Mr Hough 10.3 Tactics

Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.  

1,063 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tactic Do You Think Is The Best Version.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing radical, just a few minor ones based on common sense:

1. This is the main one. Increase the passing for both MCs to mixed, the middle setting on the slider. This is to give the MCs more options and take more advantage of situations when a through pass can lead to a good scoring opportunity.

2. Increased creative freedom by one notch for both FBs. This is to make them a bit more effective in attack. I've also increase the passing by a couple notches, but this was mainly to suit my own players. Both of my FBs are good passers, so I've decided to take advantage of it.

3. Increased the passing for all three strikers by 2 notches. Again, it's to give them more options, because sometimes they would try to dribble or shoot from bad positions when instead they could have simply made a quick pass to a teammate in a better position to score.

So as you can see, nothing major. Just some minor tweaks really to improve team play in general.

However, in actual matches, I also make minor tweaks to tempo and time wasting, but these I've always done, no matter what tactic I'm using.

I managed to get to just over 110 matches unbeaten, then lost due to some bad luck mostly, like conceding own goals. However, in just league play, I'm still unbeaten in 100 matches.

100gamesundefeated.png

See above.

Here's a few more tips for all of you to maximize the effectiveness for your own teams:

1. Just as what I've mentioned earlier about increasing the passing for the MCs and STs, you can also do this with a few other positions. That is if you have players with good passing, decisions, and anticipation there. For example if you have another good passer in the DMC position, then increase his passing as well. In my own game, my DMC is a really good passer, so I increased his passing to match that of the MCs. I've also increased his creative freedom to match those of MCs. The creative freedom increase has to do with his high mental stats as well. I want to take advantage of these, hence the increase.

2. As I said in the first point above, try increasing the creative freedom a bit for players that would be able to handle it. Ones with good decisions and anticipation. Having good creativity also wouldn't hurt. In fact, in my game, I increased the creative freedom for the entire backline by one notch. This is to help them in moving the ball around. Sometimes when players have too low creative freedom, they will be indecisive about where and to whom to pass to, which can lead to mistakes, interceptions, and subsequent counter attacks by the opposition. It's also evident in the players' behavior on the pitch. Sometimes you'll see a player receive the ball and then he'll sort of spin around with it, not really knowing what to do. This usually indicates that his creative freedom and/or passing are set too low.

***CAUTION*** Don't think of the two tweaks above as being uniform across all players. For example, if your backup DMC does not have good passing, then you should decrease his passing when you bring him on, don't let him play with a mixed passing setting, because he'll give away the ball often. Same if he has low mental settings, set his creative freedom to a lower setting. You basically want to play to your teams strengths as much as possible and keep away from your team's weaknesses as much as possible. So if you have a great passing DMC, then that is your strength and you want to exploit it. However, once that player is subbed off for someone who is just an average passer at best, then that strength now becomes your weakness, which you want to avoid. Just common sense really.

3. I've re-worked the defensive corner routine from Mr. Hough's original one. The main reason for this is actually the FM engine itself. There's a problem when you tell a player to simply stay back on defensive corners. The player ends up doing very little in terms of actual defense. Instead, that player needs to be give more specific instructions, like Man Mark or Mark Tall Player for example. Essentially what I recommend is changing all the players that are simply set to "stay back" to some other instruction.

In my own game I have my team set in the following way:

GK: default

DR: mark far post

DL: mark small player

DC: mark tall player

DC: mark tall player

DMC: man mark

MCr: mark near post

MCl: mark small player

STr: close down corner

STc: forward

STl: forward

I havent, would you know what page they're on? Have only gone by the OP and teamtalk thread.

all in there pal

Your right it's not massivay wide but they do play wide i have them on the normal setting so they basicaly make there own decisions what to do instead of me telling one setting like hug the line or cut inside, I think this gets the best out of them.

well first of all thx for the response.

but I meant width for team instructions. it looked like you dont play with so much width in general. your defensive line and your 2 MCs were playing very close to each other.

and as some guys wrote above me, would be really nice, if you could upload a beta version so that many users can try it out and could tell you where they have seen some disadvantages, as your latest 41212 with defensive problems.

and I guess I could really get some very important and useful infos for setting my wingers in my 4231 system.

Thisis brilliant dirtyACE and will help alot of people out, Thanks for taking the time to write this out.

No problem, I'm glad I can help others enjoy and understand the game better.

One small request though. Could you clear some space in your PM box? I'm trying to send you a message :)

I've taken mr hough's 4-1-2-3 unbeaten tactic and turned it into 4-2-4 tactic to prepare myself for his new classic tactic which is coming out soon (i hope he doesn't mind) I would suggest you use the tactic only if you're squad has a 'strong understanding' to be on the safe side. All i did was move the Dmc to midfield with a back arrow, moved the left central midfielder to the left wing, and moved the poacher to the right wing. I went from 'through the middle' to mixed for varied play and i moved every players mentality back 2 notches. Remember i'm just doing this until mr hough brings out the new classic winger tactic so i can prepare my team. I have to say it's working very well and i'm still winning games. The first 3 games was a bit tense but that was because the team were getting used to the formation. So here it is. I hope you like it. And i'll be interested to hear what you think of it:-

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZHAFIZNI

Mate just so you know that tactic has 3 strikers and 1 AML, but I guess I'm correct in putting the middle striker has the AMR? Thanks for the upload.

yeah that's right. Sorry. I hope you like it and get as much joy as i am. I think i'm pretty close to the way mr hough will do his new tactic. Tell me how you get on please. Thanks

dirty ace you know the tactic you are using it's the classic 1 yea

No, it's the Unbeaten Final version, but it is made as a classic tactic, by which I mean the tactics wizard/creator was not used.

With Dirty Ace Changes, My Man Utd Squad Is Untouchable. (THey are world world class though) but still i dominate everyone. AFter 19 Prem Games only conceded 4.

Glad to see it's working for you. I think the tweaks especially benefit the better teams due to the fact that some of the players are given more freedom to use their superior mental and technical stats.

Glad to see it's working for you. I think the tweaks especially benefit the better teams due to the fact that some of the players are given more freedom to use their superior mental and technical stats.

Yea That's Very True I Have Gourcuff & Kaka In the CM roles with De Rossi As DM.

Kaka & Gourcuff are going a bit wild but if i give KAka too much creative freedom (Max) i notice a downgrade in the whole teams performance also noticed this when i told him to run with ball often so i stick with your tweaks and he's on Fire!

Hello, my first post here, so i'll begin by thanking you for sharing your knowledge and this nice tactic. I am using the Classic Unbeaten version and applied some of the tweaks mentionned by DirtyAce. While my results have been good so far, i am loosing against the better side of my league (Lyon, Lille) while i do have a superior squad. These teams play either a 451 counter or a 4231. The thing is in those games i conceded very "stupid" goals, and ever since those games the same keeps happening against most opponents:

After an attack my FB is up the pitch, the AI throws a Long ball down the wing behind my FB. Now there lone striker is around my penalty area along with my CB, and they have their midfielder going for the ball (my DM sits in the middle of the pitch when this happens). And here the drama occur, my GK (mandanda) appear and try to fight for the ball, usually he is too late as he comes from so far ( the ball is usually around the 40 yard mark!!), or if he isn't late he just toss the ball a few meters ahead and their midfielder take a 50 yards long shot and score. I hope this is a clear enough description.

Anyway , at first when i saw the goal i laughed and thought "Oh well steve had a i wanna be a hero moment", but it cost me the win, next game come, bam, exact same goal, now am not laughing so much :p Ever since that game he has been doing that and i am leaking 1-2 goals per game! ^^ I really don't understand his behaviour either because the ball is so far from the penalty area it seems ridiculous to go for it, especially when both of my CB are in position and there is no "extreme" danger, i mean sure their midfielder is going to get the ball and they have a good counter attack but it's usually a 2 vs 3 (his AMR/L+ST vs My 2 CB+ 1 FB).

Has anyone encountered this behaviour from the keeper, or any suggestion to stop him :p. Thanks a lot in advance, have a nice day everyone!

I have updated the OP with DirtyACE's modded tactic, Incase you don't wanna go to the OP here it is.

AVD MOD – Mr. Hough’s Unbeaten Final Version

Before I get to the actual tweaks, I want to state that these are not some magical tweaks that will suddenly turn your squad into world beaters. They are simply slight adjustments based on personal observations from my own career game, experience, and common sense. Keep in mind, to get the absolute most out of your players, takes more than just tactics, but I’m not going to go into any more detail about that. There are already plenty of threads around these forums covering other aspects (such as team talks) of football management.

Now, with that out of the way, here are the tweaks:

Passing tweaks:

- FB right only: increased by 2 notches

- DMC: set to middle of slider

- MCs: set to middle of slider

- STs: increased by 4 notches

***Explanation*** The passing tweaks are to promote more team-play. To get more players involved in overall build up of attacks, to take advantage of opportunities of through passes, and to encourage players to perform more intelligent actions. For example, making a quick through pass to a teammate in a better position, rather than taking a pointless long shot, or trying to attempt a difficult dribble.

A lesser secondary benefit of this tweak is to help with passing on muddy pitches.

Creative Freedom tweaks:

- FBs: increased by 1 notch

- CBs: increased by 1 notch

- MCs: increased by 1 notch

***Explanation*** The creative freedom tweaks are to compliment the passing tweaks, to promote more team-play. They are also to give slightly more freedom to players, to take advantage of their mental stats. This particular tweak will obviously suit better players a bit more than average players, due to the fact that better players have better mental stats on the average. This tweak also helps the back line to move the ball around. At times they can seem indecisive with the ball, which can lead to bad passes or holding onto the ball too long, only to get it taken away by an opponent.

Tackling tweaks:

- MCs: set to mixed

***Explanation*** I simply noticed that my MCs were getting booked too often, even though they are top class players with good tackling and anticipation stats. Due to them being good players, I decided to let them choose what type of tackle to perform, hence the tweak.

Through Balls tweaks:

- FB left only: set to rarely

***Explanation*** This is an optional tweak. I made it simply because my left FB is not a good or even decent passer, so I’ve decided to limit him in this area. Just as in any other tactic, I try to limit my team’s weaknesses as much as possible, hence this tweak. However, if your left FB is a good passer, then ignore this tweak.

Defensive Corners tweaks:

- FB right: mark small player

- FB left: mark far post

- CBs: mark tall players

- DMC: man mark

- MC right: mark near post

- MC left: mark small player

- ST right: close down corner

- ST center: forward

- ST left: forward

***Explanation*** The reworking of the defensive corner routine has more to do with the FM engine than anything else. The previous routine had too many players set on simply “stay back” instructions, which is actually flawed in how it works. The players end up doing almost next to nothing in terms of actual defense. It’s much better to give players more specific instructions, such as “man mark” or “mark tall/small player”.

The way I set up the corner routine also reflects my players’ abilities. I would recommend keeping the same type of instructions, but simply switching them between players, depending on their abilities. For example, if a player is good at marking, concentration, anticipation, positioning, then he should be assigned one of the man marking roles. Usually the center backs are assigned to mark tall players because they’re good at jumping and are usually strong. The strikers can remain they way they are already, no change is necessary there.

Attacking Corners tweaks:

- CBs: swap instructions

***Explanation*** I swapped the instructions because I usually tend to play a more aggressive and braver CB in the right CB position, and he usually does better on attacking corners due to this, hence he is set to attack far post.

Here is the tactic

http://www.filefront.com/17166223/AVD-MOD---Mr-Hough-4-1-2-3-Unbeaten-Final-Version.-Crdoba-Oct-2018.tac/

Enjoy guys and thanks DIrtyACE for taking the time to make these tweaks and explain them in such detail.

I have updated the OP with DirtyACE's modded tactic, Incase you don't wanna go to the OP here it is.

Before I get to the actual tweaks, I want to state that these are not some magical tweaks that will suddenly turn your squad into world beaters. They are simply slight adjustments based on personal observations from my own career game, experience, and common sense. Keep in mind, to get the absolute most out of your players, takes more than just tactics, but I’m not going to go into any more detail about that. There are already plenty of threads around these forums covering other aspects (such as team talks) of football management.

Passing tweaks:

***Explanation*** The passing tweaks are to promote more team-play. To get more players involved in overall build up of attacks, to take advantage of opportunities of through passes, and to encourage players to perform more intelligent actions. For example, making a quick through pass to a teammate in a better position, rather than taking a pointless long shot, or trying to attempt a difficult dribble.

A lesser secondary benefit of this tweak is to help with passing on muddy pitches.

Creative Freedom tweaks:

***Explanation*** The creative freedom tweaks are to compliment the passing tweaks, to promote more team-play. They are also to give slightly more freedom to players, to take advantage of their mental stats. This particular tweak will obviously suit better players a bit more than average players, due to the fact that better players have better mental stats on the average. This tweak also helps the back line to move the ball around. At times they can seem indecisive with the ball, which can lead to bad passes or holding onto the ball too long, only to get it taken away by an opponent.

Tackling tweaks:

***Explanation*** I simply noticed that my MCs were getting booked too often, even though they are top class players with good tackling and anticipation stats. Due to them being good players, I decided to let them choose what type of tackle to perform, hence the tweak.

Through Balls tweaks:

***Explanation*** This is an optional tweak. I made it simply because my left FB is not a good or even decent passer, so I’ve decided to limit him in this area. Just as in any other tactic, I try to limit my team’s weaknesses as much as possible, hence this tweak. However, if your left FB is a good passer, then ignore this tweak.

***Explanation*** The reworking of the defensive corner routine has more to do with the FM engine than anything else. The previous routine had too many players set on simply “stay back” instructions, which is actually flawed in how it works. The players end up doing almost next to nothing in terms of actual defense. It’s much better to give players more specific instructions, such as “man mark” or “mark tall/small player”.

The way I set up the corner routine also reflects my players’ abilities. I would recommend keeping the same type of instructions, but simply switching them between players, depending on their abilities. For example, if a player is good at marking, concentration, anticipation, positioning, then he should be assigned one of the man marking roles. Usually the center backs are assigned to mark tall players because they’re good at jumping and are usually strong. The strikers can remain they way they are already, no change is necessary there.

***Explanation*** I swapped the instructions because I usually tend to play a more aggressive and braver CB in the right CB position, and he usually does better on attacking corners due to this, hence he is set to attack far post.

Here is the tactic

http://www.filefront.com/17166223/AVD-MOD---Mr-Hough-4-1-2-3-Unbeaten-Final-Version.-Crdoba-Oct-2018.tac/

Enjoy guys and thanks DIrtyACE for taking the time to make these tweaks and explain them in such detail.

Hi mr hough. Have you taken a look at my modified version of your 4-1-2-3 tactic a few posts up? I hope you don't mind. I just couldn't wait for your new tactic to come out so i thought i'd try and turn it into a 4-2-4 tactic myself. I would be interested to see what you think of it. Thanks

An update on my Winger tactic. Offensivly it's incredible really really something special and is proberly the most lethal tactic i have made infront of goal, i have scored 102 goals in 34 games with tottenham and that is just in the premier league that goal tally does not include the league or F.A cup competions and i have made no offensive signings only a few defensive loanee's.

My 3 strikers Pavlechenko Defoe and Crouch have scored a massive 84 goals between them, simple incredible.

I am working on the defence and it is leaky but not massivly i think i can sort them problems out as i am making advances all the time.

An update on my Winger tactic. Offensivly it's incredible really really something special and is proberly the most lethal tactic i have made infront of goal, i have scored 102 goals in 34 games with tottenham and that is just in the premier league that goal tally does not include the league or F.A cup competions and i have made no offensive signings only a few defensive loanee's.

My 3 strikers Pavlechenko Defoe and Crouch have scored a massive 84 goals between them, simple incredible.

I am working on the defence and it is leaky but not massivly i think i can sort them problems out as i am making advances all the time.

what is the winger tactic based on,4-4-2??????

the tactic is a 4-2-2-2 so it's a flat back 4, 2 central midfielders 2 wingers 1 left 1 right and 2 strikers

I'm playing a game against burnley and i'm winning 9-0 after 64 minutes the attack is proberly the best i have made.

I know where the defence problems are and thats fitness because if i do concede it's between the 75th and 90th minute and to be fair i don't concede that much i will socre 3-4 and concede 1 so it's not a massive issue really i don't think.

the tactic is a 4-2-2-2 so it's a flat back 4, 2 central midfielders 2 wingers 1 left 1 right and 2 strikers

I'm playing a game against burnley and i'm winning 9-0 after 64 minutes the attack is proberly the best i have made.

I know where the defence problems are and thats fitness because if i do concede it's between the 75th and 90th minute and to be fair i don't concede that much i will socre 3-4 and concede 1 so it's not a massive issue really i don't think.

Do you have any idea when you'll bring the tactic out? also will you be starting a new thread as well? I can't wait to try this out!!!!!!!!!

Mr Hough

You should look into releasing a defensive tactic to use between those 75th and 90th minutes you were talking about, that way people can use your 4-2-2-2 tactic, and have something else to put on nearer the end of a match.

Steve

Do you have any idea when you'll bring the tactic out? also will you be starting a new thread as well? I can't wait to try this out!!!!!!!!!

me neither got a new man utd save,bringing in players to revolve round this tactic,just need the tactic now before i start my friendlies

Mr Hough

You should look into releasing a defensive tactic to use between those 75th and 90th minutes you were talking about, that way people can use your 4-2-2-2 tactic, and have something else to put on nearer the end of a match.

Steve

Ahhhhhhh, What an excellent idea i never even thought of that at all.

sounds good m8,what team you testing it with?and the big question when is a release date??

Jesus that sounds like its going to be the daddy of all tactics ever lol

Passing tweaks:

Creative Freedom tweaks:

Tackling tweaks:

Through Balls tweaks:

Here is the tactic

hello mr h...is it only right fb that you tweak their passing...and what attribute did u consider good passer...

hello mr h...is it only right fb that you tweak their passing...and what attribute did u consider good passer...

These aren't my tweaks they are a guy called DirtyACE's so it would be best to ask him, He has already give a brilliant explanation on the tweaks though.

Winger tactic looks promising Mr Hough, will you be releasing a beta that we can then test to fix up the defence? And thanks for uploading a file with DirtyACE's tweaks.

really want to test it on my man utd save,got my squad ready and ready to kick off my first friendly,with this tactic

Thanks for doing this mate. Glad I could contribute something and hopefully help some players with their games.

Yes, only the right FB has tweaked passing, because in my game, he is a good passer. If he wasn't, then I wouldn't have made that tweak.

I would say if his passing is at least 14 or above, then the tweak should remain, otherwise, I'd recommend taking his passing back down to short.

Mr Hough

Did you finish your season with Tottenham? If so, will you be posting some pictures of your success?

Steve

After i finished the season i went to post some screen shots but my game crashed luckily though i saved after the burnley game so i only have 2 games of the league left i'm testing with sundeerland at the minute just going through preseason.