The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

Really had it with the whole transfer period, can't wait until the football actually starts.

I'm not happy with the team as it is to be honest. We need a world class defender and another winger. We need a winger who will run at people without fear. Especially since Wenger wants to play Walcott up front, the only player we will have who can run at people is *gulp* Eboue.

icon_redface.gif

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by arsenalandaa4life:

To be honest, I am fairly confident that he(Nasri) will officially be an Arsenal player by the end of the week so I consider this to be a done and dusted transfer.

No disrespect, but I've heard that line for a whole month now.

Originally posted by Candre168:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arsenalandaa4life:

To be honest, I am fairly confident that he(Nasri) will officially be an Arsenal player by the end of the week so I consider this to be a done and dusted transfer.

No disrespect, but I've heard that line for a whole month now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

Arsenal are demanding over £35m for Emmanuel Adebayor, according to AC Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani.

He says the deal is too rich for Milan's blood, with Italian teams struggling to compete with Chelsea and Barcelona for the world's top players.

The Gunners are reported to have turned down a £25m bid from Barcelona for the Togo striker, with Galliani suggesting that Arsenal are looking for another £10m.

"Adebayor is overridden by continuous requests for €45 million (£35.6 m), these figures are impossible for clubs in Italy," said Galliani. "In fact, the top footballers in the world do not come here anymore.

"When big clubs like Barcelona and Chelsea arrive it is impossible to compete, because they have a much more advantageous fiscal situation."

According to a number of reports, Barcelona's bid was turned down yesterday, although it is distinctly possible that the Spanish giants will make an improved offer given the need of Joan Laporta, the club's president, to make a significant splash in the transfer market before he faces a vote of no-confidence from members at the weekend.

A bid of £30m could actually be sufficient to persuade Arsenal to sell Adebayor, especially as he continues to request a hefty wage rise. According to The Times, 'During all his discussions with the club, Adebayor has told Arsenal, where he has three years left on his contract, that he wants to stay, but that they must keep to a promise of a new deal as a reward for an outstanding season.'

The African is understood to be paid around £35,000 a week. While that is a fortune in most people's eyes, it is a relative pittance in Premier League terms.

Moreover, Adebayor would be entitled to expect his salary to reflect Arsenal's valuation of his services. Were he to be sold for £30m, the transfer would be the sixth largest in the history of football.

Adebayor is not due to return to Arsenal to begin pre-season training until the end of the month, although his agent Stéphane Courbis is expected to meet with Arsene Wenger this week. Speaking to The Times, Courbis indicated that a pay rise would persuade Adebayor to stay in north London, remarking: "It is important for Emmanuel that Arsenal show their motivation to keep him. Whatever they will decide, the decision will be taken with respect

If Barca come in with anything over £30m, I will laugh rather alot. No way he's worth that much based on 1 season.

Originally posted by goon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Candre168:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arsenalandaa4life:

No disrespect, but I've heard that line for a whole month now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair point. But it appears more imminent now that they have signed a replacement in the form of Ben Arfa.

YOUNG GUNNERS SIGN UP

Arsenal have announced six young players have signed their first professional contracts with the club.

Midfielders Henri Lansbury and Jay Thomas, defenders Kyle Bartley and Thomas Cruise, along with strikers Rhys Murphy and Sanchez Watt, have all agreed deals ahead of the new campaign.

All six featured for the reserve team last season, despite still being eligible for the under-18s.

Originally posted by PaulHartman71:

SlowlyDownward, I didn't see the Daily Mail on your list icon_confused.gif

Included as part of "etc" really. My personal favourite is Caught Offside who clearly just make things up every day. "Arsenal sign x for 25 million", or "Arsenal sell x for 50 million".

Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">YOUNG GUNNERS SIGN UP

Arsenal have announced six young players have signed their first professional contracts with the club.

Midfielders Henri Lansbury and Jay Thomas, defenders Kyle Bartley and Thomas Cruise, along with strikers Rhys Murphy and Sanchez Watt, have all agreed deals ahead of the new campaign.

All six featured for the reserve team last season, despite still being eligible for the under-18s.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Entrance to our academy seems to be entirely based on how fantastic your name is.

Originally posted by Slightly Damp Shrew:

I'm confused. The transfer window is open, Samir Nasri hasn't signed, and yet goon's still here. icon_confused.gif

If we sell Bendtner and Ade then I will absolutely support Spurs next season.

Yes, follow your lovechild to the ends of the Earth.

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

Can't help but feel they'll all be at relegation battling PL or Championship teams before long.

Don't see Lansbury or Bartley ending up at ******** clubs, unless something happens to seriously hamper their development. When I've seen them play they've looked head and shoulders above most others. Can't comment on the other four though, never really done much to stand out (not that that is an indication of lack of talent).

Originally posted by josh_b:

Also, the Arsenal shop are advertising the new home shirt as the 2008/10 kit, so does that mean no new home shirt next year?

Its always changed after every two years, only exception being the redcurrent kit.

Originally posted by Rio_V:

Now reports are saying that Bendtner wants to leave. Arsenal isn't a market!!

I cant believe this

Or, not...

If he wants to go, sell Adebayor, but keep Bendtner. That dude is a stud in the making. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bendtner's Dad is his agent, not Nicola Juric. That kills that article immediately.

ARSENE WENGER has been dubbed ‘a cunning fox’ in his hunt for wily Russian Andrei Arshavin.

The Arsenal boss is leading the £15million chase for Euro 2008 star Arshavin, according to the striker’s club Zenit St Petersburg.

Zenit official Dennis Lakhter said: “Arsene Wenger is a cunning fox.

“In the morning he says Arshavin will play all the time at his club and during the day he says he doubts the capabilities of Andrei to play three games in a row at the highest level.

“But this is a tactic to fool the competition.

“He calls Andrei a Tsar and then tries to deny interest in the player.â€

Arshavin has snubbed a £3.9m-a-year Zenit deal.

Lakhter said Arsenal and Barcelona have made approaches with the Gunners “the most activeâ€.

I wish they'd stop linking us with Arshavin. Will only bring dismay when he goes elsewhere icon_frown.gif

Fed up of this to be honest and would like it to be sorted ASAP.

Ideally Ade mans up, tells his agent where to stick it and stays with us. If he is going to go though, get it done fast because the amount of speculation is just annoying.

Ade missed a lot of chances this past season but still ended up with 30 goals, and I think that ultimately he will get better and better and finish off a higher percentage of his chances. That however shouldn't qualify him for a £30m price tag and if it's true that Barca have now offered that, we should bite their arm off.

I think that in the long run it would be better for us if he stayed, but I think he has been messing us about here, even if it is his agent pulling his strings, and we should let him leave, get a better replacement in for less money and be done with.

With regards to the Arshavin rumour rearing its head again, I hope that isn't true. Yes he is a good player, but he went missing against Spain and I'm not convinced he can really cut the big matches. I also think he is too slight and would get roughed up in the Premiership a la Reyes, and is similar to what ROsicky already provides for us. At least when he is fit.

Bit of a ramble that but I've not said anything in here for a while now icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by SlowlyDownward:

Two problems with that for it to be true:

1. He's 27

2. He's 27 AND costing 15 million and upwards

I think Wenger hinted he was too old when he said "I wish I saw him when he was 20 or 21" a couple weeks back.

Do you think 27 is too old? I find it ridculous that 27 could be considered to old. He still has at least 5 seasons at the top level. £15mill and 5 top seasons doesn't seem to silly of a move.

Archived