[FM10] Real Betis revisited....

CAFCIan75

I first played as Real Betis back in the 2005-06 season when they had stars such as Joaquin and Denilson in their side and I guided them to La Liga glory in my second season and have had a soft spot for them ever since. Due to their relegation last season it has given me the idea about making a serious long term save with them and see if I can guide them to the heights I achieved back then.

Playing the 10.2 patch with all leagues loaded and playable from Argentina, Brazil, England, Germany, Holland, Italy, France, Portugal and Spain.

REAL BETIS

34inwh1.jpg

Founded: 1907

Stadium: Manuel Ruiz de Lopera

Capacity: 52,500

La Liga winners: 1935

Liga Adelante winners: 1932, 1942, 1971 & 1974 (4 titles)

Spanish Cup winners: 1977 & 2005 (2 titles)

Most League Appearances: Juan Merino (325 appearances)

Most League Goals: Poli Rincón (78 goals)

Transfers...

5xo5mr.jpg

All in all we made a profit of £1,750,000 on transfers in the summer. I sold all the wingers at the club as I plan to play a tight, narrow formation this season. My biggest coup of the summer has to be the loan signing of Yannis Tafer on loan from Olympique Lyonnais. The fans were upset that I spent £3,000,000 on Jaime Ruíz but I think he will score enough goals at this level when called upon to justify the price tag and in Aron Gunnarsson I think we have signed potentially a star for the future.

From a coaching and scouting point of view I offered all my coaches and scouts mutual termination and bought in 9 coaches and 5 scouts of my own. I also bought in former Juventus and French International defender Lilian Thuram as my Assistant Manager.

Next Post: Pre-season & August/September & October

Pre-season Round up...

I started off pre-season with five games against poor sides to get the fitness levels up and to allow our new signings to settle into the squad. Those five games yielded 41 goals and no goals against and I was delighted with our football at times. Our last two matches were more difficult, firstly we played fellow Liga Adelante side Cadiz and raced into a 3-0 half time lead only to let them back into the match and narrowly win 3-2. Probably our best performance of pre-season came against Espanyol at home when we ran out 1-0 winners and thoroughly deserved to win the match and should have scored more. Ironically the player the fans thought was a waste of money Jaime Ruíz plundered 12 goals in 5 starts during pre-season including three hat-tricks!

August/September...

The season got off to the best possible start with us two goals up inside the first six minutes on the opening day against Castellon. We went on to win the match comfortably by three goals to one. Our participation in the Spanish Cup was short lived though as in our first away match of the season we lost 0-1 to Las Palmas and left us to as they say “concentrate on the league!”

Following our cup exit we won three consecutive league matches scoring ten goals in the process including a stunning 4-1 away victory over Salamanca who were 4th at the time.

2h35ye8.jpg

We ended the month with a 0-0 draw and a fantastic 2-1 victory away to Numancia to end September in 2nd spot on goal difference behind Hercules. Jaime Ruíz continued his fine start to life in a Real Betis shirt with the Columbian striker scoring five goals in his opening six Liga Adelante matches. Out of interest I looked to see the fan opinion on his signing and they now see Ruíz as having the potential to “represent a good piece of business”.

October...

Only four matches this month and we started with a 1-0 thrashing of Elche at the Manuel Ruiz de Lopera with 22 shots on target reflecting our domination of the match. I must say the thing that annoys me most at this level has to be when players are called up for international duty you don’t get a postponement. I lost 5 of my players to call-ups for the Real Union match and coupled with injuries I was forced to put four (yes four) defenders on the bench. For the record we won 5-0!

We failed to capitalise on our fine victory over Real Union by only gaining a disappointing 0-0 draw away to Cadiz. It was probably one of our worse performances so far but defensively we were outstanding. We finished the month with a disappointing 1-1 draw with Girona. I got the tactics all wrong in the second half and Girona striker Calle punished our wayward finishing nine minutes from time. We ended October nicely placed in 2nd and unbeaten but I’m disappointed with our last two performances of this month.

2ntbdw1.jpg

My Player of the Month for September/October...

Jaime Ruiz: Jaime was a new signing for me back in August and the fans were not impressed with the amount of money spent on him. He then went on to score 12 goals in pre-season and 6 goals in his opening ten matches of the season.

Next Post: November & December and my "half season analysis"

REAL BETIS

November...

We started the month with a cracking 5-0 victory over Albacete with Yannis Tafer scoring a fantastic hat-trick. Our mood was short lived however as Juande broke his leg in training on the Monday and will be out of action for 5-6 months.

Unfortunately we could not capitalise on our great victory and we could only manage a 2-2 draw away to Murcia. Ordinarily I would say it’s a good point but we were 2-0 up and cruising at half time but the defence fell asleep in the second. Normal service was resumed against the whipping boys of the division Villarreal “B” when we again hit five with Achille Emana bagging a hat-trick.

We ended the month with a comfortable 1-0 victory over Huesca but just three days before that we suffered a shock 1-2 home defeat to Celta Vigo albeit courtesy of two fortunate goals. The winner was a massively deflected free kick. We found ourselves two points clear at the end of the month and a healthy eight points clear of fourth.

December...

I’ll start with the shock transfer news as in mid November Olympique Lyonnais offered £3,500,000 for Sergio García which I refused. The fee was only £200,000 over his market value so I told Lyon that I wanted the £10,500,000 release clause for one of my star players which obviously they refused. This made Sergio García unhappy and he demanded to leave. I’m not the sort of manager who keeps unhappy players so I offered him out to all clubs for £7,500,000 and finally we had a taker...

Sergio Garcia transfer...

hsm2s3.jpg

Not one to hang around I replaced him with...

New striker...

wi3lmp.jpg

Both deals will go through early January 2010

Right on to the December round up and it’s been a terrible month on the pitch. We started well enough with a 1-0 victory over Real Sociedad but following that we suffered two successive 0-1 defeats including the big one at home to Hercules. So at the mid season break we were placed third.

League Table 21st December 2009...

9h55qo.jpg

Mid-season analysis...

If you had given me third place at Christmas and five points clear of fourth at the beginning of the season I would have snapped your hand off. We started the season well and we did not suffer defeat until our 14th match of the campaign but we have since suffered three defeats in five. I think the disruptive influence of Sergio García has contributed to the recent poor form and hopefully form will pick up when he leaves the club in January. Recently we have been struggling for goals and strangely enough it coincides with the injury to Jaime Ruiz. He should be fit after Christmas so hopefully we will get back on the goal trail again. We are still on course for promotion which is what the board wants so I should not be too disappointed.

Next Post: Mid-season transfers, January and February.

January Transfer Window...

It was three players in and three players out at Betis in January with Sergio García (Shakhtar Donetsk £7.5million), Branko Ilic (Birmingham City £1.9million) and Álex Ortiz (Cadiz on loan) all departing the club and three new signings coming in. Let me introduce you to...

Taison

Clement Grenier

Carlinhos

I feel I now have the right squad to seriously challenge for promotion and with the disruptive players leaving the club I now think the squad can knuckle down and play the sort of football they are capable of. If we play the sort of football we played at the beginning of the season I am confident we will be playing La Liga football next season.

January...

Only four games this month and we started the year with a crushing 4-0 victory over Córdoba with Clément Grenier scoring on his debut and out of favour Dani coming on as a substitute and smashing a stunning hat-trick. We followed that win up with another as Grenier continued his impressive start to his Betis career with a double on his home debut against Rayo. We then travelled to Recreativo and suffered our third 0-1 defeat in five matches before ending the month with a 2-0 victory against Castellón. We finished the month in 3rd just three points from the summit and a nice healthy seven points clear of 4th.

February...

Started the month with a 1-1 draw against Gimnàstic but what was to follow in our next match I think is best described in a screenshot...

Cartagena Result

As you can see my half time b*ll*cking worked wonders as we rattled in five unanswered second half strikes.

We followed up the Cartagena victory with a comfortable 4-0 victory over Numancia and finished the month with a disappointing 0-0 draw against Salamanca, although we did play the last hour with ten men following Grenier’s red card. Unfortunately for us he will definitely miss the Las Palmas game and maybe more should his ban get extended. So we ended February in 3rd place five points behind Hercules and eight points clear of 4th.

Liga Adelante Table February 2010

Spare a thought for poor Villarreal “B” getting stuffed each and every week. They will definitely concede over 100 goals and will probably be relegated by my next update.

Next Post: March & April

I hope one of my readers can help me, as you can see above I have done links to my pictures rather than posting them direct. I was wondering if one of you fine people can tell me how to change the name of the link to reflect what its about.

eg: "http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz74/CAFCIan75/Real%20Betis%20Stuff/taison.jpg" is the link for Taison and I would like the link to read "Taison" rather than all the crap above.

Cheers in advance

I too have a soft spot for Betis having played as them last year so i thought it would be good fun to play them again. Currently mid way through my third season, 4th in La Liga and in the Euro Cup. Look forward to reading how you get on.

P.S How come you sold Caffa? He's been immense for me, was the fans player of the year last year.

I too have a soft spot for Betis having played as them last year so i thought it would be good fun to play them again. Currently mid way through my third season, 4th in La Liga and in the Euro Cup. Look forward to reading how you get on.

P.S How come you sold Caffa? He's been immense for me, was the fans player of the year last year.

Hey Morti, I don't play with wingers as Betis so no need for him though the money came in handy for transfers etc. Glad to see you are doing well with Betis, hopefully I can emulate your achievements.

Archived