The Hibs & Romanov thread 06/07

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richey White:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I'm not putting positive spin on anything, nor have I ever done so. With regard to finishing behind Celtic, you'll not find many fans that have blamed anyone other than Rix or Romanov. We weren't cheated, we weren't hindered, it was solely down to club politics and it's a tad short-sighted to suggest otherwise. However, where we do gloss over matters is when we state how far the club has come in such a short period of time. Only 2 seasons ago Hearts were on the brink of bankruptcy and would have done well surviving 6 months (something most Hibbys would have been satisfied with) never mind finishing second in our domestic league.

Do I think we're a massive club, no I don't. Have we now got some ambitions that lie out with the SPL or beating our city rivals once or twice a year - AYE.

As for the players, realistically we only need 1 and that would be a central defender, so what's yir point? Our team was built in under a season and the 'gelling' period was virtually non-existent, so again, we probably don't need these players as we'll probably be a better team by having a pre-season under our belts this time round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put far too many "you" and "yous" in my rant, apologies. You were selecting specific opinions for our support, I was picking up on common themes I've seen throughout Hearts support. It wasn't directed at you apart from your impressions of the Hibs support.

The feeling I get from Hearts is one fo hot air at present, big name targets that are hyped (or not even named) and rarely executed. In the same position I'd just feel disappointed that a whole pre-season had been based on speculation and little else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, the majority of these guys are being linked with Hearts through the media, not Romanov himself. The same can be said about your lot whenever someone ridiculous is linked with Hibs. Didn't some numpties speculate about ZZ coming to Hibs not too long ago? Isn't it's strange that 'everything' is deemed to be true when it comes to the media slating Romanov, yet 'everything' is deemed to be unfounded bull when the media et al choose to focus their attention on certain Hibs players? The media either talk pish or they don't.

Anyhow, this wasn't my original point, my original point was how pathetic Hibs fans were when it came to how youse guys look upon the Scottish Cup and UEFA competitions as being 'unimportant' to a small club like Hibs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richey White:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:

Transfer hype and speculation is just a business strategy to sell season books.

Same with most teams to be fair - not just Hearts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's usually a bit more substance to other clubs. Hearts are at the stage now where they are linking themselves with players like Ahn and Portillo. It may be a cynical view, but it reeks of merely creating these rumours as a sign of how big Hearts are now safe in the knowledge that these players will go elsewhere. When a transfer seems to actually come close to completion (ie. Ahn) it dies a death funnily enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's correct the media only print sheight when it involves every club other than Hearts icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I'm not putting positive spin on anything, nor have I ever done so. With regard to finishing behind Celtic, you'll not find many fans that have blamed anyone other than Rix or Romanov. We weren't cheated, we weren't hindered, it was solely down to club politics and it's a tad short-sighted to suggest otherwise. However, where we do gloss over matters is when we state how far the club has come in such a short period of time. Only 2 seasons ago Hearts were on the brink of bankruptcy and would have done well surviving 6 months (something most Hibbys would have been satisfied with) never mind finishing second in our domestic league.

Do I think we're a massive club, no I don't. Have we now got some ambitions that lie out with the SPL or beating our city rivals once or twice a year - AYE.

As for the players, realistically we only need 1 and that would be a central defender, so what's yir point? Our team was built in under a season and the 'gelling' period was virtually non-existent, so again, we probably don't need these players as we'll probably be a better team by having a pre-season under our belts this time round. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put far too many "you" and "yous" in my rant, apologies. You were selecting specific opinions for our support, I was picking up on common themes I've seen throughout Hearts support. It wasn't directed at you apart from your impressions of the Hibs support.

The feeling I get from Hearts is one fo hot air at present, big name targets that are hyped (or not even named) and rarely executed. In the same position I'd just feel disappointed that a whole pre-season had been based on speculation and little else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, the majority of these guys are being linked with Hearts through the media, not Romanov himself. The same can be said about your lot whenever someone ridiculous is linked with Hibs. Didn't some numpties speculate about ZZ coming to Hibs not too long ago? Isn't it's strange that 'everything' is deemed to be true when it comes to the media slating Romanov, yet 'everything' is deemed to be unfounded bull when the media et al choose to focus their attention on certain Hibs players? The media either talk pish or they don't.

Anyhow, this wasn't my original point, my original point was how pathetic Hibs fans were when it came to how youse guys look upon the Scottish Cup and UEFA competitions as being 'unimportant' to a small club like Hibs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've already covered the UEFA Cup's importance, and your point is null and void regarding the other competition you mentioned. Yes, of course the Scottish Cup is unimportant to Hibs. Jesus.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Rhoades:

glad you're all loving F UCKING JONES!! icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe it's cos the others were so bad, but if I could give him 45 out of 10 for Saturday, I would. Machine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've already covered the UEFA Cup's importance, and your point is null and void regarding the other competition you mentioned. Yes, of course the Scottish Cup is unimportant to Hibs. Jesus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Half a' the **** that got said after your semi defeat you'd think it was deemed to be unimportant.

The Hibs mentality was summed up nicely after youse beat us at ER in the following derby game. How the league was more important as it got Hibs into 4th blah blah blah...

Ok, why did the hibs fans bottle the semi again? Was it because they thought we had an unfair advantage playing at Chumpden, was it because your young flair team was ravaged with injuries, was it because they couldn't be arsed making the 40 min journey to Glasgow, was it because the SC is unimportant or was it simply because they can't face the reality that their club is an overrated piece of pish?

In other words, most Hibs fans today have nothing to brag about other than the misfortune of their city neighbours as their own team actually do feck all and probably never will.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've already covered the UEFA Cup's importance, and your point is null and void regarding the other competition you mentioned. Yes, of course the Scottish Cup is unimportant to Hibs. Jesus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Half a' the **** that got said after your semi defeat you'd think it was deemed to be unimportant.

The Hibs mentality was summed up nicely after youse beat us at ER in the following derby game. How the league was more important as it got Hibs into 4th blah blah blah...

Ok, why did the hibs fans bottle the semi again? Was it because they thought we had an unfair advantage playing at Chumpden, was it because your young flair team was ravaged with injuries, was it because they couldn't be arsed making the 40 min journey to Glasgow, was it because the SC is unimportant or was it simply because they can't face the reality that their club is an overrated piece of pish?

In other words, most Hibs fans today have nothing to brag about other than the misfortune of their city neighbours as their own team actually do feck all and probably never will. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vlad's moneys going to your lot's head. Hearts are heardly the massive success story you'd think judging by the way you look down at Hibs, face it, we are BOTH utter failures. Fact.

Hibs fans bottled the semi final because (IMO) the odds were stacked against and many thought the pain of a seemingly inevitable defeat would be too much to bear. This is covered by some degree of honesty, and the majority claim kick off time etc. Wrongly. Also remember there were about 2,000 less Hibbys than Jambos there that day, and that you didn't full your allocation either.

The Scottish Cup means more to me than anything else, and will do for the majority of Hibbys. I'd rather lift the cup at Hampden than win the league in numerous aspects. The fact you think otherwise shows how little you know about the people your ranting and raving about.

I agree with both of you - I can;t see how you can devalue the national cup. For me, watching Leeds lift the FA Cup at Wembley would be better than lifting the European Cup in Brussels.

Anyone who thinks of the cup as peripheral is a loonatic basically; it's a fantastic, prestigious and histroic cup. Also, the Scots Cup is the oldest trophy in the world isn't it? Be mad to not value it.

I'm simply going by the reactions of those around me when it happened.

You'd prefer Hibs to win the SC rather than the league? icon_biggrin.gif

I agree with what you said about Vlad's cash as it's a tad embarrassing how some of our fans have reacted in that respect. What can I say other than we too have some deluded supporters?

The fact Hearts have achieved more respectable league positions than our brothers down leith, won 2 SC's and been more successful in derbies over the last 15-20 years tells it's own story when compared to the likes of Hibs.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather win Cup than League to be honest. Not that winning hte Championship is anything to be proud of...but it'd probably be the same case scenario with the Premiership.

Anyway, even though I do like Hibs and don't really like Hearts, good luck in the Champions League game. It'd be good to see Hearts in the Group Stages and hopefully finally getting themselves and Scottish football so more recognition down south.

Just don't win it, ok? icon_wink.gif

I'm simply going by the reactions of those around me when it happened.

I agree with what you said about Vlad's cash as it's a tad embarrassing how some of our fans have reacted in that respect. What can I say other than we too have some deluded supporters?

The fact Hearts have achieved more respectable league positions than our brothers down leith, won 2 SC's and been more successful in derbies over the last 15-20 years tells it's own story when compared to the likes of Hibs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So your our local rivals who have traditionally held the upper hand over us in one on one games and in league positions, now where has that got you? Two Scottish Cups since the end of the 50's and two last day disasters in the league. You truly are world beaters.

In many respects yes I would rather win the cup. Any time I've thought of success with Hibs since I started supporting them involved winning a finally winning the cup at Hampden. I know for a fact I'll great like a bairn when/if we do. The fact it's been so long, yeah, the cup means just as much to me as the league if not more.

I was meant to use a icon_redface.gif smiley rather than a icon_biggrin.gif. It looks worse than what I intended it to be.

Just don't see the logic in wanting a league trophy over a league title that's all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You arsed up that one as well.

It's not really logic, it's more tradition. Dates back to that derby in 94 at Easter Road I guess. I'd say we've never come close enough to a league to make me feel the same way, but I'd only get shot down in the message board equivilant of a Jambo coming an inch away from my face shouting "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WEE TEAM WEE TEAM WEE TEAM"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So your our local rivals who have traditionally held the upper hand over us in one on one games and in league positions, now where has that got you? Two Scottish Cups since the end of the 50's and two last day disasters in the league. You truly are world beaters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it's pathetic, I know, but if we're comparing 2 clubs that share the league with the OF, of course other league positions out with the top 2 are a significant gauge on how well both clubs have done. Take the OF out of the equation then you're left with 2 clubs that have achieved what has been expected of them, or not as the case may be. It's only in the last season that Hearts have had cash, yet we've still reached a few cup finals only to be beaten by clubs that thought nothing of spending upwards of 5m on a single player if they deemed it necessary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So your our local rivals who have traditionally held the upper hand over us in one on one games and in league positions, now where has that got you? Two Scottish Cups since the end of the 50's and two last day disasters in the league. You truly are world beaters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it's pathetic, I know, but if we're comparing 2 clubs that share the league with the OF, of course other league positions out with the top 2 are a significant gauge on how well both clubs have done. Take the OF out of the equation then you're left with 2 clubs that have achieved what has been expected of them, or not as the case may be. It's only in the last season that Hearts have had cash, yet we've still reached a few cup finals only to be beaten by clubs that thought nothing of spending upwards of 5m on a single player if they deemed it necessary </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the same is the case for Hibs in their successful periods when we were up against the Celtic team of the 70's. Fair enough £5m are not applicable, but it was probably the best team to come out of Scotland, or the tail end of it at least. We lost in cup finals, we finished second in the league, we have had the same periods of near success.

Historically we are very similar. Although Hearts had a good team in the 50's and the 60's that I don't know much about, the Famous Five and Turnball's Tornadoes have meant time has probably been slightly kinder to Hibs in terms of recognition.

The supposed gulf between the two comes from the fact that we both had a pathetic beginning to the 80's, and on the return to the Premier League we found poor ownership while you found Wallace Mercer. That period of recovery for us takes longer than people may think or remember, and is exemplified by the well known derby 'jinx'. Up to 98 you couldn't pick a better club over the 90's either.

I have no idea where this is going now, but a superior complexity over 2 extended derby runs and 2 cup wins in the last 20 years in justified I guess. My problem is that the level many Jambo's take it too (big team/wee team) is so disproportionate to the success you've had.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

serious question, not attempted gloatery. Must be tight. Can't believe I was actually working hard and missed this cat fight icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off the top of my head (just league games icon_wink.gif)

2005/2006

Hibs 2 wins, Hearts 2 wins

2004/2005

Hibs 1 win, Hearts 1 win, 2 draws

2003/2004

Hibs 1 win, Hearts 1 win, 1 draw

2002/2003

Hearts 2 wins, 1 draw

2001/2002

Hibs 1 win, Hearts 1 win, 1 draw

2000/2001

Hibs 1 win, 3 draws

1999/2000

Hibs 2 wins, Hearts 1 win, 1 draw

1997/1998

Hibs 1 win, Hearts 2 wins, 1 draw

1996/1997

Hearts 3 wins, 1 draw

1995/1996

Hibs 1 win, Hearts 1 win, 2 draws

Which makes it...

Hibs 10 Hearts 14 Draw 13

Take each game at the 85 minute mark however (whatever way you want, late Hearts or Hibs goals) and you'd have a very different tally icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Dine:

Chris Hackett that unoticable then? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really seen much of him as he's not really been given a chance. What I have seen of him though, he not been that great.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

What about 98/99? icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nothing happened in 1998/99. Everything was fine. We had an adventure, it was fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The best one has to have been the 4-4 in which we scored 2 late goals. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that will be the worst one. Worse than 4-0, 4-0. 4-1 or 5-1, that is the lowest of the low.

No it wasn't worse than 5-1. At least we got a point out of that. 5-1 was only a humping in the scoreline, it was unreal. I wasn't at 4-4 mind but I was at 5-1.

1-0 O'Connor 92 minutes was quite tasty. Never forget Pressley missing that absolute sitter right after Gaz scored.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

2-1 With Stampy and McKenna was fun too icon14.gif

Weren't the 4-4, 2-1 (above) and De Vries 5-1 all in the one season? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I think so.

Which makes it...

Take each game at the 85 minute mark however (whatever way you want, late Hearts or Hibs goals) and you'd have a very different tally icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Hearts just have the advantage in the past 10 years. ^insert Bobby Williamson excuse^

Now league positions. Obviously Hearts will lead this too but the one on ones certainly don't show you to be all conquering over us.

2-1 With Stampy and McKenna was fun too icon14.gif

Weren't the 4-4, 2-1 (above) and De Vries 5-1 all in the one season? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From December 2001, we had, in consecutive matches...

1-1 at Tynecastle with O'Neil in injury time.

1-2 at ER with a late Pressley penalty (88)

1-5 with De Vries' two injury time goals

1-2 with Mckenna (86) and Stamp in injury time

4-4, not even going there, though I think they official times were 89, 92, 94, 95.

1-0 with O'Connor's injury time goal.

Fun and games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

Which makes it...

Take each game at the 85 minute mark however (whatever way you want, late Hearts or Hibs goals) and you'd have a very different tally icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Hearts just have the advantage in the past 10 years. ^insert Bobby Williamson excuse^

Now league positions. Obviously Hearts will lead this too but the one on ones certainly don't show you to be all conquering over us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do it yerself ye lazy git.

I'd be struggling here. 4th and 3rd recently, Blobby's seasons are just known as bottom 6 pish, don't know where we finished. Before that 3rd, 5th, 1st icon_biggrin.gif, 10th (10 team league then?), 9th.....

No it wasn't worse than 5-1. At least we got a point out of that. 5-1 was only a humping in the scoreline, it was unreal. I wasn't at 4-4 mind but I was at 5-1.

1-0 O'Connor 92 minutes was quite tasty. Never forget Pressley missing that absolute sitter right after Gaz scored. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5-1 was weird. We were rubbish, no denying it, but I can't remember us being that bad in terms of a massive gulf between the teams, Hearts hardly played us off the park that day. We got it back to 2-1, crap defending made it 3-1, Townsley missed a sitter and Brebner had a stonewall penalty turned down then we got caught twice injury time. Scoreline flattered Hearts that day, or so I told myself cos I didn't feel that down after it.

I have never felt more empty than I did after 4-4 though. Forget the point we got, it was just horrific. That and Phil Stamp were the worst for me, as well as the two 4-0's last season.

Tbf, Rix let Hibs off the hook when any other half decent manager would have pushed for more, especially against 10 fecking men. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I thought at the time. You had a chance to put 7-0 to bed forever there.

Tbf, Rix let Hibs off the hook when any other half decent manager would have pushed for more, especially against 10 fecking men. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I thought at the time. You had a chance to put 7-0 to bed forever there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why the 4-1 last season wasn't as bad. ******** myself at half time, then they scored another. And then the game was just daft, why Hearts didn't attack I have no idea. Sproules run was fun though.

Ibby Ibby Ibby Tall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was hopeless but who cares because he scored icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just glad we've not embarrassed ourselves yet like the Hibbys did on Saturday icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

We have the premiership running feared! maybe.

You just got to love the Hibbys. icon14.gif A guy in my work stated that he's now seen all 3 clubs play (Rantic & Hearts) and now thinks Hibs have nothing to fear as he's thought Hibs pre-season performances have been better than the top 3. Ok, while he's entitled to his own opinion, what Hibs games has he actually watched? icon_biggrin.gif Have Hibs been playing blinding football and just been unlucky with their results, or his he just your typical deluded Hibby?

Anyone basing their thoughts on pre-season games deserves to be laughed at...

I'd expect Hibs still to do reasonably well again next year but I doubt they'll be as close to the top 3 as they were until about February/March last season.

Never watched the Hearts game last night but 3-0 is a decent result. I'd expect you to hold that lead across there and hopefully with a decent draw you chaps will join Celtic in the CL proper.

Archived