The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Didn't Hick do it against the Zimbabweans? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not according to The Bearded Wonder icon_cool.gif

Also, special mention for a Dutch Cricketer Kloppenburg who took 4 wickets and hit a century icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdyTaylor:

Wonder who's gonna get MOTM then??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rocky Rockstar:

KP for MOTM though icon14.gificon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

Only 12 players (including Collingwood today) have claimed 5 wickets in a ODI innings for England. Name them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Eal was the previous record holder icon_cool.gif

Only 12 players (including Collingwood today) have claimed 5 wickets in a ODI innings for England. Name them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gough

Hoggard

Giles

Hick

Collingwood

Marks

Harmison

Irani

White

Ealham

Dunno about the other 2 without cheating

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

England innings (50 overs maximum) R B 4 6

ME Trescothick c Shahriar Nafees b Nazmul Hossain 85 65 14 2

AJ Strauss lbw b Nazmul Hossain 152 128 19 0

*MP Vaughan b Nazmul Hossain 0 8 0 0

A Flintoff c Habibul Bashar b Aftab Ahmed 17 21 1 1

PD Collingwood not out 112 86 10 5

+GO Jones not out 2 1 0 0

Extras (b 1, lb 4, w 9, nb 9) 23

Total (4 wickets, 50 overs) 391

DNB: KP Pietersen, AF Giles, J Lewis, CT Tremlett, SJ Harmison.

FoW: 1-141 (Trescothick, 16.3 ov), 2-148 (Vaughan, 18.6 ov),

3-179 (Flintoff, 24.5 ov), 4-389 (Strauss, 49.5 ov).

Bowling O M R W

Mashrafe Mortaza 10 0 71 0 (2nb, 2w)

Tapash Baisya 7 0 87 0 (7nb, 2w)

Nazmul Hossain 10 0 83 3 (2w)

Mohammad Rafique 10 0 54 0 (1w)

Aftab Ahmed 10 0 65 1 (1w)

Tushar Imran 3 0 26 0

Bangladesh innings (target: 392 runs from 50 overs) R B 4 6

Javed Omar b Collingwood 59 107 7 0

Shahriar Nafees b Tremlett 10 28 1 0

Tushar Imran c GO Jones b Tremlett 0 1 0 0

Mohammad Ashraful b Collingwood 94 52 11 3

*Habibul Bashar c Strauss b Collingwood 16 23 1 0

Aftab Ahmed c & b Collingwood 0 1 0 0

+Khaled Mashud c GO Jones b Collingwood 8 12 0 0

Mohammad Rafique b Tremlett 19 33 2 0

Mashrafe Mortaza b Collingwood 0 8 0 0

Tapash Baisya b Tremlett 3 6 0 0

Nazmul Hossain not out 2 6 0 0

Extras (w 7, nb 5) 12

Total (all out, 45.2 overs) 223

FoW: 1-30 (Shahriar Nafees, 9.2 ov), 2-30 (Tushar Imran, 9.3 ov),

3-154 (Mohammad Ashraful, 25.6 ov), 4-180 (Habibul Bashar, 33.1 ov),

5-180 (Aftab Ahmed, 33.2 ov), 6-195 (Javed Omar, 35.4 ov),

7-201 (Khaled Mashud, 37.4 ov), 8-201 (Mashrafe Mortaza, 39.6 ov),

9-205 (Tapash Baisya, 41.5 ov), 10-223 (Mohammad Rafique, 45.2 ov).

Bowling O M R W

Lewis 5 1 23 0 (2nb, 3w)

Tremlett 8.2 1 32 4 (1nb, 2w)

Harmison 8 1 55 0 (2nb, 2w)

Flintoff 4 0 30 0

Giles 10 0 52 0

Collingwood 10 1 31 6

</pre>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

what odds would you have got on Collingwood and Tremlett taking all 10? in fact what odds would you have got on anything in that game? can't wait to see the highlights, they really should extend them or something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean C4 actually make their highlights program decent? And not cram 100 overs into half an hour including interviews, analysis & ad breaks? Not likely tbh.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

what time are the highlights? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Channel 4 ones are at 12.45

Interesting to read yet more comments today from an Australian squad member about an England player, Hussey about spotting weaknesses in Pieterson's technique. icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's time they started looking at themselves and their team mates current inadequacies instead of the opposition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Pietersen should bat ahead of Collingwood, probably even ahead of Flintoff, he's proven he's more than just a big hitter. Shame Freddie's out if him and Pietersen had got in together we could've gone for 400 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha

pciffffffffb

once again, pciffffffffffffffffffb

what an absolutely stunning performance. twice he was called upon and twice he completely changed the flow of a game massively into englands favour. was slightly disappointed 400 wasnt made - was glad that ashraful went for the big hits because it got a bit exciting, but how demoralising to be going in and smashing it about yet STILL see the required run rate go up and up even in the early overs.

and what a game to go and watch. magnificent innings by strauss and tresco, magnificent bowling by tremlett on debut but fook me, paul collingwood was the absolute star of the show - everything went right.

and by that i mean:

1) england were sticking at around 180, the runs stopped flowing with those three wickets, collingwood comes in, bang bang baaaang, suddenly whoosh it's almost 250 and we're not even into the 40th over yet

2) england were getting bashed all over the place by ashraful especially. harmison conceeded 19 runs in one over. collingwood comes in, first two overs go for only 4 runs and then goes wicket after wicket...

haha, on the guardian commentary:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Several of you have written in to point out that the biggest score in an ODI is 398 by Sri Lanka against Kenya in the 1995-96 World Cup. Unless Pietersen goes mad, then I suspect England are going to fall some way short of that.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he clearly underestimated the power of the collingwood

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

Pietersen should bat ahead of Collingwood, probably even ahead of Flintoff, he's proven he's more than just a big hitter. Shame Freddie's out if him and Pietersen had got in together we could've gone for 400 icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha

pciffffffffb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I still stand by what I said, we didn't get 400 because Collingwood and Strauss decided to stick with singles too often, and pc started slowly too, but yes pcifb however kpifffffffffffffffffffffffffffb.

sebs beat me home icon_frown.gif

Collingwood batted sensationally today, and totally selflessly throughout - always running for Strauss without thought for his own century, which is what makes him such a great figure in the team.

For me though Ashraful's innings made the day. There was no way they were ever gonna get the runs and though it would have been great for Tremlett to get the hat-trick, the way the little man set about the bowling defied belief. I was gutted when he was out and he got the biggest ovation of the day as he trooped off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebs:

hahaha

I still stand by what I said, we didn't get 400 because Collingwood and Strauss decided to stick with singles too often, and pc started slowly too, but yes pcifb however kpifffffffffffffffffffffffffffb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can score at 6 or 7 an over quite comfortably without hitting boundaries - especially when you're as rapid between the wickets as Collingwood is - so there's no reason why Collingwood can't bat higher up the order than 6 or 7 really

where were you sat haz?

we didnt get 400 because we hit a sticky patch in the middle and it took collingwood to turn it around. without coll we wouldnt have got close? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was in the Radcliffe Road end, middle tier, east side...you?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zvonimir Boban:

hahaha

I still stand by what I said, we didn't get 400 because Collingwood and Strauss decided to stick with singles too often, and pc started slowly too, but yes pcifb however kpifffffffffffffffffffffffffffb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can score at 6 or 7 an over quite comfortably without hitting boundaries - especially when you're as rapid between the wickets as Collingwood is - so there's no reason why Collingwood can't bat higher up the order than 6 or 7 really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know he can, but Pietersen can too, and do it better imo, pc and as should've just slogged with 4 overs left if they'd have lost their wicket then and Pietersen had come in then I've no doubt we'd have done it.

fox road, behind \o/ the kid who fell over \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The kid's a legend!

I know he can, but Pietersen can too, and do it better imo, pc and as should've just slogged with 4 overs left if they'd have lost their wicket then and Pietersen had come in then I've no doubt we'd have done it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you wot? so 50 runs between the 45th and 49th overs isnt good enough for you?

right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

During the test series we were saying that the Bangladeshis would get a couple of good young players on which to build a competetive team around. Perhaps I'm being a bit premature here, but Mortaza and Ashraful could be the couple of players they've been looking for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

although they've started slowly at the top level (yes, you may now make your jokes icon_biggrin.gif), according to all reports the bangladeshis have an absolutely brilliant youth setup that should ensure they don't go the way the likes of kenya and zimbabwe in the future.

apparently, there is more concern for sri lanka post murali than there is for the future of bangladesh at test level...

You can score at 6 or 7 an over quite comfortably without hitting boundaries - especially when you're as rapid between the wickets as Collingwood is - so there's no reason why Collingwood can't bat higher up the order than 6 or 7 really </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know he can, but Pietersen can too, and do it better imo, pc and as should've just slogged with 4 overs left if they'd have lost their wicket then and Pietersen had come in then I've no doubt we'd have done it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm the bowlers actually managed to bowl quite well in the last couple of overs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exchampionsfan:

During the test series we were saying that the Bangladeshis would get a couple of good young players on which to build a competetive team around. Perhaps I'm being a bit premature here, but Mortaza and Ashraful could be the couple of players they've been looking for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

although they've started slowly at the top level (yes, you may now make your jokes icon_biggrin.gif), according to all reports the bangladeshis have an absolutely brilliant youth setup that should ensure they don't go the way the likes of kenya and zimbabwe in the future.

apparently, there is more concern for sri lanka post murali than there is for the future of bangladesh at test level... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Second post on page 8 tbh

Erm the bowlers actually managed to bowl quite well in the last couple of overs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well I've not seen any of it yet icon_biggrin.gif

Well I saw it up until Vaughan got out then I passed out. However looking at the result it looks like an awesome result. The second highest ODI score ever (icon14.gif to Collingwood/Strauss) plus what looked like a FB innings from Ashraful. That guy looks like a future ODI match winner.

Archived