The Manchester United Thread 2007/08 - Home of the Champions

Nick OGS20

• Replies 28.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess it wouldn't make any difference, he said repeatedly at the end of the season that he was definitely staying and still the speculation went on.

He doesn't help things by saying different things to the English press and other countries but there you go.

a) guaranteed income, and more importantly b) any replacement(s) we buy will either be foreign imports or high priced english purchases, and the money we pay for them will also be in instalments, so it'll even itself out anyway.

Reminds me, did we ever get that money off of Lazio for Jaap Stam?

Originally posted by BBB:

You really think that they have that money to pay us upfront, it'll be spread over x number of years.

Torres has said he's not leaving Liverpool and yet he is at the euros, why can't Ronaldo do the same?

Because then he won't have the mass media attention every second of every day. Are people still not understanding this? Personal glory first, team second.

Cristiano Ronaldo's personal terms for a move to Real Madrid were agreed 'a long time ago', according to a senior Manchester United source. Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes is now understood to have finalised all the key details with executives from the Spanish club.

'They have been talking for at least two months,' the source told Observer Sport last night, 'and it was all agreed with Real Madrid weeks ago. All this chat from [Real president] Ramón Calderón that he does not want to upset Manchester United, and Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be bought because he belongs to another club, is absolute rubbish. Discussions have gone way beyond the point of no return. Sir Alex Ferguson knows this now so you can imagine how it has gone down.'

This explains United's decision to lodge a formal complaint with Fifa, claiming that Ronaldo has been tapped up; a threat that, although announced occasionally by clubs, is rarely acted upon. Last week a national newspaper also published a photograph of Ronaldo meeting a Real official in January in Rome, the club's fitness instructor, Walter Di Salvo, who left Old Trafford for the Bernabéu.

'The people around Ronaldo and Real Madrid have been talking seriously for a long time - about everything including the details of his contract if he moves,' added the source.

Ronaldo signed an improved contract that runs until 2012 in April of last year and Ferguson has taken the stance, in public at least, that the player will not be allowed to leave. But the source outlined that United believe Madrid's strategy to have been based on winning Ferguson round once it became clear that Ronaldo wanted to go. 'Madrid knew it would be tough, but thought for the right price the manager would sell. But he doesn't want to. No way.'

But would not a sizeable offer make the deal inevitable? 'No, I don't think he would sell even for £100 million,' the source claimed, although there is no definite confidence at United about what will happen. Ferguson has said that the Glazer family, which owns United, would not sell Ronaldo for any price. But whether they would turn down an astronomical fee, especially given the club's £600m debt, is unclear. One option that may be explored is for Ferguson to persuade Ronaldo to stay at least one more season, then allow him to leave.

nah, we should declare the NEW thread a Ronaldo from zone until there's something direct and official from one of the clubs, the player or, at a push FIFA (re the tapping up).

Stoke (A) will be the 1st game btw

Originally posted by BBB:

I meant why doesn't he clarify his position tbf

Because as the decision isn't totally down to him, he wants to keep his options open? If he wants to go to Madrid, but realises it might not happen, he'll hardly want to alienate the Utd fans in case he ends up staying.

The little optimist in me still can't get away from thinking that Ronnie is actually fed up with the whole thing and just stringing the media along

Media: Are you staying or are you going?

Ronnie: I'm staying. Deffers.

M: Are you staying though.

R: Yep. No doubt about it. Would like to play in Spain; prolly for Madrid; one day, but chuffed as Lawrence right now.

M: OK...

M:... but are you staying though?

R: icon_confused.gif umm... yeah?

M: So you're not sure?

R: No, I'm staying.

M: Ah, Ok.

M: Are you staying or going?

R: Oh f**k it - alright yeah - if Real are actually paying £150m to United and £300k p/w to me, then yeah - why not eh? Oh, and that white Portugal strip - well sexy ain't it? If only there was a club that played in the same colours!

... OMGZ! Madrid!

Too much of what he's said and what appears to be his nature from what we've seen of him off the pitch suggests that he's playing with the media. Yes, he's loving the attention, but I can't help but think that the same guy who said after an innocuous incident (in the grand scheme of things) that everything concerning him was 'polemic' is a touch too savvy to be manipulated by the press this way. Ultimately, it seems that there's much more newsworthy stuff indicating that he'll stay. It's just that as it isn't as sentational as 'Ron's Madrid Transfer Plea', it gets bogged down somewhat.

That's what I'm hoping, at least.

Originally posted by James07?:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gonch19:

my pessimism has returned, reading that opening post and how good last season was. it cant get any better than that icon_frown.gif

It certainly has the same feel as the summer of 99. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

from exactly (well, give or take a day) a year ago. the same thing needs posting in the new thread clearly, we'll do the treble again.

Just watching the Holland games so far this Euros too, I think it's begun to sink in just what a MASSIVE hero Edwin was/is for us.

Pure class icon_cool.gif

..frankly the Netherlands in general at this tournament have made me wet myself with excitement. Super slick, super quick, counter-attacking football - it's like a national version of us :*)

Except they have a better striker :*(

I've always bigged up VDS in here, one of our most under-appreciated players of the last three years imo. People way too keen to pension him off for Foster last summer.

Originally posted by RedBlood:

Liverpool away then Chelsea away in september

City at home then Arsenal at home at the end of the season

I think the FA want new champions this year

the order of fixtures in the first 3/4 of the season is pretty irrelevant. The run in has thos two big games, but they're both at home. Hardly stuff of nightmares (especially when you see Arsenal's run in).

Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RedBlood:

Liverpool away then Chelsea away in september

City at home then Arsenal at home at the end of the season

I think the FA want new champions this year

the order of fixtures in the first 3/4 of the season is pretty irrelevant. The run in has thos two big games, but they're both at home. Hardly stuff of nightmares (especially when you see Arsenal's run in). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Liverpool's is a piece of absolute piiss though. They've literally only got one difficult away game in 2009, and that's us.

Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

i still like this thread

you're welcome to stay here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And I still wouldn't win user of the year.

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMPIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONS

fin icon_mad.gif

Archived