THE OTF FIFA.com World Cup Fantasy Football Thread

I agree with that partly O_W if this squad of 23 was in some way through to the end of the tournament, i.e. you got limited free transfers between rounds and then had to spend points. Obviously your 1m players could stay in your 23 even when out but means you have less options later in the tournament .. actually means you'd have to put thought into it which is not the way it's going.

You can pick your selection of top, top players and then pad it out, not with 1m players but with at least 1 or 2 quality players in other positions before you even need to worry about 1m players.

I am not a fan of the 'log in every day to shift captain' ... this flies in the face of the 'making it easier' culture they are fostering, a small group of people will log in and shift subs and captains and a majority won't bother and will be miles behind in any league they are in within a couple of group games.

Maybe you see someone change their captain every day and you don't, maybe out, can't do it ... you're already 50 behind, think 'screw it' and don't log in again

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't know how you get this insider information. Maybe if you prefaced your argument with a supposition I'd be inclined to agree with you, rather than making definite statements.

As I say, I don't think Maicon will start all three group games.

I wouldn't call it insider information, but Maicon starting every qualifying game for Brazil (except for two last June when he was injured. By contrast, Dani Alves played 6/18, two of those times was instead of the injured Maicon last June, twice replacing him as a sub and twice replacing a midfielder/left back as a sub. On top of that, nothing that has happened in recent friendlies would dispel the thought that Maicon is a clear number one and that Dani Alves is a utility player.

That's why I think that Maicon will start every game for Brazil, however it seems I over-estimated Dunga's thoughts of Dani Alves - I know don't know at all how many games he'll come on as a substitute for.

I agree with that partly O_W if this squad of 23 was in some way through to the end of the tournament, i.e. you got limited free transfers between rounds and then had to spend points. Obviously your 1m players could stay in your 23 even when out but means you have less options later in the tournament .. actually means you'd have to put thought into it which is not the way it's going.

You can pick your selection of top, top players and then pad it out, not with 1m players but with at least 1 or 2 quality players in other positions before you even need to worry about 1m players.

I am not a fan of the 'log in every day to shift captain' ... this flies in the face of the 'making it easier' culture they are fostering, a small group of people will log in and shift subs and captains and a majority won't bother and will be miles behind in any league they are in within a couple of group games.

Maybe you see someone change their captain every day and you don't, maybe out, can't do it ... you're already 50 behind, think 'screw it' and don't log in again

23 *is* excessive, and just a gimmick to tie-in to the 23-player-squad idea. 15-18 would have worked better (or having an in-game limit of only being able to choose two players under, say, £3m).

The trouble with having no transfers, however, is that you could lose a couple of star players in the first week and find yourself in that 'screw it' mentality just the same, knowing you'd be stuck with crocks until the end of the game. (I'm a jinx in FF and players I pick have a supernatural tendency to get injured. Holland fans, if Robin van Persie breaks down 15 minutes into the game against Denmark, you can blame me :o ).

Alright guys I was abit confused regarding the captain - in terms of being able to change the captaincy as follows:

You captain player A has a bad game. So you want to swap the captaincy to another player, so you substitute player A with player B (obviously the same positions) who is playing in the following match day.

From the Captain Section from Rules & Help:

1-

If your captain does not play then the bonus will be lost. Another player will not take over the captaincy in their place.

From the Substitutions Section:

2-

Change your captain, providing he wasn’t sent off, with someone whose team is yet to play.

3-

Here are some reasons you may choose to make substitutions: •Your captain wasn't selected to play in the round

For me quotes 1 and 2 and 1 & 3 seem to contradict themselves. 1 says if your captain does not play then then their potential replacement (Sub) will not take the captaincy. But quote 3 say's that you may want to make a substitution if your captain did not play in the round (they use the word captain) so if it was just a normal substitution then they should/would use the word player and not captain to differentiate between the two. And quote 2 pretty much sais you can change the captaincy.

4-

•If a substitution or captain change is made then no automatic substitutions will take place on your team that round.

Automatic substitutions

Once the data for all the matches in the round has been determined as final, automatic substitutions will be made providing no substitutions or captain changes have been made.

If any of your players play no part in the round, the computer will try to substitute the inactive player with the highest priority replacement from the same position who did play. If your captain does not play then the bonus will be lost, another player will not take over the captaincy in their place.

Maybe be I'm overcomplicating things here or the wording is not great but what is quote 4 on about! Wy does it then need to throw in automatic substitutions into the mix!

If anyone can shed any light onto the above then many thanx guys! I'm probably been silly and there's a simple answer but I can't see it.

I'd interpret (1) to mean that the game won't choose a replacement captain for you. So, if you've put Higuain and Tevez in your team and made Higuain your captain, and then Higuain doesn't play but Tevez does, the game won't automatically transfer the captaincy to Tevez (or anyone else in the team). You'll simply not get the captaincy bonus.

Also, in the above example, the game would make a subtitution for you (in the event that you haven't made any yourself) and, for example, would take Higuain out of your team (because he hasn't played) and would put in the highest profile striker from your bench who HAS played (Aguero, for example). BUT, the game wouldn't make Aguero your captain just because he's replaced Higuain.

What it boils down to is that you have two choices. You can make captain the player you believe is most likely to DEFINITELY play (and could potentially earn most points) at the beginning of the round, and cross your fingers. Or you can make one player captain (someone playing on the first day of matches most likely) and if they don't put in the business then you can log in the next day and make someone else captain, provided they haven't yet played. As far as I understand it, you don't HAVE to take your original captain out of the team completely, you're just transferring the captaincy.

Ok thank you for that Oscillate Wildly. :thup: So in theory you could change the captaincy up to 7 times? Given that the first match would not be counted as a change.

Edit: Actually would it be 15 times being the maximum to change? As the 7 was each group and not each fixture.

Maybe be I'm overcomplicating things here or the wording is not great

Yea you are. The basic premise to remember is that auto substitutions and substitutions made by you are two different things and that they are mutually exclusive. So if you change it up with the team the system wont.

Is Neuer Germanys number 1 right now? I assumed it was Wiese and put him in

fwiw, my 1st XI and subs minus the crap:

GK Wiese

DF Lahm

DF Cannavaro

DF Maicon

MF De Rossi

MF Ribery

MF Iniesta

MF Kaka

FW Messi

FW Villa

FW Rooney

Subs

DF Samuel

DF Lee Young Pyo

MF Dempsey

MF Inler

MF Tosic

MF Boudebouz

FW Cardozo

FW Donovan

may have to rethink and have a decent sub keeper put in also, as both of mine are cack

I'd interpret (1) to mean that the game won't choose a replacement captain for you. So, if you've put Higuain and Tevez in your team and made Higuain your captain, and then Higuain doesn't play but Tevez does, the game won't automatically transfer the captaincy to Tevez (or anyone else in the team). You'll simply not get the captaincy bonus.

Also, in the above example, the game would make a subtitution for you (in the event that you haven't made any yourself) and, for example, would take Higuain out of your team (because he hasn't played) and would put in the highest profile striker from your bench who HAS played (Aguero, for example). BUT, the game wouldn't make Aguero your captain just because he's replaced Higuain.

What it boils down to is that you have two choices. You can make captain the player you believe is most likely to DEFINITELY play (and could potentially earn most points) at the beginning of the round, and cross your fingers. Or you can make one player captain (someone playing on the first day of matches most likely) and if they don't put in the business then you can log in the next day and make someone else captain, provided they haven't yet played. As far as I understand it, you don't HAVE to take your original captain out of the team completely, you're just transferring the captaincy.

Correct. I emailed Fifa to calrify and posted the reply on the previous page;

"You can make as many changes to your team as you wish during the round

by changing your captain or swapping a player on your team to one that

has not yet played. Once you have removed a player from your team, or

changed your captain you will not be able to move him back into your

team or reappoint him as captain if he has already played and earned

some points.

You can change your captain multiple times and also sub out substitutes

as long as the players that you replace them with have not yet played.

Only 11 players can earn points in any one round, no matter how many

substitutions you make. The points of any players that you sub out of

your team or you do not sub into your team will not count towards your

point total"

I'm going against the "most effort wins" theory and just picking the best players I can afford in a starting XI, then one or two decent subs for each area of the pitch, then some 1mill filler.

I don't want to be poncing around mid-gameweek.

One small image isn't. But every image that any user feels he/she needs to post pretty soon amounts to a ******** of additional storage capacity that the forum owners (rightly) don't want to pay for.

4681879498_32e19ceb4d.jpg

\o/ :p

ahh thanks finally my team is up now

all you guys that know anything can you tell me if this is a reasonable team i have started the players that play early hence kaka on the bench but he will come in etc if players on field do not perform

what i think i could change is the forwards i have gilgadino barrios and idrissou playing on the same day i need to have different days who do you think i should change and to who that will fit in with the two player per country rule

If I were you I'd get rid of Barrios and maybe pick up a Mexico striker for the opening game, or put Xavi into the team.

Here's my team:

FantasyFootball.jpg

Can I just confirm that I've understood the substitutions right:

• If I make no changes to my team, then the game will sub out any player that doesn't play and automatically replace him with a substitute
  • The substitute chosen will be based on order of them being listed on the subs bench
  • At any point during the round, I can sub out a player who has already played, and replace him with a player who is yet to play in that round
  • If I make that substitution, the player I drop will lose any points he may have scored, and the sub will receive point.

So, for this round I'm going to start with Gekas in my team, and if he scores against South Korea I can choose to either leave him in the team or replace him with David Villa?

You also don't have to sub like-for-like. You can change formation at any time provided your final formation is 'legit' (ie, not 1-4-5 with all five strikers on the pitch and scoring points). I think you can go down to three defenders and have no more than three strikers, so the maximum offensive formation would be 3-4-3. (I haven't tried 4-2-4, so I don't know if that'd work).

So, if Gekas scored highly, you could leave him in your team but could substitute out a non/low-scoring defender instead (Johnson, say) and still bring in Villa, changing your formation to a 4-3-3.

ahh thanks finally my team is up now

all you guys that know anything can you tell me if this is a reasonable team i have started the players that play early hence kaka on the bench but he will come in etc if players on field do not perform

If I were you I'd get rid of Barrios and maybe pick up a Mexico striker for the opening game, or put Xavi into the team.

Here's my team:

FantasyFootball.jpg

• If I make no changes to my team, then the game will sub out any player that doesn't play and automatically replace him with a substitute
  • The substitute chosen will be based on order of them being listed on the subs bench
  • At any point during the round, I can sub out a player who has already played, and replace him with a player who is yet to play in that round
  • If I make that substitution, the player I drop will lose any points he may have scored, and the sub will receive point.

So, for this round I'm going to start with Gekas in my team, and if he scores against South Korea I can choose to either leave him in the team or replace him with David Villa?

nice side mate

i have xavi in my side just on the bench as he plays later then the onfield players

i aslo have two mexican players in my side so i cannot play a mexican striker do you have another choice and who

Ah, great, thank you sir. :thup:

I've changed my line-up now, then, so that everybody in the starting line-up is playing the first few days and I can then sub people in as required.

FantasyFootball2.jpg

I'll be busy with the substitutions.

Edit: egosbar, you could get Pantelic of Serbia. Not a definite starter, but should get plenty of game time to get you some goals. Or, I've just seen Bendtner at 5.5, so he would be a great pick. Might shove him into my team.

Here's my team:

FantasyFootball.jpg

Mexico striker? Vela looks good value doesnt he?

New team

wcfteam.png

Still got £2.5m left, considered having Glen Johnson in for Kolorov and may still do that. May also get rid of one of the strikers for a cheaper option to spend the money elsewhere. Still can't decide on what goalkeepers to use either :(

I am not sure I am obsessed with having players playing the opening games in my squad, if they do well are you gonna keep them or still switch out for Spain/Brazil, etc ... double-edged sword, can see the benefit with captains

I have that potential dilemma. If Gekas scores a goal, for example, do I switch him out for David Villa for the later game in the round?

I think I'd probably keep in anybody who scored a goal, or any defender who kept a clean sheet.

JULIO CESAR

EVRA

VIDIĆ

PUYOL

TERRY

MALOUDA

JISUNG

HAMSIK

XAVI

MESSI

Captain ROONEY

Bench

WOONJAE

G OCHOA

OTAMENDI

GODIN

ASSOU EKOTTO

HONDA

M. VELOSO

PIENAAR

INLER

J HERNANDEZ

LAZOVIĆ

CAVANI

Thats my team, hopefully they should perform.Then I can be the best and become ruler of the world.

http://sports.peacefmonline.com/soccer/201006/46198.php

Link above from the french thread...

Also - Re Defending bonus from the rules;

Action Points

For recovering a ball * 1

For every 3 fouls committed ** -1

* The sum of gaining possession tackles and clearances completed

** A foul where a free kick is awarded

Do you think this means that getting good central defenders is better than left/right backs? Would Mertsecker be better than Lahm for example?

Guest roberto922

Yeah you can Delta... just drag the striker you want over to the defender you want to replace, then remember to confirm

Ah thank you! Was worried there that I had to leave Ronaldo on the bench.

Forwards Ronaldo Roony Villa.

But this game is blood confusing is there is a deadline every day to make make subs? How does that work? Is it once they've played that's it? You cannot change it?

Also I can change the captain everytime?

Before the the first game kick off?

So I can still sub now? Vela isn't playing for Mexico. So I can take him off and put Hernandez on who is playing. Hernandez is my sub. So lets say he scores an hatrick. Rooney, Ronaldo Villa don't. Do I get the points from Hernandez as he has scored the most?

Before the the first game kick off?

So I can still sub now? Vela isn't playing for Mexico. So I can take him off and put Hernandez on who is playing. Hernandez is my sub. So lets say he scores an hatrick. Rooney, Ronaldo Villa don't. Do I get the points from Hernandez as he has scored the most?

You can make as many changes as you want before the first game today up to 2.45 english time.

Substitution timing and rules are below;

At the start of each day (00:00 South African time) during the round, a substitution window opens. In this window you can:

* Replace any player that wasn't sent off with one from your bench who is yet to play.

* Change your captain, providing he wasn’t sent off, with someone whose team is yet to play.

On a matchday, the substitution window will close 15 minutes before the first kick-off.

The player chosen to bring in must adhere to the formation rules. E.g. if you only have 3 defenders in your starting 11, you may not replace a defender for another midfielder as there is no legal formation with only two defenders.

An unlimited number of substitutions can be made but only eleven players with one captain can score points each round.

Here are some reasons you may choose to make substitutions:

* One of your players goes off injured after a few minutes

* Your captain wasn't selected to play in the round.

* You are a gambler and decide that one of your substitutes will score more points than someone who already played in the round

I ready have 2 Spaniards. I don't have Dutch as they seem expensive and not worth it.

Plan is Raz is to have 4 players from each group of teams that I think will go through. The dutch group I dunno? hard to call who will finish top 2. I can see alot of draws.

Netherlands

Denmark

Japan

Cameroon.

It's not such a big deal in terms of choosing players for the group stages, can bring in 1 free player and there's 23 so England, Argies, Spain, Italy have decent groups can fit in a bunch of those ... before knockout stage you can shuffle it all around.

I think the Dutch are head and shoulders above the others there and the rest aren't much value for me, only really looked at RvP and Schneider for the Dutch

Archived