The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

Cesc on the Euro 2008 all star team and rightfully so. Xavi seems to be the best player overall according to the committee who picked the team.

Cesc so brilliant in so many ways. Not just a fantastic player who took the Euros by the balls, but also told home town club Barca to do one icon_smile.gif

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I have to prepare for my retirement. Even if you are not scoring fine goals and you have money, you can enjoy a happy retirement.

"The time for preparing for that moment is now."

Probably my favourite bit from that article at the top of the page. surely earning at least £20-40k a week for the last 6 years of his life has his retirement set, unless he's blown it all on coke and hookers.

GUNNERS CAN BE ABSOLUTELY FABREGAS

Cesc Fabregas has dedicated Spain's Euro 2008 success to Arsenal fans and told them he wants to repeat his international glory at club level - by winning trophies in style.

The 21-year-old midfielder hailed Spain's victory over Germany on Sunday evening as a triumph for "beautiful football", after going three years without silverware in domestic competition.

There are similarities between Spain and Arsenal in their passing approach but Arsene Wenger's men tailed away after Christmas last season and ended empty-handed despite being looking poised to get something from their campaign.

Fabregas still earned PFA Young Player of the Year for his efforts and in Vienna helped his country end their run of 44 years since winning their last major tournament.

"Of course, that was the happiest day of my life as a professional footballer," said Fabregas.

"It was also for the Arsenal fans that have been suffering a lot this year. For them, at least one player has won something. It is for them."

The midfielder's enthusiasm for the Gunners cause will be welcome news for his manager Arsene Wenger, who is facing a fight to keep star striker Emmanuel Adebayor.

Spain capped a thrilling tournament by defeating Germany with the entertaining football that had seen them win their five previous matches at the finals.

"I haven't seen for a long time a team playing such nice football, playing the ball around and playing beautiful football and get a trophy as big as that," Fabregas said.

"Now at Arsenal we have more or less the same quality of game so hopefully the football will also get better and better for Arsenal."

Fabregas had suffered defeat in a final before, in the Champions League where they lost to Barcelona two years ago, and he added: "Does it make up for Paris? Definitely. I can see there is a massive difference between losing and winning in a final.

"Even if they say being a finalist is important, there is no way you can replace the feeling of winning.

"Now next year I want to win trophies with Arsenal, this is my target. I finally made something at a young age, I never expected it to be with Spain. Now I want to do it with Arsenal.

"It's the second trophy - I have an FA Cup. But of course a European Championship is not the same."

Fernando Torres grabbed the winner at Ernst Happel Stadium and Fabregas believes Spain can now focus on winning the World Cup in South Africa in two years' time.

"We are very young and of course now we will go for the World Cup," the Arsenal midfielder added.

"Yes, Fernando can be one of the best. He is all about the team and not the individual performance. I told him it would be his game and he got that goal."

Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by josh_b:

I think if he does go then we should put the money into something like Silva and Toure and let Bendtner have his chance. Maybe get in someone like Gueiza for cover.

Guiza in as cover for Bendtner? Seriously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hah icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Ratinho:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nick OGS20:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by josh_b:

I think if he does go then we should put the money into something like Silva and Toure and let Bendtner have his chance. Maybe get in someone like Gueiza for cover.

Guiza in as cover for Bendtner? Seriously? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hah icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not what I meant but ok.

When Arsenal’s Norwegian defender HÃ¥vard Nordtveit suggested he could ’save Arsène Wenger some money’ in the transfer window, by stepping up to the first team, most Gooners said “Thanks, but no thanksâ€, as a more experienced face was the preferred option.

Nordtveit was speaking after Wenger admitted he was looking for defensive reinforcements, but the Frenchman has recently back tracked on that statement, meaning HÃ¥vard could get his chance after all.

“I have decided that defenders are no longer necessarily needed for next season.“

The Vats born youngster has certainly made a fantastic impression on his new employers since his arrival last summer, with the Gunners boss praising both his “maturity†and “intelligenceâ€. But it’s not just Wenger who has warmed to him, both Neil Banfield and team mate Gavin Hoyte have previously heaped praise on the prospect.

He has captained both Arsenal’s Reserves and Norway’s Under 17’s & 19’s last term, and whilst he is yet to gain any real experience, he came to London having already featured for the first team at previous side FK Haugesund.

If there are no plans to sign a new central defender, realistically could Nordtveit make the step up?. The answer for me is an emphatic yes. His reading of the play is first class, and at 188cm has all the height and aerial prowess that William Gallas and Kolo Toure lack.

The only downside in his game is that although he is tall, his physique does leave a lot to be desired. However should he get some playing time over pre-season, and spend some time working in the gym, he could prove to be a welcome addition to the first team next year.

Arsène Wenger echo’s these statements, and after personally scouting Håvard, who turns 18 on Saturday, holds high hopes he can develop into a top prospect.

“Physically we need to get him up to the Premiership level, at the moment he is a bit behind. But technically and tactically he is already there. He is an intelligent boy with good vision. He has a good pass out from the back and he is strong too.

“I hope that he can develop well.â€

From Youngguns, but icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by aqnfiqw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal are in talks with German side Werder Bremen for their 21 year old defensive midfielder Amaury Bischoff.

The Gunners contacted Bremen six months ago to ask about the highly rated Frenchman, but have since moved for his services. A fee has been agreed, and Bischoff will travel to London tomorrow to undertake a medical examination before putting pen-to-paper.

Bischoff himself has had his say on the move, and is just waiting for the boss to return from the European Championships before completing the transfer.

“There are some details to finalize, and then we wait for Arsene Wenger to return from Switzerland.â€

“I hope to sign within the next daysâ€

Amaury has recently returned from a long term injury, and admits being frustrated with his injury, and feels now is the correct time to move on.

“Arsenal is a notch above Bremen. I have returned from a long period without playing, I think now is the time to change my surroundingsâ€

Although he was born in France, he chose to represent the country of his mothers birth Portugal. He is an Under 21 international, and joined Werder from Stratsbourg in 2005.

This could be the replacement for Flamini? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sky News website now has him "set for Gunners" as he's knocked back Bremen contract

Link

Good to see we have so many people on the inside of the club in here.

The Ben Arfa transfer seems to be a mess at the moment, Lyon have said the deal is off and have demanded Ben Arfa comes back to training with them.

Ben Arfa has refused and trained for the first time with OM today.

Wenger has said it's 99% done,

Marseille have said it's 99% done

Samir Nasri has said it's 99% done

Samir Nasri's Dad has said it 100% done

So unless something massive happens, I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen. With our luck that something massive will happen though.

apparently Ben Arfa was seen training with OM and was wearing the number 22 on his kit which was Nasris number. Could be b*llocks or players have different training numbers but it does suggest Nasri is actually leaving OM.

some more on adebayor by adriano galliani

"Adebayor is overridden by continuous requests for €45 million (£35.6 million), these figures are impossible for clubs in Italy.â€

“In fact, the top footballers in the world do not come here any more,â€

“When big clubs like Barcelona and Chelsea arrive it is impossible to compete, because they have a much more advantageous fiscal situation.â€

<turns attention to ronaldinho>

"For him, an opportunity has opened up, let's see what Barcelona will ask for him and then we will see. I saw him play the other night, he seemed a bit heavy, but the talent's still there."

Yep Ben Arfa has now officially move

Hatem Ben Arfa is to be transfered to Olympique de Marseille for a reevaluated figure of 12 Millions Euros to which can be added:

- a bonus of one million euros if Olympique de Marseille qualify for the Champions League after the 3rd qualifying round in August.

- a sell on fee of 20% of any profit made on any future transfer.

Olympique Lyonnais would like to point out the big effort made by Hatem Ben Arfa, who reconsidered a part of the fee he was due and renounced it

Cos I take the smart option when people laugh and drop it rather than dig myself deeper and deeper like some thick people on here.

Or it could be because I value you and your opinion as much as I value the stuff I leave in toilet each day?

You can decide if you like, or you could not, I'm not going to lose much sleep over it like you clearly do.

Originally posted by aqnfiqw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal are in talks with German side Werder Bremen for their 21 year old defensive midfielder Amaury Bischoff.

The Gunners contacted Bremen six months ago to ask about the highly rated Frenchman, but have since moved for his services. A fee has been agreed, and Bischoff will travel to London tomorrow to undertake a medical examination before putting pen-to-paper.

Bischoff himself has had his say on the move, and is just waiting for the boss to return from the European Championships before completing the transfer.

“There are some details to finalize, and then we wait for Arsene Wenger to return from Switzerland.â€

“I hope to sign within the next daysâ€

Amaury has recently returned from a long term injury, and admits being frustrated with his injury, and feels now is the correct time to move on.

“Arsenal is a notch above Bremen. I have returned from a long period without playing, I think now is the time to change my surroundingsâ€

Although he was born in France, he chose to represent the country of his mothers birth Portugal. He is an Under 21 international, and joined Werder from Stratsbourg in 2005.

This could be the replacement for Flamini? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An unkown, injury prone nobody? I don't think so.

Originally posted by Flabarama:

I'm pretty much over it tbh.

no, tell us.

because, when you post stuff like this, which is often, and people laugh at it, you always seem to ignore it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your desperation to try and elevate yourself from the lowly position you occupy in the OTF food chain is hilarious. You're infinitely more notorious for posting garbage than josh will ever be and no amount of attempted mockery of others is going to change that, so back in your box eh.

Originally posted by Flabarama:

I'm pretty much over it tbh.

no, tell us.

because, when you post stuff like this, which is often, and people laugh at it, you always seem to ignore it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go figure eh

Arseblogger doesn't mix his words, does he? icon_biggrin.gif

Chairman PHW talks about Stan Kroenke's possible involvement with the club at board level. In a fairly obvious shot at Fat from Fat&Orange, he says:

He is quiet, not ostentatious in any way. He could be a very good ally and colleague. There is some logic in him getting close to us. He is a sensible man who is a sportsperson and has got some expertise in his business and that has helped him to develop a fanbase there.

Reading between the lines here I think what the Chairman is saying is that it's good that Kroenke doesn't smell like a bucket of goat corpses covered in cat ****, that's been left out in the summer sun, due to his intense corpulence and the fact he's a hideous, disgusting, fat **** of a Man United fan. At least that's what I'm taking from it.

So the Ben Arfa deal is apparently ok, and STILL no Nasri. I don't know whether to laugh or wish the bombing of the entire filthy city of Marseille tbh. It may of course all be very different, but that club comes across as a dirty cowboy outfit run by drooling *******, and that's after their blanket purchasing of referees in the 80's and early 90's.

Archived