Liverpool FC 2008/09

Moreclaw

• Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could easily keep Alonso AND get Barry. Rafa stated the Barry money was already there last week and the sale of Alonso wasn't necessary to finalise the deal. Add to that the fact Rafa has also stated he sees fullbacks as his way of adding width to the attack rather than wingers, and we could see an Alonso, Masch, Barry and Gerrard midfield.

We could easily keep Alonso AND get Barry. Rafa stated the Barry money was already there last week and the sale of Alonso wasn't necessary to finalise the deal. Add to that the fact Rafa has also stated he sees fullbacks as his way of adding width to the attack rather than wingers, and we could see an Alonso, Masch, Barry and Gerrard midfield.

I'm not talking just about the cost of the deal. I'm thinking that if we have both then we have 5 central midfielders. Even if the fullbacks are going to get forward I wouldn't want to have a 4 man midfield all being central based players. Would much prefer to buy a high quality winger with that money.

Stoke agree fee for keeper Carson

Stoke City have agreed a fee of around £4m with Liverpool for England international goalkeeper Scott Carson, BBC Radio Stoke understands.

Carson was at the Britannia Stadium on Monday to open negotiations over personal terms.

The 22-year-old joined Liverpool from Leeds for £750,000 in 2005, but spent last season on loan at Aston Villa, making 35 Premier League appearances.

Carson, who has two caps for England, would become Stoke's record signing.

The proposed £4m fee marks a major reduction in the player's asking price, with Liverpool previously holding out for around £10m.

However, Carson was critical of his original price tag, claiming it could price him out of a move.

Aston Villa had been favourites to sign Carson on a permanent basis, but manager Martin O'Neill's interest appeared to cool with Tottenham keeper Paul Robinson emerging as a more likely target for the Villans.

Liverpool, who have already sold Peter Crouch to Portsmouth this summer, are keen to free up transfer funds as they look to finalise a deal for Villa captain Gareth Barry and continue to chase Spurs striker Robbie Keane.

Stoke, meanwhile, will hope that Carson follows midfielder Rudolph Austin into the club, the 22-year-old midfielder signing in a £1m deal from Jamaican side Portmore United.

£4m better than a loan i suspose. him having such a bad second half of the season at villa effected his price a lot.

Well i'd love to be England's number 1

Doubt you will find many english goalkeepers that wouldnt like to be tbh, so it is a big acheivement

WP on ridiculously taking a post out of context.

"Potentially becoming England No 1" isn't a big achievement for a professional footballer who plays for Liverpool, and is not a reason for him to stay. He could, potentially, be England No. 1 and be a distinctly average goalkeeper.

Thats a decent deal for all parties involved tbh. Carson gets first team Premier League footy and we get another £4mill added to the transfer kitty for a player who cost peanuts and was never going to be a first team regular.

All those people saying we should be getting more money for Carson should realise he has been on the transfer list for a while now and no-one has come forward until now with a bid. As Alanricouk said we have now recouped £6mill for him which is excellent business.

Carson was good business indeed, as was the Guthrie sale imo. Carson won't ever be England number 1, not with keepers like Ben Foster and Joe Hart around. I hope he does well at Stoke though.

I reckon there's room for Alonso and Barry if you consider Gerrard as more of a second striker. Those two alongside Masch with Lucas as back-up should see us through all competitions quite nicely.

Carson was good business indeed, as was the Guthrie sale imo. Carson won't ever be England number 1, not with keepers like Ben Foster and Joe Hart around. I hope he does well at Stoke though.

I reckon there's room for Alonso and Barry if you consider Gerrard as more of a second striker. Those two alongside Masch with Lucas as back-up should see us through all competitions quite nicely.

Masch? As backup? To anyone?

So is this playing a 3 man midfield or Barry on the left ?

We could play some sort of 4-3-1-2 formation and have Barry Masch and Alonso as the 3

It seems Ajdarevic may sign for us permanently, as he is having a trial from today. Nemeth is too good for a trial, and may sign for us on loan after the U19 championships. Hope he is as good as you lot suggest. Most excited I have been about a transfer at Elland Road for god knows how long.

ajdarevic takes a better set piece than anyone else at liverpool. i don't think you'll get nemeth though. he was a good first teamer in the top division in hungary before he joined us, and that's probably a better standard than league one. wouldn't mind if he did go there as long as gary mac actually plays proper, pass and move football like he says he will.

Juventus signing Poulsen doesn't bode well for the Alonso deal. I get the feeling he'll be staying.

Let's hope. In an ideal world we'll keep Alonso and never mention Gareth Barry's name again.

TBH I wanted Barry, but with the fees involved and the amount MON has been a bellend, i'd rather keep Alonso and not give in to MON's tactics.

Seems as though there is now only a £1mill difference with our valuation of Barry and Villa's £18mill valuation. Looks as though that deal will be done soon (can't see Rafa pulling out now, even though we are paying over the odds) but the Xabi news today is interesting.

Have I just heard right on SSN - apparently Barry can buy himself out of his contract next season for £2mill. If thats the case then surely we should just tell them to gtf and get him next year?

Seems as though there is now only a £1mill difference with our valuation of Barry and Villa's £18mill valuation. Looks as though that deal will be done soon (can't see Rafa pulling out now, even though we are paying over the odds) but the Xabi news today is interesting.

Doubt it, we were at this point 2 weeks ago and we've not bid since.

Archived