20 Jahre ist genug! The official Deutschland thread

Orzelek

Not concerned about the goalie positon the slightest bit. On average, whilst each one (including Adler) has its set of strenghts and weaknesses, they're mostly of a calibre, say, Capello (or Eriksson before) wish he had available, Adler or no. That is nothing new though - in contrast to other positions on the pitch, in Germany there has never been a shortage of good goalies so far. There isn't a clear standout like Kahn, Maier or Schumacher this time around, but Neuer's being watched for a reason.

With merely six players being older than 26 of age, and various youngsters that played the U championships recently, this will turn out to be the one of the youngest squads at the cup as is, not necessarily a good thing per se, naturally. Whilst there are things to worry about in both defence and attack, this is the most promising midfield in over ten years. The creative spark of players like Özil, Marin or Kroos was nowhere to be found in recent tournaments, and they're all not of the kind people think of when they think German football. Plus Schweinsteiger is in the form of his life, bossing Bayern's centre this season as if he had never done anything different. A different kind of fish than the 2002 squad that had its strenghts when working against the ball, rather than with it for sure.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question you have to ask yourself is, why has he left Hummels out, probably been the best german defender in that position this season in the league!

Hummels has been in great form this season. He scored against us when I went to watch Bayern up in Dortmund, haha. I'm a little disappointed he never made it in, tbh.

Hope KPB gets called up by Ghana and someone absolutely destroys him in the Germany match.

Ghana should be clever enough not to use KPB in that match. We'll see...

Hope KPB gets called up by Ghana and someone absolutely destroys him in the Germany match.

As much of a shock this news was when I got home, I disagree. Only saw the replay of the cup foul, and it was brutal, but there are certain things going around already that are being taken for granted. Boateng taking revenge on the DFB staff who didn't call him when he was still eligible for Germany, Boateng a member of the Ghana squad who is doing everything he can to give his team the edge, and most of all, apparently it's being taken for granted that this foul and injury was all done on purpose. Yes, it was a friggin' ugly bitch of a foul. But fairplay doesn't end here still.

The thing about Ballack is, that whilst he is the best German player of his now aging generation, he was a cornerstone of this team as the pack leader. Heck, please take a look at this German squad. U21 graduates a plenty and not many players with international experience under their belt. There is no way there is an 1:1 replacement for Ballack. But then there isn't for any other player. Despite having played over 70 times for Germany already, Schweinsteiger's now 25, about as old as Ballack was in 2002, and playing the season of his career. Proper chance for Schweinsteiger here to lift himself to an all new level.

And ****ing hell, what a tragic career (Leverkusen 2001, his own goal in the last match of the season in Unterhaching, and then the Bundesliga title race and CL finals 2002, his WC semis suspension 2002, WC semis 2006, Chelsea 2008, EURO finals 2008, and now this.) Think I'm gonna field our Kapitän one more time in my copy of PES 2010 now. :/

I am really worrying about Jogi's selection.

The success of Germany in World Cup 06 mainly thanks to the two superb midfielders, Ballack and Frings. Frings actually played a key role to the team, his aggressive playstyle and good ball-winning skills ensured the Germans could lauch attacks without too much worries, and Ballack, his allaround abilities linked up the defense and attack. With such a strong midfield, the Germans could done what they wanted to.

But just look at this lineup made by Jogi. Too difficult to find a played with good enough defense ability, don't tell me Schweini is that one, he don't deserve it, he is a good central midfielder but never an anchor man. And Kroos, Oezil, they're playmakers. Maybe someone will say Khedira is capable for this job but I really doubt this.

Jogi loves Stuttgart players too much, just remember the matches in the past, how many Stuttgart and ex-Stuttgart players he used. But some other good players he omitted, for example, Jermaine Jones, he's a real tough guy, who can fight with true spirit, which is hard to find in current Germany squad. And Hummels, the young man played so well this season in DM role but Jogi would prefer guys like Traesch. I understand it's his rights to pick up players he wants but this situation apparently to be a little unfair. And Podolski, many people think he does well for the national squad, but did he really fight hard when faced against strong teams not just San Marino?

I am really worrying about Jogi's selection.

I'm not.

The lack of a defensive midfielder of international quality is not the fault of the coach. Frings is only a shadow of the player he was in 2006 and with his physique deteriorating his lack of football IQ ( and any other sort of intelligence, really ) became even more appearant.

Hummels has been very poor as a defensive midfielder by the way. The guy is a talented player and did well as a destroyer at the U21 European Championship Germany won recently, but against adults at his club he couldn't perform. Strictly talking about the defensive midfielder role his teammate Sven Bender had a much better season but I think he has to undergo some medical procedures this summer.

Kehl is injured as usual, Rolfes too and Jones...please, the less said about that giant crybaby the better :thdn: I'm not sure he'd even be matchfit anyway.

Traesch on the other hand has had a fine season at Stuttgart and while I wouldn't have called him there is certainly a case to be made for his inclusion, especially considering the void in Germany's central midfield because of all the absentees.

Of course the usual whine about Stuttgart players can't be missing :rolleyes: Did you guys ever consider there are just many more current or former VfB players available, because integrating young Germans into the squad is an integral part of the current club philosophy ?

Regarding the lineup at the World Cup I expect to see Schweinsteiger as the new skipper alongside Khedira. Somewhat suprisingly Schweini played the more defensive part at Bayern this season, with van Bommel being the more offensive central midfielder. I'm a bit concerned about the defensive stability as well but I just don't see a better option.

Verdamt! :mad:

I really hope that this Kevin Prince Boateng will be unlucky for the rest of his career!

This is so unlucky for Ballack and Germany :thdn:

I really can't see who should replace him, but Schweinsteiger must take much more responsibility now then. And if I was Löw I really would recall Torsten Frings- he's still a good player and the team needs at least one very experianced midfielder

frings wont be recalled, thats official.

looks like there wont be a replacement for him.

schweinsteiger is a more than capable replacement.

they could play him behind özil who would be an attacking midfield, making a diamond formation with

kroos on the left and marin on the right.

I thought that Klose would've been promoted to captain now that Ballack's out? Still, I'd personally like to see Schweinsteiger take the armband.

I'm pretty sure the decision is/was between Lahm and Schweini. The rule of most matches for the national team played only applied to backup captains anyway and Klose just doesn't seem a leader on or off the pitch.

Can anyone on here give a prediction of how Germany will line up in their first game against Australia?

Long story short, i need to deliver a 10 minute presentation for my German course at uni, and have decided to do it on this game...could make up a team myself but would far prefer if someone with greater knowledge could post an expected starting XI!

Think Arne and Westermann might be higher in the bracket than Boateng

As for the Midfield, the Hitz/Rolfes/Ballack qualifying rotation is down and out while the attacking formation started as Bastian/Piotr/sometimes Jansen (Ozil was added later). So I'd say that scarf might try Sami along Bastian for the center and let Ozil roam along someone else (Piotr/Muller/Marko) or just by himself and half a three man striker formation

At least injury seem to be sane and force Jogi to play Kroos finally.

He's playing in the friendly now along with Sami in the center, however Bastian is supposed to be a starter so I can't see Kroos playing

Arne, Heiko and Jerome are all starting but one will be dropped for Lahm

Brazilian player Cacau scoring again, 3 goals on his last 2 games for Germany...

Although it's a shame they couldn't naturalize Grafite as well (and he was capped already for Brazil), so he would play for them and not for Brazil. :D

Brazilian player Cacau scoring again, 3 goals on his last 2 games for Germany...

Although it's a shame they couldn't naturalize Grafite as well (and he was capped already for Brazil), so he would play for them and not for Brazil. :D

Naturalizing takes time and patience and Grafite is your average journeyman, speaking of which Naturalization in Brazil on FM is a B*tch (15 years). Are they afraid of invading Argies?

Naturalizing takes time and patience and Grafite is your average journeyman, speaking of which Naturalization in Brazil on FM is a B*tch (15 years). Are they afraid of invading Argies?

Cacau is average as well though, and 15 years is not that bad, in the past it used to be 30 years...It's a national law, not a football one, by the way. It's only 1 year for people from Portuguese-speaking countries, and depending on the circumstances one can naturalize after 5 years. But for FM 15 years is more logical, as there has been only one naturalization in recent years (Sorondo from Uruguay), and it was because his son was born in Brazil (hence being eligible for naturalization based on the jus soli principle) and so after his son became Brazilian, he naturalized as well (as you can naturalize more easily if you have a Brazilian relative).

Although it's a shame they couldn't naturalize Grafite as well (and he was capped already for Brazil), so he would play for them and not for Brazil.

WTH does Grafite have to do with Germany - I know you like to take the **** out of that guy whenever you can. :D As for Cacau, Cacau has been making his living in Germany for over a decade now, he has taken the German citizenship and later got a call-up from Löw. There was a case of a Brazilian being naturalized, strictly to be eligible for Germany - big difference - it was former Paranaense player Paolo Rink. Fairly low-key player playing in a troubled German team. Well, occasionally... guy just wasn't all that. :D

Hope that Marin impressed Löw as much as he did impress me. The things he did to Valencia a couple weeks earlier... his dribblings are quirky cool and always lead somewhere.

I can't help it, Grafite really annoys me. And he plays in Germany, so... :D

By the way, he played down Germany's chance of going far in the World Cup:

He said Germany probably won't reach the semis.

That the manager is a in difficult moment, and there are too many injured players, he likes the tactical side of the team though.

And yes, I am aware of Cacau's and also Paulo Rink's situation.

Khedira, of course! I'd argue that he's already granted a place in the starting eleven now after Ballack's injury. Played a decent game yesterday too. The duo Khedira-Schweinsteiger in the holding center is pretty much set. Also Löw prefers a setup with a single striker, his favourite formation being 4-2-3-1, like in the first half yesterday night.

Grafite is probably right, of course. Just take a look at the squad, there's half an eleven of Under-21 champions from last summer already forming some of the backbone of the team. Might come a tad too early this, particularly in the aftermath of Ballack's injury - he's more than just a player for this lot. On the other hand, there's a fistful of players that are fully able to lift their young careers to an all new height down there, I reckon. Maybe they won't. But that's the beauty of football, you just never know what's going to happen really. :)

Well, after last nights game.....Westermann will also not be travelling, has a fracture in his leg, on his way home too to join Adler, Ballack etc.

Who´s next for the flight home? Have to say, Gomez should be sent home, got a goal last night but out of pure luck, although Germany played well, just had problems getting the goals, especially as they played better in the first half than the second, they got the goals in the second half.

I think as always though, at the WC the strikers suddenly find their scoring form, apart from the ones called Gomez!

Archived