[FM10] The Good Foot

Gundo

1146003img145987.jpg

The Good Foot

After threatening to post up my new career on FM for a while now I have finally got round to it.

Many of you who have followed Gundo's Challenge Thread the past few years will by now know I have a keen interest in all things Norwegian football and with that in mind I thought what better place to start my Career. I've started then as an unemployed manager with my past experience set to 'sunday league footballer'.

This game is played on 10.3, Large db, with all players in Norway loaded and the following Nation's leagues; Norway (all), Italy (all), England (top two) and Spain (top two).

My rough career plan is to use Norway as my starting block and build from there basically. The long term aim is to manage in Italy, if that takes five season or twenty five seasons then so be it. I plan to do end of season updates to start with and then once things get a bit more interesting, I'll add mid season reports also. I might add that my first 3 or 4 season updates my be abit smaller due to me having played out three seasons already.

Off we go then...:cool:

[b]Career Info
(Nation) Club           Club Rep. Increase Whilst In Charge     Time Period              Achievements[/b]
[i](Nor)    Vidar FK       Regional > National                     17.1.2010 - 3.6.2014     2.divisjon Avdeling 3 champions 2013[/i]
[i](Nor)    Bryne FK       National                                3.6.2014 -[/i]               Adeccoligaen champions 2016

[b]Manager Rep. Season By Season
Season    (Nat)Club                    Division                 Manager Rep[/b]
[i]2010      (Nor)Vidar FK                2.divisjon avdeling 3    Regional
2011      (Nor)Vidar FK                2.divisjon avdeling 3    Regional
2012      (Nor)Vidar FK                2.divisjon avdeling 3    Regional
2013      (Nor)Vidar FK                2.divisjon avdeling 3    Regional
2014      (Nor)Vidar FK/Bryne FK       Adeccoligaen             National
2015      (Nor)Bryne FK                Adeccoligaen             National[/i]
[i]2016      (Nor)Bryne FK                Adeccoligaen             National
2017      (Nor)Bryne FK                Adeccoligaen             National
2018      (Nor)Bryne FK                Tippeligaen              National[/i]

vidar.png

Vidar FK 2010 Norwegian Second Division Season Review

My first job came in the shape of Vidar FK an tiny club form the suburbs of Stavanger. We had Viking FK already paired as our Parent club so that should prove handy.

I will explain a little about the Norwegian league system layout. They have 3 tiers, top one being the Tippeligaen, next they have the Adeccoligaen and lastly the second division, which consists of 4 groups. Only one promotion place is available in each of the second division groups making it fairly difficult to gain promotion.

Vidar FK are a semi-professional as is the case with nearly all of the clubs in the Second Division. They have a Regional reputation and an estimated value of 100k.

Transfers.

Final League Table.

Managed to narrowly avoid relegation after being being fairly comfortable in mid table most of the season aswel.

Season  Club                League                   Finish      Achievements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    11th        -

vidar.png

Vidar FK 2011 Norwegian Second Division Season Review

It was like a different team this year, while never realistically going to get past Løv-Ham, it was a mighty effort from us. This sort of effort should stand us in great shape for an assault on the Title next term.

Players of mention; Per Christian Myhre our £1 signing from season one was outstanding pulling the strings in the middle or the park as our primary playmaker and contributing with 9 goals and 9 assists in 21 games, this is one player I want to take with me on my career with what ever club I'm at.

Transfers.

Final League Table.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    2nd         -

vidar.png

Vidar FK 2012 Norwegian Second Division Season Review

Another good season, but in truth one that had me a little disappointed come the finish line. We battled it out for top spot all season constantly swapping places with other clubs and just when I thought we had it won two other clubs, one being Vindbjart stole the Title at the last. Its was quite incredible to be honest because they hadn't been up their all season, they just came with an awesome late run of form in the last third of the season to land the spoils.

Player wise, Matias Hoseth a Striker on loan form Parent club Viking was outstanding scoring 15 goals in 24 appearances. Per Christian Myhre didn't perform as good as he had previous, but still did well. One problem I've had with him is his acceleration just hasn't improved at all and that's something I plan to work on by employing a new fitness coach in the close season.

Youth Prospects;

Geir Ove Holden a product from the clubs basic youth facilities, a local lad from Stavanger, has already earned a call up to the Norwegian under 19's, yet to earn a cap. Morten Granerud a bargain 3.5k purchase from Viking, a regular for the Norway Under 19's and some of my staff rate him as Tippeligaen level for the future.

Transfers.

Final League Table.

2012    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    3rd         -

We've done well to establish ourselves yes, It's still not easy as we are still one of the smallest clubs in the division, making it very hard to attract decent players to the club. Mr Ringstad is on our shortlist, he isn't interested in a move to Vidar just yet.;)

Mid-Season Report

Things going well after 13 games in the league and I'm pleased the way boys are playing. The race for the Title is competitive as ever and we currently sit 3rd, 2 points behind leaders Fløy and 1 point behind Ålgård, having just lost a home tie 1-2 against Fløy. I imagine it's going to be tight again and I'm sure we'll be there challenging come the end once again.:thup:

In the Cupen we had a great 2-1 2nd round win at home against Tippeligaen team, Sarpsborg, where Veteran striker Petar Rnkovic came off the bench to net 2 goals and take us trough. It was remarkable really as I'd only signed him as backup and he hadn't shown much form previous in the league. We where however ejected in the following round at home against Aalesund, going down 2-0 having fielded a slightly weakened side, 80k softend the blow.;)

Per Christian Myhre and Gier Ove Holden have been particular good performers thus far and they will need to maintain that form if we are to win promotion this year.

Off the pitch, I was linked with the Derby County job and Sandnes Ulf's vacant managers spot, only to swiftly dismiss these rumours.:D

Alot still to play for then...

vidar.png

Vidar FK 2013 Norwegian Second Division Season Review

Well finally we gained promotion to the Adeccoligaen, in what was a dramatic end to the season for all the contenders. It came down to the final game of the season with ourselves, Fløy and Ålgård all still in with a chance of the Title. Fløy were top with 53 points, we had 52 and Ålgård had 51 back in third. Our final game of the season was away to Fløy and in order to gain promotion we had to win. I wasn't too hopeful if I'm honest, as we have always struggled more in our away fixtures during my time at Lassa Gras (Vidar's home ground).

Fløy were 6/4 favourites for the game, so it wasn't going to be an easy task. The boys started fantastically and our top scorer Herrem raced cleared to put Vidar 1-0 up on 2 minutes. Fløy never seriously threatened the Vidar goal and then on 66 minutes Herrem again pounced to score his second of the game and put it beyond reach for Fløy. Fløy 0 - 2 Vidar.

Per Christian Myhre had a great season once again and after I decided to change his role within the system, from a midfield playmaker - to an attacking winger/inside forward, he contributed more to the team. This guy is going to be a key player again next season and will need to step up to the challenge. I made the 22 year old vice captain midway through this campaign, something that he was delighted with.:thup:

Former youth player Geir Ove Holden won his starting place in pre-season and remained first choice centre back throughout the season, averaging a fairly impressive 7.02 for the season. There is always a great sense of satisfaction watching a player who started out in the clubs youth ranks, develop right in front of your eyes. We rejected several bids during the transfer window for him, I still think there is maybe more development to come from him and I'm looking forward to see if he handles the step up.:thup:

League Table.

Best Eleven.

Manager Overview. My reputation was boosted with that league win, going from Regional to National.:cool:

Next season... Aswel as being 200k in debt already, our Board have decided to install under-soil heating at a cost of 700k! Survival will be the order of the day for sure.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    1st         Promotion to Adeccoligaen.

Vidar FK Pre-Season Report 2014

Not really sure what to expect this season to be honest, I think I will be more happy with survival. Incoming transfers have been pretty thin on the ground, players of sufficient quality have been hard to come by. I deemed it pointless to add average players to my squad, when I could keep the faith with the guys that won me the second divisjon last term. I did have one top youngster in my sights - Rune Berntsen from lowly Levanger, but it was difficult to get him to agree terms, although the chase for him continues...

We are rank outsiders for the league 16th out of 16 and we are heavily in debt, over 700k to be precise. After this season it will be 5 years served at Vidar and I'm feeling it about the time in my career I will need to evaluate what to do next in order to help me progress further.

playertransfer2014.jpg

bryne.png

3.6.2014 Breaking News...

bryne.png

Bryne FK have today announced the appointment of Gundo as their new manager.:cool:

So it's happened, I've parted company with minnows Vidar after four and half season in charge. It was a decision I didn't take lightly and felt it to be the right move in order to progress further in my career. At the time of my application for the Bryne job, I'd only managed 3 draws, no wins in 10 games and sat in bottom place in the Adeccoligaen. Bryne is a much bigger club with better prospects and so this is a great step up for me. Bryne were by no means having an easy time of it and also sat in the relegation positions and with morale at rock bottom, this isn't going to be any easy task getting out of this mess.

brynefk.jpg

Full update to come in the end of season report...

bryne.png

Bryne FK 2014 Norwegian Adeccoligaen Season Review

stadion.jpg

This was then a landmark season for me as a Manager and a vacancy that attracted me from the off, however it will be no easy job at Bryne, I've had countless problems to fix in my time here so far, including low morale issues and players just not getting on together. The real hard work I guess will start now, in the closed season, assembling the new squad and shipping out the trouble makers who are pulling the club down. Results have been inconsistent, as you would probably expect with the afore mentioned issues. I was unfortunately beaten home and away by Vidar, the home game seen us embarrassed 1-4 no less! Although I did have a cheeky smile for obvious reasons.

;) Vidar went on to finish ahead of us in the league on goal difference.

The time I had spent in charge this campaign was largely focused on what can I do now, that can help us for next season and future seasons, youth development, wage control ect. and of course we still needed to survive in this divisjon.

I went back to my former club for a daring raid on Per Christian Myhre, however I was out maneuvered by Viking FK and he joined the Tippeliga club for 80k. I will look at securing his services again in the future for sure...:(

I have few decent players here at Bryne, but most are attacking types. Our defence is okay, but is getting on abit and lacks pace and agility, so that's an area I will look to strengthen.

The players of mention then; Omar Kvam, Stavanger born youngster and a product of the clubs youth set up. He was one of our more consistent players, although he does have a tendency to pick up niggling little injuries. He is also our highest valued player, at 300k.

Alexander Ødegaard, an experienced winger signed from league winners Aalesund in the August transfer window for 20k. One of only two purchases I made and he arguably turned out to be our best player.

That second player I bought was promising young winger Rune Berntsen. Secured for 60k over 48 months for third divisjon club Levanger, he should be very decent in the future, my scouts and staff rate him very highly.

League Table.

League Graph.

Squad.

Finances.

Facilities.

Next season... If I can get the players I want, maybe a play-off push.

Season  Club                League                   Finish      Achievements/Info
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    1st         Promotion to Adeccoligaen.
2014    Vidar FK            Adeccoligaen            *16th       (left club after 10 games)
2014    Bryne FK            Adeccoligaen            *10th       (Joined with 20 games remaining)

Bryne FK Pre-Season Update 2015

We are expected to achieve a respectable league position in the Adeccoligaen this term, Something which I think is achievable for sure. The Bryne Board only gave us 1K to spend, so I made a small adjustment to the wage budget to allow some extra transfer funds (26k). Our main transfer in was, experienced Norwegian winger; Branimir Poljac. He should become a key signing if we are to meet expectations this season. Our only other player of note was centre back Simeon Ivanov, one of our scouts found him whilst scouting Bulgaria, he should help organise our back four. I did raid my old club for Runar Andersen, mainly to be kept as back up. I also managed to ship out, troublemaker Camazzola to Sandefjord for 22k, restoring harmony to the Bryne squad once again.:D

transfers2015.jpg

bryne.png

Bryne FK 2015 Norwegian Adeccoligaen Season Review

Interesting season then, I managed to achieve a play-off spot by finishing 5th, as was my personal aim, the Bryne Board wanted a 'respectable league position', so they're happy enough. So then after a 1-1 scoreline after extra time, we where defeated on penalties in this semi-final tie against Tippeligaen side Lyn Oslo. I didn't really have high hopes of going all the way, having had major questions of the quality of my defence or lack of. Our defence is definitely one area our team will need to be strengthened in order to gain promotion.

Elsewhere, Myhre moved from Viking Stavanger to Q.P.R, refusing our contract offer in the process and former club Vidar FK where relegated.:(

I have been linked with numerous clubs in England and one or two Tippeliga outfits, If the right offer came my way, it would be hard to turn down, the chance to manager one of the better known clubs in Norway. One of the clubs I was linked with was SK Brann, which was quite nice.:D

Player wise, Rune Berntsen was my personal favourite performer, closely followed by the mid season transfer window signing of former Bryne Midfielder Esben Ertzeid, he was a most impressive midfield goalscorer for us.

League - 5th.

Cupen - 4th round.

Fans Player - Michael Bekke.

Squad.

Finances (800k in the red).

Next season... The Board want promotion, I'll be happy with that, but it wont be easy.

Season  Club  League                   Finish      Achievements/Info
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    1st         Promotion to Adeccoligaen
2014    Vidar FK            Adeccoligaen            *16th       (left club after 10 games)
2014    Bryne FK            Adeccoligaen            *10th       (Joined with 20 games remaining)
2015    Bryne FK            Adeccoligaen             5th         Lost in play-offs

It's been Championship clubs in news items, one or two of them mentioned me as being favourite for the job aswel, the ones I can remember; Cardiff, Southampton and Q.P.R.

I've not got the game loaded up at the moment, so I'll check next time I'm on the Norwegian clubs Euro progress then.:thup:

Norwegian clubs in Europe have really under achieved and have been really disappointing. Not one Norwegian team has made it past the Europa League group stages, which surprised me.

In the champions league, I think just one club (Rosenborg) has made it to the group stages.

The national side however have fared much better than irl. In 2012 under the guidance of Egil 'Drillo' Olsen, they got to the QF stage of the European Championship, only to be defeated by Portugal. And in the 2014 World Cup with Kjetil Rekdal at the helm they made it to the semi's, losing to Spain 0-1 and then losing the third place play-off to Italy on Pens. Their current world ranking is 13th, highest was 6th!

• 2 weeks later...

bryne.png

Bryne FK 2016 Norwegian Adeccoligaen Season Review

I am ultimately disappointed with our final position of 5th place this season, having occupied the two automatic promotion places for much of the campaign. However I was pleased with how the majority of the squad performed and in particular my 80k pre-season purchase of an inexperienced but promising Kevin Fredlund from second divisjon side Ålgård, really paid off and his centre back partnership with Omar Kvam flourished. Fans player of the season though went to Fredrick Høie, the athletic winger provided plenty of fire-power down the right hand side of the pitch. Rune Berntsen also impressed again and has attracted alot of interest, however he currently refuses to sign a new contract.

The play off's then, well we where defeated by Lyn Oslo again, second season in a row! The play off's are a lottery in this divisjon and much more difficult if you draw a Tippeligaen club aswel, so I wasn't really expecting too much of the lads.

Only managed the forth round of the NM Cupen again, going out 1-2 at home by Adeccoligaen club Løv-Ham, having rested several players.

Omar Kvam was sold to Italian outfit Salernitana for 750k, an offer I couldn't resist for broke Bryne.:(

League - 5th.

Cupen - 4th round.

Fans Player - Fredrick Høie.

Squad.

Finances 127k.

Next season... The Board want promotion again and that will be my aim.

Season  Club  League              Finish      Achievements/Info
2013    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    1st         Promotion to Adeccoligaen
2015    Bryne FK            Adeccoligaen             5th         Lost in play-offs
2016    Bryne FK            Adeecoligaen             5th         Lost in play-offs

Mid-Season Report

Just a brief update guys... Great first half of the season so far, we proudly sit top of the pile. In fact we were unbeaten in the league after 13 games, that was until we met Hønefoss (recently relegated and league favourites), eventually losing that game 1-3, although I felt we were a little hard done by.

Adeccoligaen-2.pngBryneFK-2.png

Thanks crouchy.

I am still using that tactic, with reasonable success I would say.

I have this guy as my lone striker currently - Matias Hoseth.

I play him with the role of Advanced Striker, although not how I would want to use the lone striker in this formation. It has been working well so far (2 seasons) and the goals he's scored speak for its self.

In the long run though I want that lone role up top to turn back to a Target Man and be occupied by a player with similar abilities to John Carew irl.

My wide wingers on the other hand have benefited from not pumping the ball into the lone striker all the time and have weighed in with plenty of goals.:thup:

Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I've found decent Target Men to be pretty thin on the ground in Norway.:eek:

Hoseth looks like a decent all rounder. Interesting that you have him as an advanced striker in your 4-5-1/4-3-3. Seems like he is doing well for you in that role. :thup:

Weird that you can't find a target man in Norway. :eek: Let me know if you do find one and if you have any luck playing a lone striker as target man. I have tried it once on FM10 so far and found that my target man didn't work that well and really needed a strike partner. Probably just down to the player though.

I think the key with the lone forward is to give them the support they need. Hoseth has the two wingers supporting and two advanced playmakers attacking through the middle, each taking it in turn to bomb on and help him out, by arriving late in the box they also bag plenty of goals.

Sounds good to me. :thup:

I've only used 4-5-1/4-3-3 a few times on this FM and more as a specialist formation for certain games. I tended to use a support striker but have also used an advanced one, and, as you say, it can work well as long as the lone striker is getting support from the wings and the midfield.

I used a lone striker quite regularly in a 4-2-3-1 and had plenty of success with that, as you've got the AM supporting. The trouble I had was when using a target man player in that role. It didn't work for me, but as I say it may well have had to do with the player I was using. His flick ons weren't getting picked up by the supporting players and he wasn't enough of a goal threat. Maybe a 'target man attack' would have been better.

Anyway, I shall try not to take your career thread off its course by all of this tactical talk! Keep up the good work! :thup:

Rune Berntsen also impressed again and has attracted alot of interest, however he currently refuses to sign a new contract.

And at long last he puts pen to paper and signs a new 2 year deal with Bryne, with just months to spare.:)

bryne.png

Bryne FK 2017 Norwegian Adeccoligaen Season Review

Well after two play off defeats in the previous two campaigns, we managed to gain promotion to Norway's top flight. It was a greatly successful season which saw us Champions with one game to spare. I had a feeling this might be our year as early as the first few games, it just felt right to be honest. Nothing special in the cup again and we exited at the third round stage.

Fredrick Høie was awarded fans player of the year for a second season running. Matias Hoseth was crowned the clubs top scorer with 20 league goals, he became unsettled once promotion was secured and now wants to leave the club. Rune Berntsen had his best season to date and was simply awesome down the left, he could play at a much higher level. Youngster Kevin Fredlund (still only 19) was solid at centre back again and marshalled the back line well (3rd best defence in the divisjon). Another youngster of note was Kentil Flisnes, he was my holding midfielder and even know it wasn't his natural position he did a great job. He will in time become our 'Pirlo type' deep lying playmaker. :thup:

In the last few months of the season I have attracted alot of interest from several top clubs in the English Championship, with news stories quoting me as being odds on favourite to replace... ect.

Only other thing of note then was that I appointed Oyvind Leonhardsen as Assistant Manager.:cool:

League - 1st.

Cupen - 3rd round.

Fans Player - Fredrick Høie.

Best Eleven.

Finances.

Next season... If I get linked with or approached by a high stature Serie B club in Italy, It would be hard to resist, having said that leaving Bryne wouldn't be easy.:confused:

Season  Club  League              Finish      Achievements/Info
2013    Vidar FK            2.divisjon Avdeling 3    1st         Promoted to Adeccoligaen
2016    Bryne FK            Adeecoligaen             5th         Lost in play-offs
2017    Bryne FK            Adeccoligaen             1st         Promoted to Tippeligaen

Archived