Jim Bristow/Serpico has died

bell

As you may have seen a few moments ago, his friend Steve posted the following:

Its my sad news to tell you today at mid day Jim/Serpico passed away.

He was 44 years old and left behind his mother and father, he was not married nor had any children.

I spoke to him at 10-30 this morning and at 1-30 he was found dead in front of his computer.

Jim was my best friend and I shall miss him sorely.

Steve.

Very sad news and came as a massive shock to all the moderators. Steve let us know about 1 hour ago and we have been discussing it since then.

Please leave your condolences, memories and comments here. Anything insensitive or stupid will be removed and the offenders permanently banned.

Jim had been moderator here for the last 10 years and really enjoyed doing it. He was probably the most dedicated of all the mods and took his job here very seriously. He will be sadly missed by moderators and users alike. Everybody had time for him. He was a great bloke, with a dry sense of humour and keen sense of fairness. I often used him as a sounding board when this place annoyed me and he was always happy to listen or join in with the moaning.

RIP Jim Bristow. You will be missed by this community.

EDIT: Jim had some health issues and it is likely these led to his death. I'm sure Steve will update when he gets more information.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked Jim. Enjoyed chatting with him while playing against each other when testing FM Live. He always used to look out for me too when it came to infractions, often stepping in to make sure I got a warning for stuff that could be given as an infraction by other mods.

He was one of the good guys and I always considered him one of my "board friends". My condolences to Steve and the rest of his real life friends and family. He will be sorely missed by a lot of people.

So sad. Horrible news. It's such a shock - we may only know him online, but it says a lot about the man that he was able to communicate such a great character and personality only by the medium of typing away on a keyboard.

He's always been a fantastic presence around here and naturally is synonymous with the board. I don't know what else I can say - rest in peace, Serps. :(

Condolences to his family and friends of course. Thanks to bdcuk for making us aware, can't have been easy.

Wow, this is a massive shock. Can't quite believe it.

Didn't cross paths with him too often but was always a good guy when we did. Also a top poster and a friendly bloke when I saw his posts.

Will be missed sorely by a lot of people.

RIP Jim/Serps :(

There is no official cause of death as yet and if I said anything it would just be speculation.

When I here anything I will let the board know.

This poem was a favorite of Jims and sums up some of my feelings towards Jim, the sentiment rather than the gay love.

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~cooneys/poems/auden.stop.html

So sad. Horrible news. It's such a shock - we may only know him online, but it says a lot about the man that he was able to communicate such a great character and personality only by the medium of typing away on a keyboard.

really have no clue what to say, but that pretty much expresses the kind of thing I'm thinking at the moment. the distinction between the friends you have in your everyday life and the people you interact with online seems to become very blurry when you hear news like this

rip

I always remember him in threads about driving, always towing the driving standards line of how to drive in every situation. Deep down he knew the difference between driving test and real life driving, but it always made me smile and roll my eyes. RIP.

Oh my god, sad news. RIP.

Has a cause of death been established as its very sudden.

Will probably be too early to tell and I imagine a postmortem will need to be done. Something like a heart attack perhaps if it's been that quick. Just realized that he was only 8 years older than me - makes it hit home harder. :(

Archived