Sports Interactive & The Scene

This is basically a rant, so if you're not interested in hearing some moaning then you can leave right now, don't say I didn't warn you.

One thing that you can't say about Sports Interactive is that they're not offering full support for their users. In matter of fact, this company, even though the massive changes it went through since the breakout with Eidos, has never changed its policy of accompanying the costumers through the entire the game, technically and spiritually, a thing that should not be taken lightly these days. Whether if it's their crowded forums filled with staff and members who're willing to hand help concerning any problem or their quick responses to flaws within their games by issuing patches and fixes all the time - there is no shadow of a doubt that the communication between the big cooperation and the angry teenagers-mob is fairly better than any other games out there.

However, surely I didn't write this because it's all pink. There are some downsides in Sports Interactive management that certainly comes to view of every member that has been on the scene for a regular basis.

Let's check out for example their recent actions of giving all their affiliates the right to be FM beta testers. This may look good in first glance, but let us first examine their affiliates list - Here. Right, so with the exception of 4-5 sites you don't know any of these? Are you sure you've been here on a regular basis? Strange. Click on one of them, let's say FM-Rehab. Check its wonderful content.

I got to admit, I come from a subjective point of view just because I'm an administrator of a site. Nevertheless, when you browse around the community some of the largest communities out there are not affiliates even though they put much effort than the old-fashioned sites, examples such as FMG-Live and FM-Britain springs to mind. So how come those sites, including goal-kick, do not get the minimal recognition and help from what's supposed to be the site with the biggest interest of keep them going and happy?

Hardly fair, isn't it?

This is basically a rant, so if you're not interested in hearing some moaning then you can leave right now, don't say I didn't warn you.

One thing that you can't say about Sports Interactive is that they're not offering full support for their users. In matter of fact, this company, even though the massive changes it went through since the breakout with Eidos, has never changed its policy of accompanying the costumers through the entire the game, technically and spiritually, a thing that should not be taken lightly these days. Whether if it's their crowded forums filled with staff and members who're willing to hand help concerning any problem or their quick responses to flaws within their games by issuing patches and fixes all the time - there is no shadow of a doubt that the communication between the big cooperation and the angry teenagers-mob is fairly better than any other games out there.

However, surely I didn't write this because it's all pink. There are some downsides in Sports Interactive management that certainly comes to view of every member that has been on the scene for a regular basis.

Let's check out for example their recent actions of giving all their affiliates the right to be FM beta testers. This may look good in first glance, but let us first examine their affiliates list - Here. Right, so with the exception of 4-5 sites you don't know any of these? Are you sure you've been here on a regular basis? Strange. Click on one of them, let's say FM-Rehab. Check its wonderful content.

I got to admit, I come from a subjective point of view just because I'm an administrator of a site. Nevertheless, when you browse around the community some of the largest communities out there are not affiliates even though they put much effort than the old-fashioned sites, examples such as FMG-Live and FM-Britain springs to mind. So how come those sites, including goal-kick, do not get the minimal recognition and help from what's supposed to be the site with the biggest interest of keep them going and happy?

Hardly fair, isn't it?

olol, FM Rehab was a total joke.

It is quite annoying when reputable sites like Goal-Kick get ignored for things like this, when sites on the list that don't even exist anymore are getting hits from the affiliates scheme! I've heard all the excuses about being too busy to update the list, but how many minutes does it take to remove expired links and the like? Exactly.

Not blowing my own trumpet here, but GK is one of the biggest fansites in the FM community, yet FM ****ing Rehab gets more recognition than an established site such as ours, who only suceeds in getting its e-mail ignored.

I don't want to sound too harsh about this, but is there much point in running the affiliates scheme when it's not representative of the community at all?

I totally agree, dedicated sites that have been around for this long deserve some recognition. Goal-Kick is probably in the top-two best FM Fansites, yet it gets completely ignored when it comes to the affiliates scheme. I know Vilius put a hell of a lot of work into getting Goal-Kick to where it is now, yet his efforts and dedication has gone un-noticed.

I can only echo what others have said, it surely wouldn't take too long to replace a few links on the homepage.

I have been an advocate of having a go at the SI forums and staff for many a year, now it seems finally people around the scene are beginning to agree with me. It started with the FM Online section of which I was a big part. I ran clans since CM01/02 and was known in those circles, however, dispite running these clans, all of which were long term and successful, we kept getting overlooked as "official" clans by SI and their cronies.

I agree with Roy that they have always done very little to help decent sites make a name for themselves and I think that this has tainted a lot of peoples enthusiasm for trying to become more successful on the scene, and the main reason why I very very rarely post around here. If you arent going be recognised in SOME capacity by the games makers, then why bother...we do it because we love the game and want to see it succeed in future versions.

We hold onto the hope that eventually SI will listen more closely to what the fans of the game want to see, yetyearafteryear they release the same game with new features that never work. I remember posting a long time ago about actually releasing a game that worked properly rather than doing a whole new version with new features. Surely get the game right first then introduce new stuff. Common sense no?

SDK

I can only agree as well i'm afraid.

Some of the sites on the list are not even there anymore!!

Manager Crisis has affiliate status, have done for a while, yet you haven't updated them on the list. That's just one site i know of that actually HAVE the status, but is not on the list.

If you are too busy to take five minutes to update a few links, then surely you are too busy to run the whole damn affiliate scheme in the first place. And why bother running it, when you are overlooking some very good sites, and not running it properly?

The affiliate scheme definitely needs a work around, with personal experience, all e-mails that are sent in are ignored, and when they are replied to I have been given 1 liners.

On the subject of site recognition, I say that most of the sites that are classed as "big" FMGlive, Goal-Kick, Throw-In(may already be an affiliate?), are all being ignored by the staff at SI. Just a question, has anyone actually looked at the Community Info page in FM07? Half the links are dead.

icon_wink.gif

Personally I think this whole affiliation scheme is pathetic. It would take what two minutes out of your time to update the list and those who have worked hard deserve to be affiliated. Surely you cannot be that busy. There are a few sites like FMGLive and indeed GK who are getting thousands of hits every day and are two of the best fansites around but yet their work goes un-recognised. Something needs to be done.

I ran a site - First Eleven - for nearly a year, built it into one of the best known on the scene, but got nowhere with my application for affiliation.

Then again, and to give SI a bit of credit, they've always been fairly responsive with requests for things - competition prizes, interviews, etc, even to sites that aren't affiliates. What does stick in my graw a little is that you don't get credited on the game unless you're one, whereas the older versions had a massive list that contained almost every site on the scene.

Nice to see you Mike!

First Eleven was a top site and was the pinnacle of content sites for a long time. Now, if I was part of the SI team, I'd want my game to be affiliated with sites of such quality such as yours, rather than a site like FM Rehab which doesn't even know what a spell checker is.

Didn't that site shut down because of the amount of negative feedback it generated? And yet it is/was affiliated with SI. icon_confused.gif

I spent the first year of my "working scene life" thinking that SIAS was the thing to strive for. God knows why all it seems to be is a jumped up forum that only allows access to webmasters who then only chat amongst themselves and little else.

Whilst SIAS was a grand plan in theory it's been one big flop for the last two years, it got largely ignored then it was realised "oh **** FM2007 is around the corner" so every site that breathed in this direction got "SIAS status" got their name randomly included in the credits of the game and then died. Whilst in the meantime the links page is still the same ol' same ol' dead links. But it's ok folks "The new design is on the way".

So let's wait a month or two start up a site get our name in FM2008 and then close.

Like Pish I will - I'll continue to be involved in working on and with Fan sites but I won't be activly seeking the "Holy Grail" anymore. I work on two sites which are more than worthy of SIAS but as far as I'm concerned it's a "You want some come get some" now.

Actually how about that for an idea - Mr SI why don't you stop SIAS applications and approach the sites that deserve it - Kind of making it a scheme where people earn the right to be included rather than just letting any old Tom, Dick or Harry apply.

Right, I am an SIASII affiliate member and am the admin of CMFrenzy.com - nickname is mikedadude.

Now, let me first say that I understand the aggreviance you guys have regarding the affiliate list, believe me - I'm also annoyed. CMFrenzy have been an affiliate for some time but are not on that list.

FM-Britain by the way is an affiliate of SIGames, you might want to get your facts checked before you start ranting.

Also, I personally feel some of you are just bitter about not getting places on the FML Beta...

There is a reason why the list is outdated however, and all the SIASII members know this and understand it.

Perhaps do more research in the topic before you start causing a storm which you'll regret stirring.

Good day icon_smile.gif

• SI Staff

Thanks for your faith, Royalty. Comments like your one at the end really help me get up in the morning, and make me want to respond to these threads.

So, for everyone else apart from Royalty....

We've got lots of plans in the area of the affiliate scheme as it isn't good enough at the moment, and are going through a bit of a site re-design too, so things on our site aren't updated as they should be currently, and affiliate applications aren't being processed in the way that they should.

These things have taken longer than normal (through no fault of our own, for once), but we think people will be happy with the changes once made and implemented. Please be patient...

@ Miles Jacobson

Well I'm sorry if truth hurts but it's about time for someone to speak it up, without the scene Football Manager wouldn't be what it is and as soon as you realize that the better. Now, saying we have to be more patient is absolutely nonsense, I find it insulting to be perfectly honest, Goal-Kick for example have been on the scene for two years - that's four times your conditions to be an affiliate, how long would Goal-Kick have to wait until it got its deserved recognition? Ten years? Or the fact that you're actually comparing those 10 minutes it takes to update the list to 2 years of hard and consistent work? I think the likes of Goal-Kick fans and plenty more sites around have the right to be angry, and ruining your perfect day by replying to this thread, because we all know that this status-quo can't continue like that.

Many fans consider your game to be good, and I'm amongst them, but I think you should really improve your interactions with the scene network - because without those dedicated 14 years old teenagers that making face packs, writing your guides and moderating your forums your repetitive encouraging team talks don't appeal to anyone, and you know it.

Oh, and for the record, I'm the only who have faith, simply because I was the one to start this topic. You see, many webmasters don't even think the situation can be changed; they accepted it long time ago. I don't know what's more frightening, their apathy or your laziness.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would like to help you out with regards to the affiliate scheme - monitor a dedicated email address, update the list, make sure all benefits are recieved etc.

It's not the biggest operation in the world, at least while the site's going through a re-design you could get someone to at least keep the scheme operational surely?

I'd find this thread a lot more interesting if everyone who was posting in it wasn't a Goal-Kick fanboy.

Sorry guys, but while I agree with some of what you are saying, the affiliate scheme isn't something of realy importance imo, I'd rather SI were sorting out the hundreds of bugs in the game.

Let's be honest, the only one who is moaning the most is Roy, who quite obviously wants his own site to be part of the affiliate scheme. I'm not saying GK don't deserve it, but I doubt you'd be saying all of this is you weren't in the situation you were in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Gruber:

I'd find this thread a lot more interesting if everyone who was posting in it wasn't a Goal-Kick fanboy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not everyone who posted in this topic is from Goal-Kick; get your facts right before you cancel a perfectly legitimate discussion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Gruber:Sorry guys, but while I agree with some of what you are saying, the affiliate scheme isn't something of realy importance imo, I'd rather SI were sorting out the hundreds of bugs in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So. it's either a game without bugs or an important scheme? For the last few years we got none of those.

@ Dave: All right mate? Good to see you here, and yes, I thought I'd lend my little oar to the debate. As for FM Rehab, it fairly justified the negativefeedback, as I recall...

@ Miles: Thanks for commenting in the topic, and nice to hear the Affiliates scheme isn't dead in the water. I think the problem for a lot of these guys is that the affiliates list is hopelessly out of date, and that Goal Kick - no, I'm not a fanboy - along with the FM Portal is one of the biggest movers on the unofficial scene. This isn't something that's happened overnight either.

It gets really galling when the affiliates get to beta test FM Live, and some of them have done very little for a long time. Seems unfair to see someone like FM Base - that's been little more than a forum for years - get this, when GK is ignored.

Just my 0.02.

Guest maevans60

People need to accept that when they run a fan site, they should expect nothing. The magnitude of the Football Manager machine is so great that Sports Interactive need not deal with the external community ever again.

The day people realise that running a fan site is about sharing your love of a game with other fans, and not expecting hand outs from SI, is the fay we might actually get back to a community that is half way worth being a part of.

Alas, the cute slice of americana is completely dashed when one realises that our community consists mainly of selfish teenagers reamed in a take society.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maevans60:

People need to accept that when they run a fan site, they should expect nothing. The magnitude of the Football Manager machine is so great that Sports Interactive need not deal with the external community ever again.

The day people realise that running a fan site is about sharing your love of a game with other fans, and not expecting hand outs from SI, is the fay we might actually get back to a community that is half way worth being a part of.

Alas, the cute slice of americana is completely dashed when one realises that our community consists mainly of selfish teenagers reamed in a take society. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm excuse me, but when a company creates an affiliates scheme such as this and your website meets the criteria then you can expect something from them. If they offer it, why am I not allowed to expect something from them?

We wouldn't even be here discussing this if they didn't offer an affiliates scheme. But the fact is that they do. They do deal with the 'external community' and becuase of that we would like them to at least do a reasonable job, not let the whole thing break down like it has done at the moment.

You can't say 'join up and we'll give you this, this and this, provided you meet x amount of condidtions' and then just ignore your application e-mail which is what's currently happening.

i wasnt going to get involved but i will now. Royalty you are doing no good dragging this to the forums for a flame, it makes Goal-Kick look like moaners. Why would SI want a site that flames in the SIAS.

Also you know nothing about what is going on behind the scenes at SI, and as to 2years of dedicated work, what do you think SI have been doing for that time, because personally i have seen 'alot' of action at SI.

Making a site isnt just making a site for a company such as SI, alot goes into it. Also i am sure that SI have many things above that on the list at the moment.

We all make fan sites to give back to the community SI have created, personally any scheme is a bonus that they dont have to adhere to if they dont want to.

So yes what Miles has said is 100% in order, and 100% making your chances of SIAS less with each flame and moan you submit.

Guest maevans60

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by big_dave404:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maevans60:

Alas, the cute slice of americana is completely dashed when one realises that our community consists mainly of selfish teenagers reamed in a take society. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm excuse me, but when a company creates an affiliates scheme such as this and your website meets the criteria then you can expect something from them. If they offer it, why am I not allowed to expect something from them?

We wouldn't even be here discussing this if they didn't offer an affiliates scheme. But the fact is that they do. They do deal with the 'external community' and becuase of that we would like them to at least do a reasonable job, not let the whole thing break down like it has done at the moment.

You can't say 'join up and we'll give you this, this and this, provided you meet x amount of condidtions' and then just ignore your application e-mail which is what's currently happening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went throught the application process, I got my formal letter and I sat there and thought whether it was worth the hassle or not. It isn't, you get a shiny badge telling everyone how Sports Interactive care about you, you get access to press releases, can become an official mirror for downloads and some other non-descript things. In effect you become a secondary voice for Sports Interactive.

Personally that wasn't my cup of tea and it certainly isn't worth the hassle you make it out to be. In theory it's a nice idea, but it's a nice idea that relies on a thriving, interacting community. That we don't have.

Sports Interactive offer the scheme as a way of showing their gratitude to dedicated sites, they don't owe you anything. Instead of wasting your time, why not take the obvious enthusiasm you have for complaining and transfer it into your site that apparently deserves to be in the affiliate's scheme. I'm sure the group ethos would fit in well with the majority of the smug bastards currently residing there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Royalty:

Not everyone who posted in this topic is from Goal-Kick; get your facts right before you cancel a perfectly legitimate discussion.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that really ironic seeing as you have obviously not done your homework as i pointed out in my previous thread.

This topic is hardly making things easier for you to become an affiliate. You should treat the affilliation with perhaps a little more professionalism rather than with the attitude of a six-year old who doesn't get what he wants right away.

This topic has sidetracked from being a worthy discussion of of the SIAS affiliate scheme and you have degraded it into a potential flame war.

If you want to keep this discussion going on, which I'm sure you do perhaps be a little bit more civil, rather than aggrevating others?

Have a nice day :=)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

Thanks for your faith, Royalty. Comments like your one at the end really help me get up in the morning, and make me want to respond to these threads.

So, for everyone else apart from Royalty....

We've got lots of plans in the area of the affiliate scheme as it isn't good enough at the moment, and are going through a bit of a site re-design too, so things on our site aren't updated as they should be currently, and affiliate applications aren't being processed in the way that they should.

These things have taken longer than normal (through no fault of our own, for once), but we think people will be happy with the changes once made and implemented. Please be patient... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Miles I remember there was a topic on here over a year ago, around April 2006 if I remember correctly, asking what we would like to see on the new mainsite which was being designed and one of things I said was better SIAS or better generally a more dedicated community area of the site.

Now 14 months later, nothing has come of this? I'm sorry but that's pretty poor to be honest, I got so fed of waiting that I went and made my own site, which worked in the way I felt the SIAS should, in giving publicity to different areas of the community on a daily basis.

If I, some spotty 16/17 (at the time) year old kid, can go and make something like the FM Portal ( link incase you're interested) in a few months I can't see why on earth a large company such as yourselves can't get your own site done?

I said at the time (April 2006), in an article over at Chronicles Of A Falling Manager that you should perhaps look to get members of the community involved, people such as Q2ThaZ and myself, and many others, know more about the community than you could ever begin to imagine, you hire members of the community to work on the game, on the graphics and to moderate these boards, why not get some help for the community to? Some people to work as a go between, between yourselves and the community, obviously you're busy people and can't respond to everything, but having a couple of individuals who spend most of their time liaising with the community anyway would make things a darned site easier and then perhaps you'd begin to actually understand what the community is and what it's saying, more than what's actually said on these forums, because, no offence, i've heard alot more intelligent things being said on various sites around the community than what i've heard here and you're missing out on those individuals wisdom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Royalty:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Gruber:

I'd find this thread a lot more interesting if everyone who was posting in it wasn't a Goal-Kick fanboy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hans Gruber:Sorry guys, but while I agree with some of what you are saying, the affiliate scheme isn't something of realy importance imo, I'd rather SI were sorting out the hundreds of bugs in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So. it's either a game without bugs or an important scheme? For the last few years we got none of those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roy, Dave, tmatthew, SDK, Mase, Putzy, Simmo, Q2ThaZ? 6 of those names mentioned are currently or used to be staff at GK. I think it is YOU who needs to get their facts right.

As for the second comment, to be quite honest the affiliate scheme means absolutely nothing to me, and would mean just as much even if I ran a fan site. I can see why some pedantic people would want the wee badge to say they are an affiliate, but to be brutally honest there are far more important things that we, and SI should be concentrating on. Further to what others have said, if I was a member of SI there is not a chance in hell that I'd be in any sort of rush to give GK affiliateship purely because of this thread. You can rant and rave but at the end of the day it will get you know where. You either have to get your head down and do some actual work to show you are worthy of affiliateship or else get down on your knees and suck off one of the SI guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smurfdok:

Err, you wanna check those names Hans?, Mase and Putzy have never been staff at GK, come on lad sort it out icon_wink.gif (gets one in for the little guy icon_razz.gif )

SDK </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Duffy:

I'll do a reply to this shortly but can the goalkick webmaster please contact me (address in profile) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow.... it worked, all you have to do nowadays is go on a flame fest at SI and you get affiliateship amazing.

I have to agree with Royalty here. As Admin and owner of FMGLive i feel we are being overlooked. But we are not that loing open so we cant really say too much about this. GK on the other hand, Has a lot to feel hard done by and if they do get affiliation then well done. It just goes to show that there is hope for other sites out there, Including ours and that SI do listen to the customer.

Well done to SI in answering in this thread also.

I sent a email to Marc Duffy and got a speedy answer. Although, I only got a zipped file back that i could not open, But he did answer all the same.

No one or nothing is perfect. On the patience side, I will sit tight and see what happens first then i may re-apply again for affiliation for FMGLive.

Thanks.

• SI Staff

Enough now Royalty please - you've had your time here to put across your point.

I've answered your emails (you didnt reply to my last one mind)

• 1 month later...

I am going to have to disagree with Roy, if that's your name icon_biggrin.gif

First off, the aim of the likes of Miles, and Mr. Duffy and the rest of the people who work at SI, is to give you a first class game. Along with that, give you the opportunity to make sites such as GK. Thus meaning, they are already doing you a lot of favours and in doing so waste a lot of there time for people to moan. Why is nothing ever good enough, granted the system is somewhat lacking, but maybe give SI some confidence, and think of possible ways to sort this out, give friendly help.

Get on my back and say I am been unfair and the like, but I am just giving my point across. But the amount of emails I get, saying Joe can you help me with this etc is a lot to say I am just a member of the community, and just one site at that. Now I don't know about yourself Roy, but I take it you share the admin job of that site with a few other admins, so you to will get a lot of emails. Having to reply to all of these whilst sorting out your site, trying to fix things, moderating the boards in and amongst other such things can be a daughenting task. So think of the amount of emails Mr. Duffy will receive, and about ******** at that. I for one, would love to ask him a million and one questions about a million and one topics but refrain as his a busy man, as are the rest of the team. I only talk to Jesper, and make a point of not bothering him, when I know he is at work.

I think it is time a few people started to show some respect and be a bit more thoughtful as to what is going on. The team at SI know that the affiliation program is not up to scratch and personally I would rather have a better FM08, than a better sites on the affiliation program.

Archived