Smithies?

Hull FC

Has anyone bought Alex Smithies he gets rave reviews in real life at the minute.

I have signed him for Arsenal and expected him to be my backup for fabianski, but he played so well against Man City when Fabianski was suspended i stuck with him, now he is my number 1 keeper an just broke into the england squad, all in the first season like, he is only 18 or 19

My scout says he has the potential to become a good Championship keeper, and a bid of around £1.1m will be accepted. Imo better plays can be found for less.

I got him for cheaper at start of game 750k i got him for, my fans loved me signing him as well

Rave reviews? He's over-rated (IRL), simply because he's young. Lower end of L1 standard, mistake-prone, probably due to lack of experience. Big contributing factor to Huddersfield's shoddy defensive record compared to the rest of the top teams. Wouldn't get into any of the other teams in the top half. Two huge blunders against Leeds at the weekend as well, both leading to goals. But because he's only 20 (21?) everyone thinks he's better than he is due to his potential.

he's nowhere near over-rated.... he commands the area as if he's 10 years older, has fantastic shot stopping abilities and his handling of the ball is brilliant too... give him a few years and he'll be ready for top football imo.. he just needs to learn his trade a bit more..

easily the best young keeper around at the moment .. miles better then joe lewis.. and better then scott loach, joe hart or kirkland ever was at his age

he's also very good in game...

ive just started a leeds united career and have spent a third of my budget bringing him in as my first choice keeper... he's easily good enough for league one and after a whole season of playing he should improve enough for the respective higher leagues when we get there too

The majority of Huddersfield fans rate him the best in the league, whilst people who have never seen him play think he is amazing because he has big potential and is playing regularly for a good L1 team. He's nowhere near the best in the league, and is mid-table standard at best (for now). Therefore, he is over-rated. I'm not denying his potential, but people think he is better than he actually is.

he's nowhere near over-rated.... he commands the area as if he's 10 years older, has fantastic shot stopping abilities and his handling of the ball is brilliant too... give him a few years and he'll be ready for top football imo.. he just needs to learn his trade a bit more..

easily the best young keeper around at the moment .. miles better then joe lewis.. and better then scott loach, joe hart or kirkland ever was at his age

he's also very good in game...

ive just started a leeds united career and have spent a third of my budget bringing him in as my first choice keeper... he's easily good enough for league one and after a whole season of playing he should improve enough for the respective higher leagues when we get there too

Disagree.

He's not that great at commanding the box, makes a lot of mistakes (especially against us - Millwall) and hesitates when his defence plays the ball back to him. He's a good shot stopper but he's overrated by the Huddersfield fans. Would say Luke Daniels is a better keeper then him, irl.

He's rated just about right on the game, Championship is about his level in my opinion.

not a hudd fan.. but have seen him play many times... he's easily one of the best in the league and will be playing prem football within a few years if not a year imo...

luke daniels isnt anywhere near as good now or ever will be . daniels wasnt good enough for w.b.a and never will be...

not a hudd fan.. but have seen him play many times... he's easily one of the best in the league and will be playing prem football within a few years if not a year imo...

luke daniels isnt anywhere near as good now or ever will be . daniels wasnt good enough for w.b.a and never will be...

A year? absolute no chance. Would get ripped apart up there, way too young for that sort of thing. He falls apart under pressure, needs plenty of years as number one before even being considered for a bigger league.

Daniels will be a good keeper, bet unfair to say he'll never be good enough for West Brom even though he hasn't had a chance?

As I say, he's rated about right on the game - Championship football.

West Brom have 2 top keepers in Carson and Kiely, Daniels will never get ahead of them, although he was amazing for Shrewsbury in their cup run. Smithies I haven't seen enough of to make a judgement on to be honest. It's hard to judge keepers. You see, I am a Cardiff fan, and after seeing Ross Turnbull and Stuart Taylor both failing in loan spells for us last season, they ended up signing for Chelsea and Man City respectively, says it all really!

I signed him for my FC Zaragoza league in spain.

he is my understudy to Carlos Kameni. I have Kameni tutoring him and he is coming on leaps and bounds, i gave him a few spanish cup matches and is progressing well conceeding only 1 goal in 3 games and that was a last minute penalty to Athletico Madrid.

Signed him for £2.1 million but dont regret it at all, i expect him to push kameni for no1 jersey next year possibly 2.

Would def recomend.

don't think he would be that good at the highest level, probably good at championship and possibly a top division team fighting against relegation. does he have a random potential? look at scott Loach, hes another young english gk, looks better though.

I signed him for my Sunderland side at the start of the 3rd season as back up back up (as in behind Gordon and Fulop). He's gone very well in friendlies, especially against Fiorentina. Scouts reckon he'll be as good as Gordon some day, which is why I bought him.

He's far worse than Leeds' Ankergren and Higgs. Fraser Forster is better, as is David Forde. David Lucas is far better, fon Williams is better, and he doesn't even come close to Kelvin Davis (who is, by far, the best in the division). Bialkowski is a similar level. I would also rate Clayton Ince, Willy Gueret and possibly Dean Brill, Lewis Price and Luke Daniels ahead of him. He's a similar level to Brighton's Kuipers and Smith too, at best.

Seriously, he is far from being one of the best in the division.

He's far worse than Leeds' Ankergren and Higgs. Fraser Forster is better, as is David Forde. David Lucas is far better, fon Williams is better, and he doesn't even come close to Kelvin Davis (who is, by far, the best in the division). Bialkowski is a similar level. I would also rate Clayton Ince, Willy Gueret and possibly Dean Brill, Lewis Price and Luke Daniels ahead of him. He's a similar level to Brighton's Kuipers and Smith too, at best.

I'll have to disagree. I'd atleast rate him as on of the best couple of keepers in the division. I can only think of Higgs, Davis and David Forde who are obvoiusly better than him.

funnily enough .. im a leeds fan and welsh ... and i agree, higgs and arguably ankergen are better, but they both have best part of a decade or more on smithies .. forster has potential but isnt close yet.. forde isnt good enough...

fon williams ive seen a few times and taken a keen look at a few times being a welshman .. he does indeed look very very good.. out of the ones mentioned.. id put him at smithies potential possibly better, which i will concede... i didnt think of him :) . brill had the potentia but seems to have wained off a little of late... and lewis price is championship level at best imo..

finally.. yes, of course kelvin davis is the top keeper...no idea why he's been at southampton for so long now... apart from the ridiculous fee they paid for him that is

Got promoted out of Lg1 with Huddersfield in 1st season with Smithies in goal, superb for me at least 20 clean sheets and great shot stopper and good coming out for crosses, now valued at £2million at start of Championship with a few Premier clubs sniffng around just go thim to sign a new 5 yr contract. Trying to get Heaton from Man U as back up.

learn to spell first.. then question people's opinions.. just a thought..

and davis has been a top keeper for years .. as has gueret...

their talent has nothing to do with 'player potential'

firstly it wasnt aimed at you, but heh nevermind was aimed at seftinho, Secondly i cant spell and dont want to learn ;) would rather spend my time on fm2010 than learning ****** spelling (dedication)

davis top keeper? yeah thats why hes been relegated with about 3 different clubs from premiership (cant recall exactly when if you try to get me on that one) and is that why hes stil at southampton in league 1 if hes taht good?

"hes been relegated with about 3 different clubs from premiership "

sadly its once... and a bad season riddled by injury doesnt make him a bad keeper.. he's playing in league one... the point was that he was the best keeper in the league.. not the world.

"and is that why hes stil at southampton in league 1 if hes THAT good?"

he turned down a move to west ham this very season infact..

" Secondly i cant spell and dont want to learn would rather spend my time on fm2010 than learning ****** spelling (dedication)"

i could argue the point , but the above nullifies any opinion you have to say about anything quite nicely...

Are you on drugs? if so can i have some of what your smoking?

You obvisouly have bo idea of spotting player potential.

Davis and guret i mean come on son.

funniest reply ive seen for ages.

Ironically enough I'm actually quite good at "spotting player potential". I actually know of quite a lot of players before they hit the big-time, particularly Brazil and Russia.

Secondly, do you really, honestly think I was talking about potential when I was talking about two keepers in their 30s? Really? Of course I bloody well wasn't, I'm talking here and now. Smithies has great potential, but at this moment in time, I would rate Davis higher than him, and Gueret at a similar level, due to his large amount of experience.

firstly it wasnt aimed at you, but heh nevermind was aimed at seftinho, Secondly i cant spell and dont want to learn ;) would rather spend my time on fm2010 than learning ****** spelling (dedication)

davis top keeper? yeah thats why hes been relegated with about 3 different clubs from premiership (cant recall exactly when if you try to get me on that one) and is that why hes stil at southampton in league 1 if hes taht good?

Good to see you've got your priorities in order.. :rolleyes:

I didn't call Davis a "top keeper", I called him "by far the best 'Keeper at this level". Kind of blows your League 1 argument out of the water, because it's kinda difficult to be the best if League 1 if you're not actually in it, don't you think?

Have you ever even seen him play? By the sound of it you're judging him based on.. well I want to say "stats", but they're not even correct. How good a player is has nothing to do with what division they're in. Jaime Ashdown plays in the Premiership - does that make him a better keeper than Davis? There are plenty of players who are much too good for their division, or out of their depth.

Now, maybe you should actually go to school, learn to read and write, come back and make a proper, readable reply that actually contributes to this topic, rather than play FM your entire life. Kthxbai.

Your stupidity is beyond a level I have seen before.

funnily enough .. im a leeds fan and welsh ... and i agree, higgs and arguably ankergen are better, but they both have best part of a decade or more on smithies .. forster has potential but isnt close yet.. forde isnt good enough...

fon williams ive seen a few times and taken a keen look at a few times being a welshman .. he does indeed look very very good.. out of the ones mentioned.. id put him at smithies potential possibly better, which i will concede... i didnt think of him :) . brill had the potentia but seems to have wained off a little of late... and lewis price is championship level at best imo..

finally.. yes, of course kelvin davis is the top keeper...no idea why he's been at southampton for so long now... apart from the ridiculous fee they paid for him that is

Forde isn't good enough? we talking real life or on the game? as in real life, Forde is easily one of the best in the league.

Ankergren is complete turd, do wonder how anyone rates him. Higgs is a much better keeper then him.

Just signed him for exeter (championship 2015) on a free ;) looks like a very good player he is often my Key man with the post match analysis commenting on how he inspires confidence in the defense and how a good keeper is a real asset to a team (or something like that) Good name as well, SMITHIES!

Rave reviews? He's over-rated (IRL), simply because he's young. Lower end of L1 standard, mistake-prone, probably due to lack of experience. Big contributing factor to Huddersfield's shoddy defensive record compared to the rest of the top teams. Wouldn't get into any of the other teams in the top half. Two huge blunders against Leeds at the weekend as well, both leading to goals. But because he's only 20 (21?) everyone thinks he's better than he is due to his potential.

You don't have a clue what you're talking about mate.

Easily has the potential to be a Premiership keeper. Unlike Ankergen and Higgs.

The only reason he made two massive blunders was because of the pressure on him, with scouts watching him, and fair enough pressure shouldn't get to him but at such a young age he knows that if he's to play in the highest level then he must impress the scouts now.

Anyway Leeds are starting to drop points so it's only a matter of time until we're above you.

In FM Smithies has the potential to be Premier League, like IRL.

Lower end of league 1 what you on crack? Where are Huddersfield in the league table? He is the main reason why Huddersfield havent conceded so many goals as he has been excellent all season, yes he did make 2 errors against Leeds which were the only 2 mistakes he has made all season. He would be first choice in every team in league 1 including Leeds. He i not mistake-prone and his ratings in the game are spot on as far as am concerned! He is not over rated irl or in the game either!

He turned down a move to West Ham in the summer. He WANTED to stay. He showed that rarest of things in football - loyalty.

Lower end of league 1 what you on crack? Where are Huddersfield in the league table? He is the main reason why Huddersfield havent conceded so many goals as he has been excellent all season, yes he did make 2 errors against Leeds which were the only 2 mistakes he has made all season. He would be first choice in every team in league 1 including Leeds. He i not mistake-prone and his ratings in the game are spot on as far as am concerned! He is not over rated irl or in the game either!

Argument over! :)

Archived