[FM10] A pilgrimage to the promised land

Hershie

Game: Football Manager 2010

Patch: 10.3

Leagues loaded: Spain, England, Germany, Italy, France

Database size: Large. Approx. 40k players iirc.

In my quest to finally settle on a long-term save, I had to take some time to think and look around for a team to manage.

After much thought I had achieved nothing, and so (inspired by Godlike_Trigger and to irritate Grecian) I settled on Plymouth Argyle - rivals of my Exeter City (where I will be most likely spending the next few years). :D

300px-Plymouth_Argyle_FC.svg.png

Division: Coca-Cola Championship

Year Founded: 1886

Stadium: Home Park

Stadium Capacity: 19430 All-Seater

Media Prediction: 21st

Continental Competition: None

My aim, as hinted at in the title, is the Premier League. Get there, stay there. I also want to take this save seriously and become a better manager for it!

Green Army! :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Career Summary

Season      League                Position          FA Cup         League Cup        Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]Plymouth Argyle FC[/b]

2009/10     Championship            1st            5th round        3rd round
2010/11     Premier League          3rd            6th round        1/4 finals         
2011/12     Premier League          [i]quit after 5 games.[/i]

Season      League                Position         TIM Cup        Other
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]ACF Fiorentina[/b]

2011/12     Serie A                     quit after change of heart. Added new manager at Plymouth.

Season      League                Position          FA Cup         League Cup        Other
[b]Plymouth Argyle FC[/b]

2011/12     Premier League            

Trophy Cabinet

2009/10 Football League Championship - Plymouth Argyle

2009/10 - Plymouth Argyle - Championship

Predicted 21st but obviously aiming for better, I tell my new employers that I'm aiming for mid-table, and get to work on bringing in some new faces. As always, I'm ambitious, and our low wage bill gives me room to bring in the likes of Kovalchuk, Nonda and Fernandez on frees. They're joined by the long-term loanees of Muamba, De Laet and Hughes from Premier League sides.

The season starts with a dull 0-0 at Crystal Palace, before erupting in emphatic and shocking fashion, as in our following two games we score 10 goals to thrash QPR and Cardiff (4-0 and 6-1 respectively), and although the next game is a poor away defeat at Derby, our home form continues in the same vain with wins over Sheffield Wednesday and Watford (2-0 and 6-0) sandwiching a great away win at West Brom.

By Christmas we're somehow top, having conceded just 1 goal in October and November combined, and although out of both cups (away at Premier League teams), our form holds out into the new year, but by March we're not playing as well as we should be. Thankfully our lead at the top is substantial, but every poor performance makes throwing it away all the more likely. The January window also sees the arrival of Papadopoulos on loan from Arsenal and the signing of Chilian newgen striker Ricardo Delgado for £1mil from Colo Colo - my first transfer fee.

As things stand, there are 36 games gone and we're 14 points clear of Newcastle in 2nd, who in turn are 8 ahead of 3rd placed Cardiff. We're guaranteed a playoff place, but obviously we're so close to winning the league I can almost taste the silverware. That's pretty weird. :o I'm shocked that we've been performing so well, but I'm not complaining! While I had envisaged it being 2/3 years before we'd make a push for promotion, it seems we've more than managed that already.

Thanks. :) I'm going to need to majorly sort out my midfield and defence, but the club's hardly in a great financial position so I'll have to tread carefully. Just hoping to survive.

I lost 3-1 at the Emirates in the FA Cup 5th round. :( Knocked Blackpool and Southampton out.

Good luck in the Premier League. Well done on doing it in your first season.

Do you plan to buy lots of players for the Premier League or are you going to keep your current crop and bring in a few faces?

Thank you! Really wasn't expecting it. :D

I plan on hopefully picking up some good freebees and maybe trying to secure a few players on loan again. Some positions I don't need to strengthen hugely, but those such as the fullback areas and GK need some investment! I can't see many of these players coping with the Premier League. :(

I think Papadopoulos' loan is until January so that's a good starting point.

Well I've taken my usual ambitious approach. Some quality players in on high wages, and thus a significant debt present right now. Hopefully they'll pay it off with their performances though. :) My new signings between them must have added £150-200k extra a week to the wage bill..

plyin.png

+ Shaun Maloney for £2.2m. All deals are upfront so while we may be in debt for this season, we don't have horrid long repayments. A worrying £15mil in the red right now, but I'm quietly confident.

We've played Man Utd at home and managed a 2-2 draw. Would probably have won if Enyeama wasn't continually playing terribly - a 6.1 in that game. 6.77 in 9 games so far, conceding 17.

Hoping that our home form is enough to keep us up this year. We've played 4 home games and managed 8 points.

5 games in a row coming up of Arsenal, Villa, Liverpool, City and Chelsea. :(

Plymouth 2-1 Arsenal :)

Villa 2-0 Plymouth

Plymouth 3-2 Liverpool :)

Man City 3-1 Plymouth :( (were truly awful - Storari stopped it being a cricket score)

Plymouth 1-1 Chelsea :)

Could have been much worse. 10 points above the drop zone with 13 games gone.

Our strikers have been shocking and our passing even worse.

I forced myself to play and I'm glad I did! We're on some fb form.

Just had 4 away games in a row and managed 10 points, while we scored 7 without conceding in the two previous home games. Started with an awful defeat at Bolton though.

We're 7th at the new year - that's insane! :D :D

Still waiting for our bubble to burst. Unbeaten in 8 and 7th after 22 games with 1/2 games in hand on all around us.

Yet to lose a home league game in charge of Plymouth. :cool: Game in hand vs Everton at home now.

edit: Flukey 2-1 win. They were 4th but we overtake them on GD. No chance we'll stay there. :D

This is just unbelievable. Seriously, I don't think I've ever overachieved so much over the course of a season. It's not even funny - I'm speechless. So many narrow wins and great individual performances that could so easily have been games lost.

THIRD ffs. What the hell do I do from here? Third with a newly promoted team.

tableb.png

:D :D

Fwiw, accuse me of cheating if you like but my conscience is clean. The occasional half-time holidaying etc, but that's it.

Well I'm feeling like this is going nowhere. Simply no chance of doing anything but going backwards now.

Resigning and then seeing what I can take next, or maybe adding a new manager at the end of the season.

:(

whaaaat why did you leave for? you done so well with plymouth you were even in the champions league i know you probably wouldn't have been able to match what you did with plymouth in the second season but surely in 5 years or so you would've created a dominant team like you did with nicosia.

I didn't think it'd be possible to get anywhere. The team wasn't good enough to keep up consistant high performances and, such is the lack of finance and small stadium, we were nearly in horrible debt all the time. Spent about £20mil to try and get some strength into the squad but even so the team looked shakey and there looked to be no way to repay the debt.

Suppose it's a rare lack of ambition/commitment by me to see it as a dead-end job, but as far as I could see it was a case of "too much, too young", and not to mention the lack of love for the club.

In 5 years chances are I'd have gone nowhere but backwards. :(

Maybe I'll go back at some point.

Great start to my career at Fiorentina with 5 wins in a row (3 league + 2 europe) without conceding.

Injuries mean that we're currently without our FOUR main attacking players going into a match vs Atalanta. No Gillardino, Jovetic, Afellay or Keirrison in the XI. :(

Hooray :) taking a club like Plymouth to the top is bound to take a few years of building mate.

Players who go from level 11 to prem have had years of building their clubs up in preperation. You went straight up so its bound to take a while to settle in to life in the prem.

Are you running two managers now?

Nah, I retired the other one. I can't get into two-manager saves, and there was no chance of getting back to Plymouth as my old manager due to being disliked for quitting.

New manager means no history for me though. Time to make some. :cool:

Archived