The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

Gillespie's sobbing reminds me of Langer a couple of years ago having a hissy fit when the Barmy Army starting yelling "no ball" every time Lee bowled.....yet he didn't seem to have a problem with the Aussie fans doing it far more vociferously to Murali.

If Gillespie thinks he's got it bad he should ask Phil Tufnell about some of the stuff he copped Down Under, notably the time he had to field for 6 hours right in front of some bloke calling him a "f**king c**t" all day long.

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am immensely looking forward to this. The neutral realist in me thinks that Australia will probably once again take it up a notch when it really matters, but I would love to see the series continue as it has been and maybe for England to break through the barrier.

Flintoff has certainly risen up in my standings from this series, really feel he's led the whole England effort and now has been joined by Vaughan. Similarly, I really enjoyed Ponting's effort on the last day at Old Trafford, it was definitely an effort worthy of an Australian captain.

On a sadder note, I hope that Gillespie will make a comeback to form at some point, it wouldn't be deserving for a guy that's put in so much to end like this.

On an even sadder note...today's cricket in Zimbabwe...New Zealand have just lost their 2nd wicket for 326 in the 38th over of a 44 over match, and Vincent is perhaps on his way to a 200. The ICC have really proven gutless over this, along with governments like New Zealand's.

I am immensely looking forward to this. The neutral realist in me thinks that Australia will probably once again take it up a notch when it really matters, but I would love to see the series continue as it has been and maybe for England to break through the barrier.

Flintoff has certainly risen up in my standings from this series, really feel he's led the whole England effort and now has been joined by Vaughan. Similarly, I really enjoyed Ponting's effort on the last day at Old Trafford, it was definitely an effort worthy of an Australian captain.

On a sadder note, I hope that Gillespie will make a comeback to form at some point, it wouldn't be deserving for a guy that's put in so much to end like this.

On an even sadder note...today's cricket in Zimbabwe...New Zealand have just lost their 2nd wicket for 326 in the 38th over of a 44 over match, and Vincent is perhaps on his way to a 200. The ICC have really proven gutless over this, along with governments like New Zealand's.

He chose to bowl because the start was delayed due to moisture on the pitch, and he figured it would move around a bit. It moved for about 2 overs.

Obviously, we're going to win this match, but it's still a good pitch so Zimbabwe could get some sort of reasonable score. It's a lose-lose situation for everyone, especially with reports that the NZ-India games are selling out and the Zimbabwe matches aren't.

This is about a day late but I must say the Aussie selectors Merv , Allan and Trevor Hohns has got it wrong , Michael Kasper was the man to replace Gillespie. Tait will probably get one or two wickets but will get pumped. Besides its our batting that needs sorting out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Your batting is a lost cause, Freddie owns them all tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just Gilly and Katich. Someone needs to step up and get a big score, maybe Ponting, Langer or even Warne. Hopefully someone else will pull their finger out and step up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Geraint Jones is going to hit a century this Test, I can feel it in my bones icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pair for him then!

I actually think Dizzy comes across as a nice bloke and I feel a bit sorry for him. Obviously he needs replacing but I think the crowd have been a bit harsh on him.

I suppose you could argue that Brett Lee gets more stick and takes it in amazingly good humour though. Like when someone threw a severed plastic foot at him icon_biggrin.gif

If Tait doesn't impress in the next match, then we'll play Kasper. He's experienced and has done the job for us before. I think with Mcgrath's injury problems that Dizzy will get another chance at playing for Australia, on his day he can be the best in the world but the English pitches so far just hasn't swung normally and as the Channel 4 guys point out correctly he's lost that extra bit of zip and evanesence over the last few years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Shaun Tait is going to be bricking it tomorrow - what are the odds of his first ball in test cricket being 4 wides down the legside icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon he'll be a bit wayward at the start, he's got pace but you need accuracy at international level and if he bowls a bad line or length he'll get punished.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CCFC 4 EVA:

Did anyone see it when Lee was on the boundary and was wiggling his little finger at someone, that was well funny, he seems to be the only one who can take the stick and see the funny side of it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Warney was laughing when the crowd cheered the century up on his bowling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

A) He bowls 3mph too slow

B) He has a boring haircut

C) He's not foreign </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But imagine having him and Ealham (at there peaks) bowling in the middle of a ODI.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

But imagine having him and Ealham (at there peaks) bowling in the middle of a ODI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about Flintoff and Harmison bolwing in the middle of a ODI?

I know who I'd rather

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

We shouldn't be, but the press and a few in here have muted the idea.

On another note Worcester have just beaten Lancashire by 4 wickets, but someone tell me how this guy has never played international cricket: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/10712.html

4-22 from his 9 overs this evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've often wondered the same thing, amazing that he at least wasn't given a go at ODI's. Wharf and Franks, both not as good, were. icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ItS_A_RaP:

But imagine having him and Ealham (at there peaks) bowling in the middle of a ODI. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know who I'd rather </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark Ealham >>>>>>>>> Harmison in ODI's easily tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ItS_A_RaP:

I know who I'd rather </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark Ealham >>>>>>>>> Harmison in ODI's easily tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ealham's average: 32.79

Harmison's average: 28.70

Teams Ealham averaged under 29 against: Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya

Teams Harmison averages under 29 against: Australia, Bangladesh, India, New Zealand, Zimbabwe

But with Harmison you just need to get bat on ball and you'll get a couple of runs, with Ealham and Chapple you have to force your shots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its easier to force a shot against Ealham than get bat on ball to Harmison.

I don't doubt Ealham was good enough for a place in his prime, but if he was at his best today he rightly wouldn't be within a mile of the England set-up

Archived