The Official English National Football Team Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swiss away probably our hardest game, playing them 2nd is the same thing we did with Croatia last time. Get the impression Capello likes the ahrdest game out the way early maybe

They were decided by a random draw in the end, because all the different FAs failed to agree a schedule.

Not too bad, but I think he'd rather have played Bulgaria/Montenegro away earlier on.

Just some random thoughts after the football this weekend. I think Lampard has been solid for us under Capello. But it's clearly not top end Lampard (eg: yesterday). I think he has had more defensive duties for England, seems to interchange with Barry a bit when deciding to go forward. I do wonder whether we should try a 451 in one of the friendlies before the WC. Barry, Gerrard and Lampard giving more freedom for Lampard. TBH I'd love to see Barry-Carrick behind Lampard but that isn't gonna happen with Gerrard around.

on the replay, it wasn't the actual "challenge" but he landed awkwardly and his foot buckled a bit (twisted ankle, maybe ligaments etc), doesn't look as bad, think we're fine for RSA, but he'll probably be out of the Utd Chelski game and maybe even the 2nd leg vs Bayern. Sir Alex says its a wait and see until tomorrow

The following is little more than a rant, sorry! I couldn't think of which other thread to put it in.

Tony Cascarino has a weekley "column" in The Sunday Times, where he simply lists five things which are on his mind (regarding football).

It's usually pretty terrible, but as it's centre-right on page three of a well respected newspaper, so I guess I am in a minority and people love his views.

Number Five today was (I'm paraphrasing) "Bent needs to go to the World Cup this summer, instead of a third goalkeeper. Third goalkeepers are never used anyway so instead of wasting the spot take Bent"

Now, call me old-fashioned, but if you are paid by a newspaper (heck - what has being paid got to do with it anyway - it should just be pride?) to offer comment shouldn't you read up on the subjects you are commenting on?

It's a FIFA rule that national teams have to take three goalkeepers to tournaments such as the WC.

I couldn't care less if Bent goes or not, but by saying third GKs are pointless he is ignorant of the basic rules.

/rant

that is terrible knowledge there. Cascarino such an idiot.

In other news, A.Cole should be back playing in 3/4 weeks and hopefully Hargreaves can get some game time, would love to see him at the WC.

Also good to see Joe Cole play well against United, he's usually one of our unsung heroes in international comps

Yes, originally was 22 players but they then made it 23 for an extra keeper.

The thing with Bent is that we are likely to take 2 target men and 2 goal scorers. Bent would come under goal scorers and wont be ahead of Defoe or Rooney. And Bent has had a few chances and never impressed or even scored for England. Recently he started against Brazil and was pretty bad. Whereas Defoe scored twice against Holland and Rooney is Rooney.

Cascarino is a clown.

Best ever footy song. Some awesome penalties taken in that shootout with Germany. Its amazing how many more good English strikers we had in 96,

A.Cole, Sheringham, Wright, Ferdinand, Shearer, Fowler, Collymore without even thinking.

Compared to Rooney and erm....C.Cole, Heskey, Crouchie etc

Seaman was a lot better than what we have in goal now too. Defence and Midfield would be a good debate, I'd go for our current lot, although I think the Euro 96' team had greater depth.

Euro 96 squad

1 GK David Seaman 19 September 1963 (aged 32) 24 Arsenal

2 DF Gary Neville 18 February 1975 (aged 21) 10 Manchester United

3 DF Stuart Pearce 24 April 1962 (aged 34) 65 Nottingham Forest

4 MF Paul Ince 21 October 1967 (aged 28) 19 Internazionale

5 DF Tony Adams (captain) 10 October 1966 (aged 29) 40 Arsenal

6 DF Gareth Southgate 3 September 1970 (aged 25) 4 Aston Villa

7 MF David Platt 10 June 1966 (aged 29) 58 Arsenal

8 MF Paul Gascoigne 27 May 1967 (aged 29) 38 Rangers

9 FW Alan Shearer 13 August 1970 (aged 25) 23 Blackburn Rovers

10 FW Teddy Sheringham 2 April 1966 (aged 30) 15 Tottenham Hotspur

11 MF Darren Anderton 3 March 1972 (aged 24) 11 Tottenham Hotspur

12 DF Steve Howey 26 October 1971 (aged 24) 4 Newcastle United

13 GK Ian Walker 31 October 1971 (aged 24) 2 Tottenham Hotspur

14 MF Nick Barmby 11 February 1974 (aged 22) 6 Middlesbrough

15 MF Jamie Redknapp 25 June 1973 (aged 22) 4 Liverpool

16 DF Sol Campbell 18 September 1974 (aged 21) 1 Tottenham Hotspur

17 MF Steve McManaman 11 February 1972 (aged 24) 10 Liverpool

18 FW Les Ferdinand 8 December 1966 (aged 29) 10 Newcastle United

19 DF Phil Neville 21 January 1977 (aged 19) 1 Manchester United

20 MF Steve Stone 20 August 1971 (aged 24) 6 Nottingham Forest

21 FW Robbie Fowler 9 April 1975 (aged 21) 3 Liverpool

22 GK Tim Flowers 3 February 1967 (aged 29) 8 Blackburn Rovers

The WC98 squad would of been better if they had taken Dion Dublin :(

I'm not joking. He was joint top scorer in the Prem going into that WC (think it was that year). He could of doubled up as centre back too. Would of taken him over Rio Ferdinand or Merson to WC98 :D We took 5 centre backs ffs

Maybe a bit biased....... but was really disapointed he never went.

1 GK David Seaman 19 September 1963 (aged 34) England Arsenal

2 DF Sol Campbell 18 September 1974 (aged 23) England Tottenham Hotspur

3 DF Graeme Le Saux 17 October 1968 (aged 29) England Chelsea

4 MF Paul Ince 21 October 1967 (aged 30) England Liverpool

5 DF Tony Adams 10 October 1966 (aged 31) England Arsenal

6 DF Gareth Southgate 3 September 1970 (aged 27) England Aston Villa

7 MF David Beckham 2 May 1975 (aged 23) England Manchester United

8 MF David Batty 2 December 1968 (aged 29) England Newcastle United

9 FW Alan Shearer 13 August 1970 (aged 27) England Newcastle United

10 FW Teddy Sheringham 2 April 1966 (aged 32) England Manchester United

11 MF Steve McManaman 11 February 1972 (aged 26) England Liverpool

12 DF Gary Neville 18 February 1975 (aged 23) England Manchester United

13 GK Nigel Martyn 11 August 1966 (aged 31) England Leeds United

14 MF Darren Anderton 3 March 1972 (aged 26) England Tottenham Hotspur

15 MF Paul Merson 20 March 1968 (aged 30) England Middlesbrough

16 MF Paul Scholes 16 November 1974 (aged 23) England Manchester United

17 MF Rob Lee 1 February 1966 (aged 32) England Newcastle United

18 DF Martin Keown 24 July 1966 (aged 31) England Arsenal

19 FW Les Ferdinand 18 December 1966 (aged 31) England Tottenham Hotspur

20 FW Michael Owen 14 December 1979 (aged 18) England Liverpool

21 DF Rio Ferdinand 7 November 1978 (aged 19) England West Ham United

22 GK Tim Flowers

Fair point on the CB's, how good was he there though? I can't really remember? Hoddle had some great ideas, think he is a brilliant pundit, shame he was so shoking at man management. Maybe Gazza was on a self destruct mission, but his handling of Beckham was poor.

edit- but did we play 3 CB's under Hoddle? If so 5 is justified for me. Getting confused on formations, played a mixture of 3-5-2 and 4-4-2 iirc.

really, really looking like Lennon won't make it, no word on when he's supposedly due back, is there? I hope he gets plenty of time to prove himself, got until end of May, I'd hope he makes the initial 30 or whatever is it before it gets scaled back for the squad

really, really looking like Lennon won't make it, no word on when he's supposedly due back, is there? I hope he gets plenty of time to prove himself, got until end of May, I'd hope he makes the initial 30 or whatever is it before it gets scaled back for the squad

I'll be really upset if Lennon doesn't make it. He was awesome in the 5-1 against Croatia. So was everyone really. That's like the benchmark performance for us. If we can play like that in SA then who knows. And Lennon was vital in that game.

Archived