FM2010 - The Better Half - Tactical Sets, NO TC

What formation would you like to see me develop and make a project of next ?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. What formation would you like to see me develop and make a project of next ?

• 4-1-2-2-1 (Flat 4 - DMC - MC, MC - AMR, AML - FC)
    • 4-1-2-2-1 ( Flat 4 - DMC- MR, ML - AMC, AMC - FC)
    • 4-2-3-1 Wide (Flat 4 - MC, MC - AMR, AMC, AML - FC )
    • 4-2-3-1 Narrow (Flat 4 - MC, MC - AMC, AMC, AMC - FC)
    • 4-3-2-1 Wide (Flat 4 - MC, MC, MC - AMR, AML - FC)

Sorry to go off topic but have you tried Jadson for the AMC spot? Not influential as such but a great team player in FM.

Looks good but I want someone that is stronger. He has 4 in bravery, poor in the air, only 4 in tackling and too low composure. I want a DMC playing AMC :D i want De Rossi ( if he only could play in AMC)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think i will continue using the 4411 formation but I do need a born leader in the AMC spot. Someone that has great teamwork and work rate and those are not easy to find, especially when I use the "Allardyce" transfer policy* in this save.

My biggest problem is, just as you pointed out, the squad depth. I simply dont have players to be able to be competitive both in Europe and in the domestic competition, not if injuries hit the team. I dont have many players playing for their country though, so most players will be fit for the coming 2012/13 season.

* 27-33 year old players that needs a new challenge, bringing them in on Bosman

I will be following this thread more closely then and hopefully be able to share expereinces in the Champions League and see if our games differ or are very simliar. I think they'll b simliar though in terms of the impact it has on your league games.

Magaye Gueye is good for AMC position. As is Radja Nainggolan. Failing that enter the loan market, on my save the loan list is full of class players.

Since I feel I've lost a bit of control of my team and version picking, I decided to play a game several times. This game was against Fulham at home, with the visitors coming from 4 straight losses and finding themselves at the bottom of the Premier League. The first game, and the game I will continue the save with, ended 1-1, with me escaping prison after being dominated through out the game. I'm not sure what versions I used since I got really frustrated during the game and probably changed version far to often. Fulham attacked slowly during the whole game, just passing the ball around playing mixed with through balls and crosses. So I saved and loaded again, trying a different approach.

First test was defensive. The team managed to keep the ball and went 2-0 up during the first half, Fulham being restricted to a few shots from long range. In the second half we lost control and Fulham got one back, but the game ended 2-1. Fulham played the similar way as described above. They did not go gung ho in the closing stages, but upped the tempo and played more direct. I changed to counter the last 20 minutes to try utilize space behind the full backs with no effect. They still dropped back into formation and defended well when losing possession.

Then I tried attack home. My players closed down better and appeared more aggressive, but Fulham had fairly good control at the back. I was restricted to long shots and nothing really resulted in anything dangerous. Picked balanced to regain possession and had the ball a bit more without threatening Fulham to much. Fulham continued to play their slow build up the whole game, winning 3-1.

In the last attempt I started with balanced, switching to controlled to see the effect. Still Fulham went about their business the usual way and scored. I managed to grab one back and the game ended 1-1.

So contrary to my scout, the media and my assistant, Fulham came visiting and dominated me over these games, leaving me wondering even more about how fm works :)

Defensive invited them on me, restricted them mostly to long shots. My team did not create to much either, but scored a couple of goals.

Counter did not work as the dropped quickly to defend.

Balanced and control did not work very well as the did not defend deep enough and put my players under pressure from the midway line.

Attack home made my players behave a bit more aggressive, looking like they wanted to win, but they defended well and nothing dangerous came from it. They countered it with long balls (my assistant suggested a high dl in pre-match advice since Fulham apparently struggled against such tactic).

Really enjoying these sets. As I mentioned earlier I'm managing Aston Villa and am alternating between the 4-1-3-2 and the 4-3-3 sets. Reason why is because I feel Downing + Young are really good wingers however when one of them is injured or suspended I've been playing the 4-1-3-2 to overload the middle and try and win with two up front. I do have a lot of midfielders to cover both systems (Sapara, Skjelbred, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Delph, Petrov and Gago). After half a season I'm occupying a third spot but Chelsea and Liverpool are having a storming season with Arsenal underperforming.

Really enjoying these sets. As I mentioned earlier I'm managing Aston Villa and am alternating between the 4-1-3-2 and the 4-3-3 sets. Reason why is because I feel Downing + Young are really good wingers however when one of them is injured or suspended I've been playing the 4-1-3-2 to overload the middle and try and win with two up front. I do have a lot of midfielders to cover both systems (Sapara, Skjelbred, Sidwell, Reo-Coker, Delph, Petrov and Gago). After half a season I'm occupying a third spot but Chelsea and Liverpool are having a storming season with Arsenal underperforming.

That's what I do to. In the 3rd season with Bolton, I started with the 42121 ( 2 DMCs) but when my AMR/Ls got injured, i simply had to revert to a formation using MR/L ( in my case using my D/ML/R). This 4th season, I will play a 442, sometimes using it as a 4411 with either mr/l or AMR/L

im using 442 TM in my man utd game and i have good results with it (won 3/5 or 4/5 titles per season) but my strikers are missing too many chances to score :@ Rooney is great, but Berbatov is scoring from time to time, TheBetterHalf may you give me advice what kind of striker-partner for Rooney should i look for?

im using 442 TM in my man utd game and i have good results with it (won 3/5 or 4/5 titles per season) but my strikers are missing too many chances to score :@ Rooney is great, but Berbatov is scoring from time to time, TheBetterHalf may you give me advice what kind of striker-partner for Rooney should i look for?

Firstly, I would probably switch to the NO TM as he will struggle to find space when playing defensive teams. The way they score goals are different form version to version. In some version the FCleft are at the end opf the moves and in some, The Fcright is so I would nopt worry too much about one position not scoring.

If you would like to convert to a 4231 for top notch teams, Here is one

The FC should be complete

The AMC also

The wingers should be complete wingforwards

The MCright should be creative and with movement

The MCleft should be hardworking and with great passing ability

The Full Backs should be modern fullbacks

The DCs should be, well, top level players

AS you can see, this set really IS for top teams

Could you post the 10.2 download again as the link on the first page doesn't work?

thanks paul

Works for me. Filefront can be slightly unstable these days

third season. incredible!!! I've won two games ajax but I have not won the league by a goal

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7299/tablat.png

Great work !. How did you do in the CL ?

hi tbh i'm playing with wolves and ı sign a lot of good players

I think i can use 4-2-3-1 top notch teams tactics.What do you suggest :) Sorry for bad english :)

Gk-Adler

Dr-Ferronetti

Dc-Rivas

Dc-Otamendi

Dl-Jelle Van Damme

Mc-Veloso

Mc-Anthony Annan

Aml-Witsel(He is very good and ı retrain him as a aml)

Amc-Buonanotte

Amr-Empty :p I would to buy alexis sanches :)

Fc-Aguero or Cardozo

haha, i beat you to it :thup:

I signed him from Inter ( !) on a free transfer this morning and let me tell you, he is a monster as AMCin my new 4231 :D

You know what they say, great Swedish minds think alike :D

Bra kap du gjorde ;) (Good catch you made)

hi tbh i'm playing with wolves and ı sign a lot of good players

I think i can use 4-2-3-1 top notch teams tactics.What do you suggest :) Sorry for bad english :)

If your defenders/defensive players are up for it, then why not. I am currently using it with Bolton without any real stars but my squad is perfectly balanced for it and even though the players may not have the greatest CA/PA ( dont think so anyway), their stats are great for the roles in which they play. The defenders have great positioning and marking skills, they are intelligent players. My wingforwards are flaifull and full of pace and my FCs are strong and filled with confidence

If your defenders/defensive players are up for it, then why not. I am currently using it with Bolton without any real stars but my squad is perfectly balanced for it and even though the players may not have the greatest CA/PA ( dont think so anyway), their stats are great for the roles in which they play. The defenders have great positioning and marking skills, they are intelligent players. My wingforwards are flaifull and full of pace and my FCs are strong and filled with confidence

ı edıted my post i forgot to add my team :) cardozo still good even he is 32 :D

ı edıted my post i forgot to add my team :) cardozo still good even he is 32 :D

That is probably a better team than mine

GK - Hart

DC - Cahill, Burdisso, English regen ( a Knight look alike), Geromel ( really good)

Fullbacks - Steinarsson, M.Taylor, Decent regen,

Defensive MC - Sissoko ( from Tolouse), Muamba

Attacking MC - Skeldbred, Davies

AMC - Baptista

AMR - Fedorov, Obadeyi, regen ( rather poor though)

AML - De Maria ( 2nd star) but he is rather inconsistent, regen ( rather good, very speedy but lacks in stamina)

FC - Milevskyi ( 3rd star), Elmander

Though you were English ?

Off topic I know but half English half Swedish. Lived in Gothenburg for 15 years and did two years in Stockholm. Now back in London.

Anyways back on topic the sets look very good and you've done the SI Community well the last couple of years I must say. Keep up the good work :thup:

First matches 4th season, trying to defend the title ( using the new 4231)

As you can see, I have written about the version picking and how big a threat the opponent is in relation to my status and ability

A team considered "Good" is an equal team to us

Top Team is a slightly better

Medium team is a slightly lesser

Poor team is, well, a poor team

fixtures4.png

First matches 4th season, trying to defend the title ( using the new 4231)

As you can see, I have written about the version picking and how big a threat the opponent is in relation to my status and ability

A team considered "Good" is an equal team to us

Top Team is a slightly better

Medium team is a slightly lesser

Poor team is, well, a poor team

fixtures4.png

i played 12 games > won 10 and lost 2 i think these two versions of 4231 are good for top teams, thanks a lot:) i`ll keep comment after the end of this season again

First season of using only the 442 and 4141 from here, ending 6th with Donegal Celtic in NI Premiership (was a relegation candidate). Pretty good season, considering I kept my Championship squad with only 1 major signing.

Also thanks for that screenshot with version picking.

i played 12 games > won 10 and lost 2 i think these two versions of 4231 are good for top teams, thanks a lot:) i`ll keep comment after the end of this season again

Remember to tweak the focus passing of the versions Counter and Balanced as they are both thru the middle.

If facing Chelsea or another team using the narrow diamond, I would focus the play down the flanks when using Counter and use "mixed" when playing with Balanced.

When speaking of Chelsea or any other team using a AMC-FC-FC formation, notice that the DCs are on tight man mark in the Defensive version. I would use zonal here instead as they will drag them all over the place

Works for me. Filefront can be slightly unstable these days

Great work !. How did you do in the CL ?

In the champions league I had a fairly complicated with chelsea, juventus and aek. I was 3 and went to UEFA and I got a 1 / 8 finals. At the top of Holland, I lost the final when he thought he was going to win.

In the champions league I had a fairly complicated with chelsea, juventus and aek. I was 3 and went to UEFA and I got a 1 / 8 finals. At the top of Holland, I lost the final when he thought he was going to win.

Really hard group. No wonder you did not make it to the knockout stage

You can make up for the Attack Away for version 10.2 is not. As I have versions Away Attack will bring better performance.

For what set do you want that version ?

Edit: Rest assure, when the final patch is here. the attack away version will yet again be included as its a great version. Its just that this patch makes the version picking much harder due to the misleading match stats that are produced when using the incorrect version

Fourth season. I did not start very well. In the third round of qualifying for the Champions League, did not have much luck because I had the Milan and I eliminated by 4-2 in total. I had to go to the uefa and I do not play a group easy with Arsenal, Palermo and Gaziantepspor and I'm close to being eliminated, I might as well just win at Arsenal at the Emirates and expect the Palermo not win at Gaziantepspor, almost impossible.

In league going pretty well, I take 4 points to Ajax and I've only lost 1 game and I tied another.

http://yfrog.com/0xtablasp

Can you upload Attack Away for 4-4-2 No TM, 4-1-3-2 Narow ? Must say the tactics you set reasonable offers effective use if you know the right time and precision. Thanks !!!

Link

Fourth season. I did not start very well. In the third round of qualifying for the Champions League, did not have much luck because I had the Milan and I eliminated by 4-2 in total. I had to go to the uefa and I do not play a group easy with Arsenal, Palermo and Gaziantepspor and I'm close to being eliminated, I might as well just win at Arsenal at the Emirates and expect the Palermo not win at Gaziantepspor, almost impossible.

In league going pretty well, I take 4 points to Ajax and I've only lost 1 game and I tied another.

http://yfrog.com/0xtablasp

Would it be possible to upload the screens into the forum. AS it is now, they are just too small to see anything ( even when maximizing it)

I started 3rd season with man utd (bought ribery on free transfer, akinfeev and let the young players from academy to play along with first team players), but i have problems beating teams like liverpool, inter, aston villa, real madrid or teams with tactic like 4(d)-2(dm)-3(amc)-1(st) thats the only problem i got. I`m trying to find the best coaches and physios for my training to have 4 1/2 or 5 stars and everything is ok with my team. Last season i won fa cup, cl, premier league with goal difference, world club cup, after work i`ll post screens. Mr TheBetterHalf can you give me advice about my weakness against this tactic or teams i`m playing against. Thanks!

I started 3rd season with man utd (bought ribery on free transfer, akinfeev and let the young players from academy to play along with first team players), but i have problems beating teams like liverpool, inter, aston villa, real madrid or teams with tactic like 4(d)-2(dm)-3(amc)-1(st) thats the only problem i got. I`m trying to find the best coaches and physios for my training to have 4 1/2 or 5 stars and everything is ok with my team. Last season i won fa cup, cl, premier league with goal difference, world club cup, after work i`ll post screens. Mr TheBetterHalf can you give me advice about my weakness against this tactic or teams i`m playing against. Thanks!

and where can I get??

The reason is simply beacuse the keep possession in the DMC strata and their AMR/L run riots down the flanks, pulling the dcs and fbs out of position.

I would use either attack away or balanced ( with unticked counter box) and implement some manmarking

The wingers = our Fbs

Their DMCleft ( or only DMC) = our FC

Thie DMCright = Our AMC

The MCs = Our MCs

Most of the times that im starting my matches, i use balanced and it depends on my opposition i switch to attack away or control, but you are right maybe i should look at manmarking... i`ll try it, thanks :)

It can also be a good ideá to convert the 4231 to a 442 and try to keep possession on the flanks ( our AMR/L, now turned into Mr/L, have hold up ball and this way their DMCs are the one being pulled out of position). Here i would use the FCLeft and MCr to manmark their DMCs, our MCleft on their AMC and on of the DCs to mark their lone FC. Apart from that, the wingers on their fbs and our fbs on their wingers. All his of course as a last resort as I try not try adapt too much to the AI formation and let them dictate the game but sometimes that can be the only way out

Again Ajax stands in our way to the title. Really, this is very disappointing.

tabla-1.jpg

You need to improve your training or buy experience/bargain players, im trying to use youth players so i have problems too with my man utd team and every season i won or finish second the season in england.

@Mr TheBetterHalf i used your advices about manmarking, but again man city away, first i lost and against liverpool away i draw but it was very hard to equaliser. My team is Akinfeev/Foster(GK), Evra (DL), Ferdinand/Otamendi(DCl), Vidic/Evans(DCr), Rafael/Brown(DR), Hargreaves/Fletcher(MCl), Carrick/Rodwell(MCr), Ribery/Nani(AML), Anderson/Sobis(AMC), Valencia/Ji-Sung(AMR), Rooney/Berbatov(ST) using 4231 tactic. Should i use playmaker and to untick counter? If im using defensive tactic my players play more cautious and at home i use balanced but im conceding more goals.

You need to improve your training or buy experience/bargain players, im trying to use youth players so i have problems too with my man utd team and every season i won or finish second the season in england.

Signing players almost always young, I think it is better for medium or small teams and especially when you do not have much money. I am in the 2013 and 2015 contracts are just good players and I do not want to renew. Hopefully I can win the league this season because I think I have a better team than the ajax.

. Should i use playmaker and to untick counter? If im using defensive tactic my players play more cautious and at home i use balanced but im conceding more goals.

No playmaker needed. As for the version picking, these advices about "Balanced" where merely when playing top teams using 2 DMCs. Against weaker teams playing the same formation, I would not adaprt to their formation too much but stick to mainly Control at home and attack away when on the road.

You also have to remember that, if playing with few ( or only one) leagues loaded. Many of the normal "top 8" teams will be really, really good. In my save in 2012 there is very little difference in quality between teams like Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U, City, Villa, Spurs, Everton and some of the teams in place 8-14 also have very good players and a good squad depth. It can be that your squad is actually only 3rd or even the 4th best in the Prem when looking at the players alone and even 5th and 6h when looking at the balance of the squad, specific competence for tactic one uses

yes im playing only in england thats it :)

From my experience, this is the main reason why so many middle teams have great squads and if playing with youth players and/or future stars that are yet to be anywhere near fulfilling there potential, I think you will struggle

Archived