The Parkhead Panthers (The Lisbon Lions Challenge)

BobBev

Author’s Note

As I really haven’t managed to get into CM0304 yet I am running CM0102 with Scotland, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal and Spain selected.

The Glasgow Herald

June 18, 2001

Celts Announce New Signing Policy

Celtic today announced a new policy of only signing Scottish players. This surprising move was unveiled in the following statement from Chairman Brian Quinn. "Glasgow Celtic Football Club are pleased to be implementing a new policy whereby all new players brought into the club will have Scottish nationality. The influx of foreign players into Scottish football has restricted opportunities for Scottish players to get first team experience and is a factor in the decline of our national team. I am proud that Glasgow Celtic will be the first club to try to reverse this trend. Our manager Martin O’Neill had been informed of the new policy and has been instructed to implement it immediately."

Mr. O’Neill was not available for comment but the reaction from the official Supporter’s Club was mixed. Thomas McCann, the chairman of the Supporter’s Club said "We welcome Mr. Quinn’s intention of giving more opportunities to Scottish players but we are concerned that a blanket ban on foreign players is not the most effective way of achieving his objective. Whilst our rivals continue without such a policy, we are likely to be severely handicapped in our efforts to build a team that can compete with the best in Europe".

Mr. Quinn did not make it clear if the non-Scots in the current Celtic squad would be sold before the end of their contracts and it remains to be seen how they will react to this news.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Author’s Note

As I really haven’t managed to get into CM0304 yet I am running CM0102 with Scotland, England, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Portugal and Spain selected.

The Glasgow Herald

June 18, 2001

Celts Announce New Signing Policy

Celtic today announced a new policy of only signing Scottish players. This surprising move was unveiled in the following statement from Chairman Brian Quinn. "Glasgow Celtic Football Club are pleased to be implementing a new policy whereby all new players brought into the club will have Scottish nationality. The influx of foreign players into Scottish football has restricted opportunities for Scottish players to get first team experience and is a factor in the decline of our national team. I am proud that Glasgow Celtic will be the first club to try to reverse this trend. Our manager Martin O’Neill had been informed of the new policy and has been instructed to implement it immediately."

Mr. O’Neill was not available for comment but the reaction from the official Supporter’s Club was mixed. Thomas McCann, the chairman of the Supporter’s Club said "We welcome Mr. Quinn’s intention of giving more opportunities to Scottish players but we are concerned that a blanket ban on foreign players is not the most effective way of achieving his objective. Whilst our rivals continue without such a policy, we are likely to be severely handicapped in our efforts to build a team that can compete with the best in Europe".

Mr. Quinn did not make it clear if the non-Scots in the current Celtic squad would be sold before the end of their contracts and it remains to be seen how they will react to this news.

The Glasgow Herald

June 25th, 2001

O’Neill Quits Celts

In shock move late yesterday afternoon, Martin O’Neill resigned from his position of manager of Glasgow Celtic. It has been an open secret at Parkhead that the recent policy introduced by the Celtic Board of only signing Scottish players has been vehemently opposed by Mr. O’Neill. He made a brief statement to the press yesterday after his resignation was announced. "I am very sad to be leaving such a wonderful club as Glasgow Celtic, but with the recent transfer policy imposed by the Board I feel that I can no longer perform my job to the best of my ability. The arbitrary restriction based on nationality undermines my attempts to bring success to the club to such an extent that my position as manager is no longer tenable. I wish the players and the supporters every success in the future."

The Celtic Board have not yet responded to Mr. O’Neill’s resignation, but club captain Paul Lambert had this to say. "I am personally disappointed that Martin has felt the need to leave the club, as he is very highly respected by all of the players. As far as the new transfer policy is concerned, I am looking forward to seeing an increase in the number of Scottish players at Celtic, but I do understand Martin’s concerns about the potential impact on our competitiveness as a team."

The Glasgow Herald

July 7th, 2001

Celtic Appoint Caretaker Boss

Celtic Chairman Brian Quinn today announced that reserve team coach Sandy "Tick" Jones will be acting as caretaker manager until a permanent replacement can be appointed. Mr. Jones has been associated with Celtic for over 15 years, first as a player and then as part of the coaching team. Mr. Jones was reported to be an enthusiastic supporter of the controversial transfer policy recently introduced that led to the departure of Martin O’Neill.

The Glasgow Herald

July 15th, 2001

King Kenny Comes Home

Yesterday Celtic revealed some significant additions to their coaching staff when they announced two new appointments. The news that Parkhead idol Kenny Dalglish is returning to Celtic Park as part of the coaching staff has generated feverish excitement amongst the Celtic faithful. This overshadowed what could be the more significant appointment of veteran coach Don Howe to the backroom staff. New manager Tick Jones said "I am absolutely thrilled that both Kenny and Don have agreed to join the club. Don’s many years of experience will be invaluable as we embark on an exciting new direction at the club. And of course Kenny is an absolute legend here at Parkhead and he is particularly keen to work with some of the excellent youngsters already here and the additional youth players that we hope to attract."

The Glasgow Herald

July 21st, 2001

Celtic For Sale

As a result of the new policy announced by Celtic earlier this month, all of the "foreign" players in both the first team and the reserve squad have been made available for immediate transfer. This has, of course, generated much interest, with clubs queuing up in the hope of grabbing a bargain or two. Manager Tick Jones had this to say. "I appreciate that it is a rather unusual step to take, but the Board agree with me that if their bold new initiative is to be effective, then we must make an immediate start in transforming our squad. But I warn potential buyers that there will be no cut-price deals to be had. We have a number of quality players and their price will reflect that fact." Here at the Herald, we are shocked by this drastic action and would have thought that a more gradual approach would have been appropriate. However, we applaud the bravery of the new boss and await the results of his actions with interest.

The Glasgow Herald

July 27th, 2001

Parkhead Exodus Begins

Yesterday saw the first casualties of the new regime at Glasgow Celtic as Didier Agathe and Bobby Petta were transferred. Agathe has agreed a £5M move to Lens and Petta has moved to Austria Vienna for £5.5M.

Thanks Andy. I'll be following your attempt with interest seeing as we're both using Celtic.

Scotland On Sunday

July 29th, 2001

Winning Start For The Bhoys

A crowd of over 56,000 saw Celtic got off to a winning start in their first league match of the season with a comfortable 4-0 win over Hearts. New manager Tick Jones shocked everyone by playing what was effectively a reserve team. He has filled his first team squad with Scottish players, most of whom are youngsters who would have certainly been expecting to be playing for the reserves at the start of the season. With virtually the entire original first team squad up for sale and relegated to the reserves, the youngsters have been given a chance to show their mettle. They responded very well, but it was veteran Tom Boyd who opened the scoring after 36 minutes. 18-year-old Shaun Maloney added two more in the second half and young Stephen McManus got the 4th from the penalty spot right at the death. Captain Paul Lambert played a vital role in the midfield anchor position but it was an impressive debut by many of the young Scots boys.

Thanks bjorn, and good luck when you do give it a go.

The Glasgow Herald

August 2nd, 2001

Celts In Champions League Draw

Yesterday’s draw for the Champions League Third Qualifying Round saw Celtic paired with Romanian team Dinamo Bucharest. Their opponents had a narrow 2-1 aggregate win over Maccabi Haifa of Israel in the previous round. Celtic face a tough first leg in Bucharest on August 8th and it will be interesting to see if Tick Jones continues with his current policy of fielding a 100% Scottish line up. Rivals Rangers were drawn against Basle from Switzerland with the first leg to be played at Ibrox.

Scotland On Sunday

August 5th, 2001

Injury Crisis at Parkhead

Celtic went into their game against Dundee United at Tannadice without Tom Boyd who suffered a groin strain during midweek training and with triallist Brian McAllister sitting on the bench. They came away with a hard fought 2-1 win but with another three players on the injury list. Jackie McNamara was withdrawn after just 10 minutes with a leg injury. Next to go was young defender Jon Paul McGovern with a knee injury and then in the second half 20-year-old forward Jamie Smith was withdrawn because of a knock to his ankle. Celtic showed great character to come back from a Billy Dodds goal after just 6 minutes. Stephen McManus got them back on even terms with his second consecutive penalty just after the restart. Then exciting young striker Shaun Maloney got the winner with 10 minutes remaining. Manager Tick Jones said “I am very pleased with the way that the boys overcame our enforced changes to fight back and get the win. But I can’t believe that we have lost three players in one game – at this early stage of the season this has already stretched our playing resources to the limit. With our critical Champions League qualifier coming up this is a terrible blow to our hopesâ€. His reaction clearly indicates that he has no plans to bring back any of the non-Scots into the first team squad.

The Glasgow Herald

August 8th, 2001

Larsson Leaves Celtic

Shockwaves reverberated around Celtic Park yesterday when the departure of goal scoring legend Henrik Larsson was announced yesterday. His £12M move to Parma has erased any lingering doubts amongst the Parkhead faithful that the club may be reconsidering their controversial new “Scots Only†policy. This news overshadowed another outgoing move as the £4.5M deal taking Ulrik Laursen to Brondby was small beer in comparison. At the same time it was revealed that Mr. Braveheart himself, long-time Rangers favourite Colin Hendry has agreed a £275K move from Bolton and David Weir would be the first big-money signing, moving from Everton for £3.5M. 35-year-old Hendry has signed a two-year deal at Celtic Park and is said to be “thrilled to be part of this bold experiment to rejuvenate Scottish footballâ€.

Thanks Faramir - good luck with your attempt

The Glasgow Herald

August 9th, 2001

Celts Lose In Bucharest Drama

Last night we witnessed one of the most extraordinary evenings in Celtic’s long history of European encounters. Manager Tick Jones took the unbelievable decision to travel to Bucharest with only 12 players, leaving all of his “foreign†players back in Glasgow. With 4 Scots out injured and his recent signings ineligible, he was left with a skeleton team. This astonishing gamble almost paid off, as his bare bones team held out for 86 minutes before Dinamo scored the only goal of the game. Even more amazing was that this was achieved with only 10 men for most of the game, after 17-year-old Mike Doyle was somewhat harshly red-carded after 31 minutes. Interviewed after the game, Tick Jones had this to say. “I am sure that I will be harshly criticised for my choice to stick with our Scottish players, but I feel that tonight’s result vindicates that decision. I discussed the situation at length with my coaching staff and with the Board of Directors and they fully supported my actions.†Rivals Rangers will take a narrow 2-1 lead to Switzerland for their return match against Basle.

The Glasgow Herald

August 11th, 2001

New Faces At Celtic

There have been several new arrivals at Celtic in the last couple of days as manager Tick Jones continues to bring in more Scottish players. The veteran attacker Kevin Gallagher has joined on a free transfer having been released by Newcastle. The 34-year-old has been brought in on a two-year contract. 26-year-old forward Kevin Thomas has also been signed as a free agent following his release from St. Johnstone. Finally, the much-touted Mark Kerr has moved from Falkirk in a £1.1M deal. The 19-year-old midfielder is generally seen as an exciting young talent and is reported to be delighted to be part of the Celtic set-up.

Scotland On Sunday

August 12th, 2001

Gallagher Makes Dream Debut

New signing Kevin Gallagher got off to a dream start against Partick Thistle at Parkhead when he opened the scoring after just 6 minutes. A penalty from Stephen McManus 6 minutes from time sealed the win but Thistle did manage a late consolation goal in stoppage time. New boys Kevin Thomas and Mark Kerr played well in midfield and veteran Colin Hendry was solid at the back. This was a fine way to bounce back after their European disappointment in midweek and their third straight league win sees them top the table on goal difference over Dundee.

good to see kev is keeping up his grandfathers good name at parkhead icon_smile.gif keep up the good work u have inspired me to try the same with the ol tic icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks addictee - good luck if you do give it a go.

The Glasgow Herald

August 18th, 2001

More Moves At Celtic

The squad changes continue at Celtic with a vengeance with three new players coming in and one departing. Out went young French goalkeeper Michael Herbert who was sold to Laval for £525K. In came 22-year-old defender Eddie Forrest on a free transfer having been released by Airdrie. He is joined by ex-Rangers forward Allan Johnston in a £1.8M deal from Middlesbrough and veteran striker Gordon Durie, also on a free transfer.

Scotland On Sunday

August 19th, 2001

“Jukebox†Durie Still On Song

Gordon “Jukebox†Durie showed in his Celtic debut yesterday that, even at 35 and counting, he still has an eye for goal. It took just 2 minutes for the ex-Rangers marksman to open his account when he fired the Celts ahead against Dunfermline at East End Park. Captain Paul Lambert doubled their advantage 5 minutes later as Celtic caught the Pars napping. Debutant Allan Johnston was unlucky not to get off the mark when his 36th minute strike was ruled out for offside. Celtic controlled the midfield, were solid as a rock at the back and always looked likely to add to their total. Johnston made an impressive debut but it was defender Stephen Crainey that took the Man of the Match award for his fine performance in his defensive midfield position. The 20-year-old has made a very impressive start to the season and has taken full advantage of his unexpected promotion to first team football.

The Glasgow Herald

August 23rd, 2001

Maloney Seals Euro Win

Last night a sell-out crowd at Parkhead saw Shaun Maloney score the winning goal as Celtic overturned a 1-goal deficit to beat Dinamo Bucharest 2-0 on the night and 2-1 on aggregate. Once again manager Tick Jones stuck with his Braveheart Scots, even though he could still not fill the substitutes bench because of injuries and ineligible players. Despite a desperate appeal to UEFA to allow additional players to be registered because of the club’s unique situation, only Mark Kerr was allowed to be added to the squad. This meant that only 4 of a possible 7 substitutes were on the bench and Jones risked playing a less-than-fit Jon Paul McGovern in central defence. Dinamo came to Glasgow intent on holding on to their lead. They defended in depth and made it tough for the home side by keeping as many men behind the ball as they could. Chances were few and far between and the first half looked like ending in a stalemate until Mark Kerr popped up to power home a cross from Stephen Crainey to tie the aggregate score. With less than 15 minutes remaining, Shaun Maloney picked up a Kerr knockdown to put Celtic ahead in the tie overall. Dinamo then mounted a series of attacks in the last 10 minutes and keeper Rab Douglas earned his money with a string of fine saves to ensure that the Celts go into the first group phase. Rangers made sure that two Scottish teams progressed with a good 2-0 win in Switzerland to eliminate Basle 4-1 on aggregate.

The Glasgow Herald

August 24th, 2001

Celts To Face Roma And Ajax

Celtic will face games against two of the toughest teams in Europe in their Champions League Phase 1 group. Drawn in Group C alongside Roma, Ajax and Lokomotiv Moscow, Celtic face some challenging games. Realistically they will probably be challenging Lokomotiv for the UEFA Cup slot that the third placed team in the group will gain.

The Glasgow Herald

August 25th, 2001

McAllister Arrives At Celtic Park

Ex-Wimbledon defender Brian McAllister is the latest Scot to arrive at Parkhead following his successful trial spell. The 30-year-old has signed a three-year deal and is said to be delighted at the prospect of being involved in what is becoming known as the “Braveheart Revolutionâ€.

Scotland On Sunday

August 26th, 2001

Celts Held By Killie

Celtic dropped their first points of the season so far when Kilmarnock held them to a 1-1 draw at Parkhead yesterday. The home side started strongly and Shaun Maloney scored his 5th league goal in 5 games early on and were unfortunate not to be further ahead before half time. However, Kilmarnock came back strongly in the second half and the evergreen Iain Durrant pulled them level after 58 minutes. Maloney always looked threatening and had several chances to put Celtic ahead. With 4 minutes remaining substitute Stephen McManus latched on to a through ball from Maloney and slipped the ball past the keeper only for the linesman’s raised flag to rule his effort out.

Scotland On Sunday

September 2nd, 2001

Scots Pounded In Dublin

Scotland had keeper Neil Sullivan to thank for keeping the score respectable in their friendly in Dublin yesterday. David O’Leary’s side went ahead after just 6 minutes with a goal from Tottenham’s Gary Doherty and spent the remainder of the match giving Sullivan a hard workout. Bertie’s Boys were unable to prise the initiative from a determined Irish team and were fortunate to have suffered such a narrow defeat.

The Glasgow Herald

September 7th, 2001

Petrov Heading To Greece

The latest victim of Celtic’s Scots only policy is Bulgarian midfielder Stilian Petrov. A deal worth £6M has been agreed with Greek team Olympiakos and the 22-year-old will join his new club when the Greek transfer window opens on January 1st next year.

Scotland On Sunday

September 9th, 2001

Gallacher Sinks Hibees

A goal in each half from the veteran Kevin Gallacher was enough for Celtic to see off the challenge of Hibs at Easter Road yesterday. The home side struggled throughout to mount any kind of attacking threat and rarely caused Rab Douglas any concern. With teen sensation Shaun Maloney sidelined for a few weeks with a groin strain, 20-year-old Paul Shields started up front and was unlucky not to claim a goal, having several good attempts well saved by Nick Colgan.

The Glasgow Herald

September 12th, 2001

No Roman Holiday For Celts

Celtic’s visit to Roma last night for the first of their Champions League Phase 1 group matches ended in disappointment. Outplayed for most of the match, Tick Jones’s young team lost 2-0 with goals from Vincenzo Montella and Cafu. A number of the youngsters in the team looked overawed by the experience of playing in the Olimpico in front of nearly 80,000 fanatical supporters. Jones himself sees each game in Europe as a learning experience for his team. “We did not expect to come here and have a realistic chance of winning†he said after the match. “Considering the recent upheaval in the squad I am very pleased that we held one of the best sides in Europe to a fairly narrow victory. This season is all about building a new squad and gaining experience of European competition, and tonight was certainly a learning experience for all of us.â€

Scotland On Sunday

September 16th, 2001

Douglas Blunders Gift Dundee Points

Celtic suffered their first league defeat of the season when high-flying Dundee came away from Parkhead with a 3-2 win courtesy of some elementary mistakes from Rab Douglas. The big keeper looked uncharacteristically nervous and uncertain throughout the match, and his poor performance cost his side dear. Captain Paul Lambert put the home side in front after 33 minutes when he scored with a powerful shot from distance. Douglas apart, the home defence looked solid, with the veteran Tom Boyd back from injury and young Eddie Forrest looking assured in the centre. However, a snaking run from Beto led to Fabian Caballero getting the equaliser on the stroke of half time. Giant defender Lee Wilkie put Dundee ahead in the 56th minute after Douglas had flapped at a corner. Caballero made it 3-1 with 10 minutes remaining when the Celtic keeper seemed to misjudge the Paraguayan’s shot. Paul Shields pulled a goal back at the death, but it was too little too late. Rangers move to the top of the table on goal difference from Dundee, with Celtic two points back in third.

The Glasgow Herald

September 17th, 2001

Thompson Set For Villa

The rumour that the imposing front entrance at Parkhead will be replaced with a set of revolving doors gained further credence with the departure of Alan Thompson and the arrival of Gary McCutcheon. Thompson will be joining Aston Villa for a £3M fee with McCutcheon being picked up as a free agent having been released by Kilmarnock.

The Glasgow Herald

September 20th, 2001

Lokomotiv Wreck For Celts

Lokomotiv Moscow visited Parkhead last night and made a severe dent in Celtic’s European hopes by sneaking a narrow 1-0 win, leaving 60,000 fans bitterly disappointed. The Russians came to defend in numbers and Celtic had plenty of possession and no shortage of scoring opportunities. But in their eagerness to attack they may have been guilty of defensive naivety and Lokomotiv scored midway through the first half with a classic breakaway goal. The home side kept coming forward in search of an elusive goal, but were unable to penetrate a determined defence. It was a brave effort but their failure to convert pressure into goals meant a frustrating end to the evening.

Scotland On Sunday

September 23rd, 2001

Stalemate In Old Firm Match

Yesterday’s Old Firm meeting at Ibrox ended all square, thanks mainly to a heroic performance by Rangers keeper Allan McGregor. The 19-year-old was making his debut in the first team as Stefan Klos is sidelined with an injury sustained in the midweek victory over Milan. The youngster came on for the experienced German in that match and his performance was so impressive that Rangers manager Alex McLeish decided to give him a starting place against Celtic. That proved to be a wise as well as a brave decision as McGregor pulled off a string of wonderful saves to deny Celtic the victory that their fine attacking play deserved.

The Glasgow Herald

September 27th, 2001

Euro Joy For Celts

Celtic got their first Champions League points last night with a good 2-1 win over Ajax at Parkhead. It was a solid team performance from the home side and they were superior in all departments, limiting the visitor’s scoring opportunities and creating a number of chances themselves. 17-year-old midfielder Mark Fotheringham scored his first goal for the club to open the scoring after 25 minutes and young forward Bryan Prunty doubled their advantage just after the restart. Jari Litmanen scored a late consolation for Ajax but Celtic held on for the win. Roma beat Lokomotiv Moscow 2-0 for their third straight victory and look to be certain group winners. But there is still all to play for as the other three teams are neck and neck on 3 points each.

The Glasgow Herald

September 29th, 2001

Ritchie Moves to Parkhead

Celtic unveiled their latest signing yesterday as they announced that defender Paul Ritchie has been signed from Manchester City in a £2M deal. The 26-year-old is a member of the current Scotland squad and recently gained his 3rd cap in a friendly against Ireland.

Scotland On Sunday

September 30th, 2001

Livvy Brushed Aside

Celtic made light work of the visit of struggling Livingston and ran out comfortable 3-0 winners. Although the visitors managed to reach half time without conceding they rarely threatened the Celtic rearguard. Colin Hendry and debutant Paul Ritchie dominated at the back and Paul Lambert, Allan Johnston and Mark Kerr controlled midfield. Celtic stepped up the pace in the second half and goals from Lambert, Paul Shields and Ritchie gave them a comfortable 3 points.

Thanks Faramir. The big advantage of going with Celtic is that they don't have any problem attracting players and they have a bit of money to spend.

The Glasgow Herald

October 1st, 2001

Miller Latest Arrival At Celtic

The newest arrival at Celtic Park is exciting midfielder Charlie Miller, who became Tick Jones’s most expensive player so far. The £4.5M fee paid to Dundee United has raised a few eyebrows as Miller is generally regarded as never having fulfilled his potential. Jones obviously feels that he can bring out the best in the 25-year-old.

The Glasgow Herald

October 4th, 2001

Bairns No Match For Big Boys

Falkirk put up a brave fight against Celtic at Brockville in the League Cup Third Round but in the end they succumbed to the superior side. Paul Shields opened the scoring for the visitors after just two minutes and for the remainder of the half Celtic subjected the Bairns to intense pressure. But to their credit Falkirk scored an unlikely equaliser just before the break and went into the dressing room tied at 1-1. The pattern of the match continued in the second half and ex-Bairn Mark Kerr put Celtic in front five minutes after the restart. Three minutes later Shields showed why he deserved last month’s Young Player award by scoring his second to make the game safe.

Scotland On Sunday

October 6th, 2001

Scots No Chickens In Kiev

Scotland just came out on top in a well-contested match in this friendly against Ukraine courtesy of a 20th minute goal from Scott Dobie. The West Brom man headed home after a strong run from Neil McCann ended with a pinpoint cross into the area. With captain Christian Dailly doing an excellent man-marking job on Andriy Shevchenko, the home side’s attack was severely blunted and Neil Sullivan was rarely tested. Not that the Scots were any more effective in front of goal and both sides spurned a number of presentable opportunities. Despite the attacking shortcomings, Bertie Vogts must have been much happier with this performance than the one in Dublin last month.

The Glasgow Herald

October 10th, 2001

More Departures at Parkhead

Two more players left Celtic this week as the clearout continues. Irish Under-21 international David Healy joined Manchester City in a £1.1M deal and young Spanish forward David Fernandez agreed terms with Racing Santander. The £2M transfer of Fernandez will not be finalised until mid-December when the Spanish transfer window re-opens.

Scotland On Sunday

October 14th, 2001

Celts Too Strong For ‘Well

A powerful performance by Celtic on their visit to Fir Park saw them inflict a comprehensive 3-0 defeat on their hosts. Debutant Charlie Miller showed some nice touches in midfield, but Gary McCutcheon particularly impressed, scoring once in each half in a good performance. Their third was scored by young Mike Doyle, his first for the club. Motherwell had their chances, but Rab Douglas looked solid and denied Patrick Pascal on several occasions.

The Glasgow Herald

October 17th, 2001

McNamara Sees Red In Amsterdam

Celtic wingback Jackie McNamara paid a heavy price for a moment of frustration at the Ajax ArenA last night when he was harshly red-carded after kicking the ball away in frustration. His dismissal cost his team dear as they conceded two late goals to lose 2-1. Prior to that incident Celtic were controlling the game and rarely looked troubled. Gordon Durie gave them the lead in the 56th minute and they looked comfortable. But two goals in the last 20 minutes from the home side meant a major blow to Celtic’s hopes of qualification. Tick Jones spoke briefly at Amsterdam airport, saying “I felt that Jackie was very harshly treated and I can’t understand why the referee saw fit to show a red card. The match was played in a good spirit and there wasn’t even a yellow card all evening. Having said that, Jackie is experienced enough to know not to show dissent in that manner and he didn’t set a very good example to our younger players. It is very frustrating, because before he went off we were comfortable against one of the best teams in Europe.â€

Scotland On Sunday

October 21st, 2001

Jags Lack Cutting Edge

Struggling Partick Thistle were no match for visiting Celtic and never discomfited their opponents all afternoon. Second half goals from Kevin Thomas and Ryan McCann were enough for a 2-0 win and only some profligate finishing from the Celts prevented a much more embarrassing defeat. It was a very good all-round performance, solid at the back and creative in midfield. Captain Paul Lambert was once again the most impressive player on the park, oozing class and unerringly finding his teammates with every pass.

The Glasgow Herald

October 25th, 2001

Romans Slain In Glasgow

A packed house at Parkhead saw their heroes record a historic result against Roma last night. The Italians came to Glasgow already sure of qualification with a 100% record in the group. But a magnificent performance by Tick Jones’s Bravehearts ended with an excellent 2-0 win and a slim hope of going further in the competition. Young Shaun Maloney was back in the side after injury and rounded off a fine display by scoring Celtic’s second of the night after Stephen McManus had opened the scoring in the first half. With Jackie McNamara suspended, Tom Boyd took his place on the right of the defence and Jon Paul McGovern came into the centre. However, it was McGovern’s fellow centre back, Colin Hendry, who provided the platform for Celtic’s win. Hendry rolled back the years and gave a commanding defensive display, overshadowing the much-hyped Walter Samuel at the other end. Roma managed just one shot on target all evening, such was the dominance of the Celtic defence. With Ajax beating Lokomotiv Moscow 3-1 in Amsterdam, they have pole position in second place and Celtic will need a win in Moscow in a couple of weeks to have any chance of overtaking them.

Scotland On Sunday

October 28th, 2001

Celtic Too Smart For Dons

A virtuoso performance from Allan Johnston was the catalyst for a comprehensive 4-0 defeat of Aberdeen at Parkhead yesterday. The midfielder carved through the Dons defence at will and scored once in each half. Sandwiched between those two was an own goal from Russell Anderson after a Charlie Miller free kick had deflected off the unlucky defender. A goal 20 minutes from time by the ever-improving Kevin Thomas capped off an excellent afternoon for Celtic. With other results going their way, this win takes them back to the top of the table on goal difference over Dundee.

Scotland On Sunday

November 4th, 2001

Celts Break Hearts

Despite the absence of captain Paul Lambert who is out for a couple of weeks with a calf strain picked up in training, Celtic were just too strong for a hard-working Hearts side. Young Paul Shields notched his 5th of the season to put Celtic ahead after 20 minutes but Scott Severin struck back a few minutes later to tie the scores. It was a very even contest with little to choose between the two teams but Kevin Gallacher broke the deadlock with just under 15 minutes remaining. With the home side tiring Allan Johnston tied it up for the visitors near the end. This win keeps Celtic at the top of the table on goal difference over Dundee but with a game in hand.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BobBev:

_Scotland On Sunday

October 28th, 2001

_Celtic Too Smart For Dons__

A virtuoso performance from _Allan Johnston_ was the catalyst for a comprehensive 4-0 defeat of _Aberdeen_ at Parkhead yesterday. The midfielder carved through the Dons defence at will and scored once in each half. Sandwiched between those two was an own goal from _Russell Anderson_ after a _Charlie Miller_ free kick had deflected off the unlucky defender. A goal 20 minutes from time by the ever-improving _Kevin Thomas_ capped off an excellent afternoon for _Celtic_. With other results going their way, this win takes them back to the top of the table on goal difference over _Dundee_.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully I will be able to do the same with the Dons in beating Celtic.

Keep tuned for it on my challenge attempt

The Glasgow Herald

November 7th, 2001

Celts Go Out With A Bang

Last night Glasgow Celtic put in as brave a performance as they ever have in their long history of European competition when their inexperienced team pulled off a magnificent 4-0 victory in Moscow. But joy turned to heartbreak when the news came through from Rome that a last minute goal by Ajax hero Jari Litmanen had secured the point that the Dutch needed to qualify and the young Celts were sadly eliminated. Lokomtiv’s own hopes of qualification were already gone but it was still a daunting task for Tick Jones and his side, especially with captain Paul Lambert missing. With seven players aged 20 or below and the veteran centre back pairing of Tom Boyd and Colin Hendry, most observers had already written off Celtic’s chances before kick off. However, midfield inspiration Mark Kerr got the Scots off to a fantastic start with a goal after just 3 minutes. They had the better of the play for the remainder of the first half and were unfortunate not to add to their solitary goal. But within 15 minutes of the restart the Celts were 3-0 ahead. First Mark Fotheringham scored with a powerful shot and then Dmitry Sennikov put through his own net under pressure from Paul Shields. Stephen McManus rounded off a great night by calmly slotting home a penalty after the unfortunate Sennikov lunged in on Bryan Prunty. At this point in the game Roma were leading Ajax 2-0 and it looked like a fairy tale evening was unfolding. But tragedy struck when Ajax were allowed back into their match when Christian Panucci deflected a shot past his own keeper. Ajax completed their comeback in the dying seconds of the game with a brilliant solo effort from their Finnish star Litmanen to break Scottish hearts. But Tick Jones and his team can hold their heads high after a brave campaign and will take their place in the UEFA Cup with a degree of optimism.

The Glasgow Herald

November 9th, 2001

Celtic Go Dutch In UEFA Cup

In yesterday’s draw for the UEFA Cup 3rd Round, Celtic were paired with Dutch side Feyenoord, with the first leg to be played later this month in Rotterdam. This offers Tick Jones and his team an opportunity to gain a measure of revenge for their cruel elimination from the Champions League at the hands of Ajax.

Scotland On Sunday

November 11th, 2001

Celtic Well Below Pars

After their midweek heroics in Moscow, Celtic came down to earth with a thump as Dunfermline left Parkhead with a narrow 1-0 victory under their belts. For the second game in succession the Celts suffered at the hands of the Dutch. In this case the hands belonged to Dunfermline keeper Marco Ruitenbeek. The experienced Dutchman repelled the best of Celtic’s attacking efforts with a string of fine saves and took the plaudits with the Man of the Match award. The Pars defended well throughout but in truth the Celts never really got into their attacking stride. The match winner came against the run of play in the 72nd minute as Stevie Crawford skinned Colin Hendry in the area and shot past Rab Douglas for his first goal of the season. Seconds later Celtic suffered another blow when Jackie McNamara hobbled off. His steadying presence in defence will be missed over the next few weeks.

The Glasgow Herald

November 15th, 2001

Bosnia Defeated

Last night at Hampden Park Scotland recorded a solid 2-0 victory in their friendly against Bosnia. First half goals from Allan Johnston and Scott Dobie were enough for the win, the second friendly victory in as many months. One of the main features of the match was the excellent contribution of the two wingbacks Paul Telfer and Gary Naysmith. With Bertie Vogts now operating a slightly modified 5-3-2, the wide defenders form an important element in both defence and midfield. The favoured lineup uses 3 centre backs and only two central midfielders, with an additional attacking midfielder behind the front two. The wingbacks give the only real width to the team and as such are a critical link between defence and attack. Telfer and Naysmith seem to have established themselves as first choice and are performing the role very effectively.

The Glasgow Herald

November 16th, 2001

Hedman Heads Off

The transfer of Celtic keeper Magnus Hedman to Blackburn Rovers was announced yesterday. Graeme Souness is believed to have agreed a fee of around £2.7M for the Swedish international.

Scotland On Sunday

November 18th, 2001

Celtic Back On Top

In last night’s televised encounter at Dens Park between Dundee and Celtic, the Glasgow side came out on top. Their 2-0 victory takes them back to the top of the table and drops Jim Duffy’s side to third on goal difference behind Rangers. Dundee’s potent front pair of Fabian Caballero and captain Steven Milne were well marshalled by the Celtic defence, although the dangerous Paraguayan was still able to test Rab Douglas on several occasions. The impressive teenage midfielder Mark Kerr was on target for Celtic in the 25th minute to open the scoring. Celtic just edged the overall possession and had the greater number of chances, but had to wait until 12 minutes from time before Kevin Gallacher made the game safe.

The Glasgow Herald

November 23rd, 2001

Dutch Courage In Rotterdam

Celtic fought bravely against a strong Feyenoord team in their UEFA Cup 3rd Round First Leg tie in Rotterdam last night. Although they lost 2-1 on the night, the precious away goal may give them a fighting chance back at Celtic Park. Captain Paul Lambert was back in the starting lineup having recovered from his recent calf injury and the youngsters must have appreciated his authoritative figure in midfield. Feyenoord started enthusiastically but the Celtic rearguard kept them at bay initially. However, the home fans must have been encouraged by the fact that their team scored with their first attempt on target when Bonaventure Kalou neatly finished off a flowing passing move in the 18th minute. There was a further blow for the visitors when young Shaun Maloney hobbled off after 24 minutes. Fortunately, Celtic were able to see out the half without further damage. Ten minutes after the restart Mark Fotheringham grabbed an equaliser after the Feyenoord keeper had spilled a shot on the turn from Paul Shields. Parity lasted less than 10 minutes before Anthony Lurling lost his marker to turn home a low cross from Feyenoord captain Paul Bosvelt. Celtic came close to a second equaliser when Mark Kerr picked out Shields in the area but his header was well saved.

The Glasgow Herald

November 26th, 2001

Old Firm Triumph For Celts

Celtic recorded an emphatic 3-0 victory in last night’s televised encounter with Rangers. Parkhead was buzzing as a sellout crowd of over 60,000 were treated to powerful Celtic performance. Once again young Mark Kerr ran the show in midfield, overshadowing Rangers captain Barry Ferguson. The Gers started out with a very cagey approach but this only served to hand the early initiative to the home side. Celtic capitalised by scoring twice in the first 25 minutes. Kevin Gallacher got the show on the road when he headed home a diagonal cross from Kerr. Rangers young keeper Alan McGregor must take some blame as he allowed the diminutive forward to get to the ball first. Allan Johnston added a second minutes later, neatly sidestepping Neil McCann to shoot home. Once again there was a question mark over the keeper’s positioning as it wasn’t the best struck of shots. Rangers boss Alex McLeish clearly shared our misgivings as the youngster was replaced by Stefan Klos a few minutes later. Rangers tried to up the tempo and get back into the match but with Celtic captain Paul Lambert patrolling in front of the defence the visitors never made any impression. The game was killed off with 20 minutes remaining when Charlie Miller was bundled over in the area by McCann. Young defender Eddie Forrest calmly sent Klos the wrong way and that was that.

The Glasgow Herald

November 29th, 2001

League Cup Goes To Form

Last night’s League Cup Quarter Final matches all ended pretty much as expected. Celtic beat Aberdeen at Pittodrie by a single goal scored by Gary McCutcheon in the 51st minute. The match was not as close as the scoreline suggests and the Dons captain, veteran Danish keeper Peter Kjær, made some stunning saves during the course of the evening. Rangers saw off First Division St. Johnstone 1-0 at Ibrox thanks to a Steven Thompson strike in the first minute. Once again an experienced keeper was a significant figure as Alan Main repelled a number of scoring efforts. Kilmarnock also beat Divison One opposition 1-0 with an early goal as visitors Arbroath lost out to a Peter Canero goal after 4 minutes. But the closest match of all was the visit of Third Divison Albion Rovers to Dundee United. The Tangerines were pushed all the way and finally triumphed 3-2 with Craig Easton getting the winner in stoppage time. This was really tough on the part-timers as they put up a terrific fight. Albion took the lead through the excellent Chris Silvestro after 19 minutes. This only lasted 10 minutes as United scored twice in a minute through Billy Dodds and Stephen Carson. But Rovers got back on terms after an hour when Silvestro scored his second. They then withstood a frantic assault from United and just when it looked like they would hold out their luck deserted them. In the Semi Finals United will now face Celtic and Kilmarnock play Rangers.

Scotland On Sunday

December 2nd, 2001

Dull Fare At Parkhead

Before yesterday’s encounter between Hibs and Celtic at Parkhead, Hibs boss Bobby Williamson promised that his improving team would “give Celtic a helluva battleâ€. Well he was half right at any rate. A famous writer once described war as “long periods of boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror†but yesterday all we got was the boredom. Hibs were totally bereft of any attacking ideas and successfully managed to drag Celtic down to their level and Nick Colgan dealt competently with the few Celtic goal attempts. So devoid of incident was the match that the 55,000 fans at Celtic Park could have had a nice quiet afternoon nap. In short, this was as dull a 0-0 draw as the scoreline suggests.

Archived