to cancel him out somehow - my reference to going after him was not about going for big shots, but about fending him off, somehow, which is effectively what you are saying. You can defend positively against Warne, if you see what I mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's nothing wrong with playing every ball on it's merits. England don't have to chase the game. Against a world class bowler, you must be watchful. Getting runs off Lee and Tait should be the gameplan.

The test matches have been good to watch this series and the runs have flowed, but none (barring rain delays) have lasted five days so far due to this cavalier attitude. England should be thinking of batting today and pretty much all of tomorrow on this wicket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Juni:

Look, The Oval is notorious for being a spinner's paradise in the final test of an ashes series, at least over the last decade. Warne and Tufnell to my memory have both recorded 10 wicket match hauls here, and although it's very early, it's no surprise he's getting joy.

Oh, he's also a world class bowler facing batsmen who STILL haven't a clue how to face him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

true but they would normally take more wickets later in the match. Not the first session of the first morning against the top order.

Guest DarthVader

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Vaughan was unlucky as his rose a bit more, but the other two wickets were thesame old overcausous (sp) shots from the English batsman. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly my point - overcaution. And that's what Warne does so well - just makes batsmen insecure when playing shots.

I'd just like to see someone win that mental battle on the pitch against Warne. Break him and a win will come.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gianichedda Rules:

150 from Strauss please. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded.

Guest DarthVader

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ranjith:

The test matches have been good to watch this series and the runs have flowed, but none (barring rain delays) have lasted five days so far due to this cavalier attitude. England should be thinking of batting today and pretty much all of tomorrow on this wicket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that down to the quality of bowling by each side as much as anything else?

England are in a tough spot. If they can get through the next 10-15 overs OK then I would expect them to make a reasonable score. However, another wicket after lunch and things could collapse completely.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarthVader:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ranjith:

The test matches have been good to watch this series and the runs have flowed, but none (barring rain delays) have lasted five days so far due to this cavalier attitude. England should be thinking of batting today and pretty much all of tomorrow on this wicket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that down to the quality of bowling by each side as much as anything else?

England are in a tough spot. If they can get through the next 10-15 overs OK then I would expect them to make a reasonable score. However, another wicket after lunch and things could collapse completely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each time in the last few matches Australia have batted much more watchfully in the second innings and got more runs. Even looked a touch more comfortable.

Back in the day teams would go along at around 3 an over and play 5 whole days. Now it's more exciting at over 4 an over, but matches are hardly lasting 5 days.

I guess it's better for cricket, but the skill of concentrating and lasting has gone now. Not as many seem to be able to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Huge innings for KP this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stop with the jinxing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought that as soon as I posted it /o\

England are in a tough spot. If they can get through the next 10-15 overs OK then I would expect them to make a reasonable score. However, another wicket after lunch and things could collapse completely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Each time in the last few matches Australia have batted much more watchfully in the second innings and got more runs. Even looked a touch more comfortable.

Back in the day teams would go along at around 3 an over and play 5 whole days. Now it's more exciting at over 4 an over, but matches are hardly lasting 5 days.

I guess it's better for cricket, but the skill of concentrating and lasting has gone now. Not as many seem to be able to do it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be a few frustrated ladies out there then. icon_biggrin.gif

Archived