South American Career...

Colorado

Before we begin our adventure, I'd just like to tell you details about the game I'm running. icon_smile.gif

Every South American league is running as is are Mexican leagues and the M.L.S.

My nationality is English and the favourite club on my profile is the Brazilian First Division club Internacional, whom I follow irl too.

One key thing about my story where it will differ to most others is that I've spend alot of time using the editor.

Player/Club data and finances remain completly untouched but on the chairman's attributes I've edited the patience attribute. This is because I feel in South America there are FAR more managerial changes irl and I don't feel this represented very well in the game. I've edited every chairman from each playable South American nation and in Mexico to have a minimum patience of 1 and a maximum patience of 4.

This will make the game quite interesting as clubs will often change managers 3/4 times a season (as in real life).

As far as a career game goes, as a manager you are under pressure from day one, and although opportunities to manage bigger clubs may come around more often, staying in the job once your there is very challenging.

This is the first time I've attempted to do a story the same time as playing so if it's not too good then just let me know. My aim is to try and become a successful manager in South America and I hope to get the chance to manage some of the biggest clubs on the continent such as the big Rio, Sao Paulo clubs and the likes of River, Boca etc.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before we begin our adventure, I'd just like to tell you details about the game I'm running. icon_smile.gif

Every South American league is running as is are Mexican leagues and the M.L.S.

My nationality is English and the favourite club on my profile is the Brazilian First Division club Internacional, whom I follow irl too.

One key thing about my story where it will differ to most others is that I've spend alot of time using the editor.

Player/Club data and finances remain completly untouched but on the chairman's attributes I've edited the patience attribute. This is because I feel in South America there are FAR more managerial changes irl and I don't feel this represented very well in the game. I've edited every chairman from each playable South American nation and in Mexico to have a minimum patience of 1 and a maximum patience of 4.

This will make the game quite interesting as clubs will often change managers 3/4 times a season (as in real life).

As far as a career game goes, as a manager you are under pressure from day one, and although opportunities to manage bigger clubs may come around more often, staying in the job once your there is very challenging.

This is the first time I've attempted to do a story the same time as playing so if it's not too good then just let me know. My aim is to try and become a successful manager in South America and I hope to get the chance to manage some of the biggest clubs on the continent such as the big Rio, Sao Paulo clubs and the likes of River, Boca etc.

The club I've decided to take over are the managerless Union San Felipe from Chile and they compete in the First Division.

As with most South America leagues the season run's yearly not from Aug-May as in Europe. So the game starts in January 2006.

Union San Felipe are from... San Felipe which is just North East from the capital Santiago, from looking at my atlas I'm guessing it's about an hour and a half drive. They play their home matches at the 13,500 capacity Municipal de San Felipe.

Their most noteable years appear to be the early 70's where upon winning First Division B in 1970 they went up and won the First Division the following year. Other than winning the First Division B in 1988 and 2000 the San Felipe residents have very little to shout about.

December 2005 - Porto Alegre, Brazil.

My time working for Internacional had come to an end. The club had taken me on as a coach working with the Under 20's set-up for 6 months. As an eager to learn coach, it had been an invaluable experience to work with the club and my appetite to coach and manage had grown even more. To be honest, I was disappointed to be finishing.

In my last week with the club, I spoke to Vitorio Piffero, the General Manager of Inter. I expressed the thanks for their kind gesture in allowing me to work with their youth players and for the experience that I had gained. I also mentioned it was difficult for me to leave as I had settled in at the club and city and that it was going to be difficult for me to find another club to coach or manage.

Vitorio told me that I needn't worry and just to keep trying and sooner or later something would come up. He also said he knew an agent who had many contacts not just in Brazil but across South America and that I should contact him.

I had few options other than to contact the agent I'd been told of, so I decided to contact him. He was based in Sao Paulo. WhenI told him about my circumstances he was already aware! He mentioned that his good friend Vitorio Piffero had spoke highly of me and that he would be more than happy to assist - for a small fee, of course! It was a pretty big gamble but I agreed and he said he'd be in touch in a few days.

Four days later....

I was leaving Brazil for UK tomorrow and was packing my things to leave. I'd contacted that agent several times but had been unable to contact him. I felt that I would be returning back to the UK without anything and that I would have to start from scratch getting back into football in England again. Not only that, the agent had taken my money and had appeared to of vanished from the face of the earth. I was questioning what I had done coming all the way to South America in the first place then my phone rang.

It was the agent, "I have some news for you", he said. "We have opportunity.... There is an opportunity for you... you must come here at once!" I tried to explain that I'd been in trying to contact him for nearly a week without hearing anything and that my flight was leaving tomorrow to return to UK. "It is up to you, but I think I have found something for you, meet me in Santiago Airport tomorrow, there isn't much time."

I'd never been to Chile before, I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't have a great deal of knowledge about the Chilean game and didn't really know what the agent had in store for me. I was half expecting him to offer me a place, coaching on some soccer camp. Something I had no desire to do. All I knew is that I'd paid a considerable amount of money for his services and they'd better be good!!

I touched down in Santiago and the first thing which hit me was the intense heat, it got hot in Porto Alegre, incredibly hot but nothing like this.

I followed the agents instructions and met him in a cafeteria in the airport near the terminal I had arrived in. I was half expecting him not to turn up so the fact I'd met him was a bonus! We sat down and I asked him about the 'opportunity' he had mentioned.

He asked me if I felt I could live here and that I could be succesful here and that Chile is a developing country. I didn't know where he was leading so I asked him outright what did he have to tell me which was so important for me to fly across South America to meet him.

He explained that there was a club not to far away from here competing in the Chilean First Division and they'd approached the agent to find suitable candiates for their manager vacancy. The club wanted to act quicky as they had just four weeks until their league campaign begins.

The offer sounded to good to be true and I was rather sceptical over the whole issue.

I felt any club which offered such a position without even meeting the candiate must be so poorly run that I wouldn't go near them but the agent reassured me by telling me that I'm not being offered the job, I've being offered the opportunity to talk to the club. He also added that I must act immeadiatly if I want to the chairman of the club.

I agreed to speak to him and sat in the searing heat as I watched the agent frantically dialling numbers and speaking spanish, he finished his call and said me must leave straight away. The chairman will meet us in two hours.

We were to meet the chairman in a city called Vina del Mar, just north from where we were in Santiago. We travelled in taxi and whilest driving, the agent to me of the city and the club I soon to be spending every working hour over... Union San Felipe!!

Vina del Mar, Chile....

We finally arrived a plush looking hotel right by the sea, the city was beautiful and if San Felipe was to be anything like Vina del Mar I was going to be more than happy!

It was at the hotel where we were to meet the Union San Felipe Chaiman, Rodrigo Oliver. Myself, the agent and Mr Oliver sat down in a quite room. We were each poured a class of wine and were then left alone.

The agent was to be translating for both us so I was hoping he would just stick to the one glass!! He introduced ourselves to each other and then began talking to Mr Oliver, I didn't understand a word he was saying but I heard the words 'Internacional' and 'Porto Alegere' being mentioned so I knew he was explaining my history. This continued for a few minutes and it was getting difficult to look interested as I didn't know what the hell was being said.

The agent turned to me and said, "Senior Oliver has somethings to say to you", Mr Oliver started speaking and immediatley the agent began translating.

"You see, we are a small club... it's difficult, the money.. the best players... they don't stay in Chile.. but when they do, they go to Santiago.. To be in San Felipe, it's difficult.. every club in Chile struggles now, but for us outside Santiago it is becoming impossible.."

I started to feel like he was putting me off being interested in working with him! He continued, "Union is a proud club but we must have new idea's.. we need to be original.. we want other clubs to look at Union San Felipe and say why didn't we do that.. why didn't we think of this... For Union, it is the only way we can build for the future and to stay competitive.. if not... then we must look at playing in First Division B..."

The agent looked at me nodding his head as Rodrigo Oliver took a sip of his wine before continuing, "We need someone with fresh ideas, someone who can put pride into the club and make the people of San Felipe happy... I think that someone like yourself could do a very good job at a club like mine..."

My eyes nearly popped out, he was basically offering me the managerial job. "You can work for Union San Felipe... but you don't take from me... if you want this position then you must work with what I offer or I will find somebody else...", lectured Oliver, with that he began scribbling on paper.

£220 each week for 12 months, read the paper as he lay it down on the table with his arms folded. "That is it, if you say 'no', then you leave now...if you say 'yes' then we meet tomorrow in San Felipe and begin..."

I looked at the agent and nodded agreeingly but said I'm not signing anything until I speak further to the club and visit San Felipe. The agent explained this to Mr Oliver, "Very well... we meet at Municpal de San Felipe tomorrow at 11am", the agent translated to me. Rodrigo Oliver shook hands with us and walked out of the room. The agent looked at me, I couldn't belive it. In just 15 mins I'd agreed to manage Rodrigo Oliver's club.

I was half excited at the prospect and half thinking, what have I done?!?

1st January 2006 - Vina del Mar, Chile.

We left Vina del Mar and it's views of the pacific ocean early on New Years Day, myself and the agent had a few drinks to celebrate yesterday's meeting and the start of 2006 but nothing as major as some of the parties which kept me awake half the night.

We travelled to San Felipe and arrive at half 9 in good time for our meeting with Rodrigo Oliver. I found a nice hotel in the centre of the city and for the first time since arriving in Chile contemplated making myself at 'home'.

We arrived at Municipal de San Felipe in time for our 11am meeting with club chairman Rodrigo Oliver.

I could see the ground wasn't in too bad condidtion and the pitch looked quite good.

We met in Mr Oliver's office and discussed further details of the club and city. The club had 28 contracted players, the club had players on both full and part time contracts. I was to have £156,000 made available for transfer funds and the £9,500 wage budget was currently £3,000 a week under, so at did I have room to bring in players externally if need be.

Argentine, Luis Maselli was currently employed as a coach but had basically run the playing side of things since the club had been without a manager. Pablo Contreras was the club's physio. I felt that the level of coaching staff at the club was something which would need urgent attention.

I was happy with what I had seen and signed my 1 year contract, this was to be quite an opportunity and one which I certainly wasn't expecting.

I had three weeks from which to prepare my squad for the start of the First Division.

The First Division is Chile's top domestic league, out of the 20 clubs the main clubs are Colo Colo, Unversidad de Chile and Universidad Catolica. Rangers and Union Espanola both have good support and generally do well.

The league runs in two sections, Opening and Closing where each section has each team play each other once. The bottom two from both leagues are relegated whiles each club is placed into a sub-group of 5 clubs. The top two from each section's sub group go through to two legged play off's to establish the champion.

The chairman and fans both expect us to avoid relegation this season but from what I see on the training ground I think we should be fine. My players looked in good shape, we had plently of pace, they had a good touch and good all get the ball down and pass it about.

I felt we could definatly bring in a few fresh faces and ear-marked the left and right wing areas as areas for strengthening. Off the pitch things were going well, with the help of my agent I'd managed to speak to 5 different coaches and had offered them deals to come and work at the club, I also spoke to a couple of Brazilian scouts about the possibilty of doing some work for us.

Fortunately every coach I approached agreed to join as did the two scouts.

I'd also approached Colo Colo about the prospect of bringing in 2 of their youth players in on loan for the season, Juan Pablo Arenas an 18 year old AMR/C who'd been capped at U21 level and Gonzalo Fierro who is a 22 year old winger who can play either side. Fierro in particular looked like a player who could really do a job for us.

Colo Colo and both players agreed to the deal so we I'd added to what needed urgent attention fairly quickly, I also felt we could do with another quality centre half and spoke to Universidad Catolica about bringing in Claudio Munoz on loan. They too seemed happy to let us work with their player and Claudio signed within a few days.

I allowed a few players to leave too, a 40 year old centre half joined First Division B side, Arica and I allowed a half decent right midfielder to join another First Division B club, Magallanes. 32 year old second choice keeper was also allowed to leave the club, dropping down a level to join Fernandez Vial.

With my backroom staff all in place and my having shuffled up my squad a little I was able to sit back and settle into San Felipe whilest preparing for our low key pre season programme.

Our pre-season fixtures consisted of the following 3 away games with non-league opposition -

07/01 - San Antonio Unido

10/01 - Trasandino

21/01 - Municipal Nogales

We took the games very seriously, our objectives were to get the players match fit, have a look at how the players can fit in, try out some tatics and hopefully to score a few goals and get a winning mentality installed into my players.

We managed to achieve all these by winning 7-0, 4-0 and 5-0. We were playing quite a slow game and getting the ball down on the ground and passing our way through teams, we hammered some of the teams we played against but I kept stressing to the players that against stronger opposition we must be able to do the same.

I was also concerned about the lack of depth we had up front, we were generally playing a 4-5-1 because of this but I felt we may find ourselves short of goals. We had players but I felt one or two of them weren't good enough or ready for this level. I had a good look around to see what was available in the transfer market but didn't see anyone who had what I was looking for. The transfer window was to close soon so I needed to make a decision either way.

The fixtures had us home for our/my first game, just what I'd wanted, these three games would hopefully give me a good idea of how we stood with other clubs at our level and hopefully be a good indication of what we're capable of.

H - Concepcion

A - Cobreola

H - Temuco

First match of the season, we faced Concepcion. All our hard work/all I'd done to get this far was for this...

Just over 1,500 supporters were at Municipal de San Felipe for the opening game of the season. The players were fit, we had a long meeting before the game where I just asked to do what we'd done through the pre season games. We started well and got a goal through our lone striker Patrico Reyes to give us the lead.

Reyes managed to score again only to find himself offside whilest Fierro also managed to have a goal disallowed for the same reason. Concepcion managed to equalise in the 39th min. We went in at half time knowing we shouldn't be 1-1, I told the players to keep it up and to work for the second goal.

The second goal did come but it was for Concepcion, they managed to score from a defensive error in the 63rd min and despite us huffing and puffing our way towards their goal then clung on and finished victorious.

It was so disappointing to lose in the way we did but I felt other than the result everything else was fine. We played well, worked hard and created. I was quite sure we would play much worse throughout the season but still manage to win.

This was to make the midweek game at Cobreola even more testing.

We travelled to Calama to play Cobreola. I was just hoping we good put in the same level of performance as we had in our match with Concepcion but this time have a bit more luck!

Again, we started well, it was Reyes again who got on the scoresheet after just 7 mins. Again, we were to conceed before half time sending us in drawing 1-1 at halftime.

The second half was disappointing, we lost our way and found it hard to make any sort of impact in the game. We gave away a goal midway and as the game finished 2-1 to Cobreola I felt slightly relived that it was only 2-1 and nothing more.

Still though I felt we were playing good football and we could play our way out of trouble and hopefully get our first win at home to Temuco.

We approached the game with Temuco knowing a defeat would leave fighting it out with the other clubs at the bottom of the table and it wouldn't be the start we wanted. On the other hand I knew it was early days, and at this stage just a few points can lift you up the table.

I'd always felt we could play our way out of trouble and this was the match which proved me right, we took the lead through our right winger Santibanez early in the first half after piling the pressure on the Temuco defence. Just four minutes later though our on loan defender Claudio Munoz pulled down a Temuco forward when he was the last man, Munoz was given his marching orders. We didn't let our heads drop though depsite being a man down and contained Temuco to half time.

We needed a second goal to finish Temuco off and in a dominating second half we managed to do so with our AMC Sebastian Calderon scoring a cracker. We finished the game 2-0 and despite having 10 men we didn't face much of a fight and send Temuco back home empty handed.

Our first win, this needs to be a turning point and in front of the TV cameras away to Rangers could be the perfect opportunity to show people that Union San Felipe aren't pushovers.

Our forth league game, our first in front of the TV cameras resulted in a memorable 4-1 victory away to Rangers.

Despite Rangers taking an early lead, a remarkable solo effort from my on loan winger Fierro puts us level just before half time. We dominate the second half for long periods and when Rangers had their midfielder sent off half way through for 2 bookings, we took advantage taking the lead 2-1. We then nicked another 2 goals in the last ten minutes as Rangers pushed forward.

Getting our second consecutive win gave me great satisfaction, our first team games we outplayed our opposition, now we're outplaying the opposition, scoring goals and winning.

This really puts us in a good position for our next match, a midweek encounter at home against Universidad de Chile.

Despite being one of the leagues biggest clubs and have only won one match out of four. Fortunately their star player Marcelo Salas misses the game through injury.

An historic 3-1 victory over Universidad de Chile saw my Union San Felipe made it three consecutive wins. Our biggest home gate of the season (3,311) saw Universidad take the lead through a debatable penalty in the 25th min.

We grew in confidence in the second half and our patience paid off as we levelled through my subsitute striker Freddy Amijo, the goal lifted us even more as we piled further pressure on Universidad and through another sub striker, young Sebastion Calderon we made it 2-1, then to cap it all off Calderon made it 3-1 to ensure us the points with a fantastic finish placing the ball in the top hand corner from a tight, narrow angle.

This midweek game was the highlight of our season so far and a spokesman from the supporters club believes it is the start of an exciting new era for the club.

Our recent run of form has put us up to 6th in the league and we occupy 2nd place in our sub-group.

A visit this weekend to the capital, Santiago for our next game against title chasing Universidad Catolica will surely prove a stiff test for us. Despite having the same record as ourselves (Won 3 Lost 2) I will be more than happy to take a point from the game.

Despite being on a run of three consecutive victories things fall apart in Santiago, where we lost 4-0 to Unversidad Catolica.

The pre-seasons big spenders wipe us out when two defensive errors cost us with a goal apiece for Jorge Queinteros and Luis Ignacio Queinteros in the first half whilst two goals from Joel Estay in the second half put the game beyond any doubt.

A bit of a blow to us, a draw would of been great but to lose the way we did was disappointing. We had alot of the ball but continually failed to create, giving it away and got punished. A particularly bad error (which gave them the 2nd goal) from goalkeeper Omar Arcos ensured I had the jitters every time he got the ball. I tried my little trick of bringing on my two forwards and going 4-4-2 at half time but it failed to come off. It worked so well in the Rangers game but 21 year old Sebastion Calderon really looked out of his depth today.

After the game I told the press I felt Jorge Pellicer would lead Universidad Catolica to the league championship. I think we shouldn't be too downhearted because we cannot match the larger clubs in the division but its important now we can bounce back in our next match at home to struggling Melipilla.

Melipilla's visit has added importance as they are also in the same sub-group as us.

A disciplined performance and the debut of AMC/FC Luiz Nunez who joins up with the squad a pre-season injury see Union San Felipe start with 4-4-2 aiming to bounce back from the midweek 4-0 defeat at the hands of Unverisdad Catolica.

Things go well, very well and within 9 mins we are 2-0 up with a debut goal from Luiz Nunez and an effort from AMC Rafael Celedon. We dictate the game until half time. Where I remind the players to keep working the ball and don't let complacency creep in. We go keep at Melipilla but lack focus in the 70th min when they nick a goal, we continue to work hard and create and as Melipilla are pushing forward the score in the last minute as subsitute DMC Juan Carlos Espinozaheads the ball over the line to send the 2000 fans crazy and securing us the three points.

The added importance of Melipilla being our sub-group is confirmed as Concepcion lose 5-2 to Universidad Catolica which sees climb to Union San Felipe in first place and climb to fifth in the league.

Our next match see's us visit Santiago again as we take on winless Audax Italiano at the Municpal de La Florida. If the early form is anything to go by we should be looking to pick up the full three points...

The sight when the players ran out at the Municpal de La Florida was slightly unmotivating for the game ahead of us, just 335 Audax Italiano supporters in their 8,500 capacity stadium. Nevertheless we had to remain proffesional and focused if we were to continue Audax Italiano's winless streak of seven games!

The game kicked off with both sides looking equal with and it took us a little while to settle into the match. Come the 23rd minute though Patrico Reyes grabbed his third of the season with a lovely finish to give us the lead. Audax Italiano fought to get back into things but getting more possesion they wasted chance after chance and looked to lack any sort of quality or compsure in our box as the game finished 1-0 at half time.

The second half provide much of the same, again Audax Italiano got hold of the ball but again their final ball and finishing was poor. I began to wonder how long we could continue to depend on their lack of quality up front but decided to resist making any changes and stick with things.

With the final 20 mins to go we began to look a little heavy legged so brought on 17 year old loanee Juan Pablo Arens to make his third appearance in the Union San Felipe shirt, I also freshened up our forward line with Armijo replacing Reyes ten mins later. Then, in the 81st minute we secured the win with a fantastic 25 yard finish from Celedon. It looked to take a bit of a deflection on the way in the replay but we weren't complaining anyway. There was no way we were going to drop points now, and as the ref blew for full time, I told the players I was delighted with them all for their comitment and focus throughout the 90mins.

I remembered back to our first match against Concepcion when we played so well, only to lose 2-1 and I said back then, there would be occassions when we don't play as well but still win. This was one of those games.

The win lifts us to 4th position in the league, only a point behind Colo Colo who have a game in hand though and just 3 points behind the joint league leaders Universidad Catolica and Everton.

Better still, we are 2 points clear of second place Huachipato in our sub-group and 4 points clear of Concepcion who hold the 3rd place. Considering the top two from each group go through to the next round I really think we have a chance now providing we can maintain our form over the next 11 games.

We've also been speaking to clubs regarding to potential transfers, Fierro the young winger on loan to us from Colo Colo is someone who I really want to make a permanent signing but negotiations are still some way off as we cannot afford Colo Colo's current demands.

I'm also looking at a 20 year old left back called Omar Riquelme, he plays for Union Espanola's under 20's but is someone who I'm sure can do a job for us. We agreed terms with the club for £100,000 and also agreed terms with the player but the concern is that if we bought him we'd only have £60,000 left to spend meaning we'd never be able to sign Fierro, also left back isn't a weak area for us right now. I've no doubts though that Omar Riquelme is a great talent and I don't want to let him get away.

Our fixtures see us playing weekly now, making a nice change from the two games a-week schedule we've been on so far. Our next to matches are both at the Municipal de San Felipe where we play mid-table La Serena and then sixth placed Union Espanola. I'd be happy to come through those two games with 4 points so, we'll have to wait and see.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -Xenon-:

Have a break, have a KitKat.

You've been writing all day!

P.S Good start. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha thanks mate... bought time someone else wrote something in here...

| Pos | Inf | Team | | Pld | Won | Drn | Lst | For | Ag | G.D. | Pts |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 1st | | Universidad Católica | | 8 | 6 | 0 | 2 | 18 | 8 | +10 | 18 |

| ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| 2nd | | Everton (CHI) | | 8 | 6 | 0 | 2 | 13 | 10 | +3 | 18 |

| 3rd | | Colo Colo | | 7 | 5 | 2 | 0 | 15 | 4 | +11 | 17 |

| 4th | | Unión San Felipe | | 8 | 5 | 0 | 3 | 16 | 11 | +5 | 15 |

| 5th | | Cobreloa | | 8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 13 | 8 | +5 | 14 |

| 6th | | Unión Española | | 8 | 4 | 2 | 2 | 12 | 7 | +5 | 14 |

| 7th | | Huachipato | | 8 | 3 | 4 | 1 | 14 | 12 | +2 | 13 |

| 8th | | Santiago Wanderers | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 11 | 8 | +3 | 11 |

| 9th | | Coquimbo Unido | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 9 | +1 | 11 |

| 10th | | Cobresal | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 14 | 14 | 0 | 11 |

| 11th | | La Serena | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 10 | 10 | 0 | 11 |

| 12th | | Concepción | | 8 | 3 | 2 | 3 | 17 | 21 | -4 | 11 |

| 13th | | Universidad de Chile | | 8 | 3 | 1 | 4 | 15 | 13 | +2 | 10 |

| 14th | | Palestino | | 8 | 3 | 1 | 4 | 14 | 15 | -1 | 10 |

| 15th | | Universidad de Concepción | | 7 | 2 | 2 | 3 | 11 | 11 | 0 | 8 |

| 16th | | Rangers (CHI) | | 8 | 1 | 5 | 2 | 14 | 16 | -2 | 8 |

| 17th | | Temuco | | 8 | 2 | 1 | 5 | 11 | 17 | -6 | 7 |

| 18th | | Audax Italiano | | 8 | 0 | 4 | 4 | 6 | 14 | -8 | 4 |

| 19th | | Puerto Montt | | 8 | 0 | 4 | 4 | 10 | 20 | -10 | 4 |

| 20th | | Melipilla | | 8 | 1 | 0 | 7 | 4 | 20 | -16 | 3 |

Omar Riquelme becomes my first signing since joining Union San Felipe. A late call from his representitives confirms that he will offically join us from Union Espinola when the tranfer window re-opens in July.

Despite not lacking in the left back area, I feel Omar has great talent and by bringing him in we are ensuring that we will have a quality left back for many seasons.

Due the clubs limited finances, any attempt to make Fierro's loan permanent will now have to wait until the end of the season.

As far as other potential signings are concerend, we are keeping a close eye on striker Paul Cominges who plays for Atletico Universidad in Peru. With the Peruvian season kicking off this week it will be interesting to see how he does.

Any move for him though is still some way off but I fear our current forwards do not have enough about them to ensure we can maintain the same sort of form throughout the rest of the season.

Despite last night's delight at signing Riquelme we needed to focus on todays game with La Serena.

I decided to start with 4-4-2 which would allow Reyes someone to play alongside. I droped Fierro to the bench, as he had played almost every minute of our season so far from the left wing. He was replaced with our second choice striker Amijo who has mainly been restricted to late subsitute appearances. I would also allow me to put the young Sebastion Calderon on the bench and hopefully give him a run out. He hadn't featured for us since our defeat at Universidad Catolica.

We started well and in front our biggest crowd to date (4,115) we went ahead with a goal from Reyes early in the first half, and Reyes again doubled his tally with a neat finish from a cross coming in from the right.

The second half saw us lose some of the dominace we had during the first 45 minutes but La Serena were lacking quality up front as they were unable to manage a shot on target in the entire game.

Our second consecutive 2-0 win saw us rise to third in the league table but still some way off undefeated Colo Colo, we're definatly making progress though and despite my growing fears about the strength we have up front we're scoring goals and not conceeding either. Our place in the next round of the league looks secure as we have built up a 7 point game over third placed Rangers in our sub-group, we will surely qualify unless something drastic happens.

The TV cameras will be at Municipal de San Felipe for our next game in six days time against Santiago outfit Union Espinola. Espinola arrive at San Felipe having won their last two matches and it also appears that Omar Riquelme has been promoted from the U20's to the senior squad.

Alot of news this week as the build to the Union Espinola game continues.

Unfortunatly ever present goalkeeper is ruled out for 2-4 weeks with a pulled hamstring, 23 year old reserve keeper Gonzalo Mancilla will deputise.

Union Espanola manager Fernando Carvalho has spoken to the media warning us that we have to beat the big teams if we're to continue our winning run. I then warned him saying we'd do whatever it takes to beat them.

It was a big enough game for us already but with the hype thats gone on this week, there seems to be even more at stake.

On the transfer front, Paul Cominges, the Peruvian striker we having been watching has demanded to move to a bigger club. I immeadiatly declared my interest in him and made the best bid we could possible make of around £100,000. His club have to told him to stay put but Cominges has refused to back down. Several clubs are now monitoring the situation and Deportivo Wanka and San Jose Earthquakes have also made firm bids for him. Both of which are stronger than ours.

It appears that we will lose out on him now and I will have to look elsewhere.

The game with Union Espanola turned out to be just as difficult as expected and in front of a healthy crowd of 4089 both teams were happy to take a point each as the game finished 1-1.

We reverted back to our 4-5-1 for this one, particularly to strengthen our midfield with the knowledge that the brilliant AMC Sierra would be playing for Espanola. The first half was very tight and both teams were edgy and were restricted to half chances. This was until the end of the first half where our deputy keeper Mancilla was forced to pull of some fantastic reaction saves. At half time I was happy to be going in level.

The second half began the same as the first with neither team looking to take the lead, this was until a cross from the far side was headed in by a Union Espanola forward giving them the lead.

The goal they scored was probably the best thing that happened to us as from then on, we dominated possesion pinning Espanola right back into their own half for long periods. AMC Celedon came off for AMC/FC Luiz Nunez who was making just his second appearance due to injury and we reverted to a more attacking 4-4-2. The Nunez subsitution worked a treat as he should from a tight angle with the ball clipping their defender as it went past the line! 1-1 all even!!

We continued to stamp our authority on the game as Union Espanola made changes in an attempt to freshen up their side. This failed to work and after using all the subs, one of the players they brought on got himself injured meaning they'd have to play out the last 10 mins with 10 men. We attacked more and more but couldn't break down their reslient defence and the game finished 1-1.

I told the players I was very pleased with the result, particularly as we dominated the game for such a long time. This was the game which would tell us how far we've come. Espanola are a very good side and I felt we more than matched them.

As I was speaking to the players after the game, I was given an urgent message to speak to Rodrigo Oliver (our chairman) straight away. I left the dressing room and went up to his office where he told me he'd just recieved news from Peru where Atletico Universidad had agreed to accept Paul Cominges transfer request and the bid we had put in had been accepted. We contacted Cominges' representitives and offered him a deal. Atletico Universidad have already accepted offers from several clubs, and we really stand an outside chance of getting him. I have a gut feeling he will join San Jose but you never know.

Next up on our fixture list see's us vist Universidad de Concepcion. Having lost six out of their ten games and only winning two, we will be fully expecting to bring back 3 points to San Felipe.

All the hope leading up to this week was for nothing...

Whilest Paul Cominges agreed to join another Peruvian club, Deportivo Municipal, we travelled to Concepcion in high spirits for us to come away with nothing...

We played quite well, and sometimes freak games like this come up and you can't do much about them. Defensivley it was the poorest we've been all season. We conceed 5 goals to lose the match 5-4.

We started with 4-4-2 with Reyes and Nunez up front and it was looking to pay divendends when we went 2-0 with a goal from each of them within only 13 mins. I felt we were well on our way to victory and another goal would garuntee us the points. Whoever an unlucky own goal by Ahumada then a defensive lapse again from Ahumada made it 2-2. Unversidad de Concepcion were flying! Young, Juan Pablo Areanas then put us 3-2 at the break with a header.

At half time despite regaining the lead things weren't right. Our most highly valued player and ever present, MRC Nelson San Martin was looking out of sorts and we looked anything but solid at the back.

We started off well after the break with Luiz Nunez netting his second to cushion our lead to 4-2 but Universidad refused to sit back and pulled two goals back in the space of five minutes leaving it 4-4. We attacked the game even more and despite having a goal by Reyes ruled out, we just couldnt get the ball into the back of the net. As we pushed further and further for the winner, Universidad too were feeling confident and changed to a 4-2-4. This was to cost us and a break away resulted in a fantastic lob over our keeper to put them 4-3 ahead! Worse still, the striker who scored it is someone we're looking at perhaps bringing in.

In my post-match interview I wanted to make it clear to their manager, Oscar Meneses that we had no grudges with the defeat. They refused to back down and were brave enough to stand and match us, and they got rewarded for it.

Disappointingly the result had a drastic effect on our league standing, dropping down to 8th place! Our sub-group is looking ok but we need to be careful as we are 2nd place, 5 points ahead of Rangers.

A visit to the city of Talcahuano is next up, in what will be a very difficult match against 6th place Huachipatp in front of the TV cameras. We can't afford to slip up again.

Our preperations for the game with Huachipato took another blow this week.

Luis Maselli the Argentine coach who had been at the club since I've been here was approached by Argentine Premier Division club Colon. We offered Luis an improved deal in a bid to keep him at the club but he decided to move back to Argentina.

On the transfer front, a DMC called Alexis Jose Garcia who plays for Mineros de Guayana in Venezuela had attracted the attention of one of my scouts. We made an offer for £70,000 for him which was accepted but so too did M.L.S side Real Salt Lake. He agreed to join the American club but transfer restrictions saw the deal fall through. We again bid for Garcia and offered him terms. There's a good chance of him agreeing to join us and whilest he seems a very good player, I'm not entirely sure whether I can justify spending that sort of money on a player who really isn't essential.

Further news this week saw a reserve player at the club Jose Luis Estefo, mouth off to the press claiming that the reason he was getting selected in the first team was because I was inexperienced and didn't know a good player when I saw one.

Union San Felipe have a limited resources and a small playing squad, I cannot tolerate or be seen to encourage such views from my own players. I decided to fine Estefo 2 weeks wages for his outburst and place him on the transfer list. He apologised the next day but I can't afford to have players should that level of disrespect to the club and he has no future with us.

Alexis Jose Garcia has agreed to join us in July, claiming is looking forward to playing at a higher level. We have asked if we can delay the deal for a week as I really need to decide whether he is an essential signing.

Our match away to Huachipato continued our run with 3 games without a win.

Reyes again put us ahead after just 2 mins but it took just minutes for Huachipato to level. They continued to pressure us and again our stand in keeper Mancilla pulled of some remarkable saves. We had a great spell of possesion late on in the first half and as the half time whistle blew I felt we could push for our second goal.

We never really got going in the second half, we could only create half chances and Huachipato were a constant thread with their pace up front. This was to finally out-do us, as we conceeded another goal on 63 mins. We again saw plenty of the ball but again failed to carve out any clear cut opportunities. Subsitute Jara was sent off for the home side with ten mins to go for a wild challenge and we pushed on even more. Again we failed to make anything of our posession and Huachipato were deserved winners with the that game finishing 2-1.

The only positive not to come from today was the form of Mancilla our goalkeeper. Some great saves ensured we kept ourselves in the game and with our first choice keeper injured it is a big weight of our shoulders knowing we have sufficent back up.

We seem to of lost our early form and I'm seriously contemplating going with 4-4-2 which will enable us to get more bodies into the box.

Our forthcoming games are-

H - Cobresal

A - Santiago Wanderers (TV)

H - Colo Colo

It's hard to say where we'll be after these three games, the prospect of playing Colo Colo who're still undefeated is daunting to say the least. Cobresal and Santiago Wanderers are both midtable but could really give us a go if our current form is anything to go by.

A healthy win at home to Cobresal could change all that though.

After the last few games I felt that even though we were seeing plenty of the ball, our options in the final third were too limited with having Reyes operating alone up front. Our league position wasn't a true reflection of our ability and with Cobresal being a position above us with (in our opinion) a considerably weaker squad, it was vital we imposed ourselves onto the game.

We decided to abandon our 5 man midfield to accomadate an extra forward. Whilest our starting XI stayed the same from our defeat with Huachipato, Luis Nunez was given a forward role alongside Reyes.

Cobresal were sent home empty handed as we got back to winning ways with a 1-0 win at Municipal de San Felipe.

The opening 20 minutes was the best we'd played for sometime. Pushing Cobresal back deep into their half and dominating possesion. Despite this we failed to get our goal. Although we couldn't continue our early pressure, we went in at the break 0-0 but happy with our performance despite having the goals to show for it.

We started well again in the second half and finally our pressure paid off, as Fierro swung in a deep corner Cobresal were unorganized and their defender scored an own goal.

We continued our pressure and I decided to make a change

with out-of-sorts Reyes coming off for striker Armijo. With the game drawing to a close we made a couple more changes with Colo Colo loanee Juan Pablo Arenas coming into the midfield and captain Valladares coming off for Jamie Lira at left back.

Cobresal pushed forward and managed to break away clear with minutes to go only for a shot to beat Mancilla in goal but to smash against the crossbar for our defence to clear. It would of been extremely harsh if Cobresal had scored as they were lucky enough to only be 1-0 down!

A slightly lower crowd of 2,460 saw the game come to an end and I was happy with the level of performance today despite the lack of goals. The result is the perfect to begin our preperation for next weeks televised game at Santiago Wanders who find themselves 16th in the league.

A fairly good week leading up to the Santiago game saw first choice GK Omar Acros return to training from injury and DMC Alexis Jose Garcia's transfer to us from Venezuelan outfit Mineros de Guayana was confirmed for July.

Although back in full training Acros isn't fit enough to be in contention for Saturday so Mancilla will continue.

Alexis Jose Garcia's arrival was taken after a great deal of thought by myself as a DMC wasn't top of our priority list. I think sometimes you have to take opportunities when they come your way and after originally losing out to him to Real Salt Lake in America only for the deal to fall through last minute; I become determined to bring him to Union San Felipe.

We went with the same formation and team and which started against Cobresal except Robledo came in after returning from injury to replace Munoz at centre back. It was to be a good decision as he was awarded man of the match for his performance in our comfortable 2-0 win!

The watch changed early on after a Santiago Wanderers centre back was sent off as he was the last man when he brought down Reyes broke away through on goal in only the five minute just outside the box.

With a man advantage we pressed forward as Los Wanderers started to become less and less of a threat to us. Luiz Nunez put us in front in the 41st minute then we doubled our lead on 44 mins at Celedon turned and finished superbly.

We continued to press again throughout the second half and never lost control of game. The 2-0 victory was a great follow up from the previous week and saw us move up into 4th in the table and extend Wanderers run to 8 games without a win. Better still Union Espanola beat Rangers 3-1 and Huachipato only managed a 2-2 draw at home to struggling Concepcion. This means we are now joint top of our sub group with just 5 games remaining and are 8 points clear of third placed Rangers.

Results this weekend have eased alot of pressure on us to qualify for the playoff rounds of the Opening League but we have it all to do next Sunday as still undefeated Colo Colo visit Municipal de San Felipe in what will be our most challenging game yet. This is worsened by the fact our regular left winger Gonzalo Fierro and AMRC Juan Pablo Arenas are on loan from the Santiago club meaning that they are both ineligible for the game.

On a positive note though, we should have a big crowd behind us and if the game we played against Universidad de Chile earlier in the season is anything to go by we will a chance.

A big decision will be who will start as GK. Omar Acros our first choice has returned from injury and should be fit enough to play but Gonzalo Mancilla has stepped into the team and has been in good form. Left Wing will also be an open position with Fierro out.

If the San Felipe public turn out and get behind us it should be a great game!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by axeman:

Basically the only thing missing is the potential womanising exploits by the manager, since he's an Englishman stuck among the hot women of Brazil icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn wish I'd thought of that for my story! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd take heart from the fact the response has been minimal, you know that way there is nothing wrong with it. I for one am enjoying it icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">since he's an Englishman stuck among the hot women of Brazil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Chile man!!! hahaha

I will carry on then, thanks alot.

The visit of Colo Colo was to be one of the biggest games of my managerial career so far.

With a record of P14 W10 D4 in the league, and arriving in San Felipe after a midweek 1-1 draw with Argentine giants River Plate, the Los Albos certainly wouldn't be short of confidence.

We on the other hand, had won our previous two games without conceeding a goal and had turned around a slight blip in our form.

Municipal de San Felipe had it's biggest crowd of the season with 4,831 supporters to see how we'd manage against the League favourites.

We made one change to the team, with our captain Valladares pushing up into left to replace the ineligible Fierro and reserve player Lira filled in at full back. We decided to stick to our more attacking formation of 4-4-2 rather than revert back to our rigid 4-5-1. Gonzalo Mancilla continued in goal with Omar Acros on the bench after recovering from injury.

From the minute we kicked off, we looked positive and settled, defensively we looked solid and our midfield was working hard and constantly looking to pick out our forward men Nunez and Reyes. The Colo Colo defence were penetrated after just 10mins as Nunez burst through their defence and finished past their keeper, putting us in front and sending the Union San Felipe supporters crazy! We were in front!!

As Colo Colo kicked off, we again made life as difficult as possible for them as we continued looking lively and confident, this paid off when Nunez again found himself through on goal on 16mins and doubled our advantage, 2-0!!!

We were in dream land, Colo Colo had their fair share of opportunities but we looked solid all over the field and were looking the better side. This was evident when on 29mins our pacey foward Patrico Reyes burst through and made it 3-0 with a clinical finish. Unbelivable...

Colo Colo piled the pressure on and got rewarded minutes later when their Brazilian midfielder Leonardo had his shot parried by our keeper, defender Ahumada turned the ball in, scoring an own goal. 3-1.

We continued to match whatever Colo Colo threw at us and as the whistle went for half time, I honestly couldn't belive what I had seen.

It was important we didn't let our performance dip in the second half as another goal to Colo Colo would put them right back in the game, but we remained focused and determinded. Luiz Nunez almost completed his hatrick early in the second half only to see the linesman flagging for offside, and as we had our chances, Colo Colo had theirs forcing Mancilla pull off some solid saves.

As the clocked got closer and closer to full time, Colo Colo spread themselves more and did begin to look like they'd snatch a second goal but each time we won the ball we'd create a chance and began to look like we'd score as well. With Nunez picking up a knock I brought on DMC Juan Carlos Espinoza and went to a more cautous 4-5-1 for the remaining 5 minutes or so. This worked as Colo Colo were unable to create any clear cut chances for the remainder of the game. The full time whistle went and we had beaten the undefeated league leaders 3-1!!!

I was absolutely delighted with the performance and comittment shown by the players today. We'd taken on the best team in league and played superbly. The result sees us remain 4th but puts us just three points behind second placed Universidad Catolica.

We look unbeatable right now, but have it all to do in our next game as we visit 8th placed Everton (another TV game)who's form has dipped of late. We then visit mid table Palestino before home games with Coquimbo Unido. Our final game of the Opening stage see us visit lowly Puerto Montt, which we should by then have qualification for the play-off phase sealed up.

The Colo Colo game.

Following our shock victory over Colo Colo, we have found ourselves in the media spotlight in the built up to our forthcoming game with Everton.

Everton boss, Hugo Vidal warns us that he side are full of confidence and fear nobody. I decided to let him know that his club need to be beating the leagues bigger clubs before coming out boasting about their chances. Vidal the replied that he has no time for speculation about the game!

No major team news ahead of the game, despite picking up a knock against Colo Colo Luis Nunez should be fit enough to play.

I really fancy our chances against Everton. Despite them being 8th in the league, they really do have a good squad but with the performances we've put in over the last three games we should feel able to compete with any club at this level. I'll be happy to take a point from the game but a victory would be sweet particularly with the comments made Hugo Vidal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mavericktango:

well done icon14.gif

love finding out about far off leagues, this has a good level of detail KUTGW </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I had no real knowledge of Chilean football myself, but found writing this story made me pay far more attention to the rest of the game other than my side.

I never expected us to do so well against Colo Colo!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colorado:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">since he's an Englishman stuck among the hot women of Brazil </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Chile man!!! hahaha

I will carry on then, thanks alot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ooops. My bad icon_redface.gif

Well, you could use the women of Chile then, they're not too bad looking either I'm told icon_wink.gif

The last time I visited Vina del Mar it was to meet Union San Felipe chairman Rodrigo Oliver about the possibilty of managing the club.

This trip to Vina del Mar wasn't to be as productive though, as we slumped to a disappointing 3-2 defeat.

It was our performance in the first 20 mins which was our undoing, as we went 2-0 down within 13 mins. We managed to make it 2-1 when Celedon burst from midfield to finish with a powerful shot. Then in what should of been the turning point of the game, Everton had their defender sent off for bringing down Reyes as he sprinted past him towards goal on 26 mins. As we piled forward, their ever lively lone striker, Villalon notched up his second goal on the break in the 36th minute. Nelson San Martin saw his fantastic free kick sail in past the Everton keeper from 30 yards out to make it 2-2 five minutes later, which send us in at half time 3-2 down.

The first 20 minutes had been particularly poor and we now needed to score twice if were to win. We attacked and attacked throughout the second half but Everton defended with everything, with their keeper forced to make a string of saves. In a final attempt to find an equaliser we went 3-5-2 with Juan Pablo Arenas playing behind the front two, again we failed with the final ball. The last ten minutes saw Everton killing us much time as possible and the referee blew up much to their relief as the match finished 3-2.

We travelled back to San Felipe wondering how we managed to lose the game. After our last three games today's result was disappointing.

Archived