[FM10] Howay the Bay - From Whitley to Wembley

ism-scfc

September 2010:

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Norton & Stockton Ancients (Ryan)

Another disappointing result, to a quite poor Norton side at home

League: Penrith 5-2 Whitley Bay (McDonald, McCrudden)

I've never conceded 5 in a league game before, so to do it at rock bottom Penrith was quite embarrassing, as we start to slip down the table

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round: Erith Town 0-0 Whitley Bay

We were under pressure at times in Kent, but held out for a Hillheads replay

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round replay Whitley Bay 1-2 Erith Town (Ryan)

September goes from bad to worse as we're dumped out of the FA Cup at home by a struggling level 10 side, having led the game!

FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round Whitley Bay 3-0 Stotfold (McCrudden (2, 1 pen), Dunning (pen))

Stotfold are a much better side than Erith, but a generous referee who gave us two soft penalties in the first 20 minutes saw them off

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Chester-le-Street Town (MacDonald)

A goal from Scott MacDonald wasn't quite enough to win the game, as CLS get themselves a 94th minute penalty to equalise. Enfuriating!

League: Bishop Auckland 1-0 Whitley Bay

A vey similar game to our April defeat at Brewery Field, one soft goal and a totally inept performance

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Ashington AFC (Cook, Lucketti)

Well, we've finally won a league game, but it was still a shaky performance against very poor opponents, and it's not looking too good for the future. We're 6th in the league, but still have more chance of going down than up if we continue to play like this

Player of the Month: I'm tempted to say no-one, as they were all useless, but the best of a bad bunch was probably new signing from Bedlington Terriers Richard Flynn, who has slotted into that back four with ease

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whitley%2520Bay%2520FC.jpg

Whitley Bay is the main town of the district of North Tyneside, the area north of the City of Newcastle in North East England. The football club play at Hillheads Park, just out of the town centre, and play in the skillstrainingltd Northern League Divison 1, at level 9 of the Pyramid. They were FA Carlsberg Vase Champions in both 2002, when they beat Tiptree United at Villa Park, and 2009, when they beat Glossop North End at Wembley.

Club Information:

Club Name: Whitley Bay FC

Stadium: Hillheads Park, Whitley Bay

Capacity: 4500 (450 Seated)

Ticket Price: £4

Media Prediction: 1st

Signings:

Liam Cattermole from Bridlington (free)

Shaun Saiko from Middlesbrough (loan)

Jimmy Walker from Staveley MW (free)

Matty Tymon from Hartlepool (loan)

Patrick McLoughlin from Newcastle (loan)

Matt Phelan from Worthing (free)

Nick Potter from Rossendale (loan)

Michael Kay from Sunderland (loan)

Rikki Bains from Darlington (loan)

Shane Ferguson from Newcastle (loan)

The Squad:

1. Tom Kindley

2. Kevin Walton

3. Liam Cattermole

4. Shaun Saiko

5. Darren Timmons

6. David Coulson ©

7. Craig McFarlane

8. Patrick McLoughlin

9. Matty Tymon

10. Phil Bell

11. Richard Hodgson

12. Jimmy Walker

14. Lee Kerr

16. Leon Ryan

17. Matt Phelan

18. Nick Potter

19. Rikki Bains

20. Michael Kay

22. Gavin Wilson

23. Shane Ferguson

Competitions:

Northern League Division 1 (Level 9)

FA Cup

FA Vase

Northern League Brooks Mileson Cup

Northumberland Senior Cup

Players Out:

Dean Douglas (released from Amateur contract – has since joined Glapwell)

Damon Robson – Free to Andover

David Mawson - £1 to Cray

With a screenshot you should put David Mawson's transfer to Cray in the records forum.

With a screenshot you should put David Mawson's transfer to Cray in the records forum.

lol, yeah, they offered nothing, but I thought I might as well get something out of them, and they came back offering a quid! At least its a transfer fee!:D

League Table as of Weds 20th Oct 2010

1. Spennymoor Town 27

----------------------

2. Thackley 22

---------------------

3. North Shields 20

4. Billingham Synthonia 20

5. Norton & Stockton Ancients 20

6. Whitley Bay 19

7. West Auckland Town 19

8. West Allotment Celtic 18

9. South Shields 17

10. Shildon 17

11. Esh Winning 17

12. Newcastle Benfield 15

13. Seaham Red Star 15

14. Penrith 15

15. Billingham Town 14

16. Consett 13

17. Ryton 12

18. Ashington AFC 12

19. Morpeth Town 12

20. Bishop Auckland 11

---------------------

21. Chester-le-Street Town 10

22. Dunston UTS 10

Spennymoor are stupidly rich on mine. They have bought players worth 350K pounds this season alone.. maybe Super Bladesman thought they sounded like Spend More or Penny More and decided to give their balances a bit of a kick into the millions.

Spennymoor are stupidly rich on mine. They have bought players worth 350K pounds this season alone.. maybe Super Bladesman thought they sounded like Spend More or Penny More and decided to give their balances a bit of a kick into the millions.

yep, Spennymoor are fully pro, and in Level 9

No surprise they're top when they're splashing out £350K for players at that level really is it?

I've seen a post by SuperBladesman regarding this and apparently they have a "Sugar Daddy"

ism-scfc - any news on some updates :)

Sorry, I'm going to upset you here, but due to the release of 10.3, I'm taking a short break from this save to concentrate on a County save with the new update

Please don't think this has died, because it hasn't and will restart within the next few weeks I would imagine

• 5 weeks later...

October 2010:

FA Vase 1st Round: Woodley Town 1-1 Whitley Bay (Ryan)

Wasn't happy with the Woodley penalty in this game, but we got back in it through Leon Ryan, so no real complaints, as we should do them at Hillheads. However, I said that with Erith.

FA Vase 1st Round Replay: Whitley Bay 2-0 Woodley Town (Shekoni, Flynn)

Our pair of new signings did the trick nicely here as goals from striker Afolabi Shekoni, and defender Richard Flynn, recently signed from Ryton and Bedlington Terriers respectively, earned us a home tie against Bradford Town in the 3rd Round

League: Shildon 0-3 Whitley Bay (McCrudden, Cook, Dunning)

We came off the Vase high in style here, as we overpowered Shildon to move back into the top four. The ever-impressive Darren Dunning shone, and deserved his stoppage time goal

League Whitley Bay 2-1 Billingham Synthonia (Cook, Ryan)

That was sweet. A 91st minute strike from Leon Ryan earned us a last gasp 3 points against our main rivals for that play off spot, which is now our only realistic aim, as Spennymoor are running riot and looking unbeatable. Not really surprising considering their tendency to splash the cash.

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Esh Winning (Cook)

A very flat performance, but Jordan Cook's goal should really have earned us all the points. Slack defending threw two of them away with 15 minutes to go.

League: Thackley 2-1 Whitley Bay (McCrudden)

We were beaten by a better side here, but had we taken our chances we'd probably have won. Unfortunately, McCrudden's goal came when it was already too late

League: Whitley Bay 5-2 Seaham Red Star (Dunning, Ryan (2), OG, McDonald)

I feared the worst when we were 2-0 down at half time, but my 2 half time changes seemed to make a real difference, as we showed Seaham our class in the second half, scoring five goals. Outstanding second half shows from Leon Ryan and Darren Dunning.

League: Consett 0-1 Whitley Bay (Shekoni)

I was about to settle for a point against lowly Consett, but decided to throw on a target man for the last ten minutes, and it was substitute Afolabi Shekoni who popped up with the winner in the 87th minute.

Player of the Month: I want to say me, as my tactical changes won 5 of the 13 points we won in October, but I'll give it to Darren Dunning, whose performances are starting to attract attention. Not too much I hope, as I really don't want to lose him.

League:West Allotment Celtic 2-0 Whitley Bay

A shocking error from normally reliable keeper Tom Kindley let Ollie Duckworth in for an early Celtic lead, and the same man doubled the lead late on for the high flying Celtic.

League:Whitley Bay 1-1 South Shields (McCrudden)

Michael McCrudden gave Bay the lead at Hillheads, but Luke Williams headed an equaliser in the second half to take a deserved point back over the Tyne to Filtrona Park.

FA Vase 2nd Round: Whitley Bay 2-0 Bradford Town (Ryan (2))

Level 10 side Bradford gave us a surprise by having the edge in the early exchanges, but top scorer Leon Ryan saw us through with two goals typical of Whitley's Number Nine. We face a tough task in the 3rd Round though, against Coalville Town, who top their level 9 league, and reached the quarter finals last year. They certainly won't roll over

League:Newcastle Benfield 1-4 Whitley Bay (OG, Cook (3)

Bay took the momentum with an early own goal from Benfield's centre half, and striker Jordan Cook took his chance to start alongside Leon Ryan, as he smashed a stunning hattrick to give Whitley a 4-0 half time lead. Benfield did get one back after the break, but it was still a brilliant confidence boosting away win

League:West Auckland 0-2 Whitley Bay (Ryan (2))

Struggling West Auckland frustrated us for most of the game, but Leon Ryan, who has so far saved most of his goals for the FA Vase, struck two in the last 10 minutes to take the points back to Hillheads

Brooks Mileson Cup 2nd RoundChester-le-Street Town 1-1 Whitley Bay (Ryan) Whitley Bay win 4-2 on penalties

Another error from the out of form Kindley gifted the home side an opener, but Bay equalised through a Leon Ryan tap in on the stroke of half time. No goals in either the second half or extra time, so penalties it was, and Jordan Cook hit home the winning penalty to set up a tough home tie against West Allotment

League: Spennymoor Town 2-1 Whitley Bay (Cook)

It's no real surprise that 'Spendingmoor' are top of the league, having spent a total of £500K on players this season, compared to Whitley's £0, but it was Passion, not money that took the lead when Jordan Cook converted a one on one after just three minutes. However, Spennymoor's big name signings eventually shone through, as Michael Tait and Ryan Charles both scored from free kicks taken by £180K signing from Shrewsbury Jason Mycoe.

League: Billingham Town 0-3 Whitley Bay (Ryan (3))

With all eyes on the Coalville game on Saturday, this midweek game in outer Smoggietown didn't really attract much interest from many in Bay shirts. It attracted plenty of interest, however, from Leon Ryan, who capitalised on some amusing defending to notch a match winning first half hattrick.

Player of the Month: With 8 goals in November, there was only really one candidate for this, so congratulations to Leon Ryan for keeping Bay in both the Vase, and the Northern League promotion race

League Table as of Weds 1st Dec 2010:

1. Spennymoor Town 45

--------------------------------------------

2. West Allotment Celtic 38

------------------------------------------

3. Whitley Bay 35

4. Newcastle Benfield 35

5. North Shields 34

6. Billingham Synthonia 33

7. Thackley 29

8. South Shields 27

9. Consett 26

10. Shildon 26

11. Chester-le-Street Town 26

12. Penrith 26

13. Norton & Stockton Ancients 26

14. Esh Winning 24

15. West Auckland Town 23

16. Billingham Town 23

17. Ashington AFC 21

18. Seaham Red Star 21

19. Ryton 19

20. Dunston UTS 19

----------------------------------

21. Bishop Auckland 18

22. Morpeth Town 16

December 2010:

FA Vase 3rd Round: Whitley Bay 0-4 Coalville Town

Oh dear! Dumped out of the Vase way, way earlier than we anticipated, and we were absolutely thrashed at home. We started brightly, and were by far the better team, up to the point at which keeper Tom Kindley fumbled an easy catch into the back of his own net, which was the equivalent of us pressing the self destruct button. The momentum switched direction, all the confidence evaporated, and we allowed an excellent Coalville side to put three more past us in the second half, to book their place in the next round. Credit to them, they were the better side, but that one moment was definately a match changer. Just can't bring myself to drop Kindley, however many errors he makes, as when on form, he's the best keeper in the league by a distance. Lets just hope he regains that form asap.

Brooks Mileson Cup 3rd Round Whitley Bay 2-1 West Allotment Celtic (Cattermole, Phelan)

After the down of the Vase exit, this was most definately an up. Goals from left back Liam Cattermole are a rarity, but he found himself one on one with Celtic keeper Booker after just five minutes, and he cooly dispatched it past the keeper for 1-0. Kindley managed to move his confidence meter up from zero, rock bottom, with a string of saves, but he was helpless to prevent veteran winger Graham Branch finding the net for the equaliser. It looked like it was going to extra time until left winger Matt Phelan, who has spent most of the season out injured, popped up to lash the ball past Booker for the stoppage time winner. Bay will play at home to Bradford based side Eccleshill in the quarter final. I'm relieved to avoid Spendingmoor who are just bulldozing every team they play at the moment.

League:Ryton 1-0 Whitley Bay

Ryton are one of those teams that are very difficult to beat at home, and it proved so again as we went down 1-0 with yet another totally inept performance. This season is now a complete write off, one for the cups, as we now have next to no chance of getting in the play offs. We have a very difficult draw in the Senior Cup against Newcastle, so winning the Brooks Mileson cup could be our only chance of something to celebrate.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Morpeth Town (McCrudden, MacDonald)

Back to winning ways at home against the league's bottom club, but we did it the hard way. Morpeth dominated the opening exchanges before Michael McCrudden gave Whitley the edge by tapping in a stunning drilled cross from Liam Cattermole that had evaded everyone, including the goalkeeper, finding McCrudden almost on the goal line. The game was finished off when Scott MacDonald ran on to a Leon Ryan flick on to fire past the keeper.

League: Whitley Bay 1-2 Penrith (Flynn)

I'll say it now. Penrith are the dirtiest team I've ever come across on FM and are a total disgrace. This game has totally finished our season, not only in that it saw us lose a lead to a very technically poor side, but we lost FIVE players to serious injuries. Michael Kay (torn hamstring), Leon Ryan (medial ligaments), David Hughes (broken leg), Chris Lucketti (lateral ligaments) and Michael McCrudden (cruciate ligaments) were all stretchered off during the game, four of them to shocking red card worthy challenges. Yet how many red cards did the aptly named referee John Cant (yes, that was his actual name :D) produce. That's right - none. What's your surname ref? Yes, that's exactly what I was calling you as you ran off the field.

League: Whitley Bay 0-0 Dunston UTS

Yes, last season's high flyers are struggling near the bottom, but I was still delighted that a mixture of our reserves and youth team didn't manage to lose this one. There was a few first teamers that escaped the Hillheads pitch in the last game without being assaulted by a Penrith player, but it was a long long way from a side capable of competing at this level. Tom Kindley, whose guts were wanted by Whitley fans at the beginning of the month, was now one of very few recognisable faces on the field. If the fans want to watch the reserves for the next few months, they can visit Hillheads. If they want to see the first team, they better visit the local hospital as thats where most are currently situated.

Player of the Month: A difficult one without visiting the infirmiary, but Liam Cattermole was a shining star whilst all around him were either looking half arsed or being stretchered off. That said, winning this month's award doesn't really say a lot about your ability.

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 North Shields (MacDonald)

Probably the dullest local derby you will ever see, but Bay triumphed over the Robins thanks to Scott MacDonald's goal 5 minutes from time.

League:Norton and Stockton Ancients 0-0 Whitley Bay

If you thought the last one was dull, wait until you see this one. I'm not writing anything else, as simply nothing worthy of comment happened

League: Chester-le-Street Town 3-0 Whitley Bay

Not good. Torn apart by a CLS side below us in the league. We've now already lost 9 games this season, compared to 5 all season last time out.

League: Whitley Bay 2-2 Newcastle Benfield (MacDonald (2))

Another draw in a game we should have won. Scott MacDonald twice gave us the lead but we were twice pulled back by a resilient Benfield. It's even more frustrating to see that St. Neots Town, who were only better than us on penalties last May, are now 2nd in their Level 8 league and could be playing in Level 7 next season, 2 leagues above us. What might have been, eh?

Brooks Mileson Cup Quarter Final: Whitley Bay 1-0 Eccleshill United (Dunning)

The return of Nick Potter, who broke his metatarsal back in October gave Bay a lift ahead of this one, and it was Potter's free kick that set up Darren Dunning to lash home what proved to be the winner after 8 minutes. The rest of the game was very dull, but Eccleshill will have come away feeling that they deserved more from it. Thankfully, we've avoided Spendingmoor in the semi-finals, and instead have a home draw against Division 2 side Washington.

League: Ashington AFC 2-2 Whitley Bay (MacDonald, Kay)

Scott MacDonald got us off to the perfect start in Ashington, curling home Darren Dunning's splendid through ball after just 5 minutes. Bay, however, let Ashington right back in the game as striker David Colvin latched on to a very similar ball to Dunning's for Bay's goal to equalise, and then capitalised on Interim Captain Richard Flynn's schoolboy error to put the home side ahead. Full back Michael Kay saved us however, with his first goal for the club - a rocket in stoppage time.

Player of the Month: He had to wait patiently for his chance, but he's certainly making the most of it now. Scott MacDonald scored 4 goals in a very goal shy month for Bay, and is certainly the man in form

February 2010

League:Whitley Bay 1-1 Bishop Auckland (Ryan)

Leon Ryan put Bay in the lead with a gorgeous lob, his first goal since his serious injury. Bay just can't defend however at the moment, and a poorly defended corner allowed Eric Tetteh to equalise to take a point back to County Durham.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Shildon (McCrudden, Phelan)

When Shildon last won a league game back in early October, they were 3rd in the league and one of the promotion favourites. 25 games later, they visited Hillheads having not won in that time, and second bottom in the relegation zone. It initially looked as if their luck may have changed - they certainly dominated the early exchanges before Michael McCrudden put Bay ahead with a lovely bit of skill. Shildon were always in the game and were hoping for a point right up until the moment when Matt Phelan put the game beyond them in stoppage time with his first league goal of the season. Shildon heading for relegation unless they can stop the rot very quickly.

League: Billingham Synthonia 3-0 Whitley Bay

Whitley Bay knew that this trip to Teesside was crucial. A win, and there was still a possibility, however remote, of reaching the play offs. Lose to the promotion challenging Synners, who had an FA Vase quarter final against Whitley's conquerers Coalville on their minds, and their season was as good as over. It started well, both sides having chances in an equal game, with Whitley probably just edging it, before Darren Casson's thunderbolt gave the home side the lead. Bay imploded from that point with Lee Flanagan adding two more that Synners just didn't deserve to give a distinctly one sided look to the scoreline

League: Esh Winning 0-2 Whitley Bay (Phelan, McCrudden)

It was a great start for Bay at West Terrace when Matt Phelan curled home the opener after just 7 minutes, but Whitley were never sure of the points until stoppage time, with Michael McCrudden's header making them safe. It was a much needed away win for Whitley who can't afford to slide down into mid-table.

Player of the Month: It was a good month, and the main reason for this was superb form of Darren Dunning, who we will do very well to hold onto in the summer. Matt Phelan also had an excellent month, and his desire and passion would have won him this award in any other month, but DD's class just wins him through.

March 2010

Northumberland Senior Cup: Whitley Bay 0-9 Newcastle United

Well, what can I say? Two clubs who simply aren't in the same league clashed at Hillheads Park, and a Newcastle side including Fraser Forster, José Enrique, Fabricio Coloccini, Robbie Brady, Fabrice Pancrate and Shola Ameobi simply demolished us. We simply can't compete against that strength of Toon side yet.

League: Whitley Bay 0-1 Thackley

A very dull game, and a distinctly offside looking header from Mark Hutchinson completed the Yorkshire side's double over Bay

League: Seaham Red Star 0-1 Whitley Bay (Ryan)

Darren Dunning made this goal with a beautiful through ball for Matt Phelan, who picked out big Leon's head perfectly, to take 3 points back to Hillheads.

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Consett (Cook)

The Consett goal was highly dubious, with Richard Flynn down injured for a good 40 seconds before the ball found its way into the net. Bay fought back, however, as Jordan Cook earned a point when he latched on to Dunning's through ball.

Brooks Mileson Cup Semi-Final: Whitley Bay 3-3 Washington (Phelan, Cook, MacDonald (pen) Whitley Bay win 4-2 on penalties

Washington will feel very hard done by here not to have made the final of the Brooks Mileson Cup. They took the lead at Hillheads three times, but three times Bay found an equaliser, and then won through on penalties. First Matt Phelan, then Jordan Cook found equalisers to force extra time, but Liam Cattermole's own goal seemed to have handed the Durham side the win, until Michael McCrudden was felled in the area in the very last minute, and Scott MacDonald fired home to force the shootout, which Bay won 4-2. Our opponents in the final will be Whitehaven, who knocked out reigning champions Spennymoor Town in the semi. The game will be played at The Crown Ground, Accrington Stanley FC, on Friday 13th May. The date is unlucky for some, hopefully Whitehaven. Strange choice of venue, but quite handy for Whitehaven I suppose

League: South Shields 1-0 Whitley Bay

A game of very few chances was settled within 10 minutes, when the league's top scorer Michael Wilkinson fired home from 25 yards for his 18th of the season, and Bay could find no reply.

Player of the Month: Flying winger Michael McCrudden lit up March with some splendid displays on the wing, and he also won the last minute penalty in the League cup semi final, so an easy award this month.

Losing 9-0 is certainly no fun, but basically you can get as far as the semis in that competition, until you draw either Blyth or newcastle at which point you get beat.

I noticed that they put a much weaker side out against Newcastle Benfield in the semi final. Still won 4-0 though at SJP.

Spennymoor have now officially been promoted and FA Vase Final is Glapwell v Coalville. It'll be Coalville's last chance to win the Vase, as they have already been promoted. They beat us 4-0 and Billingham Synthonia 6-0 on the way to the final, but only won their semi on penalties. They are massive favourites at Wembley though.

April 2011

League:Morpeth Town 1-1 Whitley Bay (MacDonald)

Scott MacDonald gave Bay an early lead at Craik Park, but they couldn't hang on after captain David Coulson was shown a straight red card for bringing down a Morpeth striker through on goal in the 89th minute. The resulting free kick was headed home by the unfortunate Michael McCrudden for a last minute own goal.

League: Whitley Bay 4-0 West Auckland Town (McCrudden (2), MacDonald, Rayner)

Michael McCrudden made up for his own goal at Morpeth by scoring the first two goals in the 4-0 Hillheads demolition of West Auckland. Goals from Scott MacDonald and Jordan Rayner made it safe as Whitley marched on towards the Brooks Mileson Cup Final.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 West Allotment Celtic (MacDonald, Potter)

Again, Scott MacDonald gave Bay an early lead, and just after Michael Kay missed a glaring opportunity to make it 2-0, a piledriver straight into the top corner from Nick Potter did make the points safe

League: Whitley Bay 2-3 Spennymoor Town (Cook (2))

Bay gave this season ender a real good fight, but Northern League Champions Spennymoor proved just too good, particularly the raw pace of striker Ryan Charles. Jordan Cook nearly earned Bay a point, but the post denied him both an equaliser and a hat trick in stoppage time.

Player of the Month: The form of Jordan Cook, particularly in the Spennymoor game, did him a massive favour here, and ended his loan spell on a high. But can he do the business in the league cup final in Accrington?

Final League Table:

1. Spennymoor Town 94

-------------------------------------------

2. South Shields 75

-------------------------------------------

3. North Shields 70

4. Billingham Synthonia 70

5. Whitley Bay 63

6. Thackley 63

7. Ashington AFC 62

8. Newcastle Benfield 62

9. Bishop Auckland 59

10. Chester-le-Street Town 57

11. West Auckland Town 56

12. Dunston UTS 55

13. West Allotment Celtic 53

14. Consett 52

15. Seaham Red Star 51

16. Penrith 51

17. Esh Winning 51

18. Ryton 47

19. Shildon 46

20. Billingham Town 45

-------------------------------------

21. Norton and Stockton Ancients 43

22. Morpeth Town 27

Brooks Mileson Cup Final: Whitehaven 2-3 Whitley Bay (McCrudden (2), MacDonald (pen)) After Extra Time from The Crown Ground, Accrington

It looked like it would be the normal cup final disaster when central defender and captain David Roberts put Division 2 side Whitehaven ahead after just 10 minutes in mid-lancashire. Bay however, wouldn't give up, and Michael McCrudden headed an equaliser before half time. The Coppice Terrace, packed full of Bay fans, was celebrating even further when Scott MacDonald gave Whitley the lead from the penalty spot after Jordan Cook had been felled in the area, but the referee gave Whitehaven a lifeline when he handed them an 85th minute spot kick for a very soft looking foul by Liam Cattermole. Just as the game looked like it would be decided on penalties, a long ball in by Cattermole in the 122nd minute was misjudged by Whitehaven keeper Maurizio Montella, and rebounded into the back of the empty net off McCrudden's thigh. It was as if the Bay fans behind the goal had sucked the ball into the net. It was heartbreak for Whitehaven, but deserved Joy for Whitley Bay, who had been the better side throughout the match and deserved the trophy. Howay the Bay!

They've switched the leagues around again this year

We've got Bedlington Terriers back after they were relegated last yaer, and we've also got Birtley Town and Tow Law Town after they were promoted. We've also been given Whickham and Northallerton Town maning we've lost Thackley and Ashington AFC. Thackley have gone back to the correct league, the Northern Counties East, but Ashington have gone to the Kent League. That's a lot of long away trips next season. Ashington, Northumberland to Kent is a long, long way!

Season Review 2009-10

Northern League Division 1

A disappointing campaign. We weren't really that bad performance wise, but we just couldn't turn enough draws into wins, and defeats into draws to reach 2nd place. We would never have caught Spennymoor anyway. You simply don't get promoted when you lose 13 games in a 42 game season

FA Cup

I thought we were on to something here, especially when we spectacularly dumped out Hungerford away, but we managed to lose to Erith in a game we should never have lost. Very disappointing to say the least

FA Vase

I was devastated to go out so early, but you have to admit Coalville were a very good side, and deserved to win. At least we won't have to play them next year, as they've been promoted.

Northumberland Senior Cup

To go out 9-0 in the first round is obviously a shocking performance, but you have to take into account the gulf in class between the two teams, and I never expected anything more really, so not that disappointed with this

Brooks Mileson Cup

My first trophy! We had to survive 2 penalty shootouts, and nearly had to go through another one in the final, but for McCrudden's winner with the last kick of the game. It certainly seemed at times like it wouldn't happen, but eventually it did, so the Trophy cabinet has finally been opened!

Key Players

Tom Kindley - Suffered a terrible form loss in mid season, which contributed to our Vase exit, but when he picked up, he was instrumental in our league cup win.

Liam Cattermole - Another really solid season. He's been a great signing, and we're certainly a better team with him in at full back.

Michael Kay - Brought back from Sunderland for another season. He was even better this time round than before, a key figure in at right back

Richard Flynn - A great signing from Bedlington, a sale that probably was a major factor in their relegation. Has his crazy moments, but is normally a very level headed centre half.

Darren Dunning - Northern League Player of the Season. Need I say any more. His through balls are straight out of the Premier League, and set up countless of our goals this season. And he's not even a loan player!

Michael McCrudden - Pure class on the wing. Chipped in with a few goals too, including two vital ones in the League Cup Final. Unfortunately, he has now returned to Newcastle

Jordan Cook - A really powerful striker with a pretty good finish too. Our top scorer, but has now returned to Sunderland

Northern league Player of the Season

Darren Dunning - An absolutely inspirational signing. I'm so, so honoured for a Bay player to get this award two seasons in a row!

Fans' Player of the Season

Darren Dunning - Not a hard choice. Christ, he's so good that even the fans can see his class!

My Player of the Season

Darren Dunning - The fans got it right this time. I'd normally choose someone else, but no-one else is even in his league for this award, so DD gets a clean sweep of the end of season awards

Last Season's Aims:

1. Get Promoted - If we want to make it big, we can't hang around at Level 9 for too long

I would blame this on Spennymoor, but in truth, we simply weren't good enough even if they weren't there

2. Win the Vase - Losing 'our' trophy last season hurt, and at the very least I want a 4th consecutive semi

Beaten by a better side, not surprising to see Coalville get all the way to Wembley

Next Season's Aims:

1. Make the Play Offs - There are a lot of good teams in this league next season, especially with Bedlington back, so whilst it would be great to win the league, my aim is that 2nd place and another crack at the play offs

2. Reach the FA Vase Semi-Final - The Vase semi finals now seem our home, last season was just a blip, and especially with Coalville no longer here, I'm confident of returning next season

3. Retain the League Cup - With Spennymoor gone, this could our real chance of silverware again, and its always a great feeling to retain a trophy

Career so Far:

Season     League                    Position     Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009-10    Northern League D1       2nd           FA Vase Runners Up
2010-11    Northern League D1       5th           Brooks Mileson Cup Champions

Summer Dealings:

Out:

David Coulson (Released - has since joined Beaconsfield)

Afolabi Shekoni (Released)

Steve Gough (Released)

Matt Khalili (Released)

In:

Mohammed Dikuiza (Blyth)

Reuben Wiggins-Thomas (Bartley Green)

Peter Keen (Billingham Synthonia)

Paul Buzzeo (Chester-le-Street Town)

Michael Wilkinson (South Shields)

Ben Edwards (Loan from Blyth)

Squad Numbers 2011/12

1. Tom Kindley

2. Paul Buzzeo

3. Liam Cattermole ©

4. Darren Dunning (vc)

5. Chris Lucketti

6. Richard Flynn

7. Reuben Wiggins-Thomas

8. Nick Potter

9. Leon Ryan

10. Mohammed Dikuiza

11. Jordan Rayner

12. Peter Keen

14. Gavin Wilson

15. Gavin Walker

17. Matt Phelan

18. Michael Wilkinson

19. Ben Edwards

20. Scott MacDonald

July 2011

Friendly: Whitley Bay 0-1 Brighton and Hove Albion

A very good performance against a strong Brighton side. A solitary Liam Dickinson strike earned Albion the win

Friendly: Whitley Bay 3-4 Goole (Dikuiza (3))

Another excellent performance to put 3 goals past a side 2 leagues above us, and an excellent hattrick from Mohammed Dikuiza. Shame we couldn't defend it out really

Friendly: Whitley Bay 1-3 Linfield (MacDonald)

The Northern Irish Champions scored 3 before we got one, but I was still honoured to score past a very good side

Friendly: Whitley Bay 1-1 Glenn Hoddle Academy (Wilkinson)

In three friendlies against the GH Academy, we now have 1 win, 1 draw and 1 defeat, thanks to Michael Wilkinson's equaliser

Friendly: Whitley Bay 4-0 Ossett Town (Dikuiza, Wilkinson, Rayner, MacDonald)

A great win over a side in the league above. Mohammed Dikuiza and Michael Wilkinson looks like it'll be a great strike partnership

Player of the Month: New signing from Blyth Spartans, Mohammed Dikuiza. Scored 4 goals in July, including an excellent hattrick against Goole.

I'm quite confident ahead of this season, as we did really well in a very tough pre-season.

Brighton, Linfield, Wycombe and Plymouth are all good sides, as well as Goole and Ossett who are both in higher leagues than us, but we coped with them all brilliantly

August 2011:

Friendly: Whitley Bay 0-2 Wycombe Wanderers

Another good performance to restrict a toq quality Wycombe side to just 2 goals

Friendly: Whitley Bay 0-0 Plymouth Argyle

Whitley's defensive performance probably deserved a win here, but our strikers just couldn't breach Argyle's Championship defence

League: Ryton 0-1 Whitley Bay (Dikuiza)

For practically all of this match, Ryton genuinely struggled to get out of their own half, and we missed countless chances before Mohammed Dikuiza put us ahead just before the break. Despite continuing to dominate in the second half, we still couldn't add to that score, despite Paul Buzzeo coming closest, striking the underside of the crossbar.

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round: Wembley 1-1 Whitley Bay (Dikuiza)

Mohammed Dikuiza gave Bay the lead on an early trip to Wembley (the London borough, NOT the national stadium :( ) when the keeper failed to hold Richard Flynn's free kick, giving the former Blyth striker an open goal to shoot into. We couldn't hold on to the lead though, and a strike from James Richardson earned a very young Wembley side a Hillheads replay

League: Dunston UTS 1-1 Whitley Bay (Wiggins-Thomas)

We were under the cosh at times in this away trip, but Reuben Wiggins-Thomas's equaliser straight from the kick off after Dunston's opener earned us a point at Federation Park

League: Whitley Bay 2-2 Billingham Town (Dikuiza, Ryan)

Mohammed Dikuiza put Bay infront after just 2 minutes at Hillheads, but a moment of madness from Jordan Rayner, as he attacked the Billingham defender as the ball was in Town's box, saw Whitley down to 10 men. It cost them, as Billingham equalised before half time, and Whitley again couldn't hold onto a lead even after Leon Ryan's 85th minute strike.

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round Replay: Whitley Bay 1-0 Wembley (Potter)

Nick Potter scored the only goal at Hillheads after 16 minutes to set up an away tie at Colne in the next round.

FA Cup Preliminary Round: Colne 2-2 Whitley Bay (Wiggins-Thomas, Wilkinson)

Colne thought they were through when they took a 2 goal lead after an hour at Holt House, but Reuben Wiggins-Thomas put the win in danger with 6 minutes to go, and Michael Wilkinson's snapshot from 30 yards deep into stoppage time set up an unlikely replay

FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay: Whitley Bay 2-1 Colne (Dikuiza, Curley) After Extra Time

Whitley Bay took an early lead in this replay, when Mohammed Dikuiza finished after being played through by Matt Phelan. It wasn't enough to win though, as Colne equalised through a Haydn Eames header in the second half. Into extra time, and James Curley, making his debut after signing from Rocester, scored the winner, as his shot was parried by the keeper into the back of his own net. Bay will now play Leigh Genesis at Hillheads in the next round.

Player of the Month: The form of new signing from Chester-le-Street, Paul Buzzeo has been a key to our unbeaten start to the season. Unfortunately, he hurt his knee in the Colne replay, and will miss 6 weeks.

League Table

September 2011:

League: Whitley Bay 1-2 Newcastle Benfield (Dikuiza)

Newcastle Benfield ended our unbeaten start, and surprisingly it was at home, although it was to a 94th minute counter attack, so quite easy to get over, due to how close we were to the point. We did leave Adam Rowntree completely open in the middle though. Chris Lucketti at fault, maybe due to the fact he's 40 next week.

League: Chester-le-Street Town 3-0 Whitley Bay

A very poor performance, and if we play like that against Leigh Genesis, we'll get absolutely slaughtered. Never, from the first minute to the last, did we even look like scoring, never mind winning.

FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round: Whitley Bay 2-3 Leigh Genesis (Wiggins-Thomas, Ryan)

Leigh Genesis play their football two divisions higher than Bay, so a trip to Hillheads was met by an expected FA Cup advance for their team. It didn't quite work out as easy as they thought though, and Bay edged a goalless first half. Leigh came out stronger though, and Jack Dorney and then Steve Jones scored to put the Lancashire side 2-0 up. Bay weren't finished though, and they rallied to pull level, which they did when Reuben Wiggins-Thomas and Leon Ryan scored within 2 minutes of each other. Bay's attempts to win the game outright however, cost them as Jack Dorney found himself through to put the Northern Premier side in the 2nd Qualifying Round.

League: Esh Winning 1-0 Whitley Bay

We had a stroke of luck early on when the referee missed a blatant trip in the area by Richard Flynn, but the official appeared to realise his mistake, as he awarded the home side a penalty in first half stoppage time for a very soft tug by the same player. Conclusion? Both decisions were wrong. The penalty was converted, and the second half was one of those typical 1-0 games. Need to score but just can't get the ball to do so.

FA Vase 2nd Qualifying Round: Whitley Bay 2-0 New Mills (Edwars, Phelan)

Whitley were given a boost early in this game, when firstly Ben Edwards, and then Matt Phelan headed home to give the home side a 2-0 lead after just 17 minutes. The rest of the game belonged to the referee who pulled an incredible 12 yellow and 2 red cards out of his pocket in what was far from a dirty game. The fact that New Mills finished with nine men made it much easier to hold out for the win. We've drawn Atherton Collieries away in the next round.

League: North Shields 3-0 Whitley Bay

Bay signed North Shields' playmaker Robbie Livermore just hours before this game, and it was Livermore who had the early effect, when he should have won an obvious penalty, but for the referee's incompetence. Bay suffered a massive blow after 33 minutes when Leon Ryan was taken off with what turned out to be a reccurence of the fractured kneecap that had kept him out for 6 months over the summer. North Shields scored three goals in a second half they dominated with Bay minds clearly on their seriously injured striker.

League: Whitley Bay 2-2 Bedlington Terriers (MacDonald, Wilkinson)

It took just 24 seconds for Bay to take the lead, as Scott MacDonald finished after Darren Dunning's through ball. It wasn't long though before Daniel Lennon equalised for the 2010 champions. Bay were back infront just 6 minutes later when Michael Wilkinson knocked home the rebound after Matt Phelan's header came off the bar. It didn't last though, as Lennon equalised again before half time after great work from German winger Christoph Ascherl.

League: Whickham 0-2 Whitley Bay (MacDonald, Flynn)

Bay's first away win of the season again started with Scott MacDonald giving them the lead following a Darren Dunning through ball. Whickham couldn't find their way back into the game, and the win was sealed when Richard Flynn hit a piledriver free kick that hit the top corner before the keeper even saw it.

Player of the Month:

Paul Buzzeo's injury meant that Richard Flynn has had to fill in at right back this month, and he's been a total revelation. His presence has, however, been missed at centre back. His stunning goal at Whickham summed up his month perfectly!

League Table

October 2011:

FA Vase 1st Round: Atherton Collieries 3-0 Whitley Bay

Our dire away form continues - with disastrous consequences as we're dumped out of the FA Vase. The opening goal came after 29 seconds, and we never really looked up from there. We really have had no luck in this competition at all since Wembley in 2010.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Consett (Dikuiza (2))

Mohammed Dikuiza got both of the goals as Whitley comfortably beat a very poor Consett side who are bottom of the league.

League: Whitley Bay 0-1 West Allotment Celtic

Was the Consett win a turning point? The short answer is no, as a mistake by Ben Edwards gives Phil Bignall an open goal to score for WAC, and Bay just couldn't find an equaliser to spare Edwards' blushes

League: Tow Law Town 2-1 Whitley Bay (Carsley)

The decision to bring in Premier League veteran Lee Carsley looked to have paid off, as he opened the scoring with a stunning strike withing 3 minutes of his debut. To Tow Law's credit though, they turned it around, and got their reward through Neil Tarrant and Belal Aiteouakrim.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Billingham Synthonia (Wilkinson (2))

Michael Wilkinson scored two goals inside the first 6 minutes to win this game as Billingham Synthonia never recovered from the early double hit.

League: Shildon 0-1 Whitley Bay (Bramble)

The signing of former Football League star Tesfaye Bramble, brother of Titus, paid off as the big striker scored the only goal of this game, his debut, to cast Shildon aside and record two straight victories for Bay.

Player of the Month: Bay captain Liam Cattermole had a great month at left back, earning a well deserved Player of the Month award.

League Table

• 3 months later...

November 2011

League: Seaham Red Star 0-0 Whitley Bay

Not the greatest game to follow up the Shildon win with. Neither side really looked like scoring, and hence neither side did score

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Penrith (Bramble)

Tes Bramble seems to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time to get on the end of flying wingers Matt Phelan and Robbie Livermore’s deliveries and he gave us the lead here after 21 minutes. It wasn’t to last though as Shane Wilson equalised for Penrith just 6 minutes later.

League: Whitley Bay 0-0 Bishop Auckland

A cold Tuesday evening at Hillheads Park and a frustrating game to go with it. High flying Bishop Auckland came expecting a win, but it was a game we would definitely have won a couple of years ago. If only we still had Matty Tymon and the pre-injuries Leon Ryan back to put the chances away!

League: Birtley Town 1-2 Whitley Bay (Livermore, Phelan)

Another away win, this time courtesy of Matt Phelan’s stoppage time winner. We fell behind in the first half, but Robbie Livermore’s goal levelled things up before Phelan received the ball out wide, cut inside onto his right foot and smashed the ball past the keeper for the winner.

League: South Shields 0-0 Whitley Bay

Filtrona Park isn’t a happy hunting ground for the Bay, so I was quite relieved to have escaped from here with a point, albeit another snooze-fest 0-0

League: Whitley Bay 0-1 Northallerton Town

Oh dear! Beaten at home by league strugglers without even looking like threatening their goal. It doesn’t get much worse than this! Bramble was absolutely awful up top, not justifying his massive wage at all, and our defenders fell asleep when a ball came in, allowing Daniel Bowker to score the away side’s winner on 83 minutes. I don’t take home defeats particularly well, and especially not ones like this!

Brooks Mileson Cup 2nd Round: Whitley Bay 0-1 West Allotment Celtic

A second home defeat in the space of four days. WAC have got a thing about winning at Hillheads and they’ve gone and done it again here. We’ve spectacularly failed to defend our League cup title, going down to a solitary Joe Tustain header after just 6 minutes. It was after this game that I realised what a waste of a massive wage Bramble was and released him from his contract so that he could find another club to rip off somewhere.

League: West Auckland Town 0-0 Whitley Bay

Not a great result, but much better than what we’ve had, so I’ll take it!

League: Ryton 0-2 Whitley Bay (Edwards, Potter)

We actually seem to be much better away than at home, so a trip to Crawcrook wasn’t too daunting. I also made a tactical decision to switch on loan Blyth defender Ben Edwards to a centre forward for this one, and it paid off as he opened the scoring in the first half, before Nick Potter made the points safe three minutes from time

Player of the Month: This one goes to new boy from North Shields Robbie Livermore. He injects not only pace, but also a touch of class on the right wing, and has created most of the goals we scored during November

December 2011

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Dunston UTS (Edwards)

This was heading for another goalless bore until a defensive mistake allowed Scott Rickards to score what he thought was Dunston’s winner in the 87th minute. All was not lost however, as a questionable bounce in the box allowed converted striker Ben Edwards to smash home a last gasp equaliser in the 4th minute of stoppage time

League: Billingham Town 0-1 Whitley Bay (Edwards)

Ben Edwards scored the only goal after only 11 minutes at the Ron Greig stadium, as Billingham just didn’t have enough firepower to threaten the goal of new keeper Josh Mimms, signed from Cheadle Town to replace the out of touch Kindley

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Esh Winning (Wiggins-Thomas)

Bay got off to the worst possible start at Hillheads, where we haven’t won since beating Billingham Synthonia 2-0 in mid-October. Rob Gier gave away a penalty in only the 2nd minute, which Dave Anderson duly converted to give the County Durham side the lead. Winger Reuben Wiggins-Thomas, who has fought his way back into the team, equalised on 15 minutes with a careful chipped finish, but Bay couldn’t find a winner despite dominating.

League: Newcastle Benfield 0-2 Whitley Bay (Carsley, Edwards)

We may not be able to do it at home, but this was another excellent away victory as Benfield are genuine play off challengers this season. Lee Carsley gave us the lead just after half time with a thunderbolt from 25 yards, and Ben Edwards made the points sure at Sam Smith’s Park with ten minutes to play

Player of the Month: This goes to converted striker Ben Edwards, who has changed from a nervy defender to a composed forward, and has grabbed a few important goals this month.

January 2012

League: Whitley Bay 0-1 Chester-le-Street Town

The worst possible start to 2012, as we go down 1-0 at home to 2nd place CLS due to an early strike from Luke Appleton. To their credit, you can see why they are so high in the league, they are a very good side

League: Whitley Bay 3-0 North Shields (Livermore, Gier, Carsley (pen))

Top of the league, you’re ‘avin a laugh! Table topping North Shields will not have enjoyed this one bit, as they were humiliated by local rivals Whitley Bay at Hillheads Park. In a reverse of Shields’ 3-0 win on the Meadow Well in September, Bay took the lead after just five minutes when former Robin Robbie Livermore headed Lee Carsley’s corner home to score against his former club. It got worse for the table toppers just four minutes later when they conceded almost a carbon copy of the first goal, Rob Gier the beneficiary this time. 2-0 down after 9 minutes in the derby! Shields did get back into the game but didn’t really threaten Josh Mimms in the Whitley net at any point, and Bay completed the rout when Robbie Livermore was fouled in the box in stoppage time, and Lee Carsley stepped up to put a nice round figure on the scoreline. You’re just a small town in Whitley!

League: Consett 0-1 Whitley Bay (Edwards)

A less than convincing performance against struggling Consett, but a solitary Ben Edwards goal was enough to take three points back to Hillheads.

League: Whitley Bay 2-0 Whickham (Livermore, Wiggins-Thomas)

A second consecutive home win, as first the in-form Robbie Livermore and then Reuben Wiggins-Thomas got the goals as Whitley scored a routine home win

Player of the Month: This just has to go to Robbie Livermore, if only for the way that he totally demolished his old club North Shields in the derby. He was also very impressive in the other games, in an excellent month in which Bay climbed the table. Oh, I do miss the Vase games around this time of year!

February 2012

League: Bedlington Terriers 1-1 Whitley Bay (Edwards)

Daylight robbery at Welfare Park as Whitley scored through Ben Edwards and then dominated the game, only for the Terriers Kevin Ward to rise highest in the box to head home a 94th minute equaliser that they just didn’t deserve. A big blow against our biggest rivals for 5th place

League: Whitley Bay 1-1 Seaham Red Star (Potter)

Nick Potter gave us a 1st minute lead against Seaham, but we couldn’t take advantage of such an early start, and Dean Maynard equalised for Seaham on 25 minutes.

League: West Allotment Celtic 1-1 Whitley Bay (Edwards)

A third consecutive 1-1 draw, as Ben Edwards gave us the lead, but we wouldn’t be Whitley Bay if we could hold onto a lead, and Alex Fiddes gave WAC a point they didn’t deserve. How frustrating!

League: Whitley Bay 1-0 Tow Law Town (Livermore)

A good win against an underperforming Tow Law side who didn’t really look like scoring an equaliser after Robbie Livermore gave the Bay the lead.

Northumberland Senior Cup Quarter Final: Whitley Bay 0-1 North Shields

I don’t like this competition, so I’m not too disappointed at going out early. At least it saved us from another hammering at the hands of Newcastle in the semi.

Player of the Month: Another one for Ben Edwards whose superb finishing earned us several points throughout February.

Archived