The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

From the BBC:

Spanish holding midfielder Marcos Senna could move to Arsenal as a replacement for Mathieu Flamini
Emmanuel Adebayor will be allowed to leave Arsenal if the price is right, Arsene Wenger seeing £30m as good value for a player whose form dropped at the end of last season
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes that the balance of power has shifted so far from clubs to players that transfer fees could soon become a thing of the past.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arsenal are in talks with German side Werder Bremen for their 21 year old defensive midfielder Amaury Bischoff.

The Gunners contacted Bremen six months ago to ask about the highly rated Frenchman, but have since moved for his services. A fee has been agreed, and Bischoff will travel to London tomorrow to undertake a medical examination before putting pen-to-paper.

Bischoff himself has had his say on the move, and is just waiting for the boss to return from the European Championships before completing the transfer.

“There are some details to finalize, and then we wait for Arsene Wenger to return from Switzerland.â€

“I hope to sign within the next daysâ€

Amaury has recently returned from a long term injury, and admits being frustrated with his injury, and feels now is the correct time to move on.

“Arsenal is a notch above Bremen. I have returned from a long period without playing, I think now is the time to change my surroundingsâ€

Although he was born in France, he chose to represent the country of his mothers birth Portugal. He is an Under 21 international, and joined Werder from Stratsbourg in 2005.

This could be the replacement for Flamini?

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed that Barcelona have made a very attractive offer for his services.

Adebayor stated on Friday that he would be staying at Arsenal, but later the same day he admitted his future was still far from certain.

Milan had appeared to be the frontrunners in the race to sign Adebayor but the 24-year-old has now declared that he would be interested in joining Barcelona.

Adebayor has warned Arsenal that he will look to leave if his pay demands are not satisfied, even though Arsene Wenger has reiterated his desire to keep the Togo international.

"Milan are a big club but the fact they are not playing in the Champions League next season is less of a challenge," Adebayor told the News of the World.

"Barcelona have made a good financial offer and there is also the chance to play alongside great players.

"Yes, I am still under contract to Arsenal but it's up to the directors to satisfy my demands or I'll leave.

Preparing

"If my good form of last season has increased my value, my employers have to take account of that.

"I have to prepare for my retirement. Even if you are not scoring fine goals and you have money, you can enjoy a happy retirement.

"The time for preparing for that moment is now."

Adebayor believes he should be given parity with former team-mate Thierry Henry after successfully filling the void left by the Frenchman last season.

He explained: "People ask if I am asking for the same salary as Henry. That is not necessarily the question.

"But I am being considered a worthy replacement for Henry while not deserving his salary.

"The question lies on this level."

directly from the horses wallet

well i try to point out to you that what loyalty should they have to Arsenal to make them stay, especially when you havent won much recently?

that'll get put down as a wind up but its true, why should flamini stay? what can you offer that AC Milan can't, except less money?

oh cool, i forgot you only need 4 decent midfielders, should just get robbie savage in as a squad player.

Flamini will play, its a pointless arguement as we won't know till next season but considering they play 4-5-1 and have an aging midfield i'm sure he will be in the starting X1 come next april.

Originally posted by DiscoStu94:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If they couldn't reach the CL last season why should they have more chance of getting into it the next?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok i'll give you 14/1 they won't make it to the Champions league next year

Originally posted by josh_b:

I have problems with players leaving if they're being offered 120k to our 50/60, its the Coles and to a lesser extent Flamini who leave because of 5k (and Flamini the reported 10-15k) that really **** me off.

no problem with "it's up to the directors to satisfy my demands or I'll leave", or insinuating one should be earning what Henry earned?

I want Ade to stay, but it almost feels like people are afraid to criticise him in here at times.

He's not better than Gattuso, Pirlo or Kaka.

Or Seedorf.

Don't Milan play with five midfielders? And Seedorf is gone.

And he doesn't even play the same position as Kaka or Seedorf.

And Pirlo was pretty **** last year.

Milan didn't give him a huge deal because they wanted a solid backup.

Erm...okay, didn't press post but okay.

The fear i have is that, whatever amount of money we bring in for players like Ade and Hleb, we won't look to bring in top quality to replace them. When you make the kind of profit Ade will show us if he goes, i think it's the kind of deal that should allow us to go looking for a £20m plus top notch replacement if there's one out there. Or even just spending all that profit on the team in general.

How many 20 year old strikers are good enough? Wenger has faith in him, he has a good record internationally, is big, strong, good with the ball. Deserves a chance otherwise I can't see why we didn't sell him when Bayern were sniffing around a couple of months ago.

Him and Walcott would be my dream partnership.

100 goals a season at least tbh.

Think if Ade left a RvP/Eduardo partnership with Vela, Bendtner, Walcott and Barazite coming in would be fine. More pressing issues like wide players and a Holding midfielder.

"Yes, I am still under contract to Arsenal but it's up to the directors to satisfy my demands or I'll leave.

Then gtfo. Dont care about money my arse.

oops sorry I forgot, his agent was clearly using his mind control techniques to FORCE ade into saying these things.

Bought that NOTW for my journey home yesterday. One of their writers (!) Basiaclly said we should cash in on the loudmouth sod.

One good season doesn't warrant earning £120k, with 6 of those goals against Derby, which he claimed were like scoring runs in Cricket off Scotland when your Australia or something.

Besides, whatever hacks write, I'm really starting to get annoyed by Ade now.

I'm afraid it's the "one good season should see me minted" syndrome, and well, he knows Arsenal don't have the money to pay him unless he was a legend like Henry? Or does he even think he's a legend already? I know certain users here with obsessions for male genitalia will tell you otherwise, but I don't think he's good enough to pish in Henry's bog.

Basically, sell Ade and Hleb, buy Villa and Nasri. Then we'll win the title because we'd be swapping two wasters for two players with end product.

Haha, yeah, cos Villa won't want a huge wage either icon_biggrin.gif

No real problem with what Ade has said. Football can be a short career, you have to look after your best interests and money makes the world go round. Any other job in the world and none of you would judge him looking at job offers from other employers at double, treble or even quadruple his wage atm. Sooner we step up and start paying players the going rate, the better. Player loyalty is, in the main, a thing of the past. Cash is king and unless we want to be scrapping things out with Spurs Everton and Portsmouth we need the board to bite the bullet and cough up the funds required, both for new acquisitions and retention of current ones. If that means jumping into bed with Kroenke or Usmanov then I'm sorry lads but it's time to break out the lingerie.

Now, I'm clueless about wages, so open to being shot down in flames here...

Adebayor is on, what? £30k pw basic iirc? Compare that to the main strikers at the rest of the top four. Rooney, Tevez, Drogba, Anelka (or whoever Chelsea get to lead their line next year) and Torres. I'll bet all of them top Ade's wage packet easily. In fact, I'm guessing they all earn at least double. Dropping further down I'd guess that Berbatov, Yakubu and even Defoe might be on better or at least the same? Do we really want to be paying comparable amounts to Portsmouth ffs? How are we supposed to compete at the top level?

I know we have a high overall wage bill (second highest in the EPL iirc?) but the distribution is obviously all wrong, or it's simply spread too thin due to a high number of staff (which I struggle to believe).

Don't see how he has been telling porkies, I'd say he's too damn honest for his own good. He seems to want to stay, but he wants the going rate for a top striker (whether he is or not, he believes he is, based on his form last season). He's using the interest from other clubs to try and earn himself a new deal as he's not stupid and knows the board won't greenlight another deal when he's only a year into his current one.

Originally posted by steveohill:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Oh and Ade has been linked with Chelsea.

Got my Hull City shirt too \o/

icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By got I do mean it arrives at the weekend, when it's released, before some nal OTFer tells me otherwise. icon_biggrin.gif

At the end of the day it's the club that decides the wages, and well, is one good season enough to justify 100k a week, or even 80k a week?

If it was Cesc asking for 100k i'd be petitioning Arsenal to pay him anything he wanted, because he has shown loyalty and has proved season after season that he is a top notch player.

Players who come from nowhere (yes, a bit part role with potential at crappy Monaco is nowhere) to Arsenal should show a bit more than one season of good play to be asking for top drawer wages. Maybe even some loyalty instead of talking to Milan and Barcelona to coax Arsenal into paying up would go further as well.

At the moment, and this could soon change if Usmanov and Dein get what they want, Arsenal is paying a generally high wage bill (again, not sure if staff are getting a lot, or the squad players are getting a lot as well), but no one player after Henry is standing head above shoulders with their own tailor made wage packet. This is fair, and more realistic. If every player who has one decent season starts asking for the same as the top stars, then Arsenal are going to be in trouble.

If a player wants to leave because they can't buy that new Bentley as well as the eight Ferraris already in the basement showroom, then screw them. Show some loyalty and a couple more good seasons then come back and ask for more. That's the way working life should work. I'm sure Ade is making a fair bit more than he did at Monaco anyway, and he has Arsenal to thank for his progress.

If every player who plays one good season starts asking for 80k or 100k then we will have a world of £10k PL season tickets because Steven Sidwell wants the same money as Kaká.

On the subject of money, I was having a chat with another Arsenal fan over the weekend, about foreign investment.

Basically like I said when this all come about with Kroneke or Jabba, we should take their money with open wallets. He got so irate, saying stuff like 'we are Arsenal, we stuff properly'.

I was yeah we do mate, properly like in the 1930s when it mattered. Nowadays it's all about the money and quite frankly we need shitloads more of it to compete, especially over the next few years.

Some supporters need to get real, I'm firmly behind David Dein on this one. Arsenal will fall behind, no question, unless we take on some serious investment.

We're very fortunate that we have someone like Wenger, who has been able to suceed despite being relatively frugal. When the likes of Van Basten/Bergkamp take over in a few years (or anyone for that matter), I can't seem them being able to pull rabbits out of hats in the same manner Wengs has.

I mean we've never spent more than £14m on a player, never. It's quite hard to believe given the market we're in today with wages/fees.

Well, we'll never know if Wenger has had much more to spend anyway, if most of the club's funds have been tucked away in the wage bill, project planning and overheads for the move to a new stadium.

It would be interesting to see the same financial breakdowns that we have been seeing the last few years back in 1998 or 2000.

There is no doubting Wenger's genius, and Arsenal certainly have been shrewd in the market, but I somehow feel "opening the floodgates" to Usmanov isn't the Arsenal way, and isn't the way Hill-Wood & co want to see Arsenal go. Kroenke is a different kettle of fish, because they would offer him a place on the board and retain control while benefitting from his financial input. He would probably want a huge yearly dividend, but that shouldn't be too bad in the scheme of things. Usmanov and Dein want to assume control of Arsenal, load it with big wads of money and make us into a faceless, spiritless Chelski. I would hate that so much.

I can't see how anyone likes Dein anymore btw. Sure, he was a great asset back in the Graham years and went for Wenger, but the way he has turned on the club and united himself with a faceless oil tycoon to try and joust the club from Hill-Wood's grasp is repulsive and damn right scandalous. If it wasn't for the supporter's trust and some loyal private shareholders, we would have a Russian flag flying over The Emirates as we speak.

So what Cesc, we offer every one of our players 90k a week everytime a clubs makes them an attractive offer?

And forget we are arsenal ********, I just dont want anyone having comeplete control over the club who'll be able to get rid of any player or manager he wants, will be able to sign any player or manager he wants.

Originally posted by goon:

So what Cesc, we offer every one of our players 90k a week everytime a clubs makes them an attractive offer?

And forget we are arsenal ********, I just dont want anyone having comeplete control over the club who'll be able to get rid of any player or manager he wants, will be able to sign any player or manager he wants.

Plus he would probably pile all his debt on to us.

Originally posted by goon:

No but we offer what can (sadly) be considered as the going rate.

Otherwise we'll get in the position bar the odd loyal chap, where we sell our good players when they know they can earn much more elsewhere. Fine, we'll get reimbursed somewhat for their ability to learn and become better but then we'll sign more youth and the same thing will happen again and again.

Also I'm not on about someone taking over the club, more like the Kroenke way of getting on board. Even if he a runt, Usmanov will eventually need to be listened to, hell they'd listen to him know if Dein had nothing to do with it. They won't go 4 years (lockdown time frame) without speaking to him, that or he'll sell up to Kroenke.

Originally posted by The Pain:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

Plus he would probably pile all his debt on to us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our 2 rich investors don't need to do that, their pockets are deep enough to not need to finance this externally. It's more Roman than Glazer as it stands.

Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by goon:

No but we offer what can (sadly) be considered as the going rate.

Otherwise we'll get in the position bar the odd loyal chap, where we sell our good players when they know they can earn much more elsewhere. Fine, we'll get reimbursed somewhat for their ability to learn and become better but then we'll sign more youth and the same thing will happen again and again.

Also I'm not on about someone taking over the club, more like the Kroenke way of getting on board. Even if he a runt, Usmanov will eventually need to be listened to, hell they'd listen to him know if Dein had nothing to do with it. They won't go 4 years (lockdown time frame) without speaking to him, that or he'll sell up to Kroenke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as neither of them have full control i'd be happy.

Originally posted by josh_b:

I think if he does go then we should put the money into something like Silva and Toure and let Bendtner have his chance. Maybe get in someone like Gueiza for cover.

Guiza in as cover for Bendtner? Seriously?

Archived