The Life and Times of St Pete's Boys... (they'll need a miracle...)

attjen

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Manager's Goat: Tonerovski and Molotov split the game partnering Kharp, and neither contributed much </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um it was the drizzle boss, had the wrong studs on you see.

*eh yeah that'll do*

icon_biggrin.gif

Record of Maximov Jenski Press Conference

As St Pete's Boys head into their sixth game of the season, having already won a suprising 4 out of 5 games, the normally press-shy Jenski granted a short meeting with the local reporters.

Reporter 1: Jenski, mind giving us your thoughts on losing your only coach to Zenith Petersburg?

Jenski: <sits in silence>. No, I wouldn't frankly. Why don't you ask that trait.... er, I mean terrific guy, why he switched clubs, <mutters> to our rivals </mutters>... and took position change from coach to scout?

Reporter 2: Jenski, how do you respond to those saying that your club is a one-trick pony? That your early season success is just because you've happened to find a young attacking midfielder who is carrying the club?

Jenski: Well, I don't think that's fair really. I mean, Nicholas has been fantastic obviously. He's a good kid really, I mean sometimes he worries me when he does his whole "I will break you" routine... but I digress, I think we have quality throughout the squad and each player will have his chance to shine.

Reporter 3: Can you enlighten us on your rotation policies?

Jenski: <looks angry> No. You intellectual elitists wouldn't understand anyway.

Reporter 3: Um. what? We just want to know why certain players are rested certain days?

Jenski: <silent>

Reporter 4: We have word that you've giving a warning to every player that any one receiveing a red cards will be in serious trouble. Care to elaborate on that?

Jenski: I don't know where you got that. It's fiction. Why would I make a statement like that? A red card is already trouble. Why would I say anything more? What would I do: fine them their wages? Make them pay off some of the club debt? Try to cut corners and make them take showers at home instead of in the locker room? I mean... really... <laughs nervously>

Reporter 2: Can you answer the rumors that you've been fielding a foreigner under a false passport? Namely (censored), the striker?

Jenski: Look, I don't want to get into politics here. Does the government say he's Russian? Do they? There you go. you have your answer.

Reporter 3: Can you address the goldfish problem?

Jenski: <rolls eyes, then looks serious> We are looking at every available method to make sure that Berberov has his entire attention focused on the game.

Reporter 1: Any comment on the reports of a practice field tussle between some of your players?

Jenski: Boys will be boys you know, hormones, aggression, brass knuckles, wooden bats... who is really surprised when something like that happens?

Reporter 2: Any comment on the fact that some players refuse to take showers with a certain other player?

Jenski: What?... Oh... that was just after some of the boys watched a Hitchcock movie. Practical joke, I expect. Heh.

Reporter 5: Which club is scouting that fantastic wide playing prospect, the man with bravery like Lancelot, silky smooth moves like a dancer, and finishing like a young Pele - Powersov?

Jenski: <silent> Sergei? Is that you? Take that stupid mustache off your face, I can tell it's you... you'll be doing extra sprints tomorrow... that's it, this is over... <mutters> stupid capitalist press....

If you look at the match reports it says.

Unfortunately - not very full! icon_frown.gif

Are we going towards bankrupcy? How about Molotov, he was plenty rich wasn`t he?

*Anerdov stumbles into Jenski`s office*

"Hi Gaffer, I just wanted to know if you have set any season goals for the team. We`ve got a fine start and could maybe go for a middle of nowhere (or less) finish? The reason for asking is that I`ve been asked to inquire you by the lads, they don`t want to play for an ambitious club or coach. They just want to have fun out on the pitch. The team spirit will dissolve otherwise. What do you think?"

Jenski Calls Team Meeting Today At St Pete's

According to our inside source, today at the morning practice session of Dinamo Peterbug, Manager Jenski had a closed doors team meeting with player to talk about expectations of the season.

With the club off to a fast start, some at the team seemed to want to make sure of Jenski's commitment to a fun atmosphere and good locker room environment at the club. According to our source, Jenski confirmed his intention to play 'exciting attacking football' and that 'every player can be feel confident that they'll have a chance to score a goal'.

He also apparently laid out the reasons why he felt a promotion spot was not out of the question. St Pete's Boys would need to finish top 2 to play in the Premier division next season. The manager also listed the advantages of playing in the top flight: the primary getting a bigger crowd into the now mostly empty (about 1/10th occupied) Kirov stadium, and therefor help the club's dire financial situation.

However, our source assures us that a promotion spot would be quite a feat for the club at this stage, and that the manager thinks a mid-table finish would be acceptable.

If we can, we will bring you comments about where the team's players would hope for the club to finish this season.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Am i the guy with the dodgy passport

il get my mafia friends to give us some money if you want. You might have to repay a favour to them though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be me... the Moroccan "Black Russian" icon_wink.gif

Berberov Pleased With Goldfish Security

St. Pete’s Boys keeper Bobski Berberov deemed himself delighted with the arrangements that manager Maximov Jenski has put in place to secure the safety of goldfish Rasputin.

“Mr. Jenski has obviously taken my concerns seriouslyâ€, he said earlier today, “and I am much happier with the situation now. He has assured me that although the club does not have enough money to employ stewards he will make sure that the substitutes do their warm-ups alongside Rasputin’s tank. Apparently their mere presence will be enough to discourage any interference from the opposition fans. He also showed the wisdom of a great manager by telling me that Rasputin could also do more to protect himself and not leave it to everyone else.â€

When pressed further on this point Bobski stated “Well when I thought about it I could see that he was quite correct and I have taken steps to stop Rasputin being a soft target. I have replaced his fairy castle with a military version with battlements and a portcullis. I have also attached a fake shark fin to my small friend’s back and have posted a sign on the side of his tank that says Danger – Beware of the Shark. Finally I have had the word Fukovski tattooed on his side as further discouragement and I am sure that no one will mess with him any more.â€

When manger Jenski was asked to comment on the situation he issued a short statement. “I hope that the steps taken will ensure that Bobski can keep his mind on the game from now on. And when I said that he could do more to protect himself I was thinking of just putting a cover over the tank to stop the dangling of fishing rods. But at least the lad has used his imagination when thinking of other deterrents.â€

The latest gossip from the newspapers:

...There is talk of plans for all team members to chip in on another goldfish for Berberov, so that his fish won`t feel all alone and isolated when at the matches. This is allegedly to be done more because of Berberov himself than the well-being of the goldfish. The team has a slight concern as to how Berberov will confront the idea of getting another fish, though, as he is clearly immensely attached to the original one...

...After the manager made his thoughts on season goals clear, the team arranged a spontaneus (?) party at a 'beach' in St. Petersburg...

...After arriving somewhat late at the alcohol-drenched party, Anerdov (having spent two hours crying and begging to be allowed to go out by his mum) thought he heard someone making out and petting (!!!) from inside a bush near the fireplace, though because of the dark he could not see who was there. He mentioned to our journalist that he thought he heard one of them speak with an Arabian accent...

---

Russian 1st Division Week 6

St Pete's Boys vs Rubin

Attendance: 6891

Weather: Shower, 11 degrees

Starting Line-up: 4-4-2 Diamond, Berberov, Jenkov, Molotov, Tonerovski ©, Iliev, Raskolnikov, Powersov, Korjev, Anerdov, Georgikov, Abuzaglo

1st Half:

Rubin came out with a 4-1-3-2, and from the opening moments the three hard pressing central midfielders looked to discombobulate the youngsters in front of their home fans. Anas Makhluf missed wide in the opening minutes, and Jenkov picked up a yellow in the 3rd. Berberov had to react quickly in the 13th to punch a way an Amirov shot.

Anerdov's header from a good play by Powersov was the Boys first chance, and went just wide in the 18th minute. Three minutes later the two connected again, but Anerdov really should have scored with a header that went narrowly over.

Anerdov turned provider then, and his pass to Georgikov almost resulted in a goal, but Rubin's Alexeev turned the ball away brilliantly.

From the ensuing corner a long ball clearance to Philippov forced Tonerovski to make a play. Unfortunately, he got more player than ball. On the freekick that followed, Amirov slammed the ball against the wall, but it fell perfectly for Baireshev who guided home the opening goal. 0-1

St Pete's looked to be struggling now, and Powersov got a yellow for upending Anas Makhluf, just seconds before Berberov had to turn away a Philippov freekick for a corner. In the 41st minute an unmarked Amirov strode into the area and blasted home a Bairashev throughball. 0-2

Korjev attempted to get his club back in the game, but after a good run, his shot was saved. The boys seemed to catch a break when Abuzaglo went over from an Amirov shove and the Rubin player was given a direct red, but just before the whistle a poor Georgikov tackle gifted the visitors a freekick. Philippov swung in a dangerous ball and Cheburaev got well above Powersov to knock it home. Berberov was frozen on the play, and seemed to still be waiting for the initial freekick to come in. 0-3

2nd Half:

Toothrotski game in for Berberov, and was called on to make a good save in the 48th minute on a Rubin half-volley. After good team play, an unexpected shot came from Iliev, but it went well over the bar.

St Pete's won a corner in the 63rd, and Powersov dropped the ball onto the head of Molotov, who powered home a header for his first of the season and a potential lifeline back into the game. 1-3 Molotov

Jenski made his last two substitutions in an attempt to spark a comeback against his 10-man opponents, Kharp and Chrzipplerinski coming on for Tonerovski and Iliev respectively.

The subs made some impact, and Georgikov had a real penalty appeal turned down in the 72nd minute after Philippov had hacked him down in the box. Kharp picked out a dangerous run of Abuzaglo in the 76th, and in the ensuing scramble Chrzipplerinski's low cross found it's way to Georgikov, and this time the striker buried it for a second goal. 2-3 Georgikov

Anerdov's 80th minute header on a great Korjev cross was his club's last attempt at goal on the day, and a third goal never materialized.

Final: 2-3

MOM: Powersov

Manager's Picks: Raskolnikov, Powersov, and Korjev were all dangerous in attack on the day. Toothrotski had an excellent 2nd half.

Manager's Goats: Berberov, for letting in three before half, but he was let down by half of his back line as Tonerovski and Iliev both had poor invisible games.

Overall assessment: The 4-1-3-2 formation put way to much pressure on our backline, despite the good performance we got from our wide midfielders. Rubin will be a serious challenger in the league this year.

Russian 1st Division Week 7

Lokomotiv Chita vs St Pete's Boys

Attendance: 11455

Weather: Dry, 17 Degrees

Starting Line-up: 4-4-2 Diamond, Berberov, Jenkov, Misja, Tonerovski ©, Pantsov, Golo, Raskolnikov, Korjev, Bull, Pravaya, Anerdov

1st Half:

Lokomotiv came out in a 3-5-2, the first time that St Pete's have faced a sweeper formation.

Korjev had the first chance of the game with a nice turn and shot from wide that Morev had to turn away smartly. The Chita keeper had to do well again in following corner, saving from Anerdov and Pravaya in a scramble in the goalbox. In the 5th and 6th, Misja was denied twice by the keeper who had already made more spectacular saves than could be asked for.

It wasn't until the 28th minute that the Boys could get back on goal, as Anerdov missed wide followed by Pravaya doing the same on almost identical Raskolnikov crosses.

Chita had a chance shortly after as Pantsov was beaten for a header, but Berberov did well to save. Tonerovski picked up an injury and had to be taken off for Molotov.

No goals seemed to be coming for the youngsters, but Korjev suddenly got an interception and broke towards the end-line. He swung in a cross that Bull knocked down for Anerdov. With room to take his time he picked a spot low and in the corner and drove home the opener just before the whistle. 0-1 Anerdov

2nd Half:

Golo started an attack from the kick-off that was broken up by a Chita foul on Pravaya. Jenkov quickly swung in a freekick that found Anerdov, and just like that the Boys had a 2-goal lead. 0-2 Anerdov

Anerdov missed with a volley, Golo picked up a yellow, and Pravay went on a good run but missed wide to take the action through the 56th minute.

Lokomotiv had two chances then, one called back for offsides (though Berberov had been in position), and one that the Dinamo keeper had to turn away for a corner. Both Golo and Bull had been soundly beaten by Kreisman, for this latter attempt.

Pantsov came off for Chrzipplerinski in the 62nd. Raskolnikov shoved down the new subsitute from Chita, and gave away a penalty. Berberov saved the initial strike, but Garmashov reacted faster than anyone and poked home the loose ball. 1-2

Bull had two chances in the 66th and 67th but both were saved, and one was called back for an Anerdov' offside. Pravaya hit the post in the 68th. The game seemed to want another goal, and when Korjev broke loose on the wing again, his cross fell perfectly for Bull, and the player hit a low right-footer that found the net perfectly. 1-3 Bull

Just a few minutes later, the player intercepted a bad clearance and shot again, volleying home his second of the game! 1-4 Bull

Georgikov was brought on for Pravaya, who hadn't looked his normal self playing in the front line. Chita wanted to slow the pace of the game and escape without letting in any more goals, but Bull and Anerdov had other ideas. Bull lobbed to Anerdov and the player headed home his third of the day! 1-5 Anerdov

The game died out after that.

Final: 1-5

MOM: Bull (2 assists, 2 goals)

Manager's Picks: Anerdov for his hattrick, Korjev for a great day on the wing, Golo for making 8 tackles, Jenkov for having one of the better days from a full-back, and Berberov for bouncing back from the previous match.

Manager's Goats: Pantsov and Pravaya. In an easy win, neither player really showed much.

Overall Assessment: Easy, easy win.

Russian 1st Division Game 8

St Pete's Boys vs Spartak Nalchik

Attendance: 7830

Weather: Drizzle, 9 Degrees

Starting Line-up: 4-4-2 Diamond, Toothrotski, Jenkov, Kharp ©, Raskolnikov, Pantsov, Misja, Powersov, Korjev, Pravaya, Abuzaglo, Bull

1st Half:

In a dreary day in St Petersburg, Nalchik came out with a negative approach, determined not to be blown out by the youngsters. They stacked the box with defenders, and in the 3rd minute when Korjev tried to dribble his way through, he couldn't find an open man other than Jenkov. Jenkov also tried to clear up some room with a good dribble, but no-one from St Pete's could find space in the clogged up penalty area.

No more chances until Misja's shot on a Abuzaglo knock-down rattled the post in the 14th minute. Abuzaglo couldn't convert on the rebound. A fairly ugly period followed, as neither team could really control the ball. Korjev half-volleyed a Pravaya pass, but it didn't really threatened the goal.

Suddenly, in the 34th minute, a seemingly harmless long ball from Kharp dropped into the penalty area, and landed on a leaping Abuzaglo's head. He had soared above the keeper and his header snuck in for a goal. 1-0 Abuzaglo

Both teams seemed to be bored, rather than enlivened by the goal, and it took the 4th official puttin the remaining time on the board before either team sprang back to life. Bull and Abuzaglo efforts on target were cleared away, and Toothrotski had to be called on to make a fine save after Jenkov had been beaten Uzdenov.

2nd half:

Jenkov went off for Chrzipplerinski.

Neither side came out with much passion in the 2nd half, so when Panstov strolled easily up the flank, little looked dangerous. His whipped in cross to the far post found Abuzaglo, and with an instinctive reaction the Moroccan-born striker powered home his second of the day. 2-0 Abuzaglo

Korjev went on one of his long 'run and shoots' in the 52nd minute, but his shot bounced off the upright. It was fairly dull after that, Pravaya's half-hearted header didn't really trouble the Nalchik keeper, and Abuzaglo's speculative shot in the 62nd went well over. Golo replaced a tiring Misja, and shortly after Bull found himself on the receiving end of a vicious tackle.

The ref was quick to show Huako the red, and Bull tried to struggle through the rest of the match. In the 82nd, it was clear he was done and Georgikov came on for him. Golo picked up a yellow, and neither team really threatened until the 90th minute when Abuzaglo and Pravaya combined well and were able to free up Korjev, but his shot went over just as the whistle blew.

Final: 2-0

MOM: Abuzaglo

Manager's Picks: Fairly solid from everyone. Kharp has probably been the best of the center-backs.

Manager's Goats: Raskolnikov, though it was less to do with him being poor than him not really making much impact in the dull game.

Overall assessment: The least exciting game so far, but an acceptable win. Abuzaglo was really the key man in this game, and looks to be the best offensive threat besides Nicholas.

Nicholas anxious to get back in action

Our reporter caught up with St. Pete's midfielder Evanov Nicholas as he sat around waiting to get back to fitness.

"An injury is a difficulty, much like my English," though the player insisted yet again that the interview be conducted in English. "But it is something I must persist, so other clubs can see I will be an attractive player that is not dumb and not speak only Russian."

Nicholas was pleased to see his teammates carrying on in his absence, recording two wins and one loss. "But that loss was painful. I felt just like Nikolai, played by the thesipian genius Dolph Lundgren, when he sees the African village destroyed by his countrymen in Red Scorpion." Asked about Red Scorpion 2, Nicholas spat and uttered a quick "It's crap--it doesn't even have Dolph."

Waiting to become fit again, Nicholas has spent his time away from the training ground undergoing physical training to correct his injury, has "discovered the pleasures of making my own vodka," and has acted as a surrogate father for teammate Bobski Berberov's goldfish Rasputin.

"Da, I have watched to be sure that the fish is okay. I'm not standing next to him during the whole game, but let me warn anyone: although you not see me next to fish, I am watching it. If the fish is hurt, you will be hurt next.

Berberov Thanks Teammates For Support

In an emotional outburst St. Pete’s Boys keeper Bobski Berberov gave thanks to his fellow players for rallying round and taking care of his pet goldfish Rasputin.

“I cannot express my gratitude enough to my friends here at the club for taking such good care of Rasputin when I am playing. It means so much to me to have him behind my goal and now I know that he is being looked out for I can relax and start to play. I am especially grateful to my good friend Evanov Nicholas as he has been particularly keen to protect my piscine pal. But he will soon be back fit and in the team scoring goals, and this is where we want him of course. I apologise for my poor performance against Rubin as I was distracted checking that the security measures had worked but now I am reassured and I played much better the next week.â€

In an unexpected twist, many of the team’s fans seem to have taken Rasputin to their hearts and increasing numbers are wearing fake shark fins and tee-shirts with “Fukovski†printed on them in tribute to the small but brave creature.

---

Russian 1st Division Game 9:

St Pete's Boys vs Kuban

Attendance: 8728

Weather: Dry, 28 Degrees

Starting Line-up: 4-4-2 Diamond, Berberov, Jenkov, Kharp ©, Misja, Iliev, Golo, Powersov, Pantsov, Nicholas, Abuzaglo, Anerdov

1st Half:

With Nicholas back from injury, the Boys were hoping to get another win to stay on top of the table. The pitch was in totally different condition than the previous home game, with a drastic change in temperature.

Kuban's direct style of play from their basic 4-4-2 formation, seemed to be troubling to the Boys, and after some scrappy play from Kuban, Berberov had to make a fingertip save on a Kovalenko header to prevent going a goal down.

St Pete's couldn't really find their rhythm, and Anerdov took out his frustration by tripping Kovalenko to get a yellow in the 18th. It seemed to back-fire as Kovalenko shorty thereafter got on the end of a Selin cross, made some space for himself, and fired home the opening goal. 0-1

Kovalenko and Selin were both making problems for the Boys, and it took a Panstov tackle on the goalscorer to end a chance in the 31st. The two combined again just before half-time, but luckily Selin's shot crashed off the crossbar.

2nd Half:

With his squad playing pretty well on the whole, Jenski didn't make any changes to start the second half. Nicholas rifled a freekick on target in the 48th minute, and Anerdov headed a good shot on goal in the 55th, but Kuban keeper Perov was up to the challenge both times.

The 61st minute saw a chance fall to Powersov, but his tight-angle shot went wide. Abuzaglo and Nicholas had combined well to set up the chance. In the 64th, Iliev and Anerdov were taken off for Chrzipperlinski and Georikov. The fullback wasted no time in getting a yellow by shoving a player to the ground. Nicholas also picked up a yellow, and was probably unlucky, since he just backed into a player unintentionally.

Finally in the 72nd, Abuzaglo got another chance, and with impressive vision he tried to lob Perov. The keeper was able to scramble back and make the save. On the ensuing corner, however, Abuzaglo was fouled in the air and the referee awarded a penalty.

Georgikov calmly took the penalty, and nestled it into the lower corner for a tie game. 1-1 Georgikov (pk)

St Pete's tried to push for a winner, and Nicholas overhead attempt on a Chrzipplerinski cross would have been dramatic, had it not sailed well over the bar. The midfielder tried another shot, this time with a header on a Pantsov cross, but it was well saved by Perov.

Jenski made a last substitution, bringin on Molotov for Golo, but no chances were available until the last minute. The subsitute found a run of Abuzaglo, and the striker's half-volley looked a possible winner ... but it sailed just over the crossbar.

Final: 1-1

MOM: Selin (Kuban)

Manager's Picks: Berberov, Kharp, and Golo kept us in the match.

Manager's Goats: Iliev and Anerdov didn't contribute much, and their replacements nearly reversed the loss to a win.

Overall Assessment: A tough game, and it really could have gone either way. Nicholas had his worst game of the season on his return from injury, Abuzaglo still looks our best striker.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> ************************************************************************************************

Russian First Division - Sunday 19th May 2002

************************************************************************************************

================================================================================================

2002 Table

================================================================================================

Pos Team Pld Won Drn Lst For Ag Won Drn Lst For Ag Pts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Rubin 9 3 2 0 9 6 3 1 0 10 6 21

2nd St Pete's Boys 9 2 1 2 11 7 4 0 0 14 3 19

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Khimki 9 3 0 1 9 8 2 3 0 9 7 18

4th Gaz-Gaz 9 3 2 0 12 6 2 1 1 8 6 18

5th Chernomorets 9 3 1 0 9 4 2 2 1 11 9 18

6th SKA Rostov-na-Donu 9 1 2 1 7 7 3 1 1 13 6 15

7th Kuban 9 4 0 0 9 1 0 3 2 5 8 15

8th Tom 9 2 1 1 10 5 2 1 2 4 5 14

9th Fakel 9 3 1 1 7 4 1 1 2 4 8 14

10th Neftekhimik 9 3 1 1 9 4 1 1 2 4 6 14

11th Kristall Smolensk 9 3 1 1 5 4 0 2 2 3 5 12

12th Metallurg Krasnoyarsk 9 1 0 3 3 6 2 1 2 13 12 10

13th SKA Khabarovsk 9 2 0 3 7 10 1 0 3 3 10 9

14th Volgar 9 1 2 1 9 8 1 0 4 6 11 8

15th Spartak Nalchik 9 1 1 3 5 7 1 0 3 2 5 7

16th Amkar 9 1 1 2 7 8 1 0 4 4 9 7

17th Lada 9 0 1 3 5 10 1 0 4 5 12 4

18th Lokomotiv Chita 9 0 1 4 6 17 0 1 3 4 11 2

2002 Goals

Pos Player Club Apps Gls

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Alexandr Alferov Metallurg Krasnoyarsk 9 9

2nd Mikhail Markarov SKA Rostov-na-Donu 7 9

3rd Evanov Nicholas St Pete's Boys 5 7

4th Eugeny Alkhimov Fakel 9 5

5th Nail Galimov Lokomotiv Chita 9 5

10th Garzon Moriz Abuzaglo St Pete's Boys 7 5

19th Aliasander Anerdov St Pete's Boys 6 (1) 4

2002 Assists

Pos Player Club Apps Asts

1st Andrey Kovalenko Kuban 9 7

2nd Alexandr Ignatov Volgar 9 5

3rd Lev Maiorov Chernomorets 9 5

4th Alexandr Averjanov Khimki 9 5

5th Ramil Bairashev Rubin 9 4

8th Evanov Nicholas St Pete's Boys 5 4

9th Garzon Moriz Abuzaglo St Pete's Boys 7 4

19th Alexander Korjev St Pete's Boys 6 3

20th Golo St Pete's Boys 6 (1) 3

2002 Average Rating

Pos Player Club Apps Av R

1st Evanov Nicholas St Pete's Boys 5 9.00

2nd Garzon Moriz Abuzaglo St Pete's Boys 7 8.57

3rd Mikhail Markarov SKA Rostov-na-Donu 7 8.43

4th Alexander Korjev St Pete's Boys 6 8.33

5th Alexandr Svistunov Chernomorets 4 (2) 8.17

7th Golo St Pete's Boys 6 (1) 7.86

16th Sergei Powersov St Pete's Boys 6 7.67

2002 Man of Match

Pos Player Club Apps MoM

1st Yury Shukanov Fakel 9 3

2nd Alexandr Alferov Metallurg Krasnoyarsk 9 3

3rd Vadim Belokhonov Tom 8 (1) 3

4th Nikolay Kurilov Gaz-Gaz 9 3

5th Mikhail Markarov SKA Rostov-na-Donu 7 3

7th Evanov Nicholas St Pete's Boys 5 3

16th Garzon Moriz Abuzaglo St Pete's Boys 7 2

</pre>

Approached by the Russian <STRIKE>mafia</STRIKE> media after St. Pete's game against Spartak Nalchik, Garzon Moriz Abuzaglo, "The Black Russian" was asked for a few words...

Q: You have been playing well this season. Your thoughts on the matter?

A: Abuzaglo make goal

Is there any truth to the rumours you are not Russian-born?

What of the stories linking you to the Western European mafia?

The disgruntled <STRIKE>mafia</STRIKE>

media give up the interview as a waste of time, after spying Abuzaglo's teammate Evanov Nicholas leaving the stadium. Whilst leaving, one of the reporters was heard to mutter "That living in the wild must have taken it out of Abuzaglo.. The guy can barely speak"

This morning explosive winger Alexander Korjev told the press he was unhappy with not starting every game.

"I'm clearly the best winger talent in the world, and I'm afraid that if I don't start every game, it will affect my magnificent performance. If it continues I will leave this club and go to Arsenal."

These words was told to The Russian Star journalist Mikka Narkissa, who he also spent the night with at a unknown hotel in China.

"Well he's a good player, but he could be a bit more humble," she said this afternoon, "and keep this off the record... He's got a tiny penis."

Georgiy Kharp stopped by for a post match interview after the game against Kuban

Kharp: Yes the team plays well. Although I am disapointed that when I don't play, they lose.

What are the expectations of the team this season?

Kharp: That *BLEEP* fish.

Kharp: Well, for me its to win. But, certain players seem to be carrying the team at the moment, and I know I am good, but am I that good?

And finally, your team's mascot..?

(Last one got out of order some how)

Georgiy Kharp stopped by for a post match interview after the game against Kuban

Kharp: Yes the team plays well. Although I am disapointed that when I don't play, they lose.

What are the expectations of the team this season?

Kharp: Well, for me its to win. But, certain players seem to be carrying the team at the moment, and I know I am good, but am I that good?

Yes, but isn't the players attitude to play for fun?

Do we get points for fun? Will fun win the league?

And finally, your team's mascot..?

Kharp: That *BLEEP* fish. No, I kid, I like the little fellow.

---

Evanov Nicholas out for 10 days due to a facial injury suffered during training.

---

Torpedo Moscov won the Russian Cup 3-1 over Uralan in extra time.

---

European Finals:

UEFA: Dortmund over Inter 1-0

Champions Cup: Arsenal 2-1 over Juventus

---

Russian 1st division Game 10[/i]

SKA Rostov-na-Donu vs St Pete's Boys

Attendance: 3444

Weather: Dry, 24 Degrees

Starting Line-up: Toothrotski, Jenkov, Raskolnikov, Molotov, Iliev, Golo ©, Powersov, Korjev, Pravaya, Abuzaglo, Anerdov

1st Half:

The home side came out attacking and got a result on their very first opportunity of the game, Vishnevsky setting up Zelikov for a goal in the 1st minute. Toothrotski didn't even react to the shot. 1-0

St Pete's didn't wait to react, and after Molotov started a move, the ball worked from Golo, to Korjev, and across to Powersov who headed home his first of the season. 1-1 Powersov

Back came Rostov in the 9th minute, and they worked a good goal to Boiko to retake the lead. 2-1

Every time Rostov tried to relax, however, the Boys of St Pete's came right at them. In the 14th minute, Powersov broke loose down the left and his floated ball across the middle met the head of a soaring Pravaya. 2-2 Pravaya

Jus minutes later the player had another attempt, but he missed over when he should have been able to knock it in. On 30 minutes, Powersov saw his header on a Jenkov ball denied, and then Pravaya narrowly missed just a minute after.

In the 35th, there was to be no denying Pravaya, as a team move ended in an Abuzaglo knock-down which the player drove into the net with fury. 2-3 Pravaya

St Petes were obviously enjoying the ridiculous pace of the game, and just 3 minutes later Anerdov got in on the act by pouncing on his own saved header to make it 4 for the boys. 2-4 Anerdov

Pravaya had three more chances to add to the lead before half-time but couldn't convert on any of them.

2nd half:

With his team seeming to be cruising to an easy win, Jenski pulled off Golo for Misja. If the pace was seeming to die down, it was a false hope as Anerdov had a chance in the 52nd just moments before Boiko's long range shot for the home side threatened Toothrotski's net. Misja was able to clear it out for a corner, but on the ensuing play Boiko made no mistake and scored. 3-4

St Pete's only waited a few minutes before replying, as Korjev broke loose down the right, crossed it over for Powersov, who chipped it back into the middle for Pravaya to head home his third of the day. 3-5 Pravaya

Panstov was brought in to give Korjev a break for the rest of the day, but it didn't seem to affect to flow of the game as Pravaya had another chance just moments later that went wide.

Molotov had to be taken off due to injury in the 76th, Kharp coming on in his place.

Chances for Anerdov, Powersov, Misja, Anerdov (again), and Abuzaglo all followed through the 85th minute. In the 88th, a foul stopped the game for a time, and although Jenkov bashed his freekick against the wall, Panstov was in good position to score his first goal. 3-6 Pantsov

Chance at the end for Abuzaglo, but completely unnecessary.

Final: 3-6

MOM: Powersov (2 assists, 1 goal)

Manager's Picks: Powersov, Pravaya, and Korjev were unstoppable.

Manager's Goats: Toothrotski allowed 3 goals in 5 chances. Lucky for him his attackers were ready to score a dozen if needed.

Overall assessment: We created 20 chances, and didn't commit a single foul. Whatever we ate before this game, we should do it again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Westwood Wizard:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by attjen:

---

Evanov Nicholas out for 10 days due to a facial injury suffered during training.

---

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, who punched me? angryfire.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ''Crippler'' is sorry comrade team mate but his pent up agression has been building inside him for weeks, especially after his knuckle dusters were confiscated during a random security search after training last week.

Comrade Jenski has forbidden him any yellow cards this season and his anger management classes have told him to release the fury.

It was either you....or biting the head off the goldfish

Khrenovoe Gavno

St. Petes Boys continue thier remarkable ascension into the Russian First League, with an increadible opening run of games. Thier record of 7 Wins 1 Loss and 2 Draws puts them right up near the head of the table, lofty heights for a team that was expected to struggle to stay afloat as a viable enterprise not to mention picked by many to go right back down given the obvious lack of experienced players in the side. The Boys have clearly upset the league, though most expect a slide as the season approaches the mid stretch.

We caught up with the sensational Striker Mikhael Markarov who plays for the recently vanquished Rostov. Rostov on the Don is expected to be challengers for the league this year and are currently languishing 7 points behind the upstart Boys in mid table.

KG: Mickael Markarov, you were not able to play in the last game versus Dinamo Peterburg, as the coach saw this as an opportunity to rest you, though you were in a rich vein of scoring form. Your thoughts on the game.

MM: I was extremely disappointed not to be in the side. We lost a good chance to stay with the leaders, and knock St. Pete's Brats back down a notch.

KG: How do you explain Dinamo Petersburg position above you on the table given thier youth an inexperience?

MM: They have only been buoyed up by the fact that they have been playing the weaker teams. When faced with sides of quality, they have had real problems. The Hatchet Men of Rubin clearly dominated them, showing how easy it is to throw them off of thier game by playing strong in the midfeild. Kuban also looked the more likely to win recently, and should have taken all 3 points but for a very questionable penalty called on a 50/50 high challenge late in the game.

KG: At 3-6, todays score line more more of a tennis match score. Where did your side lose control today?

MM: Today Boiko and Kovalenko siezed control of the game early. Clearly we had more skill on the ball and play a much more beautiful game. But tell me, how is it possible for a team full of no mark thugs like Golo Gubarev and Robert Raskolnikov have gone all game without as much as one foul called against them when they practically mugged ours every time down the pitch. REDICULOUS!! They plug this sham of a winger Kopiteski Pravaya in at forward - and the lanky streak of **** somehow finds the back of the net three times, twice on balls that doink in off his head?! Those weren't strikes. Accidents. And that little dork -- Anerdov? Surely he isn't a football player. No athletic talent, looks like he couldn't get a date much less a game on the field growing up.

KG: Yet this team of misfits crush. . . er beat you 6-3 on your own ground. Surely that wasn't all by accident.

MM: No, you are right. They have obviously bought off the ref. It is widely known that this new team is backed largely by a dark element. The Russian Mafia likely pay thier payroll. Surely a couple of thier "players" are largely thugs on the side! And thier Manager -- Maksimov Jenski? He was seen "discussing" things with the match referee prior to the game. No, I don't like this team one bit. Surely this lucky streak will not last. I fancy our chances to beat them next time we meet.

KG: And what about thier talismanic fish that so dominates the psyche of the players?

MM: What?!!! What the **** are you talking about? Fish? Are you **** crazy! That's it's were done, I've got better things to do than talk about cat food. . .

---

Molotov out for 2 weeks with a thigh strain.

---

Russian 1st Division Game 11

St Pete's Boys vs Neftekhimik

Attendance: 6243

Weather: Drizzle, 21 Degrees

Starting Line-up: 4-4-2 Diamond, Berberov, Jenkov, Raskolnikov, Kharp ©, Iliev, Golo, Powersov, Korjev, Nicholas, Pravaya, Abuzaglo

1st Half:

Neftekhimik came out against the boys with a conservative 4-4-2 defensive style, intending to counterattack only.

It seemed to be working, as the realy first chance game in the 10th minute when Nicholas tumbled in the box after being barged over, but no penalty was forthcoming. The referee did point at the spot 15 minutes later when Jenkov had to take down Slabocich with a professional foul. Tyufyakov stepped up and scored past Berberov. 0-1

The 29th minute saw St Pete's finally find some chances after a freekick gave them some pressure. Kharp had a chance that was well saved and Abuzaglo missed a header just wide. Jenkov had the next chance as Nicholas picked out his overlap, but Slobod'ko did brilliantly to turn it around for a corner.

2nd Half:

Having had few chances in the first half, but with everyone playing pretty well, Jenski was hoping for a breakthrough. Powersov did well to get loose on the left flank and his cross found Abuzaglo, but he missed wide. Another headed chance for him came in the 64th, but Slobod'ko made a fingertip save, another splendid effort.

3 minutes later and a breakthrough seemed guaranteed. Nicholas got shoved over in the box yet again, this time for a pk. The referee made a strange decision and allowed subs. Jenski brought in Misja for Golo and Georgikov for Pravaya. The substitute striker set up the ball on the spot and struck it home calmy. 1-1 Georgikov (pk)

The Boys defense was holding up well, but chances were rare with Slobod'ko on stellar form. Anerdov came on for Abuzaglo in a last roll of the dice, and his 84th minute shot was well taken, but saved.

In the ensuing play, Jenkov whipped in a cross after picking up a loose ball, Korjev got to the end of it, nutmegged a player and unleashed a wicked shot... but it bounced back off the bar for the last chance of the game.

Final: 1-1

MOM: Slobod'ko (Neftekhimik)

Manager's Picks: Nicholas was the best threat, but Misja was effective of the bench making 4 runs to try and open up the visitor's backline.

Manager's Goat: No-one.

Overall Assessment: Unlucky loss. Very easily could have been a win, but keeper Slobod'ko was masterful.

Quote from week 7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tonerovski picked up an injury and had to be taken off for Molotov </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not featured since so how long am i/was i out for?

whoops missed a couple lines...

After Game 7:

Vladimir Tonerovski out for a month with a groin strain suffered in the game against Chita.

After Game 8:

Bull out for a month with a pulled hamstring, thanks to the nasty tackle he received.

Russian 1st Division Game 12

Lada vs St Pete's Boys

Attendance: 3700

Weather: Dry, 14 Degrees

Starting Line-up: 4-4-2 Diamond, Berberov, Chrzipplerinksi, Misja, Kharp ©, Pantsov, Raskolnikov, Powersov, Korjev, Nicholas, Pravaya, Abuzaglo

1st Half:

Lada traded early attacks with the Boys as Abuzaglo forced a good save from the keeper and Shishelov missed just over within the first 5 minutes. Abuzaglo again got to the end of a cross in the 6th, but it was turned away for a corner. Powersov hit a long raking cross from the left that Korjev controlled, and rifled through the crowd into the bottom corner of the net. 0-1 Korjev

In the 10th minute, St Pete's goalscorer nearly turned provider as his cross into the box found a free Pravaya, who had plenty of time to head home a second, but he missed. It was a real sitter. On 19 minutes, Lada created a good chance from Brovin and Berun that freed up Davydov, who outjumped Kharp to tie up the game. 1-1

Nicholas picked up a slight knock in the 29th minute, but tried to play through it, nearly setting up Abuzaglo whose header flashed just wide of the post. 2 minutes later, and Powersov crashed a header off the crossbar from a Kharp freekick.

In th 41st, Pravaya made up for his earlier miss, by taking a Abuzaglo knockdown, cutting inside of his player and unleashing his 5th goal of the season. 1-2 Pravaya

2nd Half:

Jenkov came on for Chrzipplerinski. The first chance of the half fell to Abuzaglo as he found himself one on one with the Lada keeper after a Raskolnikov run had beaten the back line. The striker hit a good low drive, but it just clipped the post and went wide.

Berberov made a fine double save in the 52nd, and though he couldn't hold on to either shot, Jenkov was on hand to hoof it clear. Abuzaglo and Pravaya were still threatening the Lada net, but it was the home team that came closest next as Parmuzin hit a long shot that just went over in the 57th. In the 67th, Powersov's on-going argument with the referee finally ended as the man in black gave the winger a yellow for dissent.

After Nicholas went off, still struggling with his earlier injury, the two teams traded chances as Shishelov missed just wide and Pravaya headed another chance wide that he shouldn't have missed.

Georgikov came on for Abuzaglo in the 77th. Lada maintained some good posession in the final minutes, but it was Anerdov's 90th minute volley that came closest to scoring another goal.

Final: 1-2

MOM: Korjev

Manager's Picks: Berberov had one his best games minding the nets, and Raskolnikov had an excellent day in the DMC position, making 7 interceptions and 4 runs.

Manager's Goat: Chrzipplerinski didn't play well.

Overall Assessment: A far closer game than it should have been as both teams had 5 chances on goal, and Lada had far too much possession.

Despite the good run of scoring form that Kopiteski Pravaya was in, something was definately bothering the Winger turned Striker. "Prav" (as he was becoming known in the training room) avoided the glare of his coach as the sides made thier way back to the locker room. The game had been much tougher than it really should have been, as St. Petes seemed to dominate Lada at thier home, but left it in doubt for all three points as they were happy to hear the full time whistle blow with a one goal victory. Prav in truth had scored the game winner, yet still had missed two sitters during the game, and hadn't contributed much else to the attack.

"Pravaya!" . . .

CRAP -- Prav knew what was coming -- especially by the note of heat he'd sensed in Coach Jenski's voice.

". . . You played increadibly . . . AVERAGE! Look Comrad, had you not scored that goal, I'd have been booing you myself. What gives?"

"Yes sir, your right. I'd have been on a hat track, if only my bloody head wouldn't get in the way." But that was one of his strong points! Or it was supposed to be. Standing 6'6" -- Pravaya seemed a little out of place on the the wing, but in truth his crossing ability far outweighed his ability to direct a half decent cross into the goal. Sure he could get on the end of practically anything that was served up, but for some reason, he'd never been able to get them to go where he'd wanted to.

"Look Pravaya -- Don't you like to score -- because with a couple of those chances, it was much hard to miss!"

"Yes sir. I love to score, and I know that I can be one of your best players. I just need to put more practice in on finishing with my head. I know I should be a terror there, but really, getting the headed ball to go where it should has terrorized me. Maybe we could really concentrate on that for me during our training? I'd put some extra time in on it. Before or after practice, on evenings. Whatever you need coach."

"Yeah, whatever. How bout you just open your blinking eyes when the ball comes into you high, RIGHT. Maybe that would fix your problem."

"Right."

"Just imagine your a fish. . . Fish don't blink. Hell, fish sleep with their eyes open. Think like a fish!"

"Fish?"

"FISH!"

---

End of Season Awards:

FIFA World Player of the Year: Rivaldo

World Footballer: Elber

---

Russian Division 1 - Game 13

St Pete's Boys vs Tom

Attendance: 14412

Weather: Dry, 20 Degrees

Starting Line-up: Toothrotski, Chrzipplerinski, Tonerovski, Kharp ©, Iliev, Bull, Raskolnikov, Pantsov, Pravaya, Anerdov, Abuzaglo

1st Half:

Tom lined up in a 4-1-3-2 formation and looked to be playing a long ball style against St Pete's. The first chance of the game resulted in the first goal in the 7th minute. Raskolnikov showed great skill down the flank, beating 3 players and centering the ball for Abuzaglo who headed home the opener. 1-0 Abuzaglo

In the 9th and 10th minute, Pravaya had a good freekick saved and Abuzaglo's header was also turned away. Tom's Silyutin had a good chance in the 11th, and Raskonikov's swerving attempt went well wide.

In the 18th Toothrotski had to react quickly to push a Silyutin shot away for a corner, and in the 22nd Anerdov missed wide. Tom was having extended periods of possession and looking very dangerous in attack. Raskolnikov went down with an injury in the 37th and had to be taken off for Golo.

The half ended with good saves from Toothrotski and his opposite number on the other end of the pitch.

2nd Half:

Georgikov came on for a quickly tiring Abuzaglo. On Tom's first possession their could passing freed up Sebelev and he beat everyone to the through ball, and poked home past a iron-footed Toothrotski. 1-1

Posession was seriously weighted towards Tom now, having switched from 50/50 in the first half to 40/60 in favor of the visitors. Toothrotski had to make a fine save in the 52nd, and when he got his fingers to a Peredyna shot, his teammates were no where to be found to clear away the rebound. Silyutin made no mistake in burying the loose ball. 1-2

In the 68th, Bull found Pravaya out wide and his curled ball to Anerdov forced Surotsev into a good save. Zelenov could have made it three for the visitors as Toothrotski couldn't hold his fierce volley, but the Lada player put the rebound wide with the net completely open.

In the 74th, Jenkov came on for Iliev. The boys couldn't find possession, and the game ended with a loss in front of the large home crowd.

Final: 1-2

MOM: Abuzaglo

Manager's Picks: Pravaya and Raskolnikov had good games, but Chrzipplerinski had by far his best game of the season with an 11 tackle performance.

Manager's Goats: Both Iliev and Georgikov were fairly terrible, but for this game the manager will take most of the blame.

Overall Assessement: The 4-1-3-2 formation clearly puts too much pressure on the back 4, and we will have to make bigger adjustments to prevent this kind of loss in the future. Expect to see us switch to a 4-5-1 next time we face an opponent who lines up like that against us.

Russian 1st Division - Game 14

Khimki vs St Pete's Boys

Attendance: 4481

Weather: Dry, 5 Degrees

Starting Line-up: Berberov, Chrzipplerinski, Molotov, Tonerovski ©, Iliev, Bull, Powersov, Korjev, Nicholas, Pravaya, Abuzaglo

1st Half:

This game was over in the first 15 minutes. Nicholas chested the ball down in the middle of the pitch, picked out a run of Powersov, who headed home in the 3rd minute. 0-1 Powersov

On the boys next posession, a good team move ended with Abuzaglo heading home a Korjev cross from deep for another. 0-2 Abuzaglo

Powersov freekick almost made it three in the 7th minute, but it was saved. Pravaya got into the act in the 11th, finding himself alone in good position and he didn't waste the opportunity. 0-3 Pravaya

Pravaya nearly scored again in the 12th but went wide. Powersov crossed for Bull in the 14th, and the midfielder attempted to create some space for his own shot, but had the ball tackled away. Nicholas picked up the loose ball and rocketed home a fourth before the 15 minute mark. 0-4 Nicholas

Fairly cruising now, the Boys relaxed a bit. Both Bull and Abuzaglo picked up yellows. Berberov made two fine saves to keep the zero for the home team. A couple of chances either way before the half, and Bull escaped a penalty decision just before the break.

2nd Half:

Anerdov came on for Abuzaglo at the half. Powersov's half-volley would have been terrific in the 76th minute, but it was saved by Kotov. Bull and Nicholas came off for Georgikov and Misja. The new players seemed to enliven the game, but it was Powersov who was still pulling the strings. He hit the bar in the 76th and then set up Misja for a the player's first goal of the season. 0-5 Misja

Final: 0-5

MOM: Nicholas

Manager's Picks: Powersov was given ages to run with the ball. Bull made 10 tackles and 5 interceptions.

Manager's Goats: No-one

Overall Assessment: We seem to have a knack for crushing opponents in front of their home fans. Bizarre. So far we are unbeaten and untied on the road and have scored 27 goals while only conceding 7 in those games.

---

Golo out for 3 weeks due to a calf strain suffered in training.

---

European Qualifiers:

Champions Cup: Spartak Moscow, Lokomotiv Moscow

UEFA Cup: Torpedo-ZIL, Zenith Peterburg

Inter-toto: Torpedo Moscow, Krylja Sovetov

---

Trever Quow has joined the club as player/coach.

---

St Pete's Boys have been drawn against Spartak Nalchik in the 2nd Round of the Russian Cup. The game will be Wednesday July 3rd.

Archived