The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by xnellyrx:

nah you're not allowed to move clubs for more money at all, even if its to a bigger club, you're still a mercenary. these foreigners should who have no real connection with spurs and nothing to repay them for, should be more loyal to the ****ing club imo.

I agree

Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J4m1e:

£15.8m...wasn't it meant to be less than that?

We don't know how that's structured tbh, could be a bunch of different potential add-ons and stuff.

Although with the Ramsey deal we just handed over a full briefcase so it's anybodies guess. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the most pleasing aspect of his transfer for me, the fact that Wenger went all in with a straight £5million and didn't fanny about. It shows me that he is learning to play hardball a bit better when in competition with other clubs and that he rates Ramsey very highly.

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brett.spurs:

Arshavin vs Ooijer I agree with SD, sign him up icon14.gif

Wp, brett, pick one of very few mistakes. Just forget that he made Luca Toni anonymous and made Henry look like Darren Bent. I also said he would be good back-up, not sliding straight into the side. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon goon could have made Luca Toni look anonymous and Henry look like Darren Bent judging by their form this tournament. Ooijer (and the superior Mathijsen) was hardly the only one to do so.

And for anyone else trying to be a tit, just watch the Dutch games again. If you say Ooijer wasn't good then you are a complete clown tbh. Or is the Euros some parallell dimension where playing well doesn't count?

He played pretty well. The Dutch defence did alright as a unit generally but France/Italy are hardly great shakes going forward right now, and as soon as they came up against a decent side in Russia they were exposed. Like I said though, your lookout who you want Arsenal to sign. Reckon everyone else would p*ss themselves laughing were it to happen though.

Originally posted by arseneknows:

What is the general opinion on Nasri then? He is very rough around the edges, needs some work. but, again, you can just see hes got great potential. I think its an awesome signing. Just what we need.

I'm glad hes signed but i wouldn't say potential is just what we need, we need the finished product aswell as potential. Seems like we don't have the bank balance though.

I got some transfer advice again for you guys. I already pointed you to Babel and Sneijder, so you know I bring quality.

Here it is:

Sign Nigel de Jong!

Arsenal got this pretty team with all these pretty players that are floating around the pitch with their technical skills.

They need someone to work. Someone who cleans up all the mess the attacking players leave behind.

Nigel de Jong will do that for you. Add to that he's a street footballer from Amsterdam, so he's got the technical skills too.

He's just 23 years old, but has plenty of first team experience. He showed this EC that he gets along well at top level.

I'd love him but isn't he a bit small? That was a problem with Flamini, we had no-one with height in our central defensive area, hence our problem with the long ball. Yaya Toure would be my ideal choice for that role but I wouldn't say no De Jong.

It will be Ramsey who takes up the role though.

Originally posted by yido05:

By all accounts hes been quite bad for HSV over the past few years.

Uhm what?

He played every match last season and manager Huub Stevens called him his best player of the last season. HSV also wants De Jong to sign a new deal.

Arsenal got this pretty team with all these pretty players that are floating around the pitch with their technical skills.

They need someone to work. Someone who cleans up all the mess the attacking players leave behind.

Don't think you'll find anybody disagreeing with that here. I already miss Flamini. icon_frown.gif

Haven't really been paying attention to De Jong, being stood next to a man mountain will probably do that to you though. Did notice in the last game that as the game went on and the Dutch defence decided to stop defending the Russian counter-attacks, he was quite often further back than the defence clearing things up.

Originally posted by josh_b:

I'd love him but isn't he a bit small? That was a problem with Flamini, we had no-one with height in our central defensive area, hence our problem with the long ball. Yaya Toure would be my ideal choice for that role but I wouldn't say no De Jong.

It will be Ramsey who takes up the role though.

He's fairly small (1.74m) but he's a good header. He has scored plenty of goals with his head too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal got this pretty team with all these pretty players that are floating around the pitch with their technical skills.

Don't think you'll find anybody disagreeing with that here. I already miss Flamini. icon_frown.gif

Haven't really been paying attention to De Jong, being stood next to a man mountain will probably do that to you though. Did notice in the last game that as the game went on and the Dutch defence decided to stop defending the Russian counter-attacks, he was quite often further back than the defence clearing things up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His role this EC was to clean up all the mess Robben, Van Persie, Van der Vaart and Sneijder leave behind. He did that extremely well.

Against France he had to mark Ribery which worked well.

His best match he played, ironically, against Russia. Every other Dutch players seemed to be lazy that match so Nigel had to do a lot of work.

Originally posted by Dutch Dave:

I got some transfer advice again for you guys. I already pointed you to Babel and Sneijder, so you know I bring quality.

Here it is:

Sign Nigel de Jong!

Nigel de Jong will do that for you. Add to that he's a street footballer from Amsterdam, so he's got the technical skills too.

He's just 23 years old, but has plenty of first team experience. He showed this EC that he gets along well at top level.

I suggested him in the old team thread after the first 3 games icon_cool.gif

But seriously, i've liked the look of him in the games this tourney, if hes been doing ok for HSV then all the better. Very dynamic and athletic.

Do agree with the size issue but then Flamini did brilliantly. De Jong looks like he wants to get stuck in too.

NASRI DEAL NOT YET DONE

Samir Nasri's agent has denied reports that his client has completed a move to Arsenal.

It had been reported on the player's official website, in a statement subsequently removed, that Arsenal had secured Nasri's services for a fee of €20million (£15.8million).

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has made no secret of his admiration for the Marseille schemer but it would appear talk of a deal for the 20-year-old is somewhat premature.

Marseille spokeswoman Nathalie Paoli said the deal "still has to be finalised between Arsenal and Olympique Marseille", and now the player's agent has moved to clarify the situation.

Jean-Pierre Bernes told AFP that while talks are ongoing, nothing has been confirmed.

"Discussions are continuing between the two clubs and the player," said Bernes. "Nothing has been finalised, no element of the transfer has been finalised and everybody is still talking. It is premature to announce anything at all."

icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by xnellyrx:

if its 15.8 million pounds sterling. i will laugh quite a bit if im honest.

I still havent stopped laughing at the ridiculous fee that you payed for Bent.

Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

No, goon, it wouldn't be the same at all, but explaining things to you is like pulling wisdom teeth, so I won't bother.

Ah sorry, forgot Boumsong is black. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, yes that's it.

Originally posted by arseneknows:

So everyone pretty much disagrees with you but you won't let it go. I thought I was the only one??

Cesc agrees with me, and well, if you're basing judgement on that one clip with Arshavin and overlooking his performances against Italy and France then you quite frankly have no place to forward an argument. Either come up with a decent argument saying why he wasn't very good in the Euros, or **** off

Originally posted by aqnfiqw:
NASRI DEAL NOT YET DONE

Samir Nasri's agent has denied reports that his client has completed a move to Arsenal.

It had been reported on the player's official website, in a statement subsequently removed, that Arsenal had secured Nasri's services for a fee of €20million (£15.8million).

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has made no secret of his admiration for the Marseille schemer but it would appear talk of a deal for the 20-year-old is somewhat premature.

Marseille spokeswoman Nathalie Paoli said the deal "still has to be finalised between Arsenal and Olympique Marseille", and now the player's agent has moved to clarify the situation.

Jean-Pierre Bernes told AFP that while talks are ongoing, nothing has been confirmed.

"Discussions are continuing between the two clubs and the player," said Bernes. "Nothing has been finalised, no element of the transfer has been finalised and everybody is still talking. It is premature to announce anything at all."

Haha, this transfer is an utter farce icon_biggrin.gif

Dutch Dave, if the media have been right (and they often aren't) Arsenal have been after De Jong before. He seems like a very useful player. I'm not quite sure where Ramsey will fit into the team yet, but maybe he is eyed for a similar role.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arseneknows:

So everyone pretty much disagrees with you but you won't let it go. I thought I was the only one??

Cesc agrees with me, and well, if you're basing judgement on that one clip with Arshavin and overlooking his performances against Italy and France then you quite frankly have no place to forward an argument. Either come up with a decent argument saying why he wasn't very good in the Euros, or **** off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woh there. I don't even care. I meant I thought I was the only one who won't let stuff go, according to some of you, but your little rant proves otherwise. By the way, please don't tell me to **** off.

Don't post utter crap and I won't. Either join in on the discussion, or **** off. Don't sit on the sideline and take a slash.

As defenders go, Ooijer would fit in nicely as back-up. He wouldn't cost much either. I never said he was going to be a world star or beat Gallas. He just impressed a lot of people with his performances, as did the Dutch team in general. He certainly did more than a lot of these other great stars who get hyped up based on nothing and did **** all in the Euros.

Finding a defender who is better than Senderos and who won't leave Gallas or Toure out of the side will be difficult for Wenger. He wants a more powerful and imposing defender who can handle long balls. It will be interesting to see who fits the bill. Wenger might not buy anyone, but he certainly said he was after a defender when the season ended.

Rumours around Hleb seem to have died down lately as well. I wouldn't mind him staying, adding nice depth to the squad, but he isn't a player I would hate to see leave either. Nasri will do his job but add finishing to the equation as well going by some of his Marseille performances.

I'd go for someone like Ooijer if he was a few years younger. Solid without being spectacular. Someone in his mould but a few years younger will be ideal. However no one will join over to play 2 fiddle at any age over 23. If we get someone younger we block the progress of our reserve 3 defenders.

Have a feeling Nordveidt will be given ago, see if he cuts the mustard. Otherwise I can see someone coming in Jan if Juroo or Senderos fail again.

CESC FABREGAS has ended speculation over his future by pledging to stay at Arsenal.

The midfielder has been in sparkling form for Spain during Euro 2008 and converted the winning penalty in his country's quarter-final shootout triumph over Italy.

And Fabregas has now dismissed rumours he will move away from the Emirates by revealing he is totally committed to the Gunners.

He said: "My future is with Arsenal and I am very happy to stay there.

“Everyone treats me very well in London and I have no reason to leave.

"I will never play for a club where I am not comfortable with the manager. It is true that Arsene Wenger has helped me a lot and I can only thank him for everything he has done for me.

"I owe him a lot but if I want to stay at Arsenal, it is because I have trust in the team and I am comfortable to stay there.

"I feel very important there and the day that changes will be when I want to have a new club.

"I don't know if I will return to Spain. It is very difficult at the moment. I am 21 and have grown as a person in London.

"I want to continue living here and not risk losing leaving all the things which suit me so well. I feel important at Arsenal and have a lot of responsibilities in the team.

"I feel we can do very well next year and will try to produce my best form at the start of the season. We want to win the Champions League."

Fabregas also urged his team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor to stay at Arsenal.

Adebayor, 24, scored 30 goals for the Gunners last season and his exploits have attracted interest from AC Milan and Barcelona.

Fabregas added: "Emmanuel is a very good player. There has been a lot of talk about his future and we will see what happens in the next few weeks.

"It will be his decision and I hope when he makes his choice — it will be the best decision."

Hero :**)

Also there's been a link with Silva and Wenger talking about how much he loves Arshavin.

Cesc :*)

Yeah what I think is going on is that it is pretty much finalised, but Marseille want to get their replacement lined up and a fee agreed before announcing the transfer of Nasri, so that teams don't say, "oh you have 15.8million? Funnily enough that's exactly how much X costs. Isn't that a coincidence?" When a week beforehand he would have been worth half that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arseneknows:

Cesc agrees with me, and well, if you're basing judgement on that one clip with Arshavin and overlooking his performances against Italy and France then you quite frankly have no place to forward an argument. Either come up with a decent argument saying why he wasn't very good in the Euros, or **** off </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

To be fair, if you're basing your opinion on one tournament rather than the 2 years he's spent in the premiership then aren't you guilty of exactly the same thing? It's worth noting Mark Hughes is fairly good at making average defenders play very well.

I think a replacement for Gallas is needed. He was to blame for a lot of goals last season despite scoring vital ones. People are going off his reputation but defensively apart from a few outstanding tackles (Stevie G at Anfield) he just didn't do it for us. During our best spell in October/November he played 1 game I think.

Also I was a huge fan of him as hes obviously proved his quality, and didn't hate on him for the Birmingham incident. I cant blame him for what he did under the circumstances. I was sitting yards away from him 5 minutes before the pen. He eyeballed me with proper intensity looking totally on the edge and I told my mate he was ready to explode any minute! It soon followed..

Wicks wouldn't be hating on our second best centre back last season (You know who the best was icon_cool.gif ), surely.

Given how uncertain everyone is about Ade's future I am strongly considering get Song's name on the back of my shirt icon_cool.gif

Archived