Are Sweepers a rarity in FM?

Is there a lack of Sweepers in the FM series?

Playing FM2009 and I am thinking about trying a new formation with 5 defenders across the back and playing one as a sweeper.

The problem is, I only have one sweeper in my squad and I can't find decent sweepers (Most of the ones I find are either youth players or in the case of a real good player, want a transfer fee which I cannot afford right now).

Yes there is a lack of sweepers, but I think that reflects real life quite well. Almost no team (except I think Napoli - not sure though) play a sweeper any more. So there is no need for players to be trained as a SW, like CMOZZA said, the best option is retrain a player, or start saving :)

Yes there is a lack of sweepers, but I think that reflects real life quite well. Almost no team (except I think Napoli - not sure though) play a sweeper any more. So there is no need for players to be trained as a SW, like CMOZZA said, the best option is retrain a player, or start saving :)

I am nearing the end of my 2nd season with Barcelona ..if I can at least do the double (Already made it to the finals of the Spanish Cup and well on my way to winning La Liga again), I may get a big transfer budget next season. The transfer budget may go to signing an attacking midfielder & 1 more striker for next season.

If I retrain a player, how likely is it that they are going to take their new position?

They should always retrain to a new position, but yes, it depends how versatile they are as to how quickly they retrain and how likely they are to keep that new position once they have learnt it. Playing that player consistently in that position is also going to increase the speed with which they learn it.

I wouldn't have thought it would take anything more than a season for them to become at least accomplished in it, and if they play there consistently, probably quicker.

It's well worth searching out for a player that can already play there though. If you still have Gabriel Milito, he isn't too shabby, although I'm not sure how his stats stand up for a SW, but a guy like Phillipe Mexes would probably be perfect, although likely very expensive.

Might be worth investing in a new defender rather than an AM, if you still have Jonathan Dos Santos and that other one...uh...Thiago? I think they have some decent potential on FM to be pretty good and should probably be given some first team games.

But it's up to you. I have never played with a sweeper, but it is something I have considered on occasions.

They should always retrain to a new position, but yes, it depends how versatile they are as to how quickly they retrain and how likely they are to keep that new position once they have learnt it. Playing that player consistently in that position is also going to increase the speed with which they learn it.

I wouldn't have thought it would take anything more than a season for them to become at least accomplished in it, and if they play there consistently, probably quicker.

It's well worth searching out for a player that can already play there though. If you still have Gabriel Milito, he isn't too shabby, although I'm not sure how his stats stand up for a SW, but a guy like Phillipe Mexes would probably be perfect, although likely very expensive.

Might be worth investing in a new defender rather than an AM, if you still have Jonathan Dos Santos and that other one...uh...Thiago? I think they have some decent potential on FM to be pretty good and should probably be given some first team games.

But it's up to you. I have never played with a sweeper, but it is something I have considered on occasions.

I will have to invest in a new backup GK, as the one I have now is leaving at the end of the current season. There should be no problems for me to sign new players as I believe I will have a big transfer budget at the end of the season.

I still have Milito, but I play him as a centre back. I have never tried him as a sweeper as well. If he gets injured, I have no other sweepers to cover for him.

I do have a good core of central defenders and 2 good young centre backs in Martín Cáceres and Henrique (Out on loan). I am thinking about sending Martín Cáceres out on loan next season to get some 1st team experience

As far as attackers, I am thinking about calling up Gai Assulin and Dos Santos from my youth squad for next season. Give them a couple of starts during pre season games and then go from there.

Gai Assulin was another guy I was trying to think of :) Barcelona have some decent young midfielders. I don't think any of them really have the potential to be world class in FM (I could be wrong) but they certainly can do a job.

Hopefully you can get a decent backup keeper in, there are a couple out there that can be signed cheap, provided they haven't been transferred already.

Good luck :thup:

I think also with retraining it's very important to make sure the player your going to teach a new position to has the right attributes for that role i think it will take less time to if he has the right qualitys for the position.

As for a lack of sweepers i think it's just because not many teams use the position it seems a little outdated nowadays as the idea of the role was start a lot of plays off and counter-attacks (Check Beckenbauer). But as the game has advanced many centre-backs have the ability to bring the ball out of defence and begin counter-attacks for their own teams, thanks to tactical (game reading, anticipation, positioning, tackling) and technical (passing, vision on the pitch) capabilities.

As for a lack of sweepers i think it's just because not many teams use the position it seems a little outdated nowadays as the idea of the role was start a lot of plays off and counter-attacks (Check Beckenbauer). But as the game has advanced many centre-backs have the ability to bring the ball out of defence and begin counter-attacks for their own teams, thanks to tactical (game reading, anticipation, positioning, tackling) and technical (passing, vision on the pitch) capabilities.

I do notice that with Pyuol and Milito, they like to come out of defense and support the midfielders, as well as going up for corners. Abidal and Alves (Who play left and right back respectively) do the same thing (Although not quite to the extent as Milito and Pyuol) and that helps.

Gai Assulin was another guy I was trying to think of :) Barcelona have some decent young midfielders. I don't think any of them really have the potential to be world class in FM (I could be wrong) but they certainly can do a job.

Hopefully you can get a decent backup keeper in, there are a couple out there that can be signed cheap, provided they haven't been transferred already.

Good luck :thup:

Just as long as they have a good potential to be good players, I am happy. If they make it to World Class, it will be an added bonus.

Any suggestions on who I should try to sign as a backup GK?

Ok, time for me to get off this forum and get ready to enjoy El Clásico (Barcelona v. Real Madrid) :)

Archived