[FM10] As great a manager as Clough not yet but maybe.

Paggioram

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiorentina 20-21 - End of Season review

OK here we go. If you are expecting me to say I took them over in November and took them from the bottom of the league to the championship winning it by 20 points well guess what nope it did not happen.

I said that I would be happy to finish 4th bottom and that is just what happened Serie A. As you will see though I never really ever managed to pull away from the bottom of the league and my progress. This again I am happy to have kept them up but now I need to progress. My big problems were however that my defence were crap and my strikers could not finish so I know I need to do some work in the summer but like I built QPR before I will build Fiorentina into a force. I do think though even though I did enjoy the challenge I do not want to take a club who are already in relegation trouble and save them because it is near impossible as they have no confidence.

I looked at QPR how were 3rd when I left and they finished in a very respectable 7th so they can be very proud and happy with themselves and I am happy for them because this also included me taking from them Dirk-Jan Van Den Ouweland, Joe Ryan and Elias Wagner.

Key Players-Player of the Year - Daniel Sturridge

1) Daniel Sturridge

He is a player who can be very proud of himself as he has never played up front in his natural position of striker. He has been a winger for me and I am just delighted for a english man doing well for himself in another country.

2) Matteo D'Ambrosio

He has been a very good striker and once he is in my squad that I produce then I do this he will go from strength to strength and the best is yet to come from him.

Anyway there are no other players I really want to mention here.

Ivory Coast 20-21

I think this has been a very positive first period with Ivory Coast all that I have done is qualified through round 2 of the world cup qualifers and have started round three which has not been as strong but I am still there in touch so I am happy. Also we have had some big friendlies.

Round Two Results

Round Two Table

Round Three and Friendly Results

Round Three Table so far

Around the leagues

Serie A

Winners: Juventus

Relegated: Empoli, Mantova, Parma

Serie B

Winners: Frosinone

Promoted: Monza, Arezzo

Relegated: Gallipoli, Cremonese, Bari, Grosseto

Italian Cup: Juventus

Italian Super Cup: Udinese

Premier League

Winners: Man City

Relegated: Sheff Utd, Pompy, Leeds

Other English Winners

Championship: Birmingham

League 1: Charlton

League 2: Rochdale

FA Cup: QPR

League Cup: Everton

Community Shield: Liverpool

JPT: Charlton

FA Trophy: Dag & Red

European Winners

European Cup: Genoa

Euro Cup: Roma

European Super Cup: AC Milan

Club World Champ: AC Milan

Fiorentina - Season 21 - 22 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Safe Mid Table

Italian Cup: First Round

Media Pred: 14th

Transfer Budget: 15m

Wage: £754k

Current Wage Spend: £750k

Current Manager Rep: Continental

I have already lined up two defenders one is a left back and one is my center back from QPR they are Ben-Eros and Ausillio. I really think that my strikers can come to life but I am more worried about my defenders and the number of goals that we have been leaking. I am very confident that now I am learning Italian I think that this will really help things on but now I need to get my squad to love each other and play together as a team and then move on. I really do know that I can turn this around and turn them into a force but as you can see alot of the Italian clubs are becoming forces in the european game so this will be intresting to see what happens. I also signed last season the Italy under 21 goal keeper and am going to look at other young Italians to the club to help build for the future.

An interesting turnaround. An Italian team with a rubbish defence, unheard of really :)

I once had a Fiorentina save some editions back, 05 or 07 I think. For three seasons I battled and signed all kinds of impressive names yet every season we narrowly avoided relegation only to eventually get the sack after the third season and end up at Newcastle who were then languishing in the Championship. I had Ronaldo (Fat one) upfront and he made as much of an impact as an orange does at haltime. He would score a goal and we would concede two. Anyhow so far you've done well, let's hope you dont repeat my save :)

Thanks for that Jsolloso.

I already have this feeling that my time at Fiorentina is going to be short lived. The two major issues I have are that no one wants to sign for me and I think I am to attack minded for the Italian game so I really need to learn a defensive formation that is tight and can hit teams on the break. My major issue right now is that I cannot get confidence up at all. I have seen more self belief in people who ring suicide hotlines. In pre season I won a match 7-0 which was my chance to get confidence up and only two players finished with either good or superb morale. However now I know Italian I can tell them to sort themselves out instead of my assistant David Villa. I even think Daniel Sturridge sometimes acts like he dont speak english either.

This might just be as hard a task as Carlisle was.

• 2 weeks later...

Fiorentina 21-22 - End of Season review

I have to say yet again that the whole plan of what kind of manager I am has come to a clear focus now I am not a manager that wins titles at the first time of asking and everything I seem to do is more slow and steady progress. After my first season in charge and just finishing outside the relegation zone I finished a repectable 10th and to be fair I did not drop below 11th in Serie A and with this Progress.

I am really happy with what I am doing however I am really ready to find a club to settle at this is all because of QPR to be fair because the team that I built won the FA Cup and just finished 5th in the Premier league and this just kind of upsets me because if I had ignored the challenge of Italy it could have been me.

I managed to meet the boards expectations in the Italian Cup.

So my next target for Fiorentina is to manage to finish in a league place to get myself into europe and finally sort out my squad harmony.

Key Players-Player of the Year - Ian Craven

1) Ian Craven

This is a guy that I took a risk on who was playing at Blackburn and he was someone I thought might make a difference and that is just what he did for us.

2) John Bostock

He is everything that every club in the world needs and that is a captain who never hides and leads by example. He has had great average ratings and chips in with goals and assists so credit to him.

3) Damiano Mura

He was one of my first signings when I took over. He is the Italian u21 Keeper. This guy has been a dream and again one of the best keepers I have ever worked with.

Around the leagues

Serie A

Winners: Udinese

Relegated: Torino, Arezzo, Monza

Serie B

Winners: Mantova

Promoted: Empoli, Livorno

Relegated: Ancona, Sassuolo, Rimini, Cittadella

Italian Cup: Genoa

Italian Super Cup: Genoa

Premier League

Winners: Man Utd

Relegated: Birmingham, Notts Co, Tottenham

Other English Winners

Championship: Nottm Forest

League 1: Plymouth

League 2: Crewe

FA Cup: Man City

League Cup: Ipswich

Community Shield: QPR

JPT: Colchester

FA Trophy: Alfreton

European Winners

European Cup: Man City

Euro Cup: Sampdoria

European Super Cup: Roma

Club World Champ: Internacional

World Cup: Winners France beating Scotland 1-0 in Final

Fiorentina - Season 22 - 23 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Safe Mid Table

Italian Cup: First Round

Media Pred:

Transfer Budget: 12.75m

Wage: £700k

Current Wage Spend: £674k

Current Manager Rep: Continental

Alright here we go another season and I want to improve on where we are and where we want to be. Looking at my squad I need to sign two really good players and I need a goal scorer and a defender. And you know what I think I found my two players and these I think will be the two players to take me into the top 6. These players are Lucien Salaun and Nicolas Stagliano. I think with a little luck and a little more solid form then I am certain of improving on my 10th spot and hit the top 6th.

Just a brief update as I have now played the first four league games of the season and I have seen something quite intresting.

I said to you all that there were two things that had to be inmproved and that was a tighter back line and scoring more goals well over my first four games 1 out of 2 aint bad.

After four I am top with 12 points scored 4 conceeded 0 so does that make me George Graham in the making or a real Italian Manager!

Also what I did not say in the above update I decided to walk away from Ivory Coast so that I can concentrate on Fiorentina.

It is funny because so far in this third season with Fiorentina my record is played 11 won 10 drew 1 lost 0 and top clear by 10 so I think I have settled and things just seem to be going good at Fiorentina.

My heart is there but I am really just looking for that club that I will move to and I will form a legacy but at the moment I am not saying that Fiorentina is not that club.

What has changed to change your side from mid-table battlers to runaway leader? Has your new defender tightened up your defence that much?

Good luck for the rest of the season :thup:

All I have done is bought in a new defender and a new striker and suddenly one of my coaches told me in the backroom staff meeting that they recomend 4132 as a formation so I have tried it out and things are just better.

Also cheers WH and good luck with the Bulldogs as well

Fiorentina 22-23 - End of Season review

OK before I get on with telling you how my season went I just want to say the following Thank you. Thank you to this community for your careers and the whole Journeyman this has made me love FM once again and you guys have been a inspiration for me to want to do this kind of long term game so thank you all and I hope I am not boring any of you with my career yet.

OK on to my career... How do I put it..... Oh yes thats it.....

CHAMPIONS!

Let me say that again CHAMPIONS!

So I can put a Serie A championship medal next to my FA Trophy winners medal and you know what now I have doubled my winners medals it has made me a world class manager. My progress this season in Serie A I did not drop below fifth and was top of the table for a long period of time. On top of this I managed to get the leagues top scorer however again in the league cup a rather poor showing as I was eliminated again in round 1. So next season I have the fun that is the champions league and I cannot wait.

A little sad news however is that this is the final season of his career for Elias Wagner who is retiring at the end of the season and no sign of staying on. So his whole career shows played: 319 Goals: 44 Assists: 63 MoM: 16 Average rating: 7.00

Key Players-Player of the Year - Nicolas Stagliano

1) Francesco Ausilio

A really solid performance throughout the season and he led my defence well and was a ever present. Only 1 goal and 1 assist to his name.

2) Nicolas Stagliano

A amazing first season and one of the best signings I have made in my career. This guy is a goal machine. 24 goals and a average rating 7.17. So amazing first season.

3) John Bostock

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC! This guy has led the team with distinction and is a player that I am very proud of as part of my team. 12 assists, Average rating: 7.18.

4) Damiano Mura

Can I just say brilliant keeper who led my team at the back with a incredible amout of clean sheets. Played: 37, Conceeded: 20, Clean Sheets: 22, Average Rating: 7.02

Around the leagues

Serie A

Winners: Fiorentina

Relegated: Empoli, Frosinone, Cagliari

Serie B

Winners: AlbinoLeffe

Promoted: Taranto, Parma

Relegated: Piacenza, Arezzo, Ternana, Ravenna

Italian Cup: Roma

Italian Super Cup: Genoa

Premier League

Winners: Everton

Relegated: Portsmouth, Nottm Forest, Sheff Utd

Other English Winners

Championship: Notts County

League 1: Peterbrough

League 2: Mansfield

FA Cup: Chelsea

League Cup: Man City

Community Shield: Man City

JPT: Bristol City

FA Trophy: Chelenham

European Winners

European Cup: At. Madrid

Euro Cup: Sevilla

European Super Cup: Man City

Club World Champ: Man City

Fiorentina - Season 23 - 24 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Qual. for Euro Cup

Italian Cup: Quarter Final

Euro Champ Cup: Group Stage

Italian Super Cup: Not bothered

Media Pred: 5th

Transfer Budget: 39m

Wage: 685k p/w

Current Wage Spend: 605k p/w

Current Manager Rep: World Class

I will start with how much chaos winning a title can cause. Everyone of my players has been targeted by other clubs and unrest follows. Then there is me so far this summer I have turned down job offers from West Ham, Sunderland, Wolves and the media approached me about the vacant job at Real Madrid but before I knew it I had said I would be intrested but they had appointed Ciro Ferrara.

So then onwards to the season. I have turned down a new deal at Fiorentina as I still have a year to run on my current deal and I do plan to see out my deal but the new deal was with a pay cut and you know what I do not want that. I have decided that I am going to move to clubs I want to for the deal I want so my next move I am going to enjoy.

So onto my season well I have decided that I am going to enjoy it. I am going to see if I can take another title and enjoy my trip to Europe and see where it all takes me. I am still really enjoying this career and am wondering where it will take me next but for now onto my next season in Italy. Lets see what else I can do.

Nice one :thup:

Its good to see that flat line on the progress chart once you hit the top spot.

Hope you can get more success this season to cement your place as a top class manager. It could allow for some great opportunities for your next club.

What's the plan next? Rebuild a struggling club? Or take a big club and try to build a legacy?

Best of luck and well done.

I dont know to be honest. This summer made me think. With all the job offers coming in maybe my next move should be to a established club and have a relaxed time at a club.

I am pretty sure now that I could get any job that is available to me. I will stop my journey and join a club and turn them into a force but I need to find that club. Also if the right club who are struggling comes along and needs help then I will go but from now on I will choose my clubs.

Make a note of this date after 3 years in charge at Fiorentina and a League Title well the move has happened and it is a move back to England and a move to Old Trafford as I am now the new manager of Manchester United after signing a 4 year deal on 82K per week wages.

Manchester United - Season 23 - 24 - November 2023

Board Expectation

League: Not being judged

European Champs Cup: Not being judged

FA Cup: Final

League Cup: Not being Judged

Media Pred: 2nd

Transfer Budget: 54M

Wage: 1.3M p/w

Current Wage Spend: 890k p/w

OK the debt is still around but there are no Glazers in charge but when do you always get a chance to manage Man Utd. I look at this squad of players and they are a shadow of what they were. I am going to use this season to sort out the squad and get the strength of the squad up and turn us into a bit of a force again. However this is where I am going to be judged I am at Man Utd and in the shadow of Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson. I am not a Man Utd fan but I do understand the herritage of this club and I know this could be more titles or back to the bottom and start again.

OK first three games in charge of United went as follows.

Man Utd 2 (Wilkinson 2) - Ajax 1 - European Champions Cup

This was a very solid performance and two very good goals from what looks like a talented winger who has not been used that often. Ajax scored in injury time at the end of the match but I was impressed with what I saw.

Man Utd 0 - QPR 0 - Premier League

I was pleased with the defensive performance here and we looked good. The majority of the QPR team I bought to the club and man did I put together a decent team. However we made some good clear cut chances but could not finish them.

Stoke 3 - Man Utd 1 (Heiko Doll) - Premier League

Oh dear there is nothing positive I can say about this we were very very poor and it proves how weak the squad actually are so I know what I need in January. However Stoke were 2nd going into the game but there really was no excuse.

After these games we currently sit 7th and 7 points off the league leaders Man City. We have however qualified from the group stage as group winners and we could get Fiorentina in the next round and that would not shock me after they finish second in their group.

• 3 weeks later...

Manchester United 23 - 24 - End of Season review

So my journey has led me to one of the biggest teams in England, if not the world and this has meant that the challenges have stepped up to another level so how would I cope. It was clear very early on that the team are on the slide and not the force that I remembered and they were sitting 6th when I took over. None of the strikers were scoring and they leaked goals for fun. I knew between Novemeber and January was going to be a struggle and how right I was by the time 2024 came around we were 13th so to finish in 4th in the League I was really happy as it meant another season in the champions league. We were unconvincing in the FA Cup which led to a sixth round exit and also a exit in the Champions Cup at the hands of Fiorentina so my old boys and none of my new signings could play and my hero in the second leg was a youngster I decided to blood. Two big positives thou was winning Player of the year and Young Player of the Year. I really do think that next season will be a good one as my side takes shape and lets see if I can take Man United back to the top with this stupid debt in toe.

Key Players-Player of the Year -

1) Stuart MacDonald

A fantastic striker who I will be building my side around. This is something I decided a while ago. Signing this guy was my last act as QPR manager and never got to see him play but watched him progress and he is in the same mould as some of the best strikers in the world. Also a average rating of 7.60 no slouch.

2) Rafael

This is a player I found and signed for Fiorentina and the second I saw this guy I knew where ever I went next I wanted to take this guy with me and help him develop. He is my Rooney, My Cantana, My Tevez. I think this is the man to partner MacDonald and be the man to help the club to be a force once more.

3) Mark Christie

A good solid keeper who for me once I got him competion for the number one spot he stepped up showed everyone how great a keeper he is.

Special mention for a football legend who I found at Man United and became my captain and is now a coach and that man it....

Cesc Fabregas

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners: Arsenal

Relegated: Notts Co, West Ham, Burnley

Championship

Winners: Ipswich

Promoted: Coventry, Norwich

League 1

Winners: Bradford

Promoted: Bristol City, Sheff Wed

League 2

Winners: Tranmere

Promoted: MK Dons, Southend, Rushden

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Aldershot

Promoted: Brighton

Blue Square North

Winners: Wrexham

Promoted: Forest Green

Blue Square South

Winners: AFC Wimbledon

Promoted: Hayes & Yeading

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Man City

League Cup: QPR

JPT: Bradford

Community Shield: Everton

FA Trophy: Solihull Moors

European Cup: Celtic

Euro Cup: Standard

Club World Champions: Athletico Madrid

European Super Cup: Celtic

European Championships: England

Manchester United 23 - 24 - End of Season review

Key Players-Player of the Year -

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners:

Relegated:

Championship

Winners:

Promoted:

League 1

Winners:

Promoted:

League 2

Winners:

Promoted:

Blue Square Premier

Winners:

Promoted:

Blue Square North

Winners:

Promoted:

Blue Square South

Winners:

Promoted:

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Aston

League Cup:

JPT:

Community Shield:

FA Trophy:

European Cup:

Euro Cup:

Club World Champions:

European Super Cup:

Has World War III interrupted proceedings?

Manchester United - Season 24 - 25 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Qual. Euro Cup

FA Cup: Reach Final

League Cup: Not important

Champions Cup: Semi Final

Media Pred: 3rd

Transfer Budget: 45m

Wage: 1.3m p/w

Current Wage Spend: 1.0m p/w

I am happy how last season finished as we managed to qualify for the champions league but I know well that next season I will be judged and I will be watched to see if I can return Man Utd to the top. To be fair the board do not expect the title which I am amazed about because this is Man Utd. For me I really want us to improve on last season or at least match because for me Man Utd should be Champions League every season. I am glad I made the step to Old Trafford this really is a chance to see if I can do it.

Additionally this season after the heroics of the England team in the European Championships the manager Alan Shearer has stood down and I have been appointed as the new England head coach. It is simple the FA want us to qualify for the World Cup so here I go.

Looking at the England squad I really would say this is the golden era for English football. We even have reliable penalty takers and depth everywhere.

lol about the United comment they are not everyones club but are a big part of football history so for me it is a bit of a really big chance to bring them back to the top and also improve my CV in the process.

Ignore the guys on here giving you s**t about going to Utd Paggio, most people will admit that managing any of

Man Utd

Barcelona

Real Madrid

AC Milan

Juventus

Arsenal

Liverpool

is a big deal due to their real-life history in football.

It's a great read, but then I expect that from a fellow RAM so keep it up dude!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Manchester United / England 24 - 25 - End of Season review

Ok anyone who has been reading my career knows full well that so far I am easily happy in the sense that as long as the team progresses then I am happy. I find as long as there is a improvment then I am happy. So this season for me has been pleasing. Overall in the Premier League and the fact that we ended up as runners up to a very strong Man City but I do feel we are on the verge of the title but the Progress is there. The next big sucsess for me is the fact that we lifted the League Cup so this is something I can be proud of. However I was a little disappointed with theFA Cup campaign were we got knocked out by Championship Notts County and it made me feel annoyed as I did think we could have done a double.

Another pleasing point in this season was a improved Champions League performance was pleasing reaching the semi final and knocking Man City out in the quarter finals made me feel really satisfied.

Moving over to the international career and so far so good. I am still undefeated as England boss with my able assistant Jamie Carragher by my side we are still well on the way to qualification for the World Cup but also the amazing achievment of lifting the Confederations Cupand also we are still ranked number one in the world.

Key Players-Player of the Year - Stuart MacDonald

There were going to be other players but I have suffered a bit of a technical fault.

Around the leagues

Premierleague

Winners: Man City

Relegated: Ipswich, Tottenham, Norwich

Championship

Winners: Birmingham

Promoted: Burnley, Notts County

League 1

Winners: Cardiff

Promoted: Oxford, Kettering

League 2

Winners: Fleetwood

Promoted: Doncaster, Chester, Colchester

Blue Square Premier

Winners: Grimsby

Promoted: Scunthorpe

Blue Square North

Winners: Stevenage

Promoted: Luton

Blue Square South

Winners: Brentford

Promoted: Dartford

Cup Winners

FA Cup: Fulham

League Cup: Man Utd

JPT: Cardiff

Community Shield: Arsenal

FA Trophy: AFC Wimbledon

European Cup: Roma

Euro Cup: Q.P.R

Club World Champions: Celtic

European Super Cup: Celtic

Confederations Cup: England

Manchester United / England - Season 24 - 25 - Start of season

Board Expectation

League: Qual for Euro cup

FA Cup: Final

League Cup: Not important

Champions Cup: Semi Final

Media Pred: 2nd

Transfer Budget: 42m

Wage: 1.28m per week

Current Wage Spend: 1.10m per week

Again I really want to carry on and progress. So again I am looking for us to challenge in all departments and make us a real challenger in all competions. I have decided that until the January transfer window I am not going to invest in any new players as the main players I have are young and talented and some of the youngsters that are on the way through would help. If things are not going well then I will spend in the January window. So here we go for another exciting season.

Internationally it is simple the challenge is to make the World Cup and get that second star because you guessed it England have not won the World Cup since 1966 so there is the challenge there.

If there are any questions about any players or clubs this far on then please ask.

A good read as ever however it does seem to be rather inconsistent, a long period of silence followed by a spurt of activity. It seems like you've now reached a calm within your career and therefore there is less action than there was at your previous clubs, its a pity but I guess its a good thing (career-wise).

My work has been chaos so that is why I have been quiet not had much time to play. However now I am playing again and pushing on again. I know for a fact that there is only so long I will stay at Utd and be ready to move on again and who knows where the next step will be but at the moment I am enjoying returning Man Utd to the top and breaking Man City's dominance. Also looking forward to bringing through some talented youngsters.

England qualify for World Cup Argentina 2026 with two games in hand.

That now means I am in the biggest international championships and now to see if I can hit my big target of gaining Englands second star.

Already looking forward to your next club. You love the challenge of building a team up dont you. Keep up the good work, you are progressing well :thup:

I know what you mean about work going crazy, I'm struggling to get a day off at the moment, let alone time to play.

OK a quick update. January has come and gone and very little transfer activity at Man Utd. I had a crisis in Midfield so have had to invest in a 24 year old Italian Midfielder who I first signed at QPR at a 17 year old and followed me to Fiorentina and has now joined me at United. He will push my midfield once I get everyone back. The player in question is Mauizio Pallotti. He did cost me a fair amount but it was needed and the money spent was money I had made through player sales so I am happy with the control there.

Further updates... Man Utd are in the League Cup final for the second year running so hope to defend that title. In the premier league we are currently 3rd behind Man City in 2nd and Everton who are top. We are 5 points off top with two games in hand so feel positive.

FA Cup we are through to round 5 so still happy there and in the champions league we are in the first knockout and a really difficult tie against AS Roma.

So there we go still fighting and more soon.

Archived