The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superdude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fe98:

And another one for you, why are the English called "poms" or "pommies" or whatever it is the Aussies call them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe POME stands for Prisoner of Mother England </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perpatrators Of Mullering England tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by atvkwkad:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superdude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fe98:

And another one for you, why are the English called "poms" or "pommies" or whatever it is the Aussies call them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe POME stands for Prisoner of Mother England </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_rolleyes.gif

Piece of Monkey Excrement icon_biggrin.gif

Perpatrators Of Mullering England tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Rumours that the Old Trafford pitch might be a spinners' paradise were scotched by Jim Cumbes, Lancashire's chief executive, when he told reporters that it was likely to favour quick rather than slow bowlers.

"At the moment the pitch is like concrete," he said. "There is plenty of pace and bounce and at this stage I would expect it to favour the seamers rather than the spinners. Traditionally it has favoured spin but it has been prepared slightly differently this time because of the weather. There should be some turn from the fourth day on, but I don't think it will be turning sideways early in the match."

That view was backed by Old Trafford groundsman Peter Marron. "Everyone keeps telling me it will turn square. I don't think it will. It's rolled out flat, it's got a polished surface and the weather forecast is good." But he added that it would offer something for the slow men. We spent years trying to get pitches to turn for English bowlers," he smiled. "It happens to do it naturally now. But I don't think it will turn as quickly as everyone thinks it will"

On the evidence of matches this season, there seems little to support claims that the ball could turn sideways early on. The most successful bowler at Manchester in 2005 is Durham's Steve Harmison.

Stuart MacGill, who was expected to partner Shane Warne, might now sit out the game, but he said that a faster surface would still suit him. "It may well actually work in our favour, because a bit of extra pace in the deck wouldn't hurt me much."

But while the Australians appear unfazed, Tony Ware, the head curator of the MCG, told Sydney's SEN radio that any attempts to prepare a quick track to negate Warne and MacGill could end in disaster. "It's a tricky exercise," he explained. "I think their only option, if they want to not have a spinning wicket, they have to have almost a damp wicket on day one or day two, which only means that the Test match becomes determined by the toss of the coin, which nobody wants to see. If the curator is under a bit of direction to put water on the wicket so close to a game under English conditions, I think they need to be a little careful with that."

© Cricinfo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

Watch Warne & MacGill take all 20 now icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get the feeling the talk of Mcgrath possibly playing is just to try and unsettle Englands preparation and thsi talk of the pitch not turning could be just an attempt unsettle the Oz preparation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by !Return of the Geordie One:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

I've just been offered a ticket for the Saturday of the Oval test icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dead rubber icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Or the day we regain the ashes

Blind optimism \o/

They better wrap it up before 5 so I can get to a pub to watch the Boro v Arsenal game

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by !Return of the Geordie One:

He's only light running. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's managing to run in and bowl off a reasonable length run up tbh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

I'm hoping for a RvN type brakedown from McGrath live on SSN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even better would be if he goes over his ankle first ball tomorrow. Then Australia would be down a bowler for the test

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ooh aah ray parlour:

He's only light running. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's managing to run in and bowl off a reasonable length run up tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hardly full pace though. He's far from being named tomorrow morning IMO.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

I'm hoping for a RvN type brakedown from McGrath live on SSN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Even better would be if he goes over his ankle first ball tomorrow. Then Australia would be down a bowler for the test </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed icon_biggrin.gif

I can't believe you could seriously train 6 days after tearing your ankle ligaments. icon_biggrin.gif

I tore mine playing Sunday League football last year while trying to trip someone up with the wrong foot, and I was barely walking within a week. And my missus is a physio, so not as if I didn't get treatment on it straight away.

Have made quite a few quid so far on backing Pieterson to be the top run scorer in the innings - he's been cut to 4-1 now to do it in the first innings. Gilchrist is 8-1 to be the top run scorer for the Aussies which looks a good bet but very much depends on the tail they select I suppose.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

and nick off with that symonds crap - at least he moved here when he was like three or something. it's not like he did a pietersen, or a geraint jones... or andrew strauss icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lies! He's a Brummie icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who moved to queensland when he was like three! icon_biggrin.gif

SSN is showing Lee and McGrath running about without any trouble. They haven't started bowling yet though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahaha... i knew he'd had a wengerism icon14.gif

i've just jinxed his chances of playing, haven't i? icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

and nick off with that symonds crap - at least he moved here when he was like three or something. it's not like he did a pietersen, or a geraint jones... or andrew strauss icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lies! He's a Brummie icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who moved to queensland when he was like three! icon_biggrin.gif

SSN is showing Lee and McGrath running about without any trouble. They haven't started bowling yet though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gahahaha... i knew he'd had a wengerism icon14.gif

i've just jinxed his chances of playing, haven't i? icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

I'd love it if Tremlett played, even though I like Hogg a lot. what do people think of his chances of playing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless one of our seamers get injured, none.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cottager:

I'd love it if Tremlett played, even though I like Hogg a lot. what do people think of his chances of playing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless one of our seamers get injured, none. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon he's in wth a good shout. It's between him and Hoggy for the the 11th place, and my personal feeling he will play, as the pitch might have a bit of kick in it.

ahahahahahaha the latest WG advert icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what was it?

I reckon Lee is a certainty to play, but i would be very surprised if McGrath plays - shirley it would be too risky because he might get injured again and be out for even longer, as well as Aus being down a man. Even if Australia lose this next test (unlikely in my opinion), it would not be a disaster. I reckon they will rest him so he will be 110% for TB.

I also think Hoggard might be replaced by Tremlett. Hoggy hasn't really looked in form all summer (even against Bangladesh), and reports suggest that the OT pitch will not be very helpful for swing, so after the new ball Hoggy will be impotent. The selectors will prob go for another potential bully to team up with Harmison and Freddie! It seems our motto for this series is:

"If we can't beat 'em, hurt 'em!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

ahahahahahaha the latest WG advert icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what was it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just WG prancing about giving teh aussies some stick icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

think theyll stick with hoggard tbh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aye, can't believe we'd drop someone after just beating the Aussies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bell should be dropped, he's useless.One good performance and that deserves a test place?Something snot right there.

Archived