Official The Netherlands Thread ; Best team never to have won the WC.

Micado

Braafheid ? :mad: Poor Netherlands

Yeah not happy with that as well, imo Bert should have called up Urby Emanuelson, but he didn't, instead Braafheid (he had a good season in 08/09) who struggled this season at both Celtic and Bayern and Anita, who had a very good season, but is young and unexperienced, out of those two I preferred Anita over Braafheid.

Nope hope and pray Van Bronkhorst stays fit or get any bans during the tournament.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got RVP as golden boot winner. 20/1. Thoughts?

Why not, if we have a good run (SF or more) he certainly can win it, he seems fresh after a lost season (Injuries, no prizes) at Arsenal and he scored easily this season, and did that also on Wednesday against Mexico, so it isn't the weirdest player to pick.

@ Red, not sure on your thoughts, I think he will give 100%, but my things is that his 100% isn't good enough anymore, that's why it is a good thing we have Anita/Pieters on the way for the LB position.

I'm really unsure about Gio. He will retire after this WC. This means that no matter how you put it, deep down inside somewhere he will not give 100%.

Pffff psychobabble of the cold ground. Easily countered with 'he'll give 200% because this is his very last chance of succes'.

If anything will make him play bad it's the fact that he's so used to losing after all those years at Feyenooit.

You can't give 200%. I hate it when people say that. The 110..150..200.. whatever percent.. THAT is actually the 100% :D

Gio can, that's how motivated he is :thup::D

Does anyone know when the jersey numbers will be decided? I wanna order my shirt :)

They have been announced/decided today:

#

1. Maarten Stekelenburg

2. Gregory van der Wiel

3. John Heitinga

4. Joris Mathijsen

5. Giovanni van Bronckhorst

6. Mark van Bommel

7. Dirk Kuyt

8. Nigel de Jong

9. Robin van Persie

10. Wesley Sneijder

11. Arjen Robben

12. Khalid Boulahrouz

13. André Ooijer

14. Demy de Zeeuw

15. Edson Braafheid

16. Michel Vorm

17. Eljero Elia

18. Stijn Schaars

19. Ryan Babel

20. Ibrahim Afellay

21. Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

22. Sander Boschker

23. Rafael van der Vaart

Got RVP as golden boot winner. 20/1. Thoughts?

I wouldn't take a punt on any Dutch player, tbh. There's too many players that can and want to score a goal, and I think the goals will be shared fairly equally between them. You'd stand more chance with a player whose team mainly plays through one channel.

Well, that was a good final repetition. We kept it reasonably close at the back. Affelay didn't impress IMO (nice dribbles, but no passing and shooting was abysmal), vdV did very well. Kuyt was OK. No doubt in my mind that up front vdV, Sneijder, Robben and RvP are set in stone.

That's who I would pick too, but I get the feeling that for some reason van Marwijk will play Kuyt instead of VDV. :(

That's what I think too, because including Van der Vaart would mean putting Robben on the right, which I don't think van Marwijk has ever done before.

Well, that was a good final repetition.

We have an other friendly coming up you know, so it was not the final repetition :D

No doubt in my mind that up front vdV, Sneijder, Robben and RvP are set in stone.
That's who I would pick too, but I get the feeling that for some reason van Marwijk will play Kuyt instead of VDV. :(

My feeling as well, but as you mentioned Bert will probably choose Kuyt over VdV.

That's what I think too, because including Van der Vaart would mean putting Robben on the right, which I don't think van Marwijk has ever done before.

Agreed, but he, Robben, does play on the right for Bayern, and he did very well at that position last season I may add, so for me I would play Robben on the right side, and Bert should try that as well, but Bert surely wants to have Kuyt in the team for his work rate I guess leaving Robben on the left and VdV on the Bench.

How comes you don't feel confident, Dutch always got a good team, 1/4 finals onwards you're capable of beating anyone on your day

Well, that is just the Dutch way of doing, having ***** loads of talent, but alway fail after the group stages for some reason. It is not only DJ, me and all my mates have the same feeling, we will survive the group, but after that it will be over quickly.

Agreed, but he, Robben, does play on the right for Bayern, and he did very well at that position last season I may add

I'm well aware of that, Micado, fwiw I wasn't disagreeing; was speculating what I think van Marwijk would do rather than stating what I would prefer. I too would like to see VdV on the left, Robben on the right and van Persie on top, but I doubt it'll happen.

How comes you don't feel confident, Dutch always got a good team, 1/4 finals onwards you're capable of beating anyone on your day

We just have so much previous impressing in the group stages only to get the short end of the stick in a QF thriller. Another 3-2 loss against Brazil might well be on the cards yet again!

I'm well aware of that, Micado, fwiw I wasn't disagreeing; was speculating what I think van Marwijk would do rather than stating what I would prefer. I too would like to see VdV on the left, Robben on the right and van Persie on top, but I doubt it'll happen.
I know, I was just expressing my frustration on the fact that we will never see such a line up as you described. I wonder what his ass. men think of this (De Boer/Cocu), they must see Robben played really well on the right side and should give this a chance..

We just have so much previous impressing in the group stages only to get the short end of the stick in a QF thriller. Another 3-2 loss against Brazil might well be on the cards yet again!

I really hope not, but it is better then the battlefield we had against Portugal in 2006.

Well, that is just the Dutch way of doing, having ***** loads of talent, but alway fail after the group stages for some reason. It is not only DJ, me and all my mates have the same feeling, we will survive the group, but after that it will be over quickly.

Whoa! It was Reddiablo who wrote those treacherous words :D

I personally think we have an outside chance, like always. To win it, everything has to come together though and it looks like I have my first niggle already. Any other four up front beside vdV, Sneijder, Robben, RvP is not our strongest. Yet van Marwijk insists on playing with Kuijt and he likes Affelay (lot of show, but very inefficient) way too much.

Ah sorry for that DJ, missed that :o

ofc it all comes together we can have a shot at winning the whole thing, but I don't it will come all together, we will have always some minor issues. We should find a common enemy (like in 88 we had the Bobo's).

But I hope I am wrong in this :D

I personally think we have an outside chance, like always. To win it, everything has to come together though and it looks like I have my first niggle already.

ofc it all comes together we can have a shot at winning the whole thing, but I don't it will come all together, we will have always some minor issues. We should find a common enemy (like in 88 we had the Bobo's).

The Portuguese would make a damn fine common enemy, given the altercations we've had with them in the past. :p

We're basically in the same boat as the English, the French, the Portuguese... good teams but not quite the best, basically QF sides who - with a favourable draw and a spot of luck - might get further than that.

Any other four up front beside vdV, Sneijder, Robben, RvP is not our strongest. Yet van Marwijk insists on playing with Kuijt and he likes Affelay (lot of show, but very inefficient) way too much.

Even though I stated my preference for just that front four earlier on, I do understand van Marwijk to a certain degree. Even more important than Kuijt's work rate is the fact that he is unselfish, which is not something you can just as easily say about either Van der Vaart, Sneijder or Robben.

Even though I stated my preference for just that front four earlier on, I do understand van Marwijk to a certain degree. Even more important than Kuijt's work rate is the fact that he is unselfish, which is not something you can just as easily say about either Van der Vaart, Sneijder or Robben.

Yep, he is a real team player, not afraid to help anywhere on the pitch if needed and unselfish, but can score the occasional goal(s).

• SI Staff

We probably get to face, and lose to Brazil. And we always choke, except in '88.

Robben is not even made of glass, he's made of sand. What a shame for such an immensely talented player.

My opinion regarding the Netherlands' chances: very small. As much as I'd like them to go far, this team just isn't strong enough. Of course there is always the outside chance, but the lack of top quality in depth in all areas and the fragility of Robben and Van Persie, leaves them with little chance of a WC win. I just can't see them get past Brazil, Spain, England, etc.

Holland have looked the best team by a mile in the friendlies leading up to the finals even without Robben, not sure how you can say they only have a very small chance. Spain look the strongest but after that I'd say they're right up there along with anyone else.

England have depth? :D

I do feel Ruben has a point about depth though; I think the first XI is excellent but the difference between the first teamers and the bench is pretty big. I shudder to think of Braafheid, Ooijer or Babel playing against Brazil.

Your depth in attack is great - that's never been a problem. It's been finding a defence (I.E. all four players, not just one or two) worthy of international football, and because it's been such a struggle it means the defenders outside of the first-XI are usually not very good.

Archived