The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

i swear i made a pretty prophetic prediction at some point, but all i can find is me saying australia will win 2-1 and it'll be a wet august.

which is pretty good actually. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My amazing prediction was made on page 41 iirc, amidst a few other predictions by folkses so mebbe you might try checking around that part of the thread

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jordyh:

Im sure I read in this thread that someone said that OT would be a rain affected draw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

everyone says that every year tbh icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

so I went to the stadium anyway and borrowed £10 to get in off my mate, thank **** he had it as the queue was massive and there are no cash machines near OT at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah, there's one no more than 100 yards from the gates Alex icon_biggrin.gif

It's the one I always go to if I'm in the Trafford after a United game and need some cash. Left hand side of Warwick Road, on the corner just as you approach LCCC. Not much use telling you now, admittedly...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jordyh:

Im sure I read in this thread that someone said that OT would be a rain affected draw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tbf, it doesn't take a genius to predict that icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

so I went to the stadium anyway and borrowed £10 to get in off my mate, thank **** he had it as the queue was massive and there are no cash machines near OT at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah, there's one no more than 100 yards from the gates Alex icon_biggrin.gif

It's the one I always go to if I'm in the Trafford after a United game and need some cash. Left hand side of Warwick Road, on the corner just as you approach LCCC. Not much use telling you now, admittedly... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian Statham Road tbh icon_razz.gif even if it was there it was probably empty as they'd been 100,000 fans pass it in the last 4 days icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

BOBAN - does afridi have any commitments mid-september? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

in case he misses it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoLdFoX:

what one sebs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the catch.

i think he's been harshly judged with the stumping chance

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

oh yeah, how wrong would it be to call Andrew Flintoff the best bowler in the world?

Bowls quick, can swing it both ways, aggressive, can pitch the ball in a consistant area, good bouncer, "heavy ball" bowler and also quite a clever bowler.

I can't think of too many that do a much better job at the moment.

ALSO, how many wickets does it take for someone to become someone's bunny? i.e. Gilchrist to sir Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the Aussie we were chatting to in the pub was adamant Flintoff is the best player in the world, we didn't even ask him how was or suggest it icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Langer reckons he's the quickest off the pitch he's ever faced icon_biggrin.gif He's held our bowling together this summer for sure.

dont talk rubbish, noway will they drop pietersen

Not that I'm aware of. Why? We inviting him to the OTF Cricket Meetup?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pedwar Pump:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

oh yeah, how wrong would it be to call Andrew Flintoff the best bowler in the world?

Bowls quick, can swing it both ways, aggressive, can pitch the ball in a consistant area, good bouncer, "heavy ball" bowler and also quite a clever bowler.

ALSO, how many wickets does it take for someone to become someone's bunny? i.e. Gilchrist to sir Andrew </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the Aussie we were chatting to in the pub was adamant Flintoff is the best player in the world, we didn't even ask him how was or suggest it icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Langer reckons he's the quickest off the pitch he's ever faced icon_biggrin.gif He's held our bowling together this summer for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Warne who said that no? Or did Langer say it as well

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoLdFoX:

what one sebs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the catch.

i think he's been harshly judged with the stumping chance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It bounced and turned. Im at durham acamemy now and watch out for ben harmison. icon_smile.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Not that I'm aware of. Why? We inviting him to the OTF Cricket Meetup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He'd get completely overshadowed tbh icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

Not that I'm aware of. Why? We inviting him to the OTF Cricket Meetup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha

no, i have a feeling he might be in the asia xi for the 20:20 international tournament at grace road.

It bounced and turned. Im at durham acamemy now and watch out for ben harmison. icon_smile.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

isnt plunkett more likely to get a shout ahead of ben harmi?

Oooooooh, if Afridi's playing then I'd certainly go watch it icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it's not definite, i've just a sneaky feeling he might.

and if he is, i might buy a three day ticket, even though i'll be missing some days

It bounced and turned. Im at durham acamemy now and watch out for ben harmison. icon_smile.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

isnt plunkett more likely to get a shout ahead of ben harmi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in 5 years time. Quality bat and ball. Not as quick as steve but sharp

Erm, as for my two cents on the game just finished and the series to come, I basically have the optimism fairy on one shoulder and the pessimism fairy on the other? :/

Reasons to be cheerful - second time in a fortnight we've outclassed the Aussies, and only denied a 2-1 series lead by the Manchester rain. All the batsmen have now made key contributions and are all in good nick, and this Test especially has seen a number of them step up when they needed to - Strauss' ton in the second innings rammed Shane Warne's words back down his throat and was both gutsy and selfless, and the skipper's beautiful knock on day one was the proverbial weight lifted off his shoulders. Ian Bell has really impressed this time round, especially after being singled out as the vulnerable rookie by Australia. The first innings was gutsy and well-judged, which laid the platform for a brilliant second innings once he got going. That will do him so much good it's untrue. And whilst he may have been erratic behind the stumps, Geraint Jones played two crucial little cameos which will have helped keep his confidence on something of an even keel.

On the bowling front, Simon Jones is red hot right now and you have to admire the way he's remodelled himself after that injury to become such a dangerous swinger of the ball. He bowled well at Lords with no luck or support from his fielders, but he also bowled a bit wayward at times, yet at Edgbaston and now emphatically here he's been right on the money and he's working that old ball better than anyone on either side. A big big plus. Then there's Freddie, such a talisman and inspiration. Definitely Vaughan's 'go-to' bowler now, has that knack of getting big wickets. And he's showing that not only is he fearsomely quick and able to swing it, but he's also a supremely intelligent bowler (see Hayden's dismissal today, Katich's on Friday). The Aussie left-handers seem to have no answer to him at the minute. Gilo isn't getting tanked all over England as the Aussies would have had you believe, is bowling to his strengths and picking up the odd key wicket, can't ask any more of him. Harmy and Hoggy aren't firing on all cylinders, and yet they still look infinitely more dangerous than Jason Gillespie, no?

As well as that, you have definite signs of weakness in the Aussie ranks - none of the top 7 have really clicked yet, bar Ponting today. Langer looks a big innings waiting to happen, and Clarke has probably looked the most fluent, but Katich and Hayden have struggled hugely whilst we've already discussed Gilchrist's woes. In the field, look how poor they've been these past two Tests? They don't become bad fieldsmen overnight, that's the pressure England are putting them under, pressure they're not used to at all. As for the bowlers, Gillespie is a shadow of his former self and it's a shame really for England that he looks to have run out of time. McGrath clearly wasn't quite fully fit here, but we played him pretty well and exorcised some of the demons from Lords. Lee has been impressive but also expensive at times and you get the feeling Ponting sometimes doesn't feel he can really trust him when he needs to keep things tight. And the blonde bamboozler? Still an immense threat but the way we played him second time out will have done wonders for English confidence as a whole. Ponting's captaincy has to be questioned as well.

Reasons to be fearful - actually, f*ck that. All that optimistic stuff has won the day. Draw at Trent Bridge, win at the Oval, you heard it here first icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pedwar Pump:

Langer reckons he's the quickest off the pitch he's ever faced icon_biggrin.gif He's held our bowling together this summer for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was Warne who said that no? Or did Langer say it as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, Langer as well, in the Times. Reckons he's never faced a bowler who hits the bat as hard as Flintoff. Quite a compliment coming from him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Morgs \o/

thanks for the updates tbh (and Cottager, to an extent) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Likewise Marshy. I was sat at work desperately hoping my pocket would vibrate with news of a wicket. Basically got caught several times but people didn't care too much \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Cavanagh:

Has anyone got a clip of the catch?

(I apologise if there's one in the thread somewhere) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Highlights are on C4 in ten minutes or so.

isnt plunkett more likely to get a shout ahead of ben harmi? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in 5 years time. Quality bat and ball. Not as quick as steve but sharp </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Better batter than bowler from what i've heard. Love him to become a quality all-rounder though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

Has the fifth day at Trent Bridge sold out yet btw? Pretty much desperate to see a days play at some point this summer, and the Oval will be too far away I suspect. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

oval is sold out, trent bridge isn't on sale yet.

I must admit I do not know a lot about cricket although I've been trying to watch a fair bit of it over the last year or so. How is Richard Dawson doing at the moment? He was a friend of mine at university and I wondered whst his chances of getting back into the England side were.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

I must admit I do not know a lot about cricket although I've been trying to watch a fair bit of it over the last year or so. How is Richard Dawson doing at the moment? He was a friend of mine at university and I wondered whst his chances of getting back into the England side were. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't think he'll replace Ashley Giles, he's probably going to be one of those players whose names gets mentioned whenever the team is in poor form or there's an injury but never really gets any games

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

I must admit I do not know a lot about cricket although I've been trying to watch a fair bit of it over the last year or so. How is Richard Dawson doing at the moment? He was a friend of mine at university and I wondered whst his chances of getting back into the England side were. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's promised a lot without ever actually delivering. Be a decent county spinner for the rest of his career. He'll only play for England again of he drastically improves.

I love the way the gates are locked and all the unfortunate punters are milling around outside and then Sir Bobby sneaks in through the gates looking a tad embarrassed icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and the commentators tried to make out that he paid, yeah right.

Archived