JoseRR's FM08 Small Club to Big Club From a Big European Nation Challenge

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Right, I'm ready to start this.

Seeing as most of you are playing in Italy I'll play there plus having people to compare your game with obviously makes it likely you'll enjoy your game more.

Without me having to trundle through and read the whole thread thus far, is there any recommedations anyone can make in terms of teams to be, players, staff, or just any advice for playing in the Italian lower leagues in general?

I've played a couple of seasons in San Marino in the past but that was a bit different to managing the general Italian team.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Haha Domegliara has a Tiny Stadium...that is my main advice, second would be get a parent club if you can. Pretty much just the same as other lower league stuff, oh and the Serie C Cup is good Pre-season, but it is winnable too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Parent clubs are vital from what I've seen so far. rlipscombe recommended not being a team with a tiny stadium as it drains the clubs finances! But Des did just fine (I think).

If you can get a striker called Luca Cammilluzzi he seems to be very good at this level.

On a separate note after reading a couple of articles on the real life Turkey manager Fatih Terim I've decided to forge a similar rep based on aggressive attacking football. Gung-ho to the FMer! At least to some extent icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Des Tiny:

Yeah that is my current problem I play more in the third kit than my away kit I was thinking about just changing the numbers in the config so that my third becomes my away kit, though I spose I could request someone to make it hmmm

it's up to you i guess. might be able to find someone to make it at FMG Live or sortitoutsi. could do the swap as a temporary measure. if you need config amending i can do that for you i think

aaberdeenn - my main advice would definately to try and get a parent club. they can be a big help. first season, and the second to an extent, i relied a lot on loan signings. i like to have my own players, but the loans were necessary.

as for ground, try and get a decent sized one. the average crowds in C2 in my game were up to 2,000, so i'd say that should really be the minimum. finances can really suffer without the gate receipts.

a good striker would also be a help. in that league, it can be the difference between a good team and an average one. as defenders aren't generally too good, attack is the best form of defence in some ways.

that's all i can think of for now. sure you'll get the hang of it. icon14.gif

Okay, cheers. I'm just holidaying now.

The initial screenshots? Would I be right in thinking that I just need my profile and the team information screen?

Yes. as with other challenges, the more the merrier though icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

all this talk today... i can't wait to get home for a bit of FM gaming!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Gutted to be at work. I finished work over 12 hours ago friday afternoon, and now enjoying my erarly saturday monring icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by iacovone:

I'm looking forward to some updates rlipscombe and aaberdeenn. Des take a well earned rest its gotta be late now in NZ(?)?

Ummm 4:17am, but I have 3 games left in the season, so for better or worse I am sticking til the end of the season haha.

Des Tiny's AS Casale 08/09 End of Season Update

Well it was a fight all the way, a couple of good runs near the end made it come down to needing a draw in the second to last game to guarantee avoiding Relegation, it was acheived with the two final games both being high scoring wins. As for the Serie C Cup, well a great run in that is all that saved my finances, I made it to the Semi Final where I lost to Verona, but I was delighted to make it that far, and it showed me that I cna beat the higher teams...Just need to perform better week in and week out.

Final Table

Finances

Squad

Transfers

If you want more screenshots ask away I will come up with them, players in particular icon_smile.gif

Wow I go off to work, and come pack and find a large number of posts to read on this topic!

Anyways my Brindisi pre-season felt pretty good, in terms of building a team. I raided free transfer market and offered contracts to anyone my assistant manager rated as decent or better. I must have lost count at one point as to how many contracts I offered, as I filled the team and have a reasonable amount of backup. I am only just about over budget too.

I got Roma as a parent club and they have sent me a couple of good players.

What I did find unusual for a lower league was that i am allowed to scout the entire region and not just Italy, as I was expecting.

I finished 3rd in my group for the Serie C cup, and its just turned October and am currently 7th in the league. Just hope this form can continue for a bit.

Well I feel I may be in even more trouble, first i got an increase in my wage budget for saying i would finish top half, then i signed a new contract. my wage budget slashed from 17k to 8k...and I had gone and hired new players...I am going to be about 6-7k over budget...not hopeful I can even cut that back...But I am logging back in now to see icon_smile.gif

Well I feel I may be in even more trouble, first i got an increase in my wage budget for saying i would finish top half, then i signed a new contract. my wage budget slashed from 17k to 8k...and I had gone and hired new players...I am going to be about 6-7k over budget...not hopeful I can even cut that back...But I am logging back in now to see icon_smile.gif

that's the same problem i had Des. was a real bugger for a year....

Good luck rlipscombe - you should be able to do that!

hopefully. first time i've had any real expectations though. have to say i'm quite excited for the new season. got some good players in - screenshots in the morning maybe.

Casale Preseason Update 09/10 - Serie C2/A

Friendlies

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

vs Derthona 2-1 HT: 0-1 Att: 476 MoM: Papa

Traini (56) Rota (75)

vs Vicenzia 2-2 HT: 1-1 Att: 583

Savi (17) Rota (58)

at Bayreuth 4-1 Ht: 2-1 MoM: Scappini

Scappini (34,56) Rota (44) Cavagna (77)

at Bremerhaven 4-1 HT: 2-1 MoM: Savi

Rota (11) Mattioli (25) Savi (48,56)

at Darmsadt 0-2 HT: 0-2

at Neunkirchen 1-1 HT: 1-0

Scappini (7)

vs Alessandria 4-2 HT: 2-0 Att: 526

Rota (30) Papa (43) Rincon (pen73) Scappini (86)

</pre>

Well I was very happy with those results as a warm up for the season and having dumped all my players I was left with an entire squad of 19 and I was under my budget by about 800. So I was going to try and make top half finish with the squad I threw together and no parent club, making loans hard to come by as well.

Urgh got a horrendous day ahead tomorrow. No FM or anything til Sunday I reckon (depends if I go out tomorrow night or not)

On the plus side the 'Fatih Terim' approach is working wonders. We just smashed San Marino in the league 5-0 away! We were 5-0 at half time icon_eek.gif

Urgh got a horrendous day ahead tomorrow. No FM or anything til Sunday I reckon (depends if I go out tomorrow night or not)

On the plus side the 'Fatih Terim' approach is working wonders. We just smashed San Marino in the league 5-0 away! We were 5-0 at half time icon_eek.gif

Dude thats not cool, well I have stopped using my away tactic, just slightly more defensive and sticking to home tactic always and have found myself this season sitting 1 point off top spot 7 games into the season, so thats nearly a quarter done and in striking distance, compared to struggling last year.

Slightly ahead of schedule I now have my team but you won't find out who it is until tonight.

The selection process went like this; the eight possible teams went into a hat and one was picked out at random and thus becoming my team. All is fair.

Good luck to me.

Slightly ahead of schedule I now have my team but you won't find out who it is until tonight.

The selection process went like this; the eight possible teams went into a hat and one was picked out at random and thus becoming my team. All is fair.

Good luck to me.

Um there are always 9 possible teams...

I'm 99% certain there are eight. I went through EVERY single team across the three divisions twice and got eight teams with no league history in any of the divisions.

Two in C2/A.

Three in C2/B.

Three in C2/C.

After you've said this I even holidayed again just to make sure and I got the same again.

End of Season Update SV Eintracht Trier 05 Part 2

End of Season Update 08/09 SV Eintracht Trier 05

Good Season all in all nice posistion in the league which we can build on next year with a few additions.

I had a great time in front of goal.

table

Top scorer

this fella was an absolute legend for me this year

Fan Player of the Season

Fans choice bit of a strange one good solid player but did nothing huge.

My Player of the Season

What can I say about this lad, he was awesome this year simply brilliant due to age he wont have many more seasons with us.

Transfer

As you can see we had a season of chopping and changing a little

I'm 99% certain there are eight. I went through EVERY single team across the three divisions twice and got eight teams with no league history in any of the divisions.

Two in C2/A.

Three in C2/B.

Three in C2/C.

After you've said this I even holidayed again just to make sure and I got the same again.

See now I am confused cause I have holidayed 9 times and got 9 teams everytime, because each division relegates 3 teams...so I dunno...maybe one div hhas 4 cme up sometimes...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Two in C2/A.

Three in C2/B.

Three in C2/C.

See now I am confused cause I have holidayed 9 times and got 9 teams everytime, because each division relegates 3 teams...so I dunno...maybe one div hhas 4 cme up sometimes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if I'm wrong but are there not relegation playoffs?

Well I have finished the 2009/10 season and I managed to get under the wage budget and I nearly got promoted, I lost in the playoffs. Who knows how I got there with only 20 players on my roster, but did. Struggled through, full report will be here later.

Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Des Tiny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Two in C2/A.

Three in C2/B.

Three in C2/C.

See now I am confused cause I have holidayed 9 times and got 9 teams everytime, because each division relegates 3 teams...so I dunno...maybe one div has 4 come up sometimes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if I'm wrong but are there not relegation playoffs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but not in the sense you are thinking of. The relegation playoffs in Italy are like the reverse of promotion playoffs. That is in Serie C2/A, 18th is auto relegated, then 17th has a home & away match against 14th, and 15th vs 16th, the two losers of these matches are relegated giving 3 relegated teams from each division for 9 spaces to be filled total.

And I checked and yes sometimes one division has 2 and another has 4, or in one bizzare case one of the divisions had 5 of the new teams were in one place. This is because it is sorted by regions. But I have checked and it is definitely 9 teams...lol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Des Tiny:

Two in C2/A.

Three in C2/B.

Three in C2/C.

See now I am confused cause I have holidayed 9 times and got 9 teams everytime, because each division relegates 3 teams...so I dunno...maybe one div has 4 come up sometimes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if I'm wrong but are there not relegation playoffs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but not in the sense you are thinking of. The relegation playoffs in Italy are like the reverse of promotion playoffs. That is in Serie C2/A, 18th is auto relegated, then 17th has a home & away match against 14th, and 15th vs 16th, the two losers of these matches are relegated giving 3 relegated teams from each division for 9 spaces to be filled total.

And I checked and yes sometimes one division has 2 and another has 4, or in one bizzare case one of the divisions had 5 of the new teams were in one place. This is because it is sorted by regions. But I have checked and it is definitely 9 teams...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I was partly correct.

As promised, a few of the new faces for the 'Lariani'

Dinis - a young DM, rated by my coach as a 'good serie a signing.' icon_eek.gif potential to be a massive player.

Ebele - another DM, rated as a decent serie a signing. upset the fans by saying Como are a stepping stone. can he turn them around??

Hioune - a young french AMC, rated as a good serie b signing. can he fill the void left by Novinic?

Kropfl - a young Austrian striker, has already played for his club. can he score 20 golas?? rated as a leading star for serie b clubs.

N'sakala - a young AML. again, rated as a leading serie b winger. i have high hopes for the boy.

Sararer - another young spaniard joining the club, this young ST could be a star.

Tafi - a promising young CM. looks creative, again high hopes

all of the above were signed on frees, when we were still a serie b club. it's pushed the wage budget, but it'll be worth it.....

Two in C2/A.

Three in C2/B.

Three in C2/C.

Newly promoted teams might still have league history for having been in the league before. It's the 07/08 season you need to look at.

One of my newly promoted teams had been relegated in 06/07, then bounced right back up this year.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

As promised, a few of the new faces for the 'Lariani'

Dinis - a young DM, rated by my coach as a 'good serie a signing.' icon_eek.gif potential to be a massive player.

Ebele - another DM, rated as a decent serie a signing. upset the fans by saying Como are a stepping stone. can he turn them around??

Hioune - a young french AMC, rated as a good serie b signing. can he fill the void left by Novinic?

Kropfl - a young Austrian striker, has already played for his club. can he score 20 golas?? rated as a leading star for serie b clubs.

N'sakala - a young AML. again, rated as a leading serie b winger. i have high hopes for the boy.

Sararer - another young spaniard joining the club, this young ST could be a star.

Tafi - a promising young CM. looks creative, again high hopes

all of the above were signed on frees, when we were still a serie b club. it's pushed the wage budget, but it'll be worth it.....

My thoughts:

Dinis - Not sure he's quite a good Serie A signing but looks very useful at the level you're at icon14.gif

Ebele - If you're just a stepping stone, get rid I say!

Hioune - Decent. Not sure who Novinic was so can't compare!

Kropfl - I think you mean he's already played for his country icon_wink.gif Looks good, that pace will be devastating!

N'Sakala - Technically gifted. Should do very well for you icon14.gif

Sararer - The least Spanish name ever! Could be effective with his pace

Tafi - Use him as the playmaker I reckon, potential for assists is huge!

I can't wait until I'm signing exciting players like that icon_frown.gif

Well after 10 hours and no goal my hopes had faded for Filippo Maniero. But no sooner had I written him off to see him pop up in the 94th minute to salvage a point at home to Teramo icon_biggrin.gif

Our form has been patchy at home. I've not yet found the right tactic. Away from home we're a threat though, regularly picking up points at this early stage in the season. If only I had a reliable 2nd CB to partner the Lazio loanee Tuia.

Des Tiny's Casale 2009/10 End of Season Update

Well as I had already posted here I had a problem with extending my contract straight after I had picked my expectations it resulted in my wage budget being set back to my original one from the previous season, I now had signed a few players and had to now think about their costs to me. Any player who was not a first choice was sold, the rest I tried to make their contracts cheaper if I could, then I went hunting for loans, I ended up signing several loans in an attempt to back up my team. And some how it worked. My team went from relegation contenders with a squad of 30, to promotion contenders with a squad of 20. I had my game day squad of 18, plus 2 extras. Thats how tight money was under my wage budget. The season went pretty well, I started out with 4 straight wins before a cup loss, though my league streak extended to 5 games before I lost. And then with more unbeaten streaks I managed to hold on through all injuries and come out the other side in 4th place and facing Massese in the playoffs semifinal.

vs Massese 2-2 HT: 2-2 Att: 4888

Rota (7) Fattori (39)

at Massese (4) 2-3 (5) HT: 1-2

Iacopino (43) Fattori (65)

</pre>

So that was the end of promotion hopes for another season. My cup run ended in the 2nd round with a thrashing at the hands of Taranto. So another season over, this time with much better results and an almost guaranteed increase in wage budget after a great improvement in my teams performance, and my board is delighted with me. I also have a surprise new signing, a blast from my past and looking pretty good, remember Diagne?, he was one of my star DM's over in Domegliara, it will be interesting to see what he can stir up here with the rest of the huge number of increased signings so far for this season.

Screenshots

Final Table

Transfers

Team of the Year

Player of the Year

Player Stats

Scappini - Loan Striker and top goalscorer

Rota - Center Back and star header

Iacopino - Left wing and Striker, getting on a bit

Cavagna - Stellar Midfielder held the team together

Des Tiny - What a fateful name...?

Right now its on to 2010/11 with my newly signed players and my contract extension and I have promised them Promotion, so here goes nothing. I am sure they will be happy with the playoffs so lets just see what happens icon_smile.gif

Good luck to everyone else as they continue the mission as well.

Oh God so now we have someone else living on at that stadium with the beautiful sea views, I think we should get together all the rest of us from up north and go teach them a lesson in football.

Good Luck with Como aaberdeenn, you should have fun icon_smile.gif

Participants

Player Team Season League Achievements

</pre><hr class="ev_code_hr" /><pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Rlipscombe Como 11/12 Serie C1 08/09 Promoted Via Playoffs

09/10 Promoted Via Playoffs

10/11 Relegated

Des Tiny AS Casale 10/11 Serie C2/A

aaberdeenn Como 08/09 Serie C2/A

Gilbster Brindisi 08/09 Serie C2/C

Mark Snellink Nocerina 08/09 Serie C2/C