Efficiency

Play more attacking.

Overload their defence by getting more men forward, but by also retaining possession around their box.

SOme ideas:

Lower crossing

Pass to feet (shout)

WB's RFD often

Work ball into box.

LAM

Play more attacking.

Overload their defence by getting more men forward, but by also retaining possession around their box.

SOme ideas:

Lower crossing

Pass to feet (shout)

WB's RFD often

Work ball into box.

LAM

This is the one that suprises me. I'm gonna give it a try. Could you explain the idea behind the lower crossing?

The crossing theory is not directly related to your high possession rates, so don't worry that you didnt get it :).

However, as Miek pointed out. Crossing when you are overloading the opposition box is a sure fire way of losing possession. Its something I discovered in FM09. I was trying to overload their box to pass around quick and to create a gap. The things that kept losing me possession when doing this was:

Long shots, hence the 'work ball into box'

Pointless throughballs, hence the 'pass to feet'

Crosses into what is a packed box, bear in mind, you most of your players are in and around their box, then most of their players will be too!

Now, none of these directly will allow you to score goals and infact could be seen as almost limiting your chances, however, when you have 7 or 8 players around their box, that means they are likely to have 9 or 10 (inc GK), so throughballs into the box are highly unlikely to hit their mark, crosses into a box with upto 18 players in it are not likely to be scored ever if they hit their mark, longshots have to find their way through way to many pairs of feet.

So, by limiting the above, your team keep possession. Now, clearly that has not been an issue for you thus far, however your symptons are those of a manager that is either lacking in attacking mentalities or playing a possession game. Either of which is to defensive. So, when you push forward, which you need to do, I promise you, your possession will fall off quicker than (insert unpleasant analogy).

These ideas will allow you to attack whilst maintaining possession around their box. Of course, you could simply be more attacking and that might work for you outright. The above is what I now have to do as most teams line up very defensively against me.

LAM

Yeah. Manualy overide the wizard.

To be honest, I feel that this is a major issue for people. So many seem to be just playing the wizard. They must remember that the design of the wizard is generic, meaning it doesnt know what you want.

You must make changes to it at the bare minimum of removing instructions that simply do not work for your players.

LAM

The crossing theory is not directly related to your high possession rates, so don't worry that you didnt get it :).

However, as Miek pointed out. Crossing when you are overloading the opposition box is a sure fire way of losing possession. Its something I discovered in FM09. I was trying to overload their box to pass around quick and to create a gap. The things that kept losing me possession when doing this was:

Long shots, hence the 'work ball into box'

Pointless throughballs, hence the 'pass to feet'

Crosses into what is a packed box, bear in mind, you most of your players are in and around their box, then most of their players will be too!

Now, none of these directly will allow you to score goals and infact could be seen as almost limiting your chances, however, when you have 7 or 8 players around their box, that means they are likely to have 9 or 10 (inc GK), so throughballs into the box are highly unlikely to hit their mark, crosses into a box with upto 18 players in it are not likely to be scored ever if they hit their mark, longshots have to find their way through way to many pairs of feet.

So, by limiting the above, your team keep possession. Now, clearly that has not been an issue for you thus far, however your symptons are those of a manager that is either lacking in attacking mentalities or playing a possession game. Either of which is to defensive. So, when you push forward, which you need to do, I promise you, your possession will fall off quicker than (insert unpleasant analogy).

These ideas will allow you to attack whilst maintaining possession around their box. Of course, you could simply be more attacking and that might work for you outright. The above is what I now have to do as most teams line up very defensively against me.

LAM

I've actually never thought of it like that. The problem is that most games aren't a problem. I'm always finishing second or third place but keep losing the title because of 0-0 games. It's those fixtures I'm hoping to get rid off. I'm gonna try your ideas in those games.

Yeah. Manualy overide the wizard.

To be honest, I feel that this is a major issue for people. So many seem to be just playing the wizard. They must remember that the design of the wizard is generic, meaning it doesnt know what you want.

You must make changes to it at the bare minimum of removing instructions that simply do not work for your players.

LAM

Yea I use the wizard then go back and change some sliders for certain players. Never thought to do change the crossing and pass to feet. I'm playing a game right now where I'm domination possession but out 5 shots only 1 on target. 15th min mind you.

Changed the Full Backs to RFD: Sometimes. Crossing: Rarely. Zhirkov, I think, adhered to these pretty well. He didn't cross from deep anymore but when he got into an advanced position he crossed for Dzeko to head in. Another time, a cleared corner kick fell back to him, instead of crossing he laid it along the ground back to Lampard for a 20 yard banger. So, we'll see how he does in future games

First I changed my passing style from short to direct and lowered the crosses. This went horribly wrong: lost 5 matches in a row. Than I re-changed my passing style to short and won 6 games in a row. My shots on goal rating went up and I scored easier. So it seems to work.

Now wouldn't it be better if I let my wingers cut inside? I'm having a lone, fast striker up front so through balls are his main supply. Any thoughts?

If you are playing AMLR's then set them to either Inside forwards or advanced playmakers. They will then either move in and score or supply your pace man.

When you are in a game always keep an eye on the assistant managers comments, he will let you know whats wrong with your passing.

LAM

Wow, I wish I would have thought of this sooner. It really lets you dictate the entire match when you don't give it away. I put crossing down to low and with my attacking low tempo 442 I'm sort of able boss the game. Thanks mate.

Archived