Passing style & Crossing, does anyone else do this?

I am using the "Tactics Creator" system for my teams formation and tactics. I am at the first match of my second season. I am continually reading through "TT'10" to glean any assistance that I can get to help win matches. This is my latest effort. My teams "passing style" is set to "default" and I change it to "more direct" when the weather is wet. I have thought of going "shorter", when dry but I think that the "default" setting may already cover that.

Similarly, my "crossing" is set to "float" and to "drill" when wet. The thinking behind this is thus. When the weather is dry I prefer to get in high crosses for my two strikers to attack. However, in the rain, I am thinking that crosses would be best if they were sent in low sidding across the wet turf. The hope is that, again, one of my players will connect along the ground. I have not done this before and I was wondering if anyone has already tried it. If so,I would appreciate any thoughts as to whether or not the theory works in FM'10. Kind regards.

As far as I know, float/drill changes the 'aim' setting to far post/near post. It doesn't actually impact on trajectories in of themselves. Open to correction though

Half right and wrong. True about the aim being far and near but to actually get a cross to the near post you have to drill it forcing the player to do so. You can't drill a cross to the far post, you have to float it and vice versa.

Half right and wrong. True about the aim being far and near but to actually get a cross to the near post you have to drill it forcing the player to do so. You can't drill a cross to the far post, you have to float it and vice versa.

You seem to be talking real life rather than FM so the question I have is:

Since when can a cross not be drilled to the far post? Maybe we just have different definitions of drill. How a player hits a cross has everything to do with context and little to do with where he is aiming (although I agree a floated cross to the near post is rare)

This isn't really fully reflected in FM though as on occasion you do see dinky litttle floated crosses to the near post.

As far as I know, float/drill changes the 'aim' setting to far post/near post. It doesn't actually impact on trajectories in of themselves. Open to correction though

I can only go from my playing/coaching days in real life, spread over forty five years. Floating a cross was always in the air, whether it be to the near/far post or into the centre. Drilling in a cross was, as it sounds, a ball drilled into anywhere in the penalty area, along the ground. The theory behind it was that one of your players would get a touch on the speeding ball and deflect it into the goal. Even better if an opposing defender did it for you. I seem to remember Alan Hinton being extremely good at it. I saw him score at least two goals that way against Liverpool. He would really hit the ball with astonishing power into the penalty area along the ground and watch every opposing player trying to get out of the way of the ball. It always seemed to work rather well in wet weather. That is why and how I have started to use it in FM'10.

I can only go from my playing/coaching days in real life, spread over forty five years. Floating a cross was always in the air, whether it be to the near/far post or into the centre. Drilling in a cross was, as it sounds, a ball drilled into anywhere in the penalty area, along the ground. The theory behind it was that one of your players would get a touch on the speeding ball and deflect it into the goal. Even better if an opposing defender did it for you. I seem to remember Alan Hinton being extremely good at it. I saw him score at least two goals that way against Liverpool. He would really hit the ball with astonishing power into the penalty area along the ground and watch every opposing player trying to get out of the way of the ball. It always seemed to work rather well in wet weather. That is why and how I have started to use it in FM'10.

I'm not talking real life here, I'm talking FM. Float/drill translates to far/near in the crossing setting. The words in the wizard could equally say 'cross aim = far or near'. It has exactly the same effect as the slider setting. Why they call it float/drill I do not know...

So when you select 'drill' it won't make your player hit daisy cutter style crosses as his preference. It will just mean he will aim his crosses towards the near post as his preference. There is no direct impact on trajectory choices.

Whether or not there is an indirect effect due to how cross selection is coded I don't know. Purely anecdotally I would say there isn't but I've never crunched the numbers so say that with little certainty.

My thanks to those of you who have replied to my query. I have since referred back to T&T'10. With regards to crossing, I shall quote. "Drilled crosses will tend to be aimed for a player at the near post to direct into the net; floated crosses will tend to be aimed at the far post for a tall player to head in." I interpret these to mean the following. Choosing to drill the crosses will hopefully result in a goal scored by the foot. Choosing to float the crosses will mean a goal will be scored with the head. Choosing mixed will give a combination of both. The differerence in wording, to me, implies that there is a diiference in the crossing options. Perhaps wwfan could enlighten me. Kind regards.

Archived