The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Haha Kent arrogantly stroll to 15/4 against Bangladesh A icon_biggrin.gificon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

/0\ we really are shat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">More prosaically, The Times reported that England cricket shirts are outselling football strips across the country, and even reported on a 20% upsurge in sales of cucumber, scones and tea: "all staple ingredients for a good afternoon tea at the cricket, suggesting newcomers to the sport enjoy all aspects associated with watching it". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by macktheknife:

Katich is pure class, the aussies are going to stomp all over the **** poor Pommie attack, and tear through their weak middle order. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gah why couldn't this guy have posted more icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

well, that was the first twenty20 match i've ever seen, and it was entertaining for what it was. good to see england so psyched up for the match, hopre they can carry that on for the whole summer.

brag away, coz we'll still win the test series three or four one though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Divinity:

You know you're mediocre when you celebrate a draw in a final after boasting about how great you were after two games. icon_biggrin.gif

C'MON A STOMPING IN THE TESTS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in case you'd forgotten what a clint cav was

Another brilliant one from McGrath to keep us going until the next match

http://content.cricinfo.com/quote/content/page/156062.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After Glenn McGrath helped Australia pull off a thrilling draw at Old Trafford, it's time to celebrate his batting prowess

"When I came off, I actually asked the boys what it's like to get out in this series"

On his batting invincibility </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

Ponting goes = we win

Ponting stays = draw

Simple as (hopefully i'm wrong) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hopefully?

you were icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

lose it or draw it. i'd make three changes for the fourth test now that it appears clarke is fit -

langer, clarke, ponting, martyn, hodge, symonds, gilchrist, warne, lee, tait, mcgrath. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

please don't take Symonds too icon_frown.gif

just reading through those pages has exhausted me, and I'm still recovering from yesterday even after 12 hours sleep, it's like I've got some hangover and my reactions are so slow at the moment, the whole day was so mentally and physically tiring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

keedy has looked very average, not sure why some of you lot froth over him being called up </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's only ec7 that does that I think </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbh I wouldn't call him up now, his time has been and gone, certainly on this year's form, but he was our only decent bowler last year and nearly single handedly saved us from relegation, the season before he was the best English bowler in county cricket, basically he was at his peak when Giles was which was a shame, and he can't bat for ****.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

ofc, can you see Liam Harper or Big Geordie getting up at 5am to watch Pakistan v England? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It'll be worth it just to see my ranting and raving at how useless we are tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rsl:

will people just stop caring about Cricket like Rugby Union (after the World Cup win) in a few months you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah, i don't think so, because apart from the immediate aftermath of the RWC, Cricket has always tended to be quite a bit more popular than Rugby, even if it is still way behind Football. I reckon most football fans are more likely to have cricket as their second sport than Rugby - despite the (sort of) similarity between rugby and football.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and how big is the MCG? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Capacity 96308

Playing area 172.9m long, 147.8m wide

bloody big. Cricinfo is your friend for any question about cricket you can possibly imagine.

I went to a AFL game there last year, and even with half the stand missing, it was by far the best stadium I've even been in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just been playing Stickcricket Ashes </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was just about to search for a thread on that. I am so bad it is unbelievable. What is the trick?

can hoik the quicks around ok, but when bloody botham and matthews come on, I'm screwed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

Oh, and the next Ashes series will be December/January 2006/2007.

afaik there aren't any dates in the diarys just yet, although the MCG test almost always starts on boxing day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm saving to go to the boxing day test at MCG in 2010 icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

afaik there aren't any dates in the diarys just yet, although the MCG test almost always starts on boxing day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just wondering if I can take time out of Uni, not sure whether I'll have Jan exams with it being my final year, maybe I'll take a year out and live in Aus icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There isn't really any tricks. I was getting done by Warne and Clarke all the time before, but now for some reason I'm hitting them for sixes and fours all the time. Just ****ing wack it </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are your stats in the 10 over slog?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

I'm saving to go to the boxing day test at MCG in 2010 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's called planning. Would love to go to an Ashes test in Australia, or a test in the Windies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm saving to go to the boxing day test at MCG in 2010 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to be in Australia for a year starting next August. I have no idea how they allocate tickets etc. But I am going to try my hardest to get a ticket for one of the tests.

Yeah I am planning way ahead but if I going to do it I want to do it properly, which means being over there probably for 2 tests with time to do all the tourist bits as well. Plus the wife & kids will insist on coming which adds about a zillion quid to the price icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah I am planning way ahead but if I going to do it I want to do it properly, which means being over there probably for 2 tests with time to do all the tourist bits as well. Plus the wife & kids will insist on coming which adds about a zillion quid to the price </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the cricket your probably best joining the Barmy Army or something and going on one of their tours. It's pretty expensive, but at least you get the tickets.

Australia is a wonderful country, and although it's pretty expensive to get there, it's pretty cheap food and drink if you've got pounds. (assuming the Exchange Rate stays similar for the next 5 years..)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

yeah, but if you go with the barmy army, do you have to participate in singing really annoying songs over and over and over again? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.

oh god. i dont think i could put up with singing "you all live in a convict colony" the twentieth time.

the song which i dont know the words to about shane warnes missus, him being fat and his mum giving him pills - that's alright i think.

I reckon we will prob lose in Pakistan (Kaneria will own us), but next summer i reckon we should be able to beat them soundly in English conditions. Teams from the subcontinent are always massively vulnerable outside of it - which is why India are not as good as they think they are.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NICK_GIFF:

I reckon we will prob lose in Pakistan (Kaneria will own us), but next summer i reckon we should be able to beat them soundly in English conditions. Teams from the subcontinent are always massively vulnerable outside of it - which is why India are not as good as they think they are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kanerias not really a strike bowler though, he's gonna wheel away all day from one end and has to bowl 30-odd overs to take his 5/100. He's a great bowler and learning all the time though plus I love his temperament. He doesn't mind taking a few licks, he'll keep on fighting and won't get disheartened.

The English pace attack ****es over ours as well, Shoaib is better than anybody you have but only for 3 overs and then he gets tired and fakes an injury to avoid having to do anything for the rest of the match. We don't have anybody else who's really shown they belong at test level unfortunately.

As far as our batting goes it's just Inzi shouldering the burden as usual, just have to target him.

Archived