A-League Expansion

ruttiger_ruttiger

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You make an excellent point about the anti-competitive behaviour. IMO a lot of this illegal anti-competitive behaviour should be legalised and the ACCC should lose power as I dont really like how much they can interfere in the economy but thats beside the point. If the government is going to run Suncorp like a business it should face the same anti-competition laws as the private sector.

back to the point RE a-league expansions...have a fair few players from the Darwin league and teams...added West Sydney Berries and their playing roster. The rest is trickier. Once again may have bitten off more than i can chew...will see if it will create player (not really regens but regens in theory) to populate the sqauds for the northern NSW league and GC Premier league. Will take some testing.

I should start some other forum for politics and football in Australia...I will call it "Is a Kangaroo Court better than Soccer Australia" or maybe "David Hill and Paul Keating - why the past will never die"...the old timers will understand.

I completely agree with you DS...either everyone gets to have 1 or 2 extra or no one does. I think that the best thing the league could would be create a second marquee spot though rather than allow more foreigners overall. The majorirty of teams would have a forgeigner as the second marquee, but maybe not. Melbourne has Archie, Queensland has Moore and looks like Sydney will have Aloisi.

National youth league plans announced...no AIS team in it. Instead AIS players will play for the A-League team's youth teams. 4 overage players allowed which is too much IMO, 2 would have been better.

Nah, i reckon four is pretty good...you gotta have some hard nuts out there to really put the young kids under the pump. Makes for better footballers at the end of the day.

Thunder situation just keeps getting worse though from what i am reading. I reckon that there may be a late investor that's keen to get on board and join the booming product that is A-League football. Perhaps just wishful thinking though on my behalf.

I dont think I have herd of it neither lol. Turns out its in the south east of Melbourne whereas I am from the north west, so its the other side of the city.

Apparently its got a population of 234,000 so it can sustain a team.

Turns out it will be playing its games in the CBD. So I guess it isnt really based in Casey and it will be just another Melbourne club. Would have been interesting if they built a 20,000 seat stadium and played their matches in Casey.

Damn, Galaxy and Thunder both have to wait another year. More over cautiousness from the FFA. Everything to do with the A-League has been over cautious. If the FFA had some balls, the A-League would have really taken off by now and we would be able to compete in the ACL but we cant due to crap rules like the salary cap.

just read it on world game... i really thought the galaxy had a chance as there where plenty of positive noises coming from there camp.... Thunder of the other is not a surprise after a major financial backer pulled out last week. I honestly believed that with the type of player the galaxy where going after that it would of been positive for the A-League sort term aswell as long term. Oh well i suppose they will try again next year along with many other bids from the rest of Australia.

Yeh, I have mixed feelings about it...By having an 18 month lead in to their first game they will be better prepared. But it is a long wait and hope it doesn't curb the enthusiasm of the local fans in the short term. One of the reasons for the success of the A-League i thought was that there was nearly two years between the end of the NSL and the commencement of the A-League this removed panic buying of players and allowed clubs to develop their own models. Probably not as relevent to GC and NT as at the beginning of the comp though. But may ensure long term stability though, especially as the Galaxy were yet to secure Skilled Stadium yet and may have made a panic agreement without bargaining hard enough.

BTW have Thunder officially become North Queensland Thunder because they seem to keep being referred to as that in some press reports and not in others.

Oh yeh, and i ****ed myself laughing when i read that Casey want to play in the Melbourne CBD...it makes no sense, might as well just have a second Melbourne team in name as well then.

Yeah I was interested in seeing the team actually based in that part of the city and rely in those 230,000+ people instead of just being another Melbourne team. Either way I still would like the 2nd Melbourne team otherwise the new stadium will not be big enough just for Melboune Victory since its only going to be a 30,000 seater.

Originally posted by ruttiger_ruttiger:

Report on 442 that the City of Casey is considering a bid for a team. Since you are from Melbourne, is this realistic? I've never heard of Casey so to me it seems a little far-fetched. Would it be viable you reckon???

Yeah i live in the CIty of Casey. If u look in the editor theres a town called Cranbourne, which is in the City of casey (my home twon icon_biggrin.gif), we have a stadium known as Casey feilds which hold AFL pre-sesaon games but couldnt really accommodate an A-league team.

Casey is actually a council or shire, personally i couldn't see us shaving a team located hear as we don't really have the infrastructure( eg stadium, public transport) to have any sort of national sport team.

my new database has failed to load either in game or in editor...i must have ****ed something up royally. So I am going back to the Korea swap which i still have. It hasn't been changed in since a few days after Kosmina took the SFC job. Dunno if i will make any major changes to it, but i can put it back up for download if people like...it seems to have been the best one i have done, especially with all the graphics already sorted for it.

Originally posted by torres_maniac:

Hello,

I am recently new too fm and brought 08 i was wondering if there have been any successful league swaps for 08 including lower leagues?

I've done a few expansions of the Australian league by swapping it with various other leagues such as the South African League and I even managed to get Australia playing in Europe and the club sides playing in the Champions League and UEFA cup.

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by torres_maniac:

Hello,

I am recently new too fm and brought 08 i was wondering if there have been any successful league swaps for 08 including lower leagues?

I've done a few expansions of the Australian league by swapping it with various other leagues such as the South African League and I even managed to get Australia playing in Europe and the club sides playing in the Champions League and UEFA cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if thats for 08 i would be interested.. would you mind hosting that file somewhere so i could give it a go... thanks

it is for 08 but not for the 8.02 database and also the teams aren't perfect but you can edit any minor details in the editor if you want. also in terms of champions league the Aussie teams still qualify for the Asian Champions League for the first season. I'll try and get it up soon.

Originally posted by worm:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Heres the database anyway

http://files.filefront.com/Australian+League+Swaprar/;9833991;/fileinfo.html

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DBCJNNNA

thanks doosra.. i will give it ago </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

right ive finally tried it out, and so far everything is going swimmingly, at first i got the computer to select a random team for me too be and i ended up with the galaxy with Kanu. So far i have found it hard to sign fellow australians from teams in the same divison with most unwilling to join because there new at that club altough some of the foreigners you can sign are very good, eg: Tasmania sign Bellcushi (sp?) for £7.5 million. Altough next time i start a game i will use the aussie dollar as the currency.

Will have a real go and fling at it on sunday but so far so good.

Just a quick query; If i was too change the reputation of the teams to a similar rep as the actual aleague in other databases would this mess up the league/aussie national team

Once again thanks... i will keep you posted

Originally posted by soupaman:

There was something in the Herald Sun (melbourne newspaper) today about the A-League wanting to get a side into West Sydney in 2010 before the AFL get theirs going.

Wow...we don't get newspapers in Brisbane on Good Friday...about the only time in my life I am jealous of Melbourne as I am a newspaper freak. At least these days one can just go online and get the news though.

Just a quick query; If i was too change the reputation of the teams to a similar rep as the actual aleague in other databases would this mess up the league/aussie national team

Once again thanks... i will keep you posted

A change in rep should only affect the clubs ability to buy players but it may affect league results but not much else. I threw in Kanu at Gold Coast due to the much over hyped rumors that were probably no chance of ever happening.

I'm considering doing another swap but this time with a league without foreigner restrictions and one that will have all world-wide transfers updated.

Also how are the continental tournaments going, are the Australian teams in the European Champions League as I planned?

not sure about the champions league teams, does that start the 2nd season or the first as im 2/3 of way through the first. Australia does have a coefficient of 3 CL teams if i remember.

One interesting thing i have found is if you click richest clubs in the world not just in Australia then AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) are valued at £1.62 Billion

Originally posted by worm:

not sure about the champions league teams, does that start the 2nd season or the first as im 2/3 of way through the first. Australia does have a coefficient of 3 CL teams if i remember.

One interesting thing i have found is if you click richest clubs in the world not just in Australia then AIS (Australian Institute of Sport) are valued at £1.62 Billion

I gave the AIS a huge stadium, decent rep and a few other things all in the name of developing good youngsters.

As for Champions League teams I think they start in the second season but I'm not entirely sure if it's perfect because a few of the other swaps I've done putting Australia into Europe it ends up with some teams in the European champions league and some in the Asian champions league but hopefully the version I uploaded only does Europe after season 1.

right finally finished a season and the champions league places do work (although im not in Europe) and Australia have been drawn in a World Cup Qualifying in Europe. Im yet to have any problems so everthings going well.

One issue i have noticed is the weather, i played an early feb game in Brisbane and the temperature was -5.

But apart from that everything seems fine, i will keep you informed of any issues

Off the wire...Harry Kewell looking to back a West Sydney expansion team

Harry to join A-League

Also, the Queensland State League kicked off yesterday...some uneven results, but the northern teams were away down here in Brissy, so we'll see how the Brisbane teams travel in the coming weeks. I am still working on a 07 update, it has just been pushed back a bit due to other commitments.

One issue i have noticed is the weather, i played an early feb game in Brisbane and the temperature was -5.

Could be monsoon season icon_biggrin.gif

The A-league next season should be good as long as none of the good young talent leaves. As for playing coming in, there's Jon McKain who signed for Wellington and Central Coast who signed Dylan Macallister and both usually end up doing well in the A-League on FM so that should be good along with lots of other transfers (although a lot within clubs).

Also the youth league should be decent if it manages to get some TV coverage.

Well Perth can really only get better as long as they have their team fit as they looked decent towards the back end of last season and Wellington have done well in the transfer market strengthening their defense with McKain and Durante and then on top of that they've got Troy Hearfield from Newcastle. They did release most if not all of their Brazilians so expect a few more to come in prior to next season.

Originally posted by BP_Doosra:

Also the youth league should be decent if it manages to get some TV coverage.

I think that TV will be asking too much of the braodcasters...but if these games are the curtain raisers to the main A-League games, then that will be great for the crowds...that means i get to cheer on the ROAR twice in an evening. Also the feeling of having seen a youngster play for the youth team and then make it into the seniors a few years later will be rewarding for the committed fans. Imagine being able to say on his debut full fixture that you saw player X put in 4 goals in a youth game two years earlier. Gives the code and clubs a bit more cred in my opinion which can only be a good thing. Too many people who support the A-League don't know a thing about their local comps which i think is a shame.

Archived