[FM10] Frank? He Hate Me. Tales of an increasingly average manager.

Terk

Too far mate :rolleyes: Turn off the computer, go out (yes I know you don't like daylight after hibernating in front of FM for so long), and talk to some real PEOPLE, in a bar if you must

Yeah, I kind of figured I'd gone too far at that point :D But interaction with real people is over rated anyway :p

And DodgeeD, Notts County are doing very well with Woodgate in charge, currently sitting 7th in the Championship, just a point outside the play-off zone. It would be great to see them in the Premier League next season. And on the subject of my former clubs, Pescara are challenging for promotion to Serie A this season whilst Montrose are enjoying themselves in the Scottish 2nd Division after winning promotion last season :thup:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2013/14

Part 4: March 2014

Premier League

25. Reading (away), drew 2-2

Having scaled the summit of the table, this wasn't the way to celebrate. Possebon put them in front, Rami and Torres got us into a winning position but then we gifted Simon Church an equaliser. Terk not happy.

26. Fulham (away), won 3-1

Anything other than a win would have had me thinking we were trying to throw this away, but Gadi, Gerrard and Carragher saw to it that we came through, although Edixon Perea temporarily threw a spanner in the works when he levelled the scores at 1-1.

27. Aston Villa (home), won 2-0

A very tough game got tougher on the hour when Mascherano picked up his second yellow card, but trust Stevie Gerrard to step up at the right time and bang in two goals in the last fifteen minutes to see us home. He may be old but he's still good.

28. Man Utd (away), drew 1-1

Having just faced them in the FA Cup (more of that later) we stole a point from Old Trafford when Mascherano equalised in the 88th minute, parting Shrek from his joy at having apparently scored the winner. Poor Shrek.

29. Wigan (home), won 2-0

The players were clearly getting nervous atop the league as the performance level had definitely dropped since the Arsenal game, but a late Torres double was enough to see off a hard working Wigan side.

30. Stoke (away), drew 3-3

Another game (like West Brom earlier in the season) where we threw the opposition a two goal lead, allowing Jô to twice stroll through our defence after Gadi had levelled Toivanen's opener. We threw everything at them late on and goals from Dalla Valle and Gerrard stole us a point.

31. Newcastle (home), won 4-0

That's more like it. A proper win. Gadi continued his good form, grabbing a hat-trick and setting up our other goal for Torres. Hopefully that blows away the cobwebs and we can seal this title.

32. Wolves (away), lost 4-1

Hmm, maybe not. Torres puts us in front after eight minutes but then everything went, as the saying goes, tits up. First, Eren Derdiyok equalised on the quarter hour, then Liam Ridgewell stuck them ahead with a thumping header. Chris Cohen put them 3-1 up just before the hour mark and the league's top scorer, Marcus Berg, rounded it off late on.

F.A Cup

5th Round. Man Utd (away), lost 2-1

We were second best throughout, to be honest, so I can't say I was too surprised when Danny Welbeck stepped up in the 90th minute to tap home the rebound from Rooney's saved shot. Rooney had put them in front early on but Gueye equalised and gave us hope, but it was not too be. Only the league to focus on now.

Impressive Players

There were a number who played very well, though none who really shone as our performance levels definitely dropped through February and March. Chris Gadi did well enough, however, to grab the March Young Player of the Month award, the unfortunate news was that he signed a new contract with Real Madrid which upped his buy out clause from £7.75M to £21M :(

Summary

We started this period with a three point lead over Man United, we ended it with a three point lead over Chelsea. We've had the chance to build up a big points cushion at times but nerves have got to the players and I have my doubts as to whether we'll hold on, but they may be answered in our very next game, Chelsea at home. Talk about a crunch match.

Brave statement saying you want to return to Pescara.

Dont they always say never go back.

They do indeed, but I loved my time there and feel I have unfinished business (more so than I do with Notts County). Hopefully it would be one of the few examples of a wise return.

2013/14

Part 5: Summary

Well, aren't you lucky people. I got carried away playing tonight and finished the season, so figured I'd update you.

Premier League

33. Chelsea (home), lost 3-0

After the desperately poor performance against Wolves, this was not what was needed. Probably the worst performance from one of my teams since Montrose got done in 4-1 by Livingston, we allowed them to control everything about the game, and goals from Danny Sturridge (2) and Edinson Cavani saw them tie us on points.

34. Everton (home), won 5-3

Game faces needed for this one on the back of two horrible defeats. 1-1 at half time, Torres and Evans swapping goals, then the **** hit the fan when Michael Johnson put them in front. Not nice at all, but Torres equalised from the kick off, Gerrard got us back in front and Gadi came off the bench to make us safe with two stunning strikes. Kranjcar notched a late penalty for them, but it wasn't enough.

35. Tottenham (away), won 2-0

As we beat Everton, Chelsea were held by Sunderland, so we had breathing space again. And we confirmed it with a good win here, a controlled, systematic performance seeing us to victory thanks to goals from Torres and Gerrard.

36 Birmingham (away), lost 2-0

With Chelsea held at home by Arsenal before we faced Birmingham, we were in a situation where two wins from our last three would almost certainly guarantee us the title. So losing this one to second half goals from Stefano Okaka and Cameron Jerome, given that we had to face Man City next, was not ideal.

37. Man City (home), won 5-3

Crunch time, win or bust, whatever you want to call it. Very much bust after seventeen minutes when Sneijder and Robinho had struck inside a minute to put us two down. Tactical tinkering needed, pushing Gerrard up to form a front three, but it was Gueye who provided the two goals for Torres to pull us level at half time. A hat-trick for the Spaniard followed, but celebrations cut short as Zabaleta made it 3-3. Torres set up Gueye for #4 though, and then smashed himself a fourth late on to make sure. Horrid game to watch, great result.

38. West Ham (away), won 2-1

With Man Utd 1 point behind us and Chelsea 2 points behind us, 'all' we needed was a win. Gueye crossed for Torres to head home in the 6th minute, then Gadi scored a stunning effort on 37. Chelsea took the lead against Villa on the hour, just after Gio dos Santos had scored for West Ham. Made it a very nervous last half hour, but we hung on for the win and the title.

League Positions Graph

Key Players

He may have had a bit of a meltdown in patches of the final third of the season, but Pepe Reina still won us points and was vital for the title. In front of him, Javier Mascherano just got better as the season progressed and pulled both Rami and Skrtel out of trouble as they crumbled late on in the season.

Steven Gerrard finally got his league winner's medal and proved that there is life in the old legs yet with a very influential season, though he did have trouble completing ninety minutes of a game. Chris Gadi, like Mascherano, got better and better, and now that Real are stonewalling my enquiries, I'm gutted that I didn't arrange a future fee when we signed the loan and they didn't want him. He continued his late season form with a win in the April Young Player of the Month.

The undoubted star though, was Fernando Torres. His average rating was weighted down by the fact that he did put in some woeful performances at times, but so often he scored the crucial goals when we needed him most, and 31 league strikes is his best return for the club yet, enough to see him overhaul Marcus Berg for the league's top scorer. Inter have stated an interest, but they can think again.

Summary

A season beyond all expectations, but by no means an easy one. Whenever it looked like we would pull away, we contrived to throw a few results and keep the chasing pack interested, but in the end the combination of Gerrard and Torres did enough to see us over the line. The cups weren't great, but I'll continue my youth policy in the league cup next year and, as everyone knows, defending a title is harder than winning it.

In terms of the future with Liverpool, I want to get us back ahead of Man United on league wins (tied on 19 now) and win Champions League #6 before I head on to pastures new (or old).

Old Club Watch

Let's have a little look at how my three previous clubs are doing.

Montrose

I left after only a short stint at the club, but I'm still happy to see them doing well in my absence. Youth coach John Wood took the reigns after I left, guiding them to 7th place in 2009/10 before a much improved season saw them secure the Division 3 title in 2010/11. The following season didn't go so well and they were relegated via the play-offs, but they kept faith with Wood and bounced straight back, finishing 2nd behind Forfar in Division 3 and winning the promotion play-offs. This season was another struggle, but a final day home win over East Stirling secured their place in Division 2 for next year.

Pescara

I joined Pescara soon after leaving Montrose, and guided them to Serie B before jumping what I felt was a sinking ship. The board appointed Elvio Selighini in my place and he remains at the club today. He took them to safety in the year I left (2011/12) with a 16th placed finish before last season saw them finish 7th, just one place (though 10 points) outside the play-off zone. For much of this season they looked set for better, but tailed off in the final third and had to settle for ninth place. Tomas Pekhart remains on the Adriatic coast and has now netted over 50 league goals for the club.

Notts County

Having taken Notts County the League 1 title (and Shane Long to a 40+ goal season), I left Meadow Lane with a heavy heart, but was pleased when Jonathan Woodgate left Real Madrid's youth set up to take over. The success continued under Woodgate, and they spent the whole season in and around the play-off places. Eventually they finished 5th, facing Middlesbrough in the play-offs, but they went down 4-2 on aggregate to Gareth Southgate's men.

Great job on winning the league Terk! Congratz! :D

Pity Gadi won't be with the club when your club returns to the Champions League. I always arrange a future fee just in case I decide to get a particular player permanently to the club. :thup:

What happened to Wolves... :(

Cheers, rancer :)

I wasn't convinced Gadi would be very good, I just brought him in because I needed numbers up front so I didn't bother with the future fee. Of course I did arrange a future fee of £10M for Murray McManus, but based on his play this season he isn't worth £10.

After Wolves beat us they suffered heavy defeats to Aston Villa, Arsenal and Man Utd which scuppered their season. It will be interesting to see how they do in the Europa League; if Marcus Berg performs as well as he did this year then I could see them having a good run.

The biggest shock of the season, however, was Genoa beating Real Madrid in the Champions League final :eek:

14-05-20CL.jpg

Congrats on the title Terk. Hopefully, all that prize money and CL revenue for next season will sort out the financial mess and allow Liverpool to borrow more money again. :p

Are you in for the long haul with them? Or will you move on if you get the Premier and Champions League titles next season?

Cheers, DodgeeD :) I don't believe that the CL will solve all my financial problems, but a good run in it wouldn't hurt. And I'm staying at Liverpool for at least as long as it takes to win another title and the CL, and probably a while after that too. The only job that would really tempt me away would be the Pescara job, but Elvio Selighini seems pretty well set there now.

2014/15

Preview

It seems that the board have accepted that last season's magnificent league success perhaps came a bit early in the redevelopment of the side, and so they aren't demanding a repeat this year. They are demanding a top four finish and they want us to reach at least the Quarter finals of the Champions League, but all that should be within our capabilities. With the club still losing an average of between £7M and £9M per month last season, I'm still being very careful with my spending, and this year I don't have the luxury of nearly £60M worth of talent to punt out of the door. It looks set to be a more frugal summer at Anfield.

We also took a major hit on the sponsorship front this summer, as our main kit deal of £20M per season ran out and was replaced with a 4 year deal worth £12M per season. Various other little deals won us back £85,000 per season, but that barely makes a dent in the shortfall. With the sponsorship money, the prize money from last season and this year's TV money, we are at least solvent, but I'm expecting another year of money simply leaking out of the club.

Info

Bank Balance: £29,398,050

Transfer Budget: £35,518,041

Wage Budget: £918,350 per week

Wage Bill: £808,613 per week

Board Expectation: Top 4

Media Prediction: 3rd

2013/14 Supporters' Player of the Year: Fernando Torres

ghend, I've never really got anywhere with Liverpool on FM since FM07. I like the idea of managing them, but I usually get bored with it pretty quickly. I think it was the extra challenge of the financial problems that really got me into it this time.

salkster, Stuart Pearce is currently England manager. Capello left after Euro 2012.

I'll likely have the first update of the 2014/15 season up at some point tonight.

2014/15

Part 1: September 2014

Transfers

Having made a massive profit in the market last year, and with Champions League money this season, I allowed myself the luxury of a net transfer spend of £0, though Rafaele Palladino's loan took me £1M over :( The big money movers were Babel \o/ to Fulham for £6M, Dirk Marcellis to Barcelona for £8M and Adrien to Ascoli for £7.75M. I continued the philosophy of bringing young players in and got a couple who my scouts think are real potential gems and mostly just padded the quality of my 1st team. The Arshavin singing is probably heart ruling head a little bit, but I love the little meerkat, so how could I refuse him? Overall I'm pretty happy with what was brought in.

Community Shield

vs Tottenham, drew 2-2 (lost 6-5 on penalties)

A tough game in which we fielded three or four youngsters, but still our performance in the first hour was unacceptable. We fought back well late on to force penalties, but when Bosingwa twatted his effort off the crossbar, Alaba was never going to miss the winning kick.

Premier League

1. Newcastle (away), won 1-0

Not the easiest of starts, but we flew out of the blocks with Torres opening his account for the season early and then we toughed out the battle that ensued, Pepe Reina doing enough to pick up Man of the Match.

2. Chelsea (home), drew 2-2

After the corresponding fixture last season, I wasn't looking forward to this. It was a cagey battle early on, with Torres and Cavani swapping strikes to leave it 1-1 on the half hour, but Torres was stunningly set up by Insúa to make it 2-1 at the break. We looked to have them contained in the second half, but Toulalan popped up late on with an equaliser. Bugger.

3. Everton, (away), won 4-3

For eighty minutes this was a lot easier than it sounded. A double from Adil Rami and a fine strike from Dalla Valle had us three up before Ched Evans got them a half time consolation. Arshavin restored our three goal advantage, but in the last ten we eased off, letting Evans scored twice more and, quite frankly, giving me the ***** for the last couple minutes of the game.

4. Wigan (home), won 3-0

A supposedly easy one after a tough start, and it proved to be just that, Torres scoring twice and Rami once in a simple victory.

5. Wolves (away), won 6-3

Mental. That's the only word to describe this game. A scoring pattern of Torres, Berg, Torres, Henry, Torres, Berg had us level at 3-3 with just over an hour played. After our experience here last season, I was more than a little frustrated, but that died away in the last twenty minutes when Torres grabbed his fourth and Palladino came off the bench to net a late double.

6. Middlesbrough (home), won 5-0

We've gone goal crazy. Palladino scored after 14 seconds and had another in the 20th minute. Between the two strikes Rami headed in twice, and Palladino completed his hat-trick with a 40th minute penalty. Either we're very good, or 'Boro are very, very ****.

7. Tottenham (away), won 1-0

Chance for Community Shield revenge, and we started well, Palladino's superb run setting up Bertrand Priso for what turned out to be the only goal. We could have had a few more, but so could they. Another superb performance from Pepe Reina.

Champions League

We were seeded third and handed a tough group alongside Juventus and Bayern Munich, whilst Zulte Waregem will take up the role of whipping boys.

Matchday 1. Juventus (home), won 3-2

Another game that should have been easier than the scoreline but for a few defensive lapses. Arshavin and Dalla Valle banged us into a comfortable early lead before Michele Paolucci pulled one back. Rami headed in just before the break, but Sebastian Giovinco's goal made the last half hour very difficult to watch.

League Cup

3rd Round. vs Swindon (away), lost 2-1

The average age of the League Cup this season dropped to 22.27, but it didn't have too long to impress, conceding twice from early free kicks and unable to make their way back. It didn't help that Swindon tried to kick us off the park, forcing David Drake and Pedro Pacheco off injured in the first half, but we should have done better. Karim Boulanger came off the bench to score our goal.

Key Players

It will mostly be the same crowd as last season on whom I am relying, and Torres has already got off to a stunning start, winning himself Player of the Month in both August and September. Stevie Gerrard has moved into the stage of his career where his game time has to be managed to get the most out of his play, so Kevin Thomson and Tom Huddlestone with both get their chances.

Pepe Reina and Adil Rami both suffered at the tale end of last season but are vital to our plans this time around, so must maintain the form that they've started the season in. And if Andrey Arshavin can have an impact off the bench then I'll be very happy.

Youngsters

Given that I'm trying to hoover up the best young talent around, I should probably give a report on how the best of it is doing. There are two who have broken in to be real first team members now, Bertrand Priso, who was at the club when I joined and is turning into a very good right winger, and Ricardo, who I brought in last season at the continued urging of my scouts and looks like taking José Bosingwa's place in the line up sooner rather than later.

Thomas Larsen is someone that my coaches feel has a very good future in the game and is fourth choice striker right now whilst Karim Boulanger only joined in the summer but has already made a very favourable impression. One I will certainly be keeping my eye on is Liam Sims, who moved from the academy to the U-18 side this summer and is rated very highly indeed by my youth coaches.

Summary

A very good start indeed to the league season and a promising opening to our Champions League campaign. We are letting in a few too many goals at times, but we are also capable of being rock solid at the back - I haven't quite figured out how to balance that out perfectly yet. The league cup defeat was obviously disappointing, but my biggest worry in the early days of the season in just how ominous Arsenal look. Having lost Arsène Wenger to the France job, they brought in Tony Mowbray from Celtic and to say he's had a good start would be a little bit of an understatement. Hopefully someone's knocked them off their unbeaten perch before we face them in December.

Cheers, rancer :) Scoring is fun.

Plymouth are a feeder club, this season is the first I've sent people on loan there and it doesn't seem to be doing them much good :D They got promoted in 09/10 but went straight back down having won only 4 games in the Premier League. Since then they've finished 13th, 3rd and 15th in the Championship but this season they're 21st after 12 games. The best of the loanees sent there has been José Manuel Fernández Martínez, a 19 year old Spanish AMRC but neither Diego Grieco nor Paulo Alves have covered themselves in glory for them. If they do go down I'll likely cancel the link and look for another Championship club.

And in terms of the youngsters, I was lucky to join a club that has magnificent scouts. Unfortunately my best, Eduardo Macia, has been stolen by Atletico Madrid this summer, but I've brought in Oliver Bierhoff to replace him and he looks to be a good judge of talent as well.

Been a bit of a silent follower Terk but just want to wish you luck in the future FM seasons!

I see this as the ideal journey man career, starting off in obscurity at Montrose, working your way through Pescara and Notts County before hittng the big time with Liverpool!

KUTGW :thup:

2014/15

Part 1: September 2014

Transfers

The Arshavin singing is probably heart ruling head a little bit, but I love the little meerkat, so how could I refuse him? Overall I'm pretty happy with what was brought in.

Hahhahahah i love arshavin, he's quality and getting him on a free is a bargain

Congratz on a good start to the season, your scoring rate is very impressive

2014/15

Part 2: November 2014

Premier League

8. Blackburn (home), won 5-2

The season had undoubtedly started well, and it continued in this game, even with Ross Turnbull getting the nod in goal ahead of a slightly injured Pepe Reina. We were 4-0 up at the break (Palladino, Torres, Rami and Gerrard with the goals) before Davoid Hoilett pulled two back for the visitors, and then Rami rounded the game off with our fifth.

9. Sunderland (away), drew 2-2

A dull first half, anything but in the second. We went a bit more attacking after the break and paid for it, Fraizer Campbell notching twice to put them in a commanding position. We then went a lot more attacking and managed to rescue a point through goals from Torres and Gueye.

10. Aston Villa (away), lost 3-1

That's the unbeaten start to the season done with, then. We were blown away from start to finish, only a late Diego Cavalieri own goal getting us on the score sheet. A great first half from Villa, goals from Delfouneso and Young (2) ensuring that they got the points.

11. Man City (home), lose 3-2

That sound you hear is the wheels falling off the wagon. 2-0 down inside eight minutes (Sneijder and Robinho), we pulled one back (Gerrard) only to concede another before half time (Robinho). We cut the deficit to one again with eight minutes left (Torres) but couldn't force an equaliser.

12. Fulham (home), won 3-0

This had to be win time, otherwise our challenge was as good as over already. Thankfully it was, with Ricardo netting early, followed by goals from Gerrard and Gueye to ensure the win.

13. Q.P.R. (home), won 3-0

A chance to build up a bit of momentum, perhaps, and Ricardo again headed us into an early lead. Gerrard again doubled it before half time, but this time it was Dalla Valle, rather than Gueye, who grabbed the third.

14. West Ham (away), won 4-3

An entertaining game for the neutral, without doubt. It was 1-1 after twelve minutes, Torres and Wahbi Khazri swapping goals before a quick double strike from Palladino seemingly put us in control. Khazri made it 2-3 on forty minutes, but Gerrard restored our two goal lead before half time. We thought it was job done, but Gio dos Santos' goal on 78 gave us a few nervous moments. Three wins on the bounce though and back in the frame.

15. Stoke (home), lost 1-0

Have I ever been more embarrassed by a performance on FM? No, don't think so. Toothless, lifeless, pathetic and many other words which would simply end up ****. Tom Soares grabbed the only effort and kept us in fourth place.

Champions League

Matchday 2. Zulte Waregem (away), won 2-0

A relatively straightforward game with goals from Torres and Carragher sealing the win.

Matchday 3. FC Bayern (away), won 3-2

An absolutely superb performance which really put us in the driving seat in the group. An early goal from Gerrard put us ahead, but the Germans fought back and led through Chinedu Obasi and Mario Gómez. Not to worry, Torres struck twice in the last ten minutes to win the points (and half a million pounds).

Matchday 4. FC Bayern (home), drew 0-0

Pretty dull all round, to be honest. No real chances for either side.

Matchday 5. Juventus (away), won 3-2

I like these 3-2 Group Stage wins. 1-1 at half time, Gerrard and David Romera scoring the goals, but we took control in the second period with a Dalla Valle super strike and an own goal from Claudio Marchisio. Romera pulled one back with three minutes left, but too little, too late and the win means that we've won the group with a game to spare.

Impressive Players

No one gets a mention in this section because I'm still fuming about the defeat to Stoke (and Aston Villa, and Man City) so they're all ****.

Summary

Three defeats have put a big dent in our title aspirations, but at least both Villa and Man City beat Arsenal as well. There is a definite split between the top four and the rest - Chelsea have been particularly woeful this season - but we have to go on a run to keep up with Villa and Citeh, both of whom look a class above the rest so far. The Champions League has been going well though, nice to win the group with a game to spare.

15. Stoke (home), lost 1-0

Have I ever been more embarrassed by a performance on FM? No, don't think so. Toothless, lifeless, pathetic and many other words which would simply end up ****.

There's always one performance that just beggars belief! Well, in my experience at least one :o

Terk - what tactic are you using to score so mny goals?, your scoring almost 3 a game in the league :eek: its crazy:D

Since joining Notts County I've generally been playing differing versions of am asymmetrical 4-4-2, tweaked depending on who we are playing. I've used the same tactical base at Liverpool and it's certainly working in terms of scoring goals. I playing with mentality set to attacking for most game (other than really away games against big teams where I have in on control).

If you want more detail, I play with a flat back four, both full backs set to attack. Most often I play a DMC to the left and an MC to the right of a midfield pairing, two wingers who are sometimes asked to play higher up the pitch, one set to attack, the other to support (which way round depends on which side the opposition have a weaker full back on). Then for most games an AMC set slightly left of the striker, though for a lot of the time last season I played two up top because that fit my two most on form forwards, Gadi and Torres. This season I have Dalla Valle and Palladino, both of whom do well sitting just off Torres.

My most regular one looks like this

Reina

Bosingwa   Ricardo  Cahill  Insúa

Mascherano

Priso      Gerrard          Gueye

Dalla Valle   

Torres

Note of interest: Since knocking us out of the League Cup, Swindon have gone on to beat Aston Villa and Man Utd (the latter of whom sacked their manager after the game) and are now in the semi finals despite sitting 15th in League One.

thnx for a detailed reply. i will certainly be trying out these tactics on my h+r save and tweak them if necessary to fit my players.

No problem. I never got to grips with the tactical side of FM09 but I've really enjoyed getting the hang of it on FM10. I've always liked to play attacking football on FM (a string of 1-0 wins to the title bores me) and it seems for the first time since FM07 I'm getting some reward on that.

No problem. I never got to grips with the tactical side of FM09 but I've really enjoyed getting the hang of it on FM10. I've always liked to play attacking football on FM (a string of 1-0 wins to the title bores me) and it seems for the first time since FM07 I'm getting some reward on that.

yer i normally have quite attacking tactics, but i concede quite a few as well. roughly scored about 1.7-2 goals a game and concede around 1.2-1.5 (according to the manager history)

i go for 4-3-3, 4-3-1-2 ( 3 midfielders + nd an attacking mid) or 4-1-1-2-2 (1 dm, 1 cm, 2 attacking wingers) all these formations i have the dl and dr charging up the wings (based on chelsea's tactics with bosingwa and ashley cole)

2014/15

Part 3: January 2015

Transfers

tumbleweed.jpg

Premier League

16. Arsenal (away), won 4-0

Having lost to Stoke in our last game, I wasn't looking forward to this, and the first half was one of us repelling their attacks. We got in at 0-0 though, and the second half was a bit better, Gerrard slamming us into a lead before Palladino came off the bench and netted twice before Priso rounded off a very enjoyable win in injury time.

17. Burnley (home), won 1-0

Slightly more low key, but worth the same points, a single goal from Lauri Dalla Valle two minutes before half time was all it took to win this one.

18. Birmingham (away), won 4-1

Harder than the scoreline suggests, we ran away with this late on when perhaps we didn't deserve to. Palladino had put us two up but Ashley Barnes pulled one back for the home side before half time. The second half saw them relentlessly attack, desperately searching for the second goal and fashioning more than a few chances, but in the final ten minutes we struck twice on the counter, through Palladino and Arshavin to put some gloss on the scoreline.

19. Man Utd (home), drew 2-2

Given that we had to play more than an hour with only ten men after Skrtel was sent off, and that United's late equaliser (in injury time) came when we'd dropped down to nine men, having had to take Rami off despite having used our three subs, a point wasn't a bad result. A Gerrard penalty put us in front whilst we still had 11 on the field but Rooney equalised soon after Skrtel departed. Ricardo put us back in front, but Shrek popped up in injury time, taking advantage of us having to use Tom Huddlestone as a centre back, to draw them level for the second time.

20. Newcastle (home), won 2-1

Into the second half of the season and Newcastle give us another tough game, Alberto Bueno equalising after Ricardo put us in front. No worries though, as their goalkeeper, young Rob Garvey, hands us the win with an own goal.

21. Chelsea (away), lost 3-2

The Tinkerman is back at Stamford Bridge \o/ He beat me :( Having dispensed with Lothar Matthäus, Abramovich turned back to his Tinkerman. We, however, seem simply unable to cope with their strike partnership of Daniel Sturridge and Edinson Cavani whenever we play against them. A goal each put Chelsea 2-0 up inside twenty minutes, though Gerrard pulled one back before the break. Things were looking good when Dalla Valle pulled us level, but Joe Cole came on and broke my heart late in the game

22. Wigan (away), won 2-0

Must get back on the wagon, and we did. It was a tough game, but Dalla Valle came off the bench and scored twice in the last fifteen minutes to ensure our win.

23. Everton (home), won 2-0

I like 2-0 wins, comfortable enough but not showy. We got this one thanks to Dalla Valle's seventeenth minute effort, followed by Torres breaking a goal drought that had last for just shy of eleven hours.

24. Middlesbrough (away), won 2-0

It really is a good scoreline. Torres well and truly back on the bike now, netting the opener before his partner in crime, Stevie Gerrard, pops up with the clincher late on.

25. Wolves (home), drew 3-3

What I wouldn't give for another 2-0 win. The first half was entertaining for the neutral, Torres heading us into the lead before Derdiyok equalised, then Torres volleying us into the lead before Derdiyok equalised. Marcus Berg looked to have sealed all three points for Wolves with eight minutes to go, but Torres bagged his hat-trick to rescue a few of our blushes.

F.A. Cup

3rd Round. Blackburn (home), drew 0-0

A fringe side, a dull draw. Nothing more to say.

3rd Round Replay. Blackburn (away), lost 2-1

Hmm, a fringe side again, we fell behind early on to David Hoilett. Never mind, José Manuel Fernández Martínez (I might sell him just so I don't have to type all that out again), equalised and surely we would go on to win. No. Gary Cahill brought Hoilett down in the penalty area and was sent off, Michael Potts stepped up and slammed the spot kick past Turnbull. Ah well, I never liked the F.A. Cup anyway.

Champions League

Matchday 6. Zulte Waregem (home), won 7-0

With the group already won, we rested a few players, but that seemed not to matter. Huddlestone got us underway in the third minute before Thomas Larsen grabbed his first in competitive action in a Liverpool shirt. Ricardo then netted from the penalty spot before Kevin Thomson battered one in from 25 yards. Skrtel headed in from a corner and Kylian Dumont helped us along with an own goal, and that only got us to half time. Luckily for the Belgians there was only one more to come in the second half, goalkeeper Mihai Buca edging the ball over his own line for own goal #2.

Summary

We're just hanging on in the title race, but Villa are looking good for it for my money. We play them at Anfield soon in an absolute must-win game, and with Genoa (the defending champions) awaiting us in the next round of the Champions League, we have a tough second half to the season. Hopefully Torres' dry streak is well and truly behind him now though and he can go on to fire us to yet more silverware. On the down side, the Champions League income seems to have done little (I can't wait for the TV revenue to arrive come the end of the season) as we're still leaking money all over the place and are probably worse off right now (£16M in the red) than at the same stage last season.

Yep, Villa are looking good. Although you do still have them at Anfield.

Love the transfer graphic :D

Would you mind doing me a favour and telling me Genoas goals for and against in Seria A for the last 2 or 3 seasons??

Pfft, I can do better than the last 2 or 3 seasons :p

2009/10: For 50 Against 37 (9th, 56 pts)

2010/11: For 55 Against 37 (5th, 63 pts)

2011/12: For 71 Against 30 (1st, 88 pts)

2012/13: For 74 Against 35 (2nd, 78 pts)

2013/14: For 88 Against 42 (4th, 72 pts)

2014/15: For 57 Against 23 (1st, 57 pts after 23 games)

Pfft, I can do better than the last 2 or 3 seasons :p

I didn't doubt your thoroughness, I just didn't want to ask for too much :o

In '09 I settled on the fact that defensive teams did better in Europe, but I haven't seen enough seasons in '10 to form a judgement. So when you mentioned Genoa I wanted to see their domestic goals against, which in '09 was a good measure for me. But their record you've posted is nothing spectacular, maybe a goal per game.

Thanks very much :thup:

Loving the transfer pic :)

Looks like you bounced back well against arsenal, however with villa only dropping 13 points so far i dont think you will be able to claim the title this year. The 7 point gap looks far too big now, i still wish u good luck for the last 13 games but i have to say it is looking unlikely. It is understandable though due to liverpool's financial condition, as long as you get a champions lge spot u should be fine.

Loving the transfer pic :)

Looks like you bounced back well against arsenal, however with villa only dropping 13 points so far i dont think you will be able to claim the title this year. The 7 point gap looks far too big now, i still wish u good luck for the last 13 games but i have to say it is looking unlikely. It is understandable though due to liverpool's financial condition, as long as you get a champions lge spot u should be fine.

Would you mind laying off the text speak please :)

Archived