The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That young guns website is a joke sometimes. Today he claimed Diego was the new Pato.

Pato is 2 years younger ? icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and I agree with your email Paul. I was thinking of leaving him a message before about that as it quite frankly takes the **** how he copies photos from multinational papers and then claim he took them.

Who knows. Wouldn't have thought so, but Wenger does seem to love his unkown Brazilians right now. Have you heard much about Pedro 'Pedrinho' Botelho PMLF? That youngguns site raves about him, and is claiming he is doing pre season with us, was he highly rated?

Have you heard much about Pedro 'Pedrinho' Botelho PMLF?

He played a couple of times for Brazil's youth teams, but apart from that he hasn't done much in Brazil so he is pretty much unknown here.

If that is the reason you'll find out the exact price as they would have to disclose that as well.

But the Eduardo fee wasn't revelaed properly was it? You had Dinamo claiming one fee and Arsenal saying another.

Arsene Wenger believes Russian magician Andrei Arshavin will go to England or Italy - and not Spain as the player himself prefers.

The Russian midfielder has proved an electrifying presence at the Euro 2008 finals as his unfancied team have made it to the semis against Spain.

His impressive performances against Sweden and Holland have come after the player inspired Zenit St Petersburg to their Uefa Cup triumph over Rangers in Manchester.

Such fantastic play has led the midfield dynamo to become one of the hottest properties in world football.

Arshavin himself has spoken of how joining Barcelona - who he has supported all his life - would be a 'dream'.

But the canny Wenger - who has proved himself a great judge in the transfer market - believes the Russian will be bound for the Premier League or Serie A.

Quite amazing

He said: "What is quite amazing is that Russia is the only country where a player like Arshavin suddenly comes to the world's attention at the age of 27. That is not possible anywhere else.

"I wish I'd seem him at 21 or 22. I predict he will come to the Premier League, or go to a big club in Italy. The way he plays is something very special."

He added: "He could be tempted by wanting to play in the best league, of course. And it could happen. Would you be surprised? If you ask me do I think he will be in the Premier League? I would say yes because that's a prediction."

But Wenger admitted he does not know the situation at Zenit, or whether the player wishes to stay with the Russian side.

"Maybe he'll want to stay because they play in the Champions League."

Wenger has had a lot to say about Arshavin recently, I can't work out whether or not it means anything.

Originally posted by Francis Cole:

But the Eduardo fee wasn't revelaed properly was it? You had Dinamo claiming one fee and Arsenal saying another.

If i remember rightly, that was actually a case of the Dinamo chairman saying he thought Eduardo was worth as much as Henry, and the amazing media over here reporting that as 'Arsenal sign Eduardo for £16m'

A club like Barcelona must respect a little more the intimacy of a club that never makes 'noise' and that tries to do things well like Arsenal. In the last few weeks it's come out that Barcelona want at least 7 players from Arsenal and this is not necessary. These things cast doubts on our players and upsets them. Arsenal do things in a different way. Always in secret. This is much more normal.

Cesc again, and again what a hero :**)

Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

If i remember rightly, that was actually a case of the Dinamo chairman saying he thought Eduardo was worth as much as Henry, and the amazing media over here reporting that as 'Arsenal sign Eduardo for £16m' </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certain Dinamo announced it as £8.5m, a while later.

Originally posted by BJG123:

To be fair, if you're basing your opinion on one tournament rather than the 2 years he's spent in the premiership then aren't you guilty of exactly the same thing?

Jesus Christ on a tricycle, I said "based on the Euros". I basically listed a few players I liked based on the Euros. Is that too hard to comprehend?

Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

Wicks wouldn't be hating on our second best centre back last season (You know who the best was icon_cool.gif ), surely.

It aint hatin icon_wink.gif When the end of season DVD comes out have a look how many goals we conceded thanks to his poor defending. Bolton away, Boro home, Chelsea away, Derby away off the top of my head. His positioning used to be World Class but has gone down a lot after Xmas.

Nasri...finally...please. Wrap this shiz up icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Funky Chicken:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

Wicks wouldn't be hating on our second best centre back last season (You know who the best was icon_cool.gif ), surely.

It aint hatin icon_wink.gif When the end of season DVD comes out have a look how many goals we conceded thanks to his poor defending. Bolton away, Boro home, Chelsea away, Derby away off the top of my head. His positioning used to be World Class but has gone down a lot after Xmas.

Nasri...finally...please. Wrap this shiz up icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sad enough and have enough time to investigate those claims.

Bolton 1st goal - Diaby does not track the full back, clichy casual in closing him down and he crosses to some guy that Kolo was marking. Nothing to do with Gallas.

2nd goal - Clichy gives it to Flamini in a tight area in the edge of our penalty box, he gives it away bolton score, again, nothing to do with Gallas.

Boro goal - Long ball down the pitch, Kolo plays everyone onside, fails to stop a great pin point cross and Gallas cant keep up with Aliadiere. Wouldnt say its his fault though.

Chelsea first goal - Ok so Gallas fails to win the ball in the air, but then again Drogba is offside so I'll blame the linesman icon_biggrin.gif

Second goal - Gallas again looses out in the air so he's definately partially at fault, Kolo could have done more to stop Drogba too though.

Derby 1st goal is just a shambles from everyone, but ultimately Gallas is marking moore who doesnt score so its not his fault, second goal I dont need to watch to know it was nothing to do with willy.

So 1, maybe 2 goals where gallas could have done better, you could say that about pretty much every defender even the likes of Rio and Vidic.

Its funny how Gallas was solid but suddenly after the Brum game every goal is his fault according to some.

Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A club like Barcelona must respect a little more the intimacy of a club that never makes 'noise' and that tries to do things well like Arsenal. In the last few weeks it's come out that Barcelona want at least 7 players from Arsenal and this is not necessary. These things cast doubts on our players and upsets them. Arsenal do things in a different way. Always in secret. This is much more normal.

Cesc again, and again what a hero :**) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wasn’t given a chance, poor lad. icon_frown.gif

Seeing as Downs appears to be in a grumpy mood, I thought this might cheer him up. icon_cool.gif

Emmanuel Adebayor is in good company. In the Premier League era for Arsenal, only Ian Wright and Thierry Henry have managed to bag 30 or more goals in a season.

But the Togolese accomplished much, much more than just goals in 2007/08, and a look at the facts bears this out.

For starters, the hard work the rangy front-man has put in since his arrival in 2006 came to fruition last season. In the League, the regularity of his strikes went from, in 2006/07, one every 3.6 appearances to one every 1.5. By comparison, more decorated Premier League marksmen like Dimitar Berbatov and Wayne Rooney notched one every 2.4 and 2.5 appearances respectively.

So in his primary duty Adebayor’s improvement was palpable, as was his unfaltering work-ethic. He put in the miles and was a clear advocate of the ‘defending from the front’ theory, making 22 tackles. That’s just as well because Arsenal’s No 25 had to shoulder a huge burden up front. Injuries robbed Emmanuel of a steady partner, so much so that Cesc Fabregas was second in the list of goalscoring Gunners with 13.

At the peak of his powers in the Premier League Adebayor was unplayable, intertwining bulldozing power with a fleet-of-foot reminiscent of one Thierry Henry. He would stretch defences and act as a link between the forward-thrusting midfielders in the team — his tally of 209 passes eclipses those of Didier Drogba, 117, and Fernando Torres, 161.

It is an old adage, and commentators often appear shocked, that ‘the big man has such great feet’, but that came to be expected of Adebayor. His sureness of touch often gave him a head start on defenders, and his willingness to roam the channels with or without the ball was another clear indication of a his football intelligence. He completed 53 per cent of his dribbles, a better rate than that of Torres.

As the numbers show, the impact of Emmanuel on Arsenal last season was incredible. He became, it is fair to say, the complete striker. Give him the ball and he could score, of course, but his all-round contribution, on and off the field, ultimately helped his team-mates flourish too.

What is more, for a measure of what is to come you need only look at the statistics of the Club’s record scorer. Henry bagged 24 League goals in his third season, the same as Adebayor just achieved in his. History tells us that was only the start.

Ade.Is.The.F**king.King. icon_mad.gif

Goon those were off the top of my head. I only recalled those games in a few seconds as I was there and noticed he was at fault straight away before any highlights. The Boro goal especially was ridiculous defending as he just stopped. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that his performances have gone downhill during our slump. Aston Villa at the Emirates after Birmingham could have easily scored 6 against us with more clinical finishing.

Wenger himself has stated numerous times his concern with the centre of defence (albeit with Toure coming back from the African Nations as Cygan mark II). Would he get in the 97/98 team, as thats the benchmark imo. Also perhaps people could back up why he had such a good season defensively instead of dismissing my posts. Cheers icon_wink.gif

Now you are moving on to Cygan hate, ffs have you no shame?

Cygan was and always will be fb.

and our slump came because Eduardo got injured and because Wenger put a clearly out of form and unfit Kolo Toure straight into the side, displacing Big Phil who was comfortably one of our best players at the time.

F**king hell, we have a live one.

Football forum not as intimidating as OTF, this is going to be a regular occurrence. We have to make it hostile in here again tbh.

Arshavin trying to get Barca to buy him, leaves us with a whiny 'OMG it's busy in London' Belorussian, he descends into an even more timid man around the 18 yard box, lose the ball to Lescott, Everton break, we finish 6th.

Paint quite a picture, eh?

6th? I would be delighted with that, 8th at the most tbh.

We sell Ade for £20m. We then go after Santa Cruz, Eto'o, Villa etc but Wenger breaks out in a rash when he sees how much the clubs want for him. 31st August arrives and we still have no replacement and oc RvP is injured. Wenger then panics and buys a 38 year old Obafemi Martins and gives them Bendtner and Theeooooooooo in a swap deal.

Originally posted by Funky Chicken:

Goon those were off the top of my head. I only recalled those games in a few seconds as I was there and noticed he was at fault straight away before any highlights. The Boro goal especially was ridiculous defending as he just stopped. Perhaps it isn't a coincidence that his performances have gone downhill during our slump. Aston Villa at the Emirates after Birmingham could have easily scored 6 against us with more clinical finishing.

Wenger himself has stated numerous times his concern with the centre of defence (albeit with Toure coming back from the African Nations as Cygan mark II). Would he get in the 97/98 team, as thats the benchmark imo. Also perhaps people could back up why he had such a good season defensively instead of dismissing my posts. Cheers icon_wink.gif

Because I'm not saying Gallas was brilliant you picked him out as being poor.

He was generally solid, and you can say you just picked it out from the top of your head but the real reason is he has not actually been that bad.

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BJG123:

To be fair, if you're basing your opinion on one tournament rather than the 2 years he's spent in the premiership then aren't you guilty of exactly the same thing?

Jesus Christ on a tricycle, I said "based on the Euros". I basically listed a few players I liked based on the Euros. Is that too hard to comprehend? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liking players based on the Euros and wanting to sign them because of it are two completely seperate things.

Originally posted by MixitupMixitdictator:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cygan was and always will be fb.

daft comment IMO, he was a slow liability </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at CB he wasn't. Was at left back, and ludicrously on occasion, left midfield but at CB? He really wasn't nope.

Originally posted by MixitupMixitdictator:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Cygan was and always will be fb.

daft comment IMO, he was a slow liability </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eto'o so slow icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by yovan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ajw10:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A club like Barcelona must respect a little more the intimacy of a club that never makes 'noise' and that tries to do things well like Arsenal. In the last few weeks it's come out that Barcelona want at least 7 players from Arsenal and this is not necessary. These things cast doubts on our players and upsets them. Arsenal do things in a different way. Always in secret. This is much more normal.

Cesc again, and again what a hero :**) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He wasn’t given a chance, poor lad. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After reading that again, I find it quite funny. A year ago Cesc and his former agent were making a lot of noise in Spain.

Originally posted by yovan:

His former agent was on every Spanish program talking about Real Madrid not so long ago. And Cesc wasn’t exactly upset about it.

Didnt he get rid of his agent after that?

Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yovan:

His former agent was on every Spanish program talking about Real Madrid not so long ago. And Cesc wasn’t exactly upset about it.

Didnt he get rid of his agent after that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don’t think it was the reason he got rid of him if that’s what you mean.

Archived