[FM10] Travelling into the unknown...

iseemonsters1

Another thread i've been quietly following with interest. Good to see some leagues being played that I/the majority of us know nothing about. I like playing in countries where I have to learn the rules as I go along :thup:.

Good to see you having some success :thup:. Is there one particular club you want to go to/end up at during this save?

Great update style too. Nice, clean and easy to read and follow :thup:.

Thanks Raware! :D I also enjoy playing in leagues that I know very little about - and you often learn quite a lot about football from that country by playing there in FM. Since playing a really good Uruguayan save in FM08 I pay quite close attention to Uruguayan football, even watching it on TV whenever I can.

I don't have one particular club in mind, but I included the Greek and Ukrainian leagues as mid-to-large European leagues that could be the culmination of my career. A club like Olympiakos or Dinamo Kiev might be a fun place to end up. Really, I'd like to have a crack at all the continental competitions from the different continents during the course of my career. I'm not expecting to win them all, of course, but getting to participate in them all is the goal.

It took a few seasons to get the update style how I wanted it, but I definitely like it the way it is now - I'm glad you do too!

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - December 2013 Update

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - December 7th 2013[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  1   0   LDU de Quito[/b]
Carlos Fernandez (38)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - December 21st 2013[/i]
[b]Aucas                      1   0   Barcelona[/b]
Jorge Andres Jaramillo (90+3)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - December 28th 2013[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   0   Tecnico Universitario[/b]
Marco Andia (27)
Carlos Fernandez (40)

Notes: Another mixed month for us results wise. We started with a great win at home to LDU de Quito to overtake them at the top of the table. They had gone unbeaten since we defeated them on the opening game of the season, but we put on another defensive masterclass, and a great goal from Argentinian midfielder Carlos Fernandez was enough to snap their streak of 10 games without losing.

But it was a different story when we faced Aucas, as we just failed to turn up. It looked like despite our disappointing performance, we'd at least come away with a point that would keep us on top of the league on goal difference... until Jaramillo scored for Aucas in the third minute of injury time to undo all our good work and put us back in second place.

Fortunately, the following week our cross-town rivals Emelec did us a favour by grabbing a draw with LDU de Quito, which meant that our comfortable defeat of relegation threatened Tecnico Universitario put us back in first place by one point. Speaking of relegation, it's an incredibly tight league this year. Ourselves and LDU de Quito are a little way ahead of the pack, and the title race is likely to be between us. But only five points separate third and last place in the table - virtually anyone except the top two could easily be in relegation danger with a poor run of results.

Andrezinho is becoming increasingly hard to keep at the club - I turned down an insulting £1.7m bid from River Plate, but there have been several managers from top Brazilian teams attending my games to watch him, and realistically I think it's only a matter of time before we lose him.

Pos      Team                    P   W   D   L   GF  GA   GD   Pts
------------------------------------------------------------------
[b]1st      Barcelona               14  9   2   3   21  9   +12   29[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            14  8   4   2   25  14  +11   28
3rd      El Nacional             14  5   5   4   19  15   +4   20
4th      Emelec                  14  5   4   5   23  19   +4   19
5th      Macara                  14  5   4   5   14  11   +3   19
6th      Deportivo Quito         14  4   5   5   14  15   -1   17
7th      Olmedo                  14  4   5   5   19  27   -8   17
8th      Aucas                   14  4   4   6   17  18   -1   16
9th      Espoli                  14  4   4   6   10  16   -6   16
10th     LDU de Portoviejo       14  3   7   4   14  16   -2   16
11th     Tecnico Universitario   14  5   1   8   11  19   -8   16
12th     Manta                   14  4   3   7   18  26   -8   15

Been watching this thread for a while, and nice work with the other Barca. :thup:

Andrezinho just looks like a fantastic player. A bargain at 650k. :eek:

What are your computer specs? I see that you didn't load a lot of leagues and also on a small DB. And why didn't you load MLS? :D

Been watching this thread for a while, and nice work with the other Barca.

Andrezinho just looks like a fantastic player. A bargain at 650k. :eek:

What are your computer specs? I see that you didn't load a lot of leagues and also on a small DB. And why didn't you load MLS? :D

Thanks rancer! Andrezinho was a great buy, and he's definitely been living up to his stats so far - the problem is going to be keeping him at the club, since he's already demanding to leave and I'm fighting off bids for him after just 6 months. I don't like to keep players at the club who don't want to be here, but I also want to make sure I get a fair price for him.

I'm playing on a Mac - a Macbook with a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of RAM. I really like my game to move nice and quickly, and adding any more leagues would have tipped the expected game speed below 2.5 stars. If I could change anything about my setup, I probably would have retained more international players, so I had more chances to get into international management.

Even living in America, I still don't fully understand the MLS! :D But I make it a goal to have a long term game in the MLS in every FM, so maybe I'll include it in my next career. ;)

Thanks rancer! Andrezinho was a great buy, and he's definitely been living up to his stats so far - the problem is going to be keeping him at the club, since he's already demanding to leave and I'm fighting off bids for him after just 6 months. I don't like to keep players at the club who don't want to be here, but I also want to make sure I get a fair price for him.

I'm playing on a Mac - a Macbook with a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of RAM. I really like my game to move nice and quickly, and adding any more leagues would have tipped the expected game speed below 2.5 stars. If I could change anything about my setup, I probably would have retained more international players, so I had more chances to get into international management.

Even living in America, I still don't fully understand the MLS! :D But I make it a goal to have a long term game in the MLS in every FM, so maybe I'll include it in my next career. ;)

Set a price for him and when someone meets it, sell him off. :)

That's similar to the specs I have, without the Macbook. My career game is 1-1.5 stars but it's running fine. You only loaded the top tier league of the 12 countries?

MLS combines the Drafts, waivers, and trades, with European style money transfers. It pleases soccer traditionalists with Americans that understand the systems already in place with the other sports. You'll get it eventually. :p

Set a price for him and when someone meets it, sell him off. :)

That's similar to the specs I have, without the Macbook. My career game is 1-1.5 stars but it's running fine. You only loaded the top tier league of the 12 countries?

MLS combines the Drafts, waivers, and trades, with European style money transfers. It pleases soccer traditionalists with Americans that understand the systems already in place with the other sports. You'll get it eventually. :p

That's a good plan - he's currently worth £1m, but I was thinking more in the £3.5m to £4m region. The only actual bid that's come in so far was £1.7m from River Plate, which I negotiated up to £4m - of course, they withdrew their bid and now Andrezinho is annoyed that I wouldn't give him permission to talk to them.

In retrospect, I definitely could have been more generous with the leagues I loaded. I think that loading in the smaller countries like Costa Rica and New Zealand gave me some good starting options so I didn't need to add in lower divisions than that - that was the theory, at least. When I set up my next game, I'll try it with a few more leagues/divisions.

I think one of the hard things about managing in the MLS is figuring out the value of draft picks and how to get a fair trade arranged - I know that's something other people have said too. Maybe I'll start a career game just in the MLS, and you can be my special advisor to tell me when I make stupid trades! :p

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - January 2014 Update

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - January 11th 2014[/i]
[b]Deportivo Quito            0   0   Barcelona[/b]

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - January 19th 2014[/i]
[b]Espoli                     1   2   Barcelona[/b]
Pablo Morales (22)                 Jose Montiel (17)
                                  Sergio Sepulveda (pen 68)

Notes: A couple of scrappy games this month - Deportivo Quito are a good side and a draw away from home isn't a bad result - but it was enough for Deportivo's cross-town rivals LDU to overtake us again at the top. Espoli are definitely a team we should beat, and while we hardly performed spectacularly, we ground out the result we needed - Montiel again coming through with a key goal, and Colombian international Sepulveda, one of my first signings at the club, got the winning penalty.

Just to prove what I was saying in my last update about the league being ridiculously tight, Tecnico Universitario went from 11th to 4th, and 5 points is still all that separates 3rd from last place.

6 games to go in the league, but we're going to start getting involved in the Copa Libertadores next month, so we're really going to have to rise to the challenge of overhauling LDU de Quito in the league, and giving a good account of ourselves in the continental competition.

1st      LDU de Quito            16  10  4   2   29  15  +14   34
[b]2nd      Barcelona               16  10  3   3   23  10  +13   33[/b]
3rd      Macara                  16  6   4   6   18  15   +3   22
4th      Tecnico Universitario   16  7   1   8   18  20   -2   22
5th      El Nacional             16  5   5   6   19  18   +1   20
6th      Emelec                  16  5   5   6   25  24   +1   20
7th      Deportivo Quito         16  4   7   5   15  16   -1   19
8th      Espoli                  16  5   4   7   14  20   -6   19
9th      Manta                   16  5   4   7   19  26   -7   19
10th     Olmedo                  16  4   6   6   20  31  -11   18
11th     Aucas                   16  4   5   7   20  22   -2   17
12th     LDU de Portoviejo       16  3   8   5   16  19   -3   17

That's a good plan - he's currently worth £1m, but I was thinking more in the £3.5m to £4m region. The only actual bid that's come in so far was £1.7m from River Plate, which I negotiated up to £4m - of course, they withdrew their bid and now Andrezinho is annoyed that I wouldn't give him permission to talk to them.

In retrospect, I definitely could have been more generous with the leagues I loaded. I think that loading in the smaller countries like Costa Rica and New Zealand gave me some good starting options so I didn't need to add in lower divisions than that - that was the theory, at least. When I set up my next game, I'll try it with a few more leagues/divisions.

I think one of the hard things about managing in the MLS is figuring out the value of draft picks and how to get a fair trade arranged - I know that's something other people have said too. Maybe I'll start a career game just in the MLS, and you can be my special advisor to tell me when I make stupid trades! :p

Actually I find trading very simple. It's like real life: if you have assets that the other club wants, that's a starting point at least. MLS clubs aren't going to just give up their stars for peanuts. Be fair to the trading process, and the process will be fair to you. As for draft picks, 1st Rounders are worth a lot (more than 2nd, 3rd, 4th combined), so if you really want a player, don't mind offering up a 1st Round Pick to seal the deal. :)

As for putting values on a draft pick/player, I would just say if he's wanted by someone I would just trade him if he can get me the player I want. :)

Actually I find trading very simple. It's like real life: if you have assets that the other club wants, that's a starting point at least. MLS clubs aren't going to just give up their stars for peanuts. Be fair to the trading process, and the process will be fair to you. As for draft picks, 1st Rounders are worth a lot (more than 2nd, 3rd, 4th combined), so if you really want a player, don't mind offering up a 1st Round Pick to seal the deal. :)

As for putting values on a draft pick/player, I would just say if he's wanted by someone I would just trade him if he can get me the player I want. :)

Thanks rancer! That's good advice, I'll keep it in mind when I next make an attempt at playing in the MLS. :D I think sometimes I just feel like I'm ripping myself off making deals. How good is the quality of draft players that come through in the MLS in FM10?

Well, the Copa Libertadores groups have been drawn:

[b][i]Copa Libertadores Group F[/i][/b]

Corinthians (Brazil)
Cerro Porteno (Paraguay)
[b]Barcelona (Ecuador)[/b]
Universidad de Chile (Chile)

Overall, I think it's a pretty decent draw - especially after the sort of teams we were taking on and beating in the Copa Sudamericana. Can't be too overconfident though - you know what pride comes before... :D

Thanks rancer! That's good advice, I'll keep it in mind when I next make an attempt at playing in the MLS. :D I think sometimes I just feel like I'm ripping myself off making deals. How good is the quality of draft players that come through in the MLS in FM10?

Draft quality? After the top 5 there's really no one good every year. I always pick between 13 and 15 so I always trade my 1st Rounders. The youth intake players are a lot better anyways, making drafts obsolete. :D

Interesting group there. Corinthians will be very tough and so is the Chilean team. But you're Barca ;). Best of luck. :thup:

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - February 2014 Update

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - February 1st 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  1   1   Olmedo[/b]
Marco Andia (3)                    Elvis Ayala (26)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - February 22nd 2014[/i]
[b]Emelec                     0   3   Barcelona[/b]
                                  Marco Barreto (10)
                                  Camilo David Hurtado (48)
                                  Marco Andia (65)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group F - February 26th 2014[/i]
[b]Universidad de Chile       0   2   Barcelona[/b]
                                  Carlos Fernandez (11)
                                  Andres Diaz (53)

Notes: A good month this time around, as LDU de Quito could only manage two draws in their two games, which meant that our draw with Olmedo and our convincing win over derby rivals Emelec was enough to put us back on top of the league. Barreto has been really good this season overall, but he's been going through a bit of a dry spell recently so it was good to see him get on the scoresheet again.

Universidad de Chile I suspect will be the weakest team in our group in the Libertadores, so it was nice that we managed to get a comfortable win over them away from home with the minimum of fuss. Cerro Porteno got a win over group favourites Corinthians, which perhaps means that Corinthians won't be as tough as I'm expecting - but Cerro Porteno might be tougher. We'll find out next month, when we play both of them in the space of a week.

[b]1st      Barcelona               18  11  4   3   27  11  +16   37[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            18  10  6   2   31  17  +14   36
3rd      Macara                  18  8   4   6   22  16   +6   28
4th      El Nacional             18  6   5   7   22  20   +2   23
5th      Manta                   18  6   5   7   23  28   -5   23
6th      Deportivo Quito         18  5   7   6   17  18   -1   22
7th      Espoli                  18  6   4   8   16  23   -7   22
8th      Tecnico Universitario   18  7   1   10  19  25   -6   22
9th      Aucas                   18  5   6   7   22  22    0   21
10th     Emelec                  18  5   5   8   25  29   -4   20
11th     LDU de Portoviejo       18  3   10  5   17  20   -3   19
12th     Olmedo                  18  4   7   7   21  33  -12   19

[b]1st      Barcelona               1   1   0   0   2   0    +2   3[/b]
2nd      Cerro Porteno           1   1   0   0   2   1    +1   3
3rd      Corinthians             1   0   0   1   1   2    -1   0
4th      Universidad de Chile    1   0   0   1   0   2    -2   0

Just got an approach from Ismaily SC in Egypt - having just sacked another Uruguayan manager, Alvaro Recoba, they thought that I could be the manager to lift them up from 11th in the league and back into the African Champions League, a competition they won a couple of years ago. They're offering a transfer budget of £5.25m and a wage budget of £61k p/w.

It's a tempting offer, and I suspect that my next move will be to Africa one way or another - either Egypt or the Ivory Coast - but I definitely have unfinished business in Ecuador right now. So I've turned it down - I'm sure there will be opportunities when the time is right for me to move on. :thup:

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - March 2014 Update

[i]Copa Libertadores Group F - March 12th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  3   1   Cerro Porteno[/b]
Marco Barreto (6)                  Jeison Ibarrola (19)
Jose Montiel (23)
Carlos Fernandez (65)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - March 15th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   0   Macara[/b]
Marco Barreto (19, 90)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group F - March 19th 2014[/i]
[b]Corinthians                2   2   Barcelona[/b]
Robin Quinto (15, 77)              Marco Barreto (49)
                                  Marco Andia (90)

Notes: LDU de Quito continued their run of three successive draws, so victory in our one league game this month allowed us to extend our lead at the top from one point to three. Beating third place Macara was a big result for us, especially since they defeated us earlier in the season. There's no doubt about it though - this year's league campaign has been much closer and much more intense than last season - mainly thanks to the much stronger performance by LDU de Quito this time around.

In the Libertadores, we had two really good results, getting a vital victory over Cerro Porteno, who look like they are likely to be one of our toughest opponents for qualification from Group F, and then a hard fought and thoroughly deserved draw against Corinthians. I'm sure that Corinthians can still get back into it, but we've got to be pleased with our performance so far - half way through the group stage, and with the away game against Corinthians over (which we might have pinpointed as our toughest game before the group stage started), we have to like our chances of qualification.

[b]1st      Barcelona               19  12  4   3   29  11  +18   40[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            19  10  7   2   32  18  +14   37
3rd      Macara                  19  8   4   7   22  18   +4   28
4th      El Nacional             19  7   5   7   25  22   +3   26
5th      Aucas                   19  6   6   7   24  23   +1   24
6th      Espoli                  19  6   5   8   17  24   -7   23
7th      Manta                   19  6   5   8   24  30   -6   23
8th      Deportivo Quito         19  5   7   7   19  21   -2   22
9th      LDU de Portoviejo       19  4   10  5   20  20    0   22
10th     Olmedo                  19  5   7   7   24  33   -9   22
11th     Tecnico Universitario   19  7   1   11  19  28   -9   22
12th     Emelec                  19  5   5   9   25  32   -7   20

[b]1st      Barcelona               3   2   1   0   7   3    +4   7[/b]
2nd      Cerro Porteno           3   2   0   1   6   5    +1   6
3rd      Corinthians             3   0   2   1   3   4    -1   2
4th      Universidad de Chile    3   0   1   2   1   5    -4   1

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - April 2014 Update

[i]Copa Libertadores Group F - April 2nd 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  1   1   Corinthians[/b]
Marco Barreto (24)                 Pastor Torrez (68)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - April 6th 2014[/i]
[b]El Nacional                2   4   Barcelona[/b]
Denis Bozada (29)                  Marco Barreto (14)
Wilson Marino (65)                 Andres Diaz (21, pen 90+1)
                                  Marco Andia (59)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group F - April 16th 2014[/i]
[b]Cerro Porteno              2   0   Barcelona[/b]
Bladimiro Duarte (pen 79)
Digno Gonzalez (86)

[i]Copa Libertadores Group F - April 23rd 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   1   Universidad de Chile[/b]
Marco Barreto (13, 55)             Daniel Garcia (66)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - April 26th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   1   LDU de Portoviejo[/b]
Jorge Majao (14)                   Juan Manuel Carini (26)
Marco Andia (88)

[i]Copa Libertadores 2nd Round Leg 1 - April 30th 2014[/i]
[b]Aurora                     1   2   Barcelona[/b]
Nelvin Soliz (68)                  Camilo David Hurtado (16)
                                  Carlos Fernandez (25)

Notes: It was just the defeat away to Cerro Porteno in the Copa Libertadores that spoiled what was otherwise a really good month. We started it off with our home game against Corinthians, and we secured another hard fought draw. Corinthians weren't firing on all cylinders in this season's Copa Libertadores, but they certainly put up a good fight every time we played them, and a draw was a good result.

Back in the league, we were away to El Nacional, currently an upper mid-table side. For once, our defence wasn't on spectacular form - but the attack made up for it, scoring four goals and sending us home with a 4-2 win to maintain our 3 point lead at the top.

Cerro Porteno turned out to be the toughest team in our Libertadores group, so losing to them away wasn't a disaster by any means. Fortunately, while we were losing to the Paraguayans, Corinthians could only manage to draw away to Universidad de Chile, which meant that we had qualified from Group F despite the defeat. We finished up our Libertadores group stage campaign with a routine win against Universidad de Chile, while Cerro Porteno went down to defeat away to Corinthians, meaning we would top Group F.

Back in the league, we faced relegation threatened LDU de Portoviejo, and needed a late goal from defensive midfielder Marco Andia to keep our three point lead intact. With just one game to play now, and a superior goal difference, we definitely have to be favourites to retain the title on the last day of the season. Nothing is guaranteed, and it is still totally possible that LDU de Quito can snatch it from us - but I can tell you I'd rather be in our position than theirs - at least our fate is in our hands.

In the Copa Libertadores 2nd Round, we were drawn against Bolivian side Aurora, who had finished second in Group D, knocking River Plate out of the competition in the process. But there were tougher teams we could have been drawn against in the 2nd Round, and after grabbing two away goals and an aggregate advantage, I'm hopeful we can progress to the quarter finals.

[b]1st      Barcelona               21  14  4   3   35  14  +21   46[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            21  12  7   2   37  19  +18   43
3rd      Macara                  21  9   4   8   24  20   +4   31
4th      Olmedo                  21  7   7   7   28  33   -5   28
5th      Aucas                   21  7   6   8   28  27   +1   27
6th      El Nacional             21  7   5   9   27  29   -2   26
7th      Espoli                  21  7   5   9   20  27   -7   26
8th      Manta                   21  6   7   8   26  32   -6   25
9th      Deportivo Quito         21  5   9   7   20  22   -2   24
10th     LDU de Portoviejo       21  4   11  6   21  22   -1   23
11th     Tecnico Universitario   21  7   2   12  20  32  -12   23
12th     Emelec                  21  5   5   11  26  35   -9   20

[b]1st   Q  Barcelona               6   3   2   1   10  7    +3   11[/b]
2nd   Q  Cerro Porteno           6   3   1   2   8   7    +1   10
3rd      Corinthians             6   1   4   1   7   6    +1   7
4th      Universidad de Chile    6   0   3   3   3   8    -5   3

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - May 2014 Update

[i]Copa Libertadores 2nd Round Leg 2 - May 7th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  3   1   Aurora[/b]
Marco Barreto (12)                 Herman Galarza (44)
Carlos Fernandez (31)
Camilo David Hurtado (45+1)

[i]Copa Libertadores Quarter Final Leg 1 - May 14th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  1   1   Sao Paulo[/b]
Marco Barreto (59)                 Pablo Zeballos (17)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - May 17th 2014[/i]
[b]Manta                      0   1   Barcelona[/b]
                                  Marco Barreto (28)

[i]Copa Libertadores Quarter Final Leg 2 - May 21st 2014[/i]
[b]Sao Paulo                  3   3   Barcelona[/b]
Coutinho (55, 81)                  Marco Barreto (44)
Jose Alfredo Castillo (68)         Andrezinho (pen 72)
                                  Camilo David Hurtado (76)

Notes: Another great month. We already had a 2-1 lead going into the second leg against Aurora, and by the end of the first half our qualification was secured, leading 5-2 on aggregate, so much so that the second half was devoid of any meaningful action. But our fans were happy to use the time to get the party started as we made our way into the Quarter Finals of the Copa Libertadores.

The draw was not that kind to us though, as we would face Sao Paulo in the next round. But Sao Paulo hadn't been spectacularly good yet in this season's tournament, despite their obviously talented squad - they came through what was probably the easiest group in the league stage, and then needed away goals to overcome Colombian side Junior in the Second Round. For the first half of the first leg, their quality really shone through, and they went in at half time 1-0 up. But we really came back at them in the second half, and Marco Barreto got the goal that earned us a draw we deserved on our second half performance.

Back in the domestic league, it was time to wrap things up, and we made no mistakes with another solid defensive performance and another goal from Marco Barreto to give us a 1-0 win over Manta- a fitting way to win the league, since it was the defence's quality and Barreto's goals which made a major contribution to putting us on top of the table. LDU de Quito did their best to make sure that they would take the title if we slipped up with a 4-1 win, but it wasn't enough for them and Barcelona would be champions for the second year in a row! :D At the other end of the table, we'll have no derby games next season as Emelec finished in last place and were relegated from the top division.

The most amazing game of the season though came next, as we went into the away leg of our Copa Libertadores Quarter Final against Sao Paulo. The Ecuadorian fans who made the journey to Brazil were celebrating wildly as yet another Barreto goal just before half time gave us a 2-1 aggregate lead and a vital away goal. The Brazilians were hardly going to go down without a fight in front of their own fans, equalising on 55 minutes, and then finally taking the 3-2 aggregate lead after 68 minutes thanks to lax defending on our part. Our own Brazilian, left back Andrezinho, broke some of his compatriots hearts when he coolly slotted home a controversial penalty after 72 minutes, levelling the tie at 3-3 and giving us the lead on away goals. And even better was to come as the old warhorse Camilo David Hurtado gave us the outright lead on the night and on aggregate with just 14 minutes to go. Sao Paulo threw everything they had at us for that final quarter of an hour, and when they equalised with less than 10 minutes to go, it was edge-of-the-seat time - but we clung on by our fingertips to dump Sao Paulo out of the Copa Libertadores and see ourselves through to the Semi-Final. :D

The final piece of good news for the month is that the Semi-Final has seen us drawn against fellow Ecuadorian side LDU de Quito. Having beaten them both home and away in the league this season, and overcome a strong challenge from them to win the Ecuadorian league title, incredibly I think we now have to be considered favourites to reach the final of the Copa Libertadores! :eek: We can't take anything for granted though, and I know LDU will be doing everything they can to exact some revenge on us for the league campaign. Now we have a month off to prepare for what must be the club's biggest games for several decades.

[b]1st   C  Barcelona               22  15  4   3   36  14  +22   49[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            22  13  7   2   41  20  +21   46
3rd      Macara                  22  10  4   8   27  21   +6   34
4th      Olmedo                  22  8   7   7   30  34   -4   31
5th      El Nacional             22  8   5   9   28  29   -1   29
6th      Aucas                   22  7   6   9   28  28    0   27
7th      Espoli                  22  7   5   10  21  30   -9   26
8th      Tecnico Universitario   22  8   2   12  21  32  -11   26
9th      Manta                   22  6   7   9   26  33   -7   25
10th     Deportivo Quito         22  5   9   8   21  26   -5   24
11th  R  LDU de Portoviejo       22  4   11  7   22  24   -2   23
12th  R  Emelec                  22  5   5   12  26  36  -10   20

You just keep on winning! Looks like you have a great chance of making the Libertadores final. Who are your potentail opponents? The two-legged finals in South America make an upset a little more difficult but once you are there, who knows? It's still anybody's game. ;)

You just keep on winning! Looks like you have a great chance of making the Libertadores final. Who are your potentail opponents? The two-legged finals in South America make an upset a little more difficult but once you are there, who knows? It's still anybody's game. ;)

I know - I keep expecting to start crashing and burning! :D Actually, the most pleasing thing has been having a really solid defence at both teams so far - that is normally not my strong point in FM! Now if only I could figure out what I'm doing differently... :p

The possible Libertadores opponents are Internacional and Chivas - both of which I think would be really tough opponents.

Now this is an interesting offer - Ukrainian side Metalist Kharkiv have offered me a four year contract on £2,100 p/w to take over. The transfer budget is £10.25m and the wage budget is £225k p/w. They've finished 4th, 3rd, and 4th in the last three years, and I guess they're looking for me to maintain that standard and maybe take a step up into the top two to qualify for the Champions League. If only the offer came after the Copa Libertadores was over for this season. Sadly, the semi-finals are still a month away - and I don't think Metalist will keep allowing me to delay the offer until then.

Going to have to think about this one for a bit...

I had to turn it down. I think if the offer had come after the end of the Copa Libertadores campaign, I might well have taken it. But I couldn't bear to leave the players before the biggest games of their careers!

I'm sure there will be other good offers later in my career. :thup:

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - July 2014 Update

[i]Copa Libertadores Semi Final Leg 1 - July 2nd 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   0   LDU de Quito[/b]
Gilbert Quinonez (45)
Jorge Majao (84)

[i]Copa Libertadores Semi Final Leg 2 - July 9th 2014[/i]
[b]LDU de Quito               2   0 p Barcelona[/b]
Israel Chango (20)
Ever Cantero (50)

[i]Copa Libertadores Final Leg 1 - July 16th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  0   1   Internacional[/b]
                                  Adalberto Roman (86)

[i]Copa Libertadores Final Leg 2 - July 23rd 2014[/i]
[b]Internacional              2   2   Barcelona[/b]
Sebastian Rusculleda (82)          Marco Barreto (24, 46)
Juan Carlos Arce (114)

Notes: No games in June, but July was a month in which we played some of the most important games in the club's history. The semi-final draw in the Copa Libertadores had been kind to us, drawing us against fellow Ecuadorian side LDU de Quito - a team we had a psychological advantage over after defeating them home and away in the league, and beating them to the league title on the last day of the season. But that also meant they would have every reason to try to get revenge!

We definitely took the upper hand in the first leg though, dominating the game and deserving more than the two goals we got, one from each of our central defenders at the end of each half. But LDU de Quito still had some fight left in them, and in the away leg they finally got the upper hand over us, scoring from two rare defensive slip ups to level the tie 2-2. We spent much of the second half trying to grab an elusive away goal that would have delivered us a win in normal time, but we just couldn't make the breakthrough, which meant that the tie would go to the lottery of penalties. Each side made all of their first four spot kicks, but then Angel Benitez stepped up for LDU de Quito and blasted it wide. Jorge Majao, who the fans had branded a "waste of money" when I signed him two seasons ago, made them eat their words as he coolly slotted home the decisive penalty to send us into the Copa Libertadores final.

We would face Internacional, who also had to go to penalties to reach the final after both legs of their semi-final against Chivas ended in 1-1 draws. The first leg of the Copa Libertadores final saw us playing at home in front of a full house - but the pressure got to us, and we didn't perform on the night. Still, the defence battled hard and we thought we'd done enough to secure at least a 0-0 draw out of the night, until Internacional grabbed a lucky goal with just four minutes remaining to grab a lead to take back to Brazil with them.

With nothing to lose in the second leg, and the pressure of the packed crowd off their shoulders, the players really showed what they could do in the second leg in Porto Alegre. We were by far the better team in the first half, and Marco Barreto got us something to show for it as he grabbed a goal after 24 minutes to level the tie. And incredibly, he notched a second right after the break to give Barcelona a fairytale lead. Now Internacional came at us, and our wonderful defence was put to a stern test - one which they almost passed with flying colours, until, with just 8 minutes separating us from a dream victory in the Copa Libertadores, Argentinian winger Sebastian Ruscudella fired home from outside the area to peg us back to 2-2 on aggregate. Apparently away goals don't make any difference in the Copa Libertadores final, and the game was going to extra time.

There were a lot of tired Barcelona legs out there during extra time, and then, with just six minutes of the game remaining, there were a lot of broken Barcelona hearts as well. Juan Carlos Arce hammered the ball into the top corner from the edge of the area, a wonder goal that neither the defence nor the goalkeeper could do anything about, and Internacional led the tie 3-2. We threw our last reserves of energy into trying to equalise, but we couldn't quite manage it, and the players were left crushed knowing they came so close to an epic victory.

barcelonasc.png

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A 2013/14 Review

Final Position: 1st

Copa Sudamericana: Semi-Final (defeated by Independiente)

Copa Libertadores: Runners-Up (defeated by Internacional)

[b]1st   C  Barcelona               22  15  4   3   36  14  +22   49[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            22  13  7   2   41  20  +21   46
3rd      Macara                  22  10  4   8   27  21   +6   34
4th      Olmedo                  22  8   7   7   30  34   -4   31
5th      El Nacional             22  8   5   9   28  29   -1   29
6th      Aucas                   22  7   6   9   28  28    0   27
7th      Espoli                  22  7   5   10  21  30   -9   26
8th      Tecnico Universitario   22  8   2   12  21  32  -11   26
9th      Manta                   22  6   7   9   26  33   -7   25
10th     Deportivo Quito         22  5   9   8   21  26   -5   24
11th  R  LDU de Portoviejo       22  4   11  7   22  24   -2   23
12th  R  Emelec                  22  5   5   12  26  36  -10   20

Copa Credife Primera A: A much more intense, more exciting, and more enjoyable domestic campaign this time around - with LDU de Quito battling us all the way to the last week of the season for the title. But, after trading the lead all year, we finally prevailed. Got to feel a little bit sorry for LDU - they only lost twice all season - but both times were against us, and it was those results that really hurt them in the end. Once again, we had the best defence in the league, and that has been one of the real pleasures of this game - producing a solid defence is not normally my specialist subject!

Marco Barreto was the league's top scorer, although he only managed a total of 11 goals in league games - a return of one goal every two games. I'm pleased with his contribution, although if he could manage to score a few more next season, that would be even better.

That is, if he sticks around next season. The vultures are circling, and I think we could see the back of most of the players I signed last summer by the end of the transfer window. Andrezinho, Marco Barreto, Carlos and Alcides Miranda are all attracting heavy interest, and are all starting to talk about moving to a bigger club. I have plenty of money to replace them, but finding players of a similar quality who want to move to Barcelona is going to be a challenge.

Continental Competitions: Spectacularly good showings in both of South America's continental club competitions, with a run to the semi-finals in the Copa Sudamericana and an even more impressive appearance in the final of the Copa Libertadores. It will take a bit of time for the players to recover from the crushing disappointment of the extra time defeat in the Copa Libertadores final, but this is obviously a good side capable of challenging some of the best teams on the continent - again, assuming I can keep the squad together. Marco Barreto was named top goalscorer in the Copa Libertadores, with 10 goals, and was runner up for the tournament's best player. It should probably come as no surprise that he was also named the Barcelona Fans' Player of the Year.

Next season: As I've said, if we can keep the squad together, we should be challenging on all fronts. But that's easier said than done. Honestly, despite turning down the offer from Metalist, I've had my "head turned" a little bit - I think it was the right decision to stay on for the Copa Libertadores games, but I've got to admit I'm starting to be on the lookout again for interesting job opportunities. Unlike when I decided to leave Perez Zeledon, I'm sure I'll stay on at Barcelona until I get a more interesting offer - but I can't guarantee I'll be turning any tempting teams down any more.

Nice work on another league title iseemonsters. :thup:

Metalist is like the 3rd best club in Ukraine behind Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev. I would aim for one of those 2 jobs in Ukraine. Just keep doing what you're doing and big club will eventually come calling for your services. :thup:

I was just starting to wonder when you'd move on. I'd have turned Metalist down. I don't think it sounds very appealing.

I thought they might be kind of an interesting project - an existing force in Ukrainian football that regularly qualify for European football, but looking to make that final step up into the Champions League and into a challenger to the big two. But I couldn't let my Barcelona side face the Copa Libertadores final without me!

Nice work on another league title iseemonsters. :thup:

Metalist is like the 3rd best club in Ukraine behind Shakhtar and Dinamo Kiev. I would aim for one of those 2 jobs in Ukraine. Just keep doing what you're doing and big club will eventually come calling for your services. :thup:

Thanks rancer! I thought Metalist might have made an interesting project - but not worth leaving Barcelona at such a crucial moment. If it had been Dinamo Kiev or Shakhtar, I might have had to make the jump anyway!

barcelonasc.png

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - 2014/15 Pre-Season Update

Media Prediction: 1st

Pre-Season Odds: Evens Joint Favourites

Once again, it's between us and LDU de Quito for the title according to the bookies and the media. This time, I think we're slightly favoured, and I'd have to agree with that analysis. After we decidedly got the upper hand over LDU in all competitions last season, we'll be looking to maintain that advantage this time around. LDU are under new management this season though, after Giovanny Espinoza departed to become manager of Ecuador. Agustin Delgado, a former player for both Barcelona and LDU de Quito (and, as some of you may remember, Southampton), has taken over as manager.

Interestingly, despite beating LDU de Quito to the title for the past two seasons, and knocking them out of the Copa Libertadores on our way to the final while Giovanny Espinoza was manager, I'll be to some extent working under the former LDU boss this season, as I've just been appointed Ecuador U-20 manager. It'll be an interesting entry into the arena of international manager, and a chance to oversee the development of some of my Barcelona youngsters, as well as spotting one or two stars of the future.

And in fact, my only two additions in the off season have come from the Ecuadorian U-20s side, as I brought in striker Jefferson Bolanos for £275k and right midfielder Geovanny Jaramillo for £400k. Neither of them are ready for first team football yet, but I have hopes for the future. Otherwise, it's been slim pickings in this transfer window - despite our second league title in a row and our run to the Libertadores final, it's still hard to attract top players to Barcelona. The one major departure was Alcides Miranda, who went out on loan back to his native Paraguay at Cerro Porteno. Miranda had been agitating for a move away for four or five months, and with Cerro Porteno paying £700k up front for the loan with an agreed price of £3.3m if they decide to make the move permanent, it makes good sense to let him go home, at least for the season. At the end of the season, we either get him back, hopefully more mature and willing to settle into the side, or we get a decent fee for him.

The Copa Sudamericana Preliminary Round sees us drawn against Bolivian side Aurora - the team we knocked out of the Copa Libertadores in the 2nd Round last season - we won both legs pretty comfortably back then, so I'm confident we can make it to the 1st Round proper at least.

Ouchy! To lose the Libertadores final like that must hurt! Great work to get there though and by the looks of it you could be there again soon. Who knows...maybe you can turn Barca into the new Barca ;). I'd also have turned the Metalist job down as you couldn't of left Barca before you'd played the Libertadores final!

Good luck for the new season. Another league win?

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - August 2014 Update

[i]Copa Sudamericana Preliminary Round Leg 1 - August 6th 2014[/i]
[b]Aurora                     0   2   Barcelona[/b]
                                  Marco Barreto (33, 75)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - August 16th 2014[/i]
[b]LDU de Quito               0   1   Barcelona[/b]
                                  Camilo David Hurtado (2)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - August 23rd 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  3   0   Olmedo[/b]
Jose Montiel (36)
Carlos Fernandez (38)
Marco Barreto (72)

[i]Copa Sudamericana Preliminary Round Leg 2 - August 27th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   1   Aurora[/b]
Carlos Fernandez (62)              Christian Fernandez (59)
Cesar Alarcon (pen 73)

Notes: Another really good start to the season. Less than a month after the crushing defeat against Internacional in the Copa Libertadores final, we were back on the road in South America's other continental cup competition. Marco Barreto nabbed two goals in an easy victory over the first team we beat in the knockout stage of our Libertadores run last season, Aurora.

Then came what seems to have become our traditional league curtain opener against our biggest opponents, LDU de Quito. We snatched an early goal through 33 year old Camilo David Hurtado, still getting into the side and grabbing important goals for us - and our solid defence did its job once again, holding on to that one goal advantage. It probably wasn't that entertaining for any neutral spectators, since we effectively shut the game down after taking the lead - but I'm sure it was fun for our fans!

We followed that up with a much more entertaining win over Olmedo in front of our own fans, scoring twice in two minutes to basically put the game out of reach for Olmedo, and adding a third in the second half through Marco Barreto to finish in style. And in the second leg against Aurora we finished the job to make sure we got through to the Copa Sudamericana proper - all the goals in our 2-1 win came within a fifteen minute period in the second half, and we went through 4-1 on aggregate.

I also finally found some quality in the transfer market, signing Argentinian right winger Hector Cirrincione from Deportivo Quito for £1.5m to play on the right side of attack in place of Alcides Miranda, and Paraguayan defender Angel Benitez from LDU de Quito for £1.2m to strengthen our squad depth at the back. I also returned to my old stomping grounds of Central America to bring in winger Rony Figueroa from Olimpia in Honduras, and I'll also be bringing in promising Costa Rican defender Cristian Castro from Cartagines for £1.2m when the Costa Rican transfer window opens in November.

[b]1st      Barcelona               2   2   0   0   4   0    +4   6[/b]
2nd      Macara                  2   1   1   0   5   2    +3   4
3rd      Tecnico Universitario   2   1   1   0   3   2    +1   4
4th      Espoli                  2   1   0   1   5   4    +1   3
5th      Olmedo                  2   1   0   1   2   3    -1   3
6th      Aucas                   2   0   2   0   4   4     0   2
7th      Deportivo Quito         2   0   2   0   1   1     0   2
8th      Manta                   2   0   2   0   1   1     0   2
9th      Azogues                 2   0   1   1   1   4    -3   1
10th     Deportivo Cuenca        2   0   1   1   3   5    -2   1
11th     El Nacional             2   0   1   1   2   4    -2   1
12th     LDU de Quito            2   0   1   1   1   2    -2   1

Ouchy! To lose the Libertadores final like that must hurt! Great work to get there though and by the looks of it you could be there again soon. Who knows...maybe you can turn Barca into the new Barca ;). I'd also have turned the Metalist job down as you couldn't of left Barca before you'd played the Libertadores final!

Good luck for the new season. Another league win?

Thanks Raware! It really was a heartbreaker. In retrospect, I never really expected to get there, so we should really have been delighted just to be there. But then to come so close...

I'm hopeful for the new season - especially since we've already defeated our main rivals LDU de Quito away from home in the season opener. The lack of true quality in the transfer market makes me concerned that any major departures could really impact our hopes of performing to a similar level in the Libertadores again - but on the other hand, if we manage to hold on to everyone, who knows? :thup:

So close... But as you said, a great achievement in just getting that far. :thup:

Interesting move to the Ecuador U20s. when the next South American U20 championship coming up?

I actually only have one game in charge of Ecuador U20s before the South American U20 championship, against Mexico U20s in November. Then the tournament starts in January of 2015 - in our group we'll face Brazil, Chile, Peru and Venezuela - the top 3 qualify for the next stage. :thup:

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - September 2014 Update

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - September 6th 2014[/i]
[b]Aucas                      0   0   Barcelona[/b]

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - September 13th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   1   Tecnico Universitario[/b]
Silvio Vilarino (pen 2)            Carlos Delgado (68)
Marco Barreto (64)

[i]Copa Sudamericana 1st Round Leg 1 - September 24th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  0   0   Gremio[/b]

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - September 27th 2014[/i]
[b]Deportivo Quito            1   1   Barcelona[/b]
Marcelo Gomez (pen 24)             Marcelo Cespedes (27)

Notes: A few too many draws creeping in here for my liking, but we managed to stay on top of the league, which is the main thing. Nevertheless, we struggled a little bit in all of our matches - never looking like losing our two league draws, against Aucas and Deportivo Quito, but never really looking like we were going to pull out the win either. In the win over Tecnico Universitario, we weren't exactly scintillating either - but a win is a win, and we are still undefeated this season.

We also looked shaky in our game against Gremio. Sure, they're a good side with quality all through the team, but after our exploits in the Libertadores last season, I was hoping for a few more fireworks. At least we avoided conceding an away goal, even if we couldn't score any either.

I'm wondering whether this could be a little bit of a symptom of not really having any kind of break in between last season and this one - we were into our next campaign just a couple of weeks after the Libertadores final defeat in Brazil. Hopefully we'll snap out of in time for our return leg against Gremio, and with a few relatively easy league games coming up, regain our league form as well.

[b]1st      Barcelona               5   3   2   0   7   2    +5   11[/b]
2nd      Espoli                  5   3   0   2   11  7    +4   9
3rd      Manta                   5   2   3   0   6   2    +4   9
4th      Tecnico Universitario   5   2   2   2   9   7    +2   8
5th      Macara                  5   2   1   2   8   7    +1   7
6th      Aucas                   5   1   3   1   6   7    -1   6
7th      LDU de Quito            5   1   3   1   8   7    +1   6
8th      Olmedo                  5   2   0   3   4   7    -3   6
9th      Deportivo Cuenca        5   1   2   2   7   10   -3   5
10th     El Nacional             5   1   2   2   6   8    -2   5
11th     Deportivo Quito         5   0   4   1   3   6    -3   4
12th     Azogues                 5   0   2   3   7   12   -5   2

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - October 2014 Update

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - October 4th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  0   0   Deportivo Cuenca[/b]

[i]Copa Sudamericana 1st Round Leg 2 - October 8th 2014[/i]
[b]Gremio                     3   2   Barcelona[/b]
Pablo Velazquez (8)                Marco Barreto (22)
Breno (16)                         Gilbert Quinonez (90+1)
Romeu (73)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - October 18th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  6   0   Espoli[/b]
Angel Benitez (pen 2)
Marco Barreto (9, 14, 19)
Andrezinho (pen 55)
Luis Alberto Sevilla (83)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - October 25th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  2   0   Macara[/b]
Marco Andia (16)
Marco Barreto (90+4)

Notes: Another unconvincing draw to start the month, against recently promoted Deportivo Cuenca - not a horrible result, since Deportivo Cuenca are the most recent Ecuadorian champions not named Barcelona, and retained some of those title-winning players during their one season outside the top flight - but hardly a spectacular performance for our home fans. Nevertheless, we remained on top of the league and stretched our unbeaten run in domestic competition to 15 games, a league record (it would be extended to 17 games by the end of the month).

Then a major disappointment - after reaching the semi-finals last season, our Copa Sudamericana adventure was over virtually before it even began, as Gremio knocked us out 3-2 on the night and on aggregate. Gremio were 2-1 up by half-time, but we knew we only needed one more goal to win the game on away goals - pushing forward for that elusive second goal, we were caught on the break by the Brazilians with just over a quarter of an hour to go. We got that second goal eventually, in injury time, but by then it was too late, and we didn't have time to find the third goal that would have leveled the tie.

So, with no continental competitions to worry about until the Copa Libertadores starts in February, we were free to concentrate on the league - and we proved what that meant for some of our opponents in devastating style as we utterly destroyed Espoli 6-0, including a ten minute hat-trick from the consistently excellent Marco Barreto. We followed that up with a comfortable 2-0 win over mid-table Macara, to put us five points clear at the top of the table.

After their disappointing start to the league campaign, it's no surprise that LDU de Quito have risen through the ranks to most likely become our closest challengers again this season - their only defeat so far has been at home to us.

[b]1st      Barcelona               8   5   3   0   15  2   +13   18[/b]
2nd      LDU de Quito            8   3   4   1   15  9    +6   13
3rd      Olmedo                  8   4   1   3   8   9    -1   13
4th      Deportivo Cuenca        8   3   3   2   12  10   +2   12
5th      Espoli                  8   4   0   4   17  21   -4   12
6th      Macara                  8   3   2   3   11  11    0   11
7th      Deportivo Quito         8   1   6   1   10  11   -1   9
8th      El Nacional             8   2   3   3   12  15   -3   9
9th      Manta                   8   2   3   2   13  14   -1   9
10th     Aucas                   8   1   5   2   9   11   -2   8
11th     Tecnico Universitario   8   2   2   4   12  15   -3   8
12th     Azogues                 8   0   4   4   8   14   -6   4

It's a good start iseemonsters. Tough luck against Gremio though...can someone please explain the different continental competitions in South America? What's the Copa Sudamericana? :o

My understanding is that the Copa Sudamericana is kind of like the equivalent of the Europa League/UEFA Cup - the less prestigious of the two continental tournaments. The difference is that a lot of the same teams qualify for both the Copa Sudamericana and the Copa Libertadores - because the Copa Sudamericana is played in one half of the year and the Copa Libertadores in the other half of the year, it's perfectly possible for the same team to compete in both tournaments - and the organizers like it that way because that means that big teams like Boca and River Plate can play in both (which equals TV ratings) . In real life though, apparently, some of the bigger clubs play reserve teams in the Copa Sudamericana, especially in the early stages - I haven't noticed this too much in FM.

I'm beginning to feel a little hamstrung by my choice of leagues. While it's been really fun and interesting to play in some unknown leagues and even just to see the other leagues that I haven't even managed in yet develop, it does rather limit where my career can go from here. There are maybe 5 clubs I could move to that would actually be exciting to get an offer from (Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar in the Ukraine, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos and AEK Athens in Greece) - and if I get a move to one of them, there really isn't anywhere to go from there. Part of the fun of doing a career game rather than a SC2BC challenge (which is how I normally play) has been the potential to move to another club, keeping an eye on the jobs that become available, wondering if I might be linked to this or that club - and I feel like I may be denying myself a lot of that fun with the setup I chose.

So, I'm considering maybe this weekend trying another game with some more bigger leagues in it - a game in which my career has a little more room to grow. I'm not abandoning this game altogether just yet - but I thought I might try setting up a new game and see where it takes me for a little while. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Pretty much any game I sey up (aside from SC2BC challenges) includes at tleast the top two divisions from England and Spain and a couple of other top European leagues just to have the option to go somewhere big as you say. It seems in this save that early success has led to the chance to move to Greece or Ukraine coming very early as well and, as you say, after that where do you go? Having said that, I've enjoyed following your career in the unknown adn would like to see what would happen if you moved on to Africa or Asia. :)

It's a good start iseemonsters. Tough luck against Gremio though...can someone please explain the different continental competitions in South America? What's the Copa Sudamericana?

I too was interested to know the answer to this question so being the anorak I am I looked it up! This is what I found...

"Each national association is assigned a number of entries, usually determined by its league's strength, and decides on its own selection criteria to fill those spots. These can include: direct invitation; performance over the first semester of the year; best teams from previous season that did not qualify for the Copa Libertadores (similar to UEFA Cup entries); a qualifying tournament previous to the competition, etc. The tournament itself is played in two-legged knockout stages (there have also been cases of 3-team groups, with each team playing one home and one away game). In the first rounds of the competition the teams from the same country play against each other.

The format of the tournament has changed year after year. The current format includes a Preliminary Round, the First Round, and a knockout bracket starting from the Round of 16. 8 teams contest the Preliminary Round with 4 proceeding to the First Round. 28 teams contest the First Round and 14 qualify for the Round of 16. The invitees Boca Juniors and River Plate are directly seeded in the Round of 16. The final has the same rules as the Copa Libertadores; no away goals rule and extra time will be played if the finalists are tied on goals."

Source as always: Wikipedia

Being as I enjoy playing as River Plate on FM according to their site the Argentinean FA have decided against inviting Boca Juniors and River Plate from this season. From now on teams that do well in the league etc will get invited instead of those purely because of who they are.

Cheers for the info iseemonsters and CAFCIan75. :thup:

I understand how you're feeling about the limited leagues, since I'm going through the same thing in my career game (why does every good player have to be based in France or South Korea....and I didn't load those leagues...). I always load leagues around the world just to give myself some variety. I have some BIG career plans for my next one, on the final patch, with JTY-like proportions. :D (although I plan to 'finish' my current one first)

I think my plan will be to keep playing this game, but at a slower rate, and set up a parallel save with more leagues and more variety. That way, in this game I can concentrate on having fun exploring the football world without the desire to "move up" to another level, while the other game can fulfill my deep dark globe-spanning, world conquering desires! :D

Barcelona Sporting Club

Ecuador - Copa Credife Primera A - November 2014 Update

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - November 8th 2014[/i]
[b]Manta                      0   1   Barcelona[/b]
                                  Pedro Romo (15)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - November 16th 2014[/i]
[b]El Nacional                1   1   Barcelona[/b]
Michael Quinonez (9)               Jorge Majao (pen 5)

[i]Copa Credife Primera A - November 29th 2014[/i]
[b]Barcelona                  1   0   Azogues[/b]
Jose Montiel (42)

[i]U20 International Friendly - November 18th 2014[/i]
[b]Mexico U20s                1   1   Ecuador U20s[/b]
Edgar Espinoza (11)                Luis de Jesus (pen 71)

Notes: Not a bad month, especially considering results elsewhere meant our lead at the top of the table increased to seven points. We started with a regulation defeat of Manta - just a 1-0 scoreline, but we dominated the game and didn't really look in any danger throughout. Pedro Romo, a bit of a forgotten man since Marco Baretto took over the lone striker role in my 4-5-1/4-3-3 formation, grabbed the only goal of the game.

El Nacional may be languishing at the bottom of the division, but they're still a good side with plenty of quality, and drawing away from home against them is by no means a disastrous result. All the goals came in the first 10 minutes, after which it was a rather dour defensive battle, despite my efforts to get my team to push forward more and more as the game went on. Incidentally, Jorge Majao (who scored our only goal of the game) may be turning into one of my favourite FM signings - mainly because he was branded a "waste of money" by the fans when I signed him for £210k. He's now worth £2.2m, has been consistently very good and a key part of the excellent defence that has basically delivered all of our success over the past few years. It's always nice to be proved right! :D

The final league game of the month was another regulation win over bottom of the league Azogues - again, the 1-0 scoreline flattered them as we could have easily won by several goals. A win is a win, and as I said, our lead at the top has stretched to seven points. We're not taking anything for granted, but given the fact we are unbeaten now at the halfway point in the league with a serious points advantage, I think hoping for our third consecutive Ecuadorian title is not too presumptious.

This month also saw my first game in charge of the Ecuador U20s, in a tough friendly away to a strong Mexico U20s team. To be fair, Mexico had by far the better of the game, and we were lucky to come away with a 1-1 draw thanks to Espoli full-back Luis de Jesus who scored a penalty after Deportivo Cuenca forward Geovanny Caicedo was fouled in the box. There were some promising performances though and it was good to get a look at some of my Barcelona youngsters in action. :thup:

Pos    Team                    P   W   D   L   GF  GA   GD   Pts 
----------------------------------------------------------------
[b]1st    Barcelona               11  7   4   0   18  3   +15   25[/b]  
2nd    Deportivo Quito         11  4   6   1   15  13   +2   18  
3rd    LDU de Quito            11  4   5   2   19  12   +7   17  
4th    Macara                  11  5   2   4   16  13   +3   17  
5th    Olmedo                  11  5   2   4   10  11   -1   17  
6th    Espoli                  11  5   0   6   19  24   -5   15  
7th    Deportivo Cuenca        11  3   5   3   15  15    0   14  
8th    Manta                   11  3   3   5   14  17   -3   12  
9th    Tecnico Universitario   11  3   3   5   16  19   -3   12  
10th   Aucas                   11  2   5   4   10  14   -4   11