The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

move everyone up, and stick collingwood in after flintoff? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

KP, Flintoff and Colly at 4,5,6 looks awful tbh. Freddie is now far too important as a bowler to be having to have all that responsibility that comes with batting at 5.

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kolin:

KP, Flintoff and Colly at 4,5,6 looks awful tbh. Freddie is now far too important as a bowler to be having to have all that responsibility that comes with batting at 5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because Bell, KP and Freddie looks better icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

anyways 37 for vaughan. a HUGE HUGE improvement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would have been, except he got 24. icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

where did i get 37 from?!? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

KP, Flintoff and Colly at 4,5,6 looks awful tbh. Freddie is now far too important as a bowler to be having to have all that responsibility that comes with batting at 5. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i thought an allrounder should be able to bat just about anywhere, and surely moving him up a notch would give him a bit more rest before bowling?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

ok stop the wise after the even b*llocks, Bell has looked utter quality but he's not really done it yet against Australia, doesn't mean the reasoning behind picking him for the tests was wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tbf I was arguing that KP should've been included even before the Bangladesh tests started

Shot KP \o/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by theboydonegood:

thing is with bell is he is young, obviously talented judging by his county form so i guess we should give him a run of games unless there is someone lots better waiting in the wings?

Robert Key has done very little for England, Butcher is injured, thorpe retired - i suppose there is collingwood but he isnt a number 4, so maybe shunt peiterson up to 4, freddy to number 5 and collingwood at 6?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bell is proving he isn't good enough to face Australia. In 3 innings now he has a grand total of 17 or something equally pathetic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right so if Bell's so useless who comes into the side in his place and what's your team lineup gonna look like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. Bell is a half decent player he made is debut a few years ago but the there was an injury a couple of years ago the the selectors went for Crawley, now that was a big mistake!!

i think his point is that it's the selectors job to pick the best players we can, and when some clearly arent performing at this level, why do they persist in picking them

*coughs*

bell

*coughs* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Persist" in picking them. Before he was picked for this test, he'd done everything that could be asked of him against the weaker opposition, and had 2 innings against Australia. What do you want to do, go back to the good old days of the late '80's and early '90's, when it was one failure and you're out, which meant we ended up playing 23 players in a test series at one stage.

You can argue whether he's good enough, that's fine. But he was certainly good enough to be considered, and now he's in the team it would be madness to discard him after two "real" tests, even if he fails in the second innings. That's simply not enough to judge any player.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

ok stop the wise after the even b*llocks, Bell has looked utter quality but he's not really done it yet against Australia, doesn't mean the reasoning behind picking him for the tests was wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm not doubting bells potential, it's pretty much been a baptism of fire for him. It would probably be far better to play him in tests against sri lanka, india, pakistan, South africa, not the world number 1's. getting some experience before taking on the aussies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Liam Harper:

tbf I was arguing that KP should've been included even before the Bangladesh tests started

Shot KP \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He couldn't play for us until the South Africa tests, could he?

Because Bell, KP and Freddie looks better icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you move Flintoff (who's looked out of touch with the bat recently) up a place and risk that having a deterimental effect on his bowling and bring in a guy with a first class average around 33/34?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James M:

Shot KP \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He couldn't play for us until the South Africa tests, could he? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I don't think so. I meant after the one dayers in South Africa, I was arguing that he should be in the Bangladesh test ahead of Bell

WALLOP! Freddie \o/

Bell is proving he isn't good enough to face Australia. In 3 innings now he has a grand total of 17 or something equally pathetic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

gee... where have i heard that before.

do i go back in the thread now top the pages where i said it was obvious - even when he was belting around the minnows - that he wasn't good enough, or shall we wait until the end of the series.

he ain't good enough.

why did ponting send you in on a batsmans paradise? coz he knows your top order is ****, and he's right. icon_biggrin.gif

in reality, you're lucky to be as many as you are. warne dropping a regulation catch, and tresco being out off a no-ball while still in the thirties. another wicket or two here and you're in real, real trouble. anything less than 400 on this docile deck isn't going to be enough.

actually, pointing the goose seriously misread the pitch. i think if he'd have gotten it right, it would have been magill that played rather than kasper...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy...:

we should be looking at getting an extra batsmen in and move freddie down to 7, not the other way around.

thorpe in the team instead of hoggard/jones/giles depending on the pitch if you ask me. which you didn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't agree. Freddie should be a strike bowler, not a stock bowler. We already overbowl him for someone with his injury record, because we under use Jones. Playing an extra batsman would just put too much pressure on his body.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

flintoff is not comfortable at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BOOM </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't count your chickens yet

He's pooh isn't he ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy...:

we should be looking at getting an extra batsmen in and move freddie down to 7, not the other way around.

thorpe in the team instead of hoggard/jones/giles depending on the pitch if you ask me. which you didn't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't agree. Freddie should be a strike bowler, not a stock bowler. We already overbowl him for someone with his injury record, because we under use Jones. Playing an extra batsman would just put too much pressure on his body. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there's some turn in the pitch then Hoggy should open with Harmy, otherwise it should be Flintoff and Harmy

Don't agree. Freddie should be a strike bowler, not a stock bowler. We already overbowl him for someone with his injury record, because we under use Jones. Playing an extra batsman would just put too much pressure on his body. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there's some turn in the pitch then Hoggy should open with Harmy, otherwise it should be Flintoff and Harmy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spinners swinging it, now seamers turning it icon_biggrin.gif

If there's some turn in the pitch then Hoggy should open with Harmy, otherwise it should be Flintoff and Harmy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just cos Hoggard doesn't bowl at 95mph doesn't mean he's a spinner icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Superdude:

who broke cricinfo? icon_mad.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

boban, probably icon_wink.gif

on this sort of pitch I'm happy with freddie at 6, we need giles in the side and the top order should be capable of scoring runs.

on worse wickets (like the first test), i don't see the problem with freddie dropping down to 7 with an extra batsman replacing giles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

Are we gonna still be batting in the morning do you think ? Bloody hope so ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

me too icon_frown.gif

227/4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Franco:

Brett Lee is basically gonna go all out attack to get a wicket and break this partnership I reckon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

= lots of short balls be smacked all over the gaff i hope !!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle:

someone put Freddie out, HE'S ON FIRE </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's punishing the bad balls, but has he got anywhere near picking Warne yet?

Archived