To Faroe or Fail Miserably

ptfc_kev

Fancying a bit of a managerial challenge, I had a quick look at all the national teams which occupied the bottom pot for the World Cup Qualifying draw (European Zone). A number of interesting names popped up - San Marino, Liechtenstein, and possibly Andorra. But none seemed to hold much appeal, until I saw the Faroe Islands. A fascinating group of Islands to the north of Scotland, and a thorn in the side of the Scottish National team in years gone past. Coupled with the fact they were in the same group as France, Ireland and Switzerland, this looked as tasty a challenge as any. So I phoned up the Faroese Football Association, told them I was interested, and asked them to displace the current manager of the national team. No, I didnt want to start off with the u21s and u19s. Yes, I could begin immediately.

And sure enough, the job was mine. Off I went to Aberdeen airport for the direct flight to Vagar and, once there, then the short trip to Torshavn to settle down to life in the middle of nowhere as the man in charge of one of the whipping boys of the UEFA zone.

This was certainly going to be a test....

Fancying a bit of a managerial challenge, I had a quick look at all the national teams which occupied the bottom pot for the World Cup Qualifying draw (European Zone). A number of interesting names popped up - San Marino, Liechtenstein, and possibly Andorra. But none seemed to hold much appeal, until I saw the Faroe Islands. A fascinating group of Islands to the north of Scotland, and a thorn in the side of the Scottish National team in years gone past. Coupled with the fact they were in the same group as France, Ireland and Switzerland, this looked as tasty a challenge as any. So I phoned up the Faroese Football Association, told them I was interested, and asked them to displace the current manager of the national team. No, I didnt want to start off with the u21s and u19s. Yes, I could begin immediately.

And sure enough, the job was mine. Off I went to Aberdeen airport for the direct flight to Vagar and, once there, then the short trip to Torshavn to settle down to life in the middle of nowhere as the man in charge of one of the whipping boys of the UEFA zone.

This was certainly going to be a test....

The next day I wake up wondering what exactly I have done. I dont know the lanaguage, I certainly dont know the players, and I dont seem to have any coaching staff. Needing some degree of help in my new role, my first priority is to bring in some good coaches to look after the 19s and 21s. Deciding that perhaps youth is the way forward for the team, I needed coaches who could bring my younger players forward and develop into international superstars (ok, perhaps I was hoping for a bit much!!).

Incredibly, there was only one Faroese Coach available in the game, so regardless of stats, I snapped him up as a coach to maintain some traditionalism about the side. So, Kari Nielsen entered the International scene.

Next up was my new assistant manager, and for that, a bit of Brazilian flair was brought in (really because it was becoming tough to convince coaches to join the small revolution I was leading). So, in came a chap called Francisco to be my right hand man.

For the 19s and 21s, I was looking for staff who were superb are working with youngsters. Filling the 19s role is an entirely unknown Alan Bevan from England, and at 21s level, I brought in another English speaker, and equally obscure coach, Steve Round.

So, the Faroe Islands team was starting to get a more international feel around its backroom staff with a Scotsman, a Brazilian, a Faroese native and 2 coaches from England. Hopefully this would strike a nice balance, and a platform to build on.

The next issue was to piece together a squad capable of mixing it with the best, especially in light of the Swiss/French double-header that was looming in September.

After a brief perusal of the squad that I was left with, I started my scouting of the island, attempting to unearth what I hoped would be a few gems. Although by no means nepotism, a swift recall was given to ex-Partick Thistle goalkeeper Jakup Mikkelsen.

A number of other players I had never heard of, and it seems the Faroese media had never heard of either, also forced their way into my thinking, and I managed to piece together my first 26 man squad for the September fixtures. A couple of players pulled out injured before the squad was named (who I would have liked to have used - hopefully this wont be a recurring theme), but I still had reserves to call upon.

And so, although the media subsequently felt it was a young team, I released the names of my squad.

Goalkeepers:

Jakup Mikkelsen

Gunna Nielsen

Jens Martin Knudsen

Defenders

Jan Andreassen

Jens Kristian Hansen

Johan Byrial Hansen

Hans Frooi Hansen

Poul Ennigaro

Johannis Joensen

Jon Roi Jacobsen

Oli Johannesen

Kurt Morkore (also a striker)

Midfielders

Barour Mortansson

Ossur Hansen

Allan Morkore

Frooi Benjaminsen

Rogui Jacobsen

Jullian JOhnsson

Suni Olsen

Claus Jorgensen

Mikkjal Thomassen

Attackers

Jakup a Borg

Andrew av Flotum

Hjalgrim Elttor

Arnold Joensen

Todi Jonsson

On the same day, I also managed to fix up a friendly on the free match day I had on 30th March 2005 against Kazakhstan - should be interesting.

With my main aim of trying to force the national team into the top 100 (and maybe even top 75) in the world, I led my new troops aboard a flight to Basel in Switzerland for my opening World Cup Qualifying match. Sitting at 133rd in the world and against what i thought would be far superior opposition, I was surprised to get a media announcement from an ex-internationalist saying he felt that the Faroes, if they get out the blocks quickly, could perhaps beat the Swiss. Confident talk, i thought, but perhaps a bit over-confident. Anything other than a humiliation (the FA's expectations for the campaign) would suffice.

So, after some brief words before the game, I led my men out for my first match, with a small, but hardy bunch of supporters cheering us on.

Switzerland 1 v Faroe Islands 3

Sat 4th Sept 2004

Ref: Mark Clattenburg

An incredible match which saw Switzerland race into a 1 goal lead, and leave me thinking that perhaps this was going to be a harder task than I originally gave it credit for. However, my men stuck to their task, and there was sheer elation when I watched the first goal go in - a lovely stike my Elttor after 33mins which settled the nerves a bit more.

More drama was to unfold 6 mins later when the Swiss keeper decided to temporarily join the Faroes, had an absolute howler of a sclaffed kick straight to a Borg, who tapped it into an empty net. 2-1!!!!!

The game was finally settled in the 65th minute when a Borg notched his 2nd goal of the game to put the match beyond doubt, and leave the Faroese celebrating long into the early hours of the morning. 1 match, 3 points, and the Faroe Islands sat joint top of Group 4.

Other results:

France 3 Israel 0

Ireland 3 Cyprus 0

After some great celebrations, it was time to board a plane back to Vagar and await the arrival of the French.

And so my very first home game as Faroe Islands manager at the 'National Stadium' in Torshavn. With Claus Jorgensn thanking me for his first cap, and Elttor dedicating his first international goal to myself, morale was high, but expectation realistic as the French came calling.

Faroe Islands 0 v France 3

Wednesday 8th September 2004

Ref: Anders Frisk

And so the onslught began. A decidedly ragged performance by the Faroes allowed danger man Henry behind the defensive line after 12mins to put the French ahead. However, a lifeline seemed to have been thrown in the Faroes direction after 18mins when referee Frisk awarded a penalty after a clumsy challenge by Boumsoung. Up stepped a Borg to hopefully notch up his 3rd of the campaign, only for him to send it past the post.

This gave the French greater determination, and a 2nd soon followed from Wiltord in 38minutes. The French themselves missed a penalty in 62 minutes as Mikkelsen saved brilliantly from Guily. Things got much worse when Kristian Hansen was sent off in 70 minutes, before Anelka finally managed to dispatch a penalty in this game 5 minutes from the end.

Claus Jorgensen also picked up his 2nd yellow of the campaign and finds himself suspended for the trip to Cyprus (along with offender Hansen).

And so to the double header of matches in October, both away, to Cyprus and Ireland.

A couple of squad selection problems arose even before the squad was announced, with impending suspensions for both Jens Kristian Hansen (red card) and also for Claus Jorgensen who was successful in getting booked in both of the 2 preceding games. However, as both would be free for the Ireland game, they retained their places in the squad.

And so an unchanged squad was announced, but within a day, Ennigaro had pulled out through injury, and so Simun Joensen was to receive his first call up, and ultimately got the chance to play.

Another ex-internationalist decided to throw in his tuppence-worth to the media predicting a defeat to Cyprus as he felt the side lacked quality, but that was quickly followed by Oli Johannssen speaking out about the optimisim within the camp Mixed messages again, but at least there is good squad morale.

In private I was secretly hoping for a victory if we had any intention of making a significant dent in this group as i felt we would be very lucky to pick up anything against Ireland.

And so off to Nicosia....

Cyprus 1 v Faroe Islands 1

9th October 2004Ref: Erol Ersoy

A match of mixed emotions. On the one hand, they had to play most of the second half after Labrou received his marching orders (52 mins) and so I would have liked to have seen the team capitalise a bit more on their reduced numbers. That being said, since we only had 2 shots on goal, I really couldnt say we deserved more from this match. Things looked good when they went down to 10 men, and then Benjaminsen opened the scoring after 67 mins.

Unfortunately, they kept attacking and finally broke down my defence with only 8 minutes to go (Konstantinou). So near but year so very far from another momentous victory. However, 4 points from the opening 3 games was better than I could have hoped.

Moved up to 129th in the world.

Other results:

France 0 Ireland 0

Israel 0 Switzerland 2

Ireland 4 v Faroe Islands 0

Wednesday 12th October 2004

Ref: Gilles Veissiere

The writing seemed to be on the wall for this game when the media ran a story believing that the Faroes were easily going to win this game. Perhaps a sign that things are moving in the right direction, but uninhibited delusions of grandeur perhaps led to a degree of complacency at Lansdowne Road. Benjaminsen also spoke out in the media thanking me for his international opportunity, which he grasped so well in the last game with that vital goal in Cyprus.

Silently, I did view this as a slight opportunity as the only other group game was Cyprus v France and I couldnt see France not taking all 3 points.

On the suspension front, both previous offenders returned, only for Hans Hansen and Oli Johanssen to take their place on the sidelines. Again a largely unchanged team, notwithstanding the two suspensions.

Nevertheless, quick scoring by Macken for Ireland in 13 and 23 minutes quickly had us on the backfoot and chasing the game. Things worsened after 36mins when O'Shea of all people snuck another goal in, and the misery was complete just before half time with a Mikkelsen own goal.

Ireland were quite simply too good, and although the defence stopped leaking goals in the second half, we only had one shot in the whole game, which is a decidedly worrying statistic. After the shock opening game victory, the strikers have become a bit toothless in front of goal.

On the plus, we moved up to 125th in the world rankings.

Other result:

Cyprus 0 France 2

That concluded the qualifying games for 2004. Friendly matches at home to canada and away to norway offer a chance to try and improve creativity before the competitive games resume.

Cyprus has still to play Israel in November whilst the other nations are also engaged in friendly encounters. Thus, at this stage in proceedings, we lie 125th in the world rankings and 4th in the Group:

Nation pld/points

France 4/10

Ireland 4/10

Cyprus 4/4

Faroe Islands 4/4

Switzerland 3/3

Israel 3/0

And so onto the friendly matches. Although hardly swamped with an embarassment of riches which allows any real degree of experimentation, these friendlies did offer a chance to try out a few new players and tactical options. The most critical aspect that needed improving (based on the last few games) was creativity - goals were becoming harder and harder to come by!!

Once again for this double header the squad was largely unchanged. Jon Roi Jacobsen did depart through injury, and a swift recall was offered to Ennigaro.

First up, Canada came calling to Torshavn.

Faroe Islands 0 Canada 2

Saturday 13th November 2004

Ref: Florian Meyer

There was a small amount of tinkering with the starting 11, with first caps under my regime being given to Arnold Joensen and Kurt Mokore. This was supposed to inspire a more attacking performance, but in truth we never really got going. Kristian Hansen (sent off in the France game) continued his misfortunes by giving Canada the lead after 22 mins by scoring an own goal, with Canada sealing the victory in the 78th min with a goal by Franks. This was a bitterly disappointing performance, with once again creativity going forward being the biggest problem. Food for thought for the trip to Norway...

Norway 5 Faroe Islands 1

Wednesday 17th November 2004

Ref: Herbert Fandel

Absolutely obliterated!!! Despite some fair amount of optimism in the press (believing a victory was on the cards), and squad tinkering kept to a minimum (Knudsen got his first 45mins in goals and Julian Johnsson was introduced) to try and ensure some consistency within the playing staff, we were played off the park. I did think this was going to be a much sterner test than the Canada game, but I had hoped that the team would show a bit more fight and determination that was displayed.

In truth, it was a hammering. Norway went in front after 15mins through an Andresen penalty, although the travelling Faroes support has something to shout about once a Borg levelled the scores after 21 minutes. Unfortunately, the next 16 mins were a disaster. First, Andresen scored again on 28mins, followed by a quick fire double by Carew on 35mins and then Hoseth on 37. Carew completed the scoring after 50mins, and for the next 40mins, the game was just played out as both teams went through the motions offering little.

Despite only scoring once and conceding 7 in these two games, quite a bit has been learned and hopefully the squad will be able to put this into practice when the real matches start again in earnest. Until then, there are a few more friendlies in the pipeline giving an opportunity to try and recapture the stunning form shown in Switzerland.

Other result:

Cyprus 2 Israel 1

At the end of 2004:

Pld 6, W 1, D 1, L 4, GF 5, GA 16, PTS 4

This leaves us sitting 132nd in the world rankings, which is unfortunately a slide back down the rankings after recent months had seen us hit the 125th mark.

European Zone Qualifying Group 4 stands as thus:

Team----------Pld/Pts

France 4/10

Ireland 4/10

Cyprus 5/7

Faroes 4/4

Switzerland 3/3

Israel 4/0

Oddly enough, Im quite looking forward to the games against Israel.

And so on to 2005. Christmas, Hogmany and New Year was spend back in Scotland courtsey of the direct flights linking my adopted country and my home country. This was a typically boozy time of year, but on the flight back to Vagar, i found a crumpled napkin still in my pocket, with a detailed sketch of a new 4-4-1-1 tactic devised whilst 'slightly' under the influence in an attempt to revitalise the ever-so-slightly flagging performances of late. What would my Brazilian assistant think of all of this - a man from the land of skill and grace attempting to put into practice his boss's hungover musings!!

However, time does not stand still, and two home friendlies awaited in February and March against Tunisia and Kazakhstan respectively. And so, after having a few weeks of scouting and looking at the national squad afresh, I announced the 26 men that I hoped would take me through 2005 - or at least form a strong backbone with others dropping in and out as injuries and suspensions required:

Goalkeepers:

Jakup Mikkelsen (Huddersfield)

Gunnar Nielsen (Frem)

Jens Martin Knudsen (NSI)

Defenders:

Jan Andresen (KI)

Poul Ennigaro (GI)

Hans Frooi Hansen (Padova)

Jens Kristian Hansen (B36)

Johan Byrial Hansen (AC Horsens)

Johannis Joensen (MB)

Simun Joensen (KI)

Oli Johannsen (Not attached)

Midfielders:

Frooi Benjaminsen (B68)

Hallur Danielsen (HB)

Ossur Hansen (B68)

Rogvi Jacobsen (HB)

Claus Jorgensen (Oldham)

Allan Morkore (B36)

Petur Oli Samuelson (Vikingur)

Mikkjal Thomassen (Besancon)

Attackers:

Jakup a Borg (B36)

Hjalgrim Elttor (KI)

Andrew av Flotum (Fremad Amager)

Arnold Joensen (KI)

Todi Jonsson (FC Kobenhavn)

Kurt Morkore (HB)

Barour Mortansson (B36)

Not massively different from the first squad i selected in 2004, but one or two new faces.

Football returns to Torshavn.

After having spent the vast majority of matches in 2004 on the road, it was with great delight that my opening two friendly matches of 2005 were in front of the native fans, who would hopefully turn out in healthy numbers to support the team.

Incredibly, the game against Tunisia was quickly beset my injuries and call offs. The biggest blow was the injury to top scorer a Borg. He was replaced by Vinjard Dam (GI) who many thought could struggle to fill the large void left by a Borgs absence. Av Flotum pulled out the day before the game, but it was now that the media circus began and the first testing moment of my stewardship of the Faroes.

John Pedersen was my preferred replacement for Av Flotum. However, as he wanted to be named in the original squad, he snubbed the opportunity to be a replacement and refused to join his comrades at the training camp outside Torshavn. This was the first sign of dissension in the ranks, and was quickly snapped up by the media. Not ideal preparation before a friendly against one of the African giants.

Faroe Islands 0 Tunisia 3

Wednesday 9th February 2005

Ref: Alain Sars

Att: 9977

This was always going to be tough against a team that were steam rolling their way through the African qualifiers to Germany 2006, and so it proved.

The starting 11 was again relatively settled with Mikkelsen in goals, S Joensen J Joensen J Hansen and H Hansen making up the defence, the midfield comprising Mortansson, Jonsson, Thomassen and Benjaminsen, with Dam and Elttor up front.

Although defending steadfastly and with determination, the deadlock was broken on the 35th minute with Hosni scrambling home a goal after the ball bounced around in the box. Benachour scored in 55 and Zouaoui finished the tie off in 66 mins. After this however, there was a far more settled look about the team, with a good few shots on goal and more passes finding team mates. The last 25mins or so was definitely encouraging.

And so the media circus continues. After the farcical refusal of a call up, the national media of course demanded answers. Would Pedersen be called up again? Would he ever play again? Wanting to quell any dissension in the ranks, and being a bit of a disciplinarian when it comes to matters of this sort, a brief, but to the point statement was issued by myself: "The matter may be beyond an apology", I explained to the media "Pedersen has shown disrespect to me and to the team. It is unlikely he will ever be picked again". If nothing else, this certainly got the papers talking, although mercifully it seemed they were more inclined to take my side on the matter.

6 weeks later the next international squad had to be picked, and true to my word, Pedersen was nowhere to be seen, although that was more to do with the return of a Borg and Av Flotum than any other agenda. Morkore was dropped for now quite simply being to old and Jacobsen was injured. Once again the talking point in the media was the Pedersen scenario, with headlines such as "Pedersen enters international wilderness" being commonplace. The next day, Pedersen intimated that he would be retiring from international football. A sensible move, and one that put the issue to bed before a friendly that I hoped would be morale boosting and a must win match.

Results from Sat 26 March:

France 4 Switzerland 0

Israel 1 Ireland 3

Faroe Islands 1 Kazakhstan 0

Wednesday 30th March 2005

Ref: Metin Tokat

Att: 8983

Staring 11: Mikkelsen; S Joensen, J Joensen, J Hansen, H Hansen; Mortansson, Jorgensen, Thomassen, Benjaminsen; a BOrg, Elttor.

With the Pedersen problem out of the window, this was a chance to boost morale ahead of the visit of Switzerland in June. And what a boost it was. Although my no means was it like watching Brazil, there was a greater confidence and much more creativity shown than there had been in previous matches. Jonsson was dropped from the midfield and a Borg was to return, giving the supporters who turned out in such force something to hope for.

Despite totally dominating this game, the only goal of the game came courtesy of super sub Jonsson who replaced a Borg in 72 minutes and prompted scroed the opener in 74 mins - a goal that lifted to roof off the stadium. Some lovely passing moves and shots on goal augers well for the future, as did the very resolute and solid defending in the last 8 mins when Kazakhstan went to a 424 all out attack style formation. A clean sheet and a victory was a just reward, and a proud moment given all that had gone on in the media before.

Other results:

Israel 0 France 1

Switzerland 1 Cyprus 1

And so on to a qualification double header, with two home games against Switerland and Rep of Ireland. 2 games which were going to be testing, but for the first time in a few matches, the squad were going into this game with their heads held high and morale boosted. Unfortunately, preparations were hampering as the squad quickly became ravaged by injury. Gunnar Nielsen was the first to go, and was replaced by Magnus Poulsen (B36). Jacobsen was to return from injury, but Ennigaro was yet again to withdraw through injury and his replacement was HB's Hans a Lag. Ossue Hansen was the next to fall, and Jann Ingi Petersen of Vikingur took his place. Lastly, veteran centre half Hans Hansen failed to pass a fitness test, which was probably the biggest loss of them all, and was replaced by uncapped Aslakur R Petersen (EB/Streymur).

The media was cautiously optimistic in the lead up to this match, with former internationalists and keeper Mikkelsen all trying to put a bit more pressure on Switzerland. I, myself, was hoping for my first competitive home victory.

Faroe Islands 0 Switzerland 1

Saturday 4th June 2005

Ref: Florian Meyer

Att: 9974

Due to injuries there was a bit of a defensive reshuffle. The starting XI read as:

Mikkelsen, Johannesen, J Joensen, J Hansen S Joensen; Mortansson, Jorgensen, Thomassen, Benjaminsen; a Borg, Elttor.

Todays referee was Mr Meyer who last officiated in the friendly v Canada, and I was hoping he wasnt going to bring the same bad luck again. That being said, it was an exceptionally spirited performance, with the players passing with confidence and causing the Swiss players quite a few problems. Unfortunately, we were hit by a hammer blow in injury time in the first half when Streller sneaked in behind the back line and smoothly tucked away what was their best, and to be honest, only real chance of the match until that point.

The second half followed much of the same pattern. Us pressing and attempting to test their keeper without much success, whilst by the closing half hour the Swiss grew in confidence and you could see it just wasnt going to be out afternoon. Over the piece, I felt we really did deserve a draw.

Other results:

Ireland 4 Israel 1

Faroe Islands v Ireland

Wednesday 8th June 2005

Ref: Valentin Ivanov

Att: 9976

This was a Braveheart performance of epic proportions. Ireland looked unsettled from the off, and the Faroes midfield, wholly rejuvenated and finding growing confidence with every game were causing problems at every turn. Such was the passing and movement, ireland were occasionally reduced to just 'hoofing' the ball up the field to gain some respite. And so it wasnt long until the my boys opened the scoring through Jonsson in 14 minutes when a wicked free kick clipped the top of the wall and flew into the goal.

The crowd then exploded into life when another surging attack forward ended up in referee Ivanov pointing to the spot after Jonsson was scythed down in the box. A Borg stepped up confidently in 26 minutes, only to sadly ballon the ball over the bar.

This took the wind out my players a touch, and Ireland, after slowly coming back into the game more scored with their own penalty through Reid in 39 minutes. In perhaps their only real attack in the 2nd half, Robbie Keane stole the game and the 3 points when he thrashed a shot home after 54 minutes.

My lads tried and tried, with Jonsson putting in a Kenny Miller-esque performance (for those that saw the two Scotland games this week), but sadly it was not to be. So near yet so far.

Teams are perhaps now finding points harder to come by when they play the Faroes, and although we took nothing from this, it was a deserved 1 or 2 points from both games.

Faroe Islands 1 Ireland 2

Other results: None

Group:

Ireland 7 pld/19pts

France 6/16

Cyprus 6/8

Switzerland 6/7

Faroes 6/4

Israel 7/0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">first to go, and was replaced by Magnus Poulsen (B36). Jacobsen was to return from injury, but Ennigaro was yet again to withdraw through injury and his replacement was HB's Hans a Lag. Ossue Hansen was the next to fall, and Jann Ingi Petersen of Vikingur took his place. Lastly, veteran centre half Hans Hansen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure bad luck will turn at some point in your game !

keep it up !

FC - The injuries dont bother me too much - all part and parcel of international football. I would have to confess after some of the batterings in 2004, I did wonder what id let myself in for. However, the battling, if pointless at the moment, performances of 2005 have raised my hopes. Finishing 4th would be a fantastic achievement!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ptfc_kev:

FC - The injuries dont bother me too much - all part and parcel of international football. I would have to confess after some of the batterings in 2004, I did wonder what id let myself in for. However, the battling, if pointless at the moment, performances of 2005 have raised my hopes. Finishing 4th would be a fantastic achievement!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I fully agree with that.

I always wonder in these sort of challenges if one day real talent will show up...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FujiSon:

honestly, in a cm 01/02 game once, the faroe islands got 3rd place at the 2012 world cup. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suspect I may have to enter the murky underworld of bribery to equal that achievement!!

Great story, must admire taking a weak national team and making it a world dominant power icon_smile.gif

ps, something is weird about the match engine, 7 games, and 0 points to israel?? we already have about 15 in real life icon_rolleyes.gif

keep up the good work mate

The 11th July saw me celebrate my first year in charge here in the Faroe Islands, and looking back I think I can be quite pleased at how things have gone. A couple of victories (some competitive, some otherwise), a few draws, but also some resounding defeats. On the plus side, in recent months, the team has been playing with much greater confidence, and certainly gave both Switzerland and Ireland a tough game, albeit I still emerged from those matches without any points. On the whole, there has certainly been some forward progress, and hopefully that progress will continue.

On the domestic front, all 3 representatives crash out of Europe before August. HB narrowly lost in the Qualifying 1st round of the Champions League to WIT-Georgia 4-3 on agg. B71 were swiftly eliminated from the Intertoto Cup by a fellow team of minnows from Macedonia, whilst EB and AB were defeated in the UEFA CUp by Zimbru of Moldova and Inter Turku (Finland) respectively. Not a good campaign for any team concerned.

And so August brings Cyprus to Torshavn. This is the only group game and with the seasn barely up and running both teams will be a bit rusty I think. Hans Hansen returns replacing Hans a Lag. Neither Ossur Hansen or Ennigaro are recalled, despite the doubt hanging over Jan Ingi Petersen and his slight niggling injury.

As soon as the squad was announced Magnus Poulsen pulls out. However, due to either the game or some ridiculous rule, I was unable to move Gunnar Nielsen in from the U21s. Thus, a complete rookie Pol Naess Joensen (HB) gets his first call up. New boy Alsakur Petersen also injured and so Ennigaro does indeed return.

The media is not exactly optimistic.

Faroes Islands 6 Cyprus 0

Wednesday 17th August 2005

Ref: Arturo Dauben Ibanez

Att: 9966

This was a truly sensational performance and an absolute beating. Previous performances had suggested that a victory could well soon be on the cards, but to win in such emphatic style was outwith everyone's dreams.

This game was all but over by the 19th minute as the Faroes swept into a 3-0 lead, led by talisman a Borg and the able support play of Jonsson. His first came in 12 minutes with a lovely strike beyond the Cyprus keeper, before racing behind the Cyprus defence more or less straight from kick off and slotting home his second. The shell shocked Cypriot keeper then had to pick the ball out of his net a 3rd time in 19 mins as a Borg sealed his hattrick. Incredibly, he then stole a 4th goal in the 38th minute and by this point the Faroes were in dreamland.

The second half didnt quite have the same forward momentum, with Cyprus surging up the park at every opportunity and the defense looking a touch ropey. However, the game was completely sealed once the referee penalised their goalkeeper for a pushing offence in the box, and J Hansen of all people slotted home the resulting penalty (63 min). There was still enough time however for Jonsson to get a goal in injury time which was just reward for all his endeavour in this game - albeit it was a complete fluke.

This was a sensational performance, but it does need to be put in context - we only had 6 shots on target in the whole game, so to win 6-0 was a touch fortunate.

This certainly represents a massive forward step, and also my first competitive home victory. This are certainly looking up, and moving Jonsson into a more forward role seems to have really changed things.

Other results:

None

Having now moved up to 126th in the world, September rolled around, and with it a double header away to France and then hosting Israel. Johan Byrial Hansen was dropped from this squad and replaced by Aslakur Petersen who managed to shake off a previous injury. Av Flotum was unfortunately crocked, and his replacement was Aki MOrk of IF.

Understandable, their was a buzz around the country after the previous incredible result, which left my squad being treated like gods. It also set a new record for our biggest win, and, to be quite honest, I was immensely proud, if a little shocked with our last performance. That aside, the trip to Paris was always going to be fraught with danger, and in truth, I really dont think the French side were at all concerned with our recent good form.

The media was ridiculously optimistic, but I didnt really see us taking anything from this game. That being said, I was certainly going to have a go. Johannis Joensen was suspended after being sent off in the game against Cyprus (which I neglected to mention in the last report!!)

France 7 Faroe Islands 0

Saturday 3rd September 2005

Ref: Franz-Xaver Wack

Att: 72 719

XI: Mikkelsen; Johannsen, S Joensen, J Hansen, H Hansen; Mortansson, Jorgenson, Thomasson, Benjaminsen; a Borg, Jonsson.

This was a truly, truly, truly awful performance. We found ourselves 1-0 down straight from kick off after 29 seconds (Pires), and that really set the tone for the whole game. As promised, I set up a team that was more attack-based than defence-based, and for that I have to take the whole blame and learn a valuable lesson. It was only when we reverted to a 5-4-1 heavily defensive formation that we managed to stop the French scoring for fun. In future, I wont be quite so attacking away from home against the Group's top seed.

Not a single player could really be given pass marks, and no one really turned up. Even the growingly influential Jonsson was posted missing. And so the goals flooded in: Henry in 17, 19 and 27 minutes, with Kapo breaking up his hattrick in the 22nd minute. Trezeguet got in on the action in 35 mins, and Henry got his fourth and the French's final goal in 88 mins.

From the brilliant to the awful, this was a painful reminder that we are one of the group's weaker teams. Lessons have been learned, but alot can be taken from the last 4 games and the positive strides taken, and hopefully that can be put to good use against Israel.

The other result in the Group for that matchday:

Switzerland 2 Israel 0

Looking ahead to the next game, 3 points really isnt an unattainable goal, and with Israel still pointless, and the fight still on for 4th place, this is definitely a game we will play to win.

Faroe Islands v Israel

Wednesday 7th September 2005

Ref: Uriah Rennie

Att: 9982

This was a game I was happy to see. Back home in front of a much smaller crowd (the 72000-odd crowd in France perhaps unsettled the players as well), and back home safe and sound after the gubbing on Saturday, we would hopefully get a much needed morale-boosting win.

XI: The same as in France, except J Joensen replaced S Joensen at left back after he returned from suspension.

Suffice to say, this game did not go at all according to plan. Within 5 minutes, Israel were in our penalty area, J Hansen committed himself to a clumsy challenge, and referee Rennie was conned into believing the Israelis swallow dive was indeed a foul. Benayoun stepped up to take the penalty, and easily slotted it home. This should have jolted my troops into action, but it really didnt, and play was lethargic and complacent at times. Fortunately an equaliser did occur, and it was that man a Borg again who scored a well-worked goal in 15mins.

Given the abysmal record Israel have in the Group, I would have hoped for a much more spirited performance. But in truth, it was Israel who did most of the attacking and created most of the chances. It was only good defensive worked that stopped them stealing all 3 points. Even in the 2nd half we found ourselves posted missing and offering little.

This was a very disappointing performance, especially since we became the first team to drop points against Israel. This was certainly a chance missed, but I suppose on the back of a morale sapping slaughtering in France, it at least allowed us to get some points on the board.

Other results:

Cyprus 1 Switzerland 2

Ireland 3 France 3

With Cyprus and Switzerland now only playing France and Ireland in their remaining two games, the Swiss victory in Cyprus was a huge boost to our hopes of perhaps stealing 4th place in what would be a memorable qualifying campaign. Ive no idea how the seedings are made for later tournaments, but a 4th placed finish might move us up a pot or 2 and make life a touch easier in the future. At least a point is need in Israel to ensure that eventuality, assuming of course Ireland and France take 6 points each off their opponents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fc Denderleeuw:

wow,never saw the Faroer win 6-0

nice one icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. Was a great result and a great moment for me as a manager. Of course, it was a touch lucky - 6 shots, 6 goals doesnt happen very often!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ptfc_kev:

Faroe Islands v Israel

Wednesday 7th September 2005

Ref: Uriah Rennie

Att: 9982

This was a game I was happy to see. Back home in front of a much smaller crowd (the 72000-odd crowd in France perhaps unsettled the players as well), and back home safe and sound after the gubbing on Saturday, we would hopefully get a much needed morale-boosting win.

XI: The same as in France, except J Joensen replaced S Joensen at left back after he returned from suspension.

Suffice to say, this game did not go at all according to plan. Within 5 minutes, Israel were in our penalty area, J Hansen committed himself to a clumsy challenge, and referee Rennie was conned into believing the Israelis swallow dive was indeed a foul. Benayoun stepped up to take the penalty, and easily slotted it home. This should have jolted my troops into action, but it really didnt, and play was lethargic and complacent at times. Fortunately an equaliser did occur, and it was that man a Borg again who scored a well-worked goal in 15mins.

Given the abysmal record Israel have in the Group, I would have hoped for a much more spirited performance. But in truth, it was Israel who did most of the attacking and created most of the chances. It was only good defensive worked that stopped them stealing all 3 points. Even in the 2nd half we found ourselves posted missing and offering little.

This was a very disappointing performance, especially since we became the first team to drop points against Israel. This was certainly a chance missed, but I suppose on the back of a morale sapping slaughtering in France, it at least allowed us to get some points on the board.

Faroes Islands 1 Israel 1

Other results:

Cyprus 1 Switzerland 2

Ireland 3 France 3

With Cyprus and Switzerland now only playing France and Ireland in their remaining two games, the Swiss victory in Cyprus was a huge boost to our hopes of perhaps stealing 4th place in what would be a memorable qualifying campaign. Ive no idea how the seedings are made for later tournaments, but a 4th placed finish might move us up a pot or 2 and make life a touch easier in the future. At least a point is need in Israel to ensure that eventuality, assuming of course Ireland and France take 6 points each off their opponents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've no idea how the seedings are made for later tournaments, but a 4th placed finish might move us up a pot or 2 and make life a touch easier in the future. At least a point is need in Israel to ensure that eventuality, assuming of course Ireland and France take 6 points each off their opponents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeps,could see you with "beatable opponents"

Hang on to this save, I'm curious about how your squad will progress !

icon14.gif

FC - Would be nice to be in a group where I could say at the start that there is a team or 2 I would strongly fancy my chances against!! Time will tell. Will be interested to see how squad develops. 15 months on some of the players are now really the wrong side of 30 so the forthcoming friendly games will be a good chance to blood a few younger players.

October 2005

The Group stages of the qualifying round for Germany 2006 finally reach their conclusion this month, and although most teams are playing twice, I only have my one remaining tie away to Israel - a team that really should have promised so much but have failed to deliver (a strange match engine indeed Eli). However, it is not an easy place to go to, and since a point would probably guarantee me 4th place, I certainly wasnt going to adopt a gung-ho attitude to this fixture. Although meaningless in the grand scheme of things, a 4th placed finish could perhaps make life easier in the future, so the fixture took on added importance.

Prior to the squad being named, Mork had to withdraw having picked up an injury during club football. In any event, he probably wouldnt have been picked as I was more keen to reinstate Av Flotum to the squad now that his minor injury had cleared up.

The media is naturally optimistic given Israel's appauling record and our (surprising) good form in recent months. There was also the added bonus that, for the very first time during my 15 month tenure of the national squad, there was not a single call off after the squad was announced. A pleasant change indeed.

And so, for the final time in this (my first) qualifying campaign, I led the troops onto the plane departing Vagar for the long flight to Israel.....

Israel 2 Faroe Islands 2

Saturday 8th October 2005

Ref: Urs Meier

Att: 37 822

XI (4-4-2): Mikkelsen; Johannesen, J Joensen, J Hansen, H Hansen; Mortansson, Jorgenson, Thomasson, Av Flotum; a Borg, Jonsson.

Playing in front of 38000 people I was again concerned at the effect this might have on my team, who seem ill at ease playing unless in front of much smaller crowds. This, however, was a relatively pleasing performance in terms of grounding out a result as the defence was called into action for long spells during the game and did its best to minimise the attacking chances of the Israeli attack.

Goals were at a premium in the first half, with the Faroes opening the scoring in the 40th minute courtesy of a rather fortuitous own goal by Ben-Haim who appeared to panic with a Borg bearing down on him in the Israeli penalty area. Given the precious few chances we created, a 1-0 lead at half time was perhaps a touch undeserved.

Unfortunately, Israel came out a far stronger team in the second half and were to reap their own reward after 52 minutes when Biruk rocketed a shot from outside the area beyond Mikkelsen. With the Faroes now on the back foot, I hauled the ineffective Jonsson off and replaced him with Elttor, who proceded to repay my faith with a super strike 6 minutes from the end of the game. This would indeed have been a complete steal of 3 points, but a late late equaliser was to deny me that privilege with Denin scoring deep into injury time.

This was a touch disappointing, but my mood was lifted upon hearing the other results filter through, with both Cyprus and Switzerland losing.

Other results:

Cyprus 0 Ireland 2

Switzerland 0 France 2

Wednesday 12th October 2005

Having completed all 10 games, we were fortunately not faced with a tiring return to Vagar, nor a frantic attempt to get to another away game, in time for a midweek match. Instead, our fate was now outwith our hands. As the Swiss were well beyond us points wise, I really wasnt too bothered about how they fared against Ireland. Of considerably more interest was Cyprus' trip to France, since as long as they lost, the Faroe Islands would occupy 4th spot and complete perhaps their best every qualifying round. Given the obliteration we suffered, I didnt really expect Cyprus to do much in this group, especially since France required a victory to ensure that they won the group and thus guaranteed themselves automatic qualification.

And in the end, that is exactly the way things panned out.....

France 6 Cyprus 0

Ireland 2 Switzerland 2

World Cup European Qualifying Section Group 4

(all teams played 10 games)

France 26pts

Ireland 24

Switzerland 14

FAROE ISLANDS

oops....ill try that again

World Cup European Qualifying Section Group 4

(all teams played 10 games)

France 26pts

Ireland 24

Switzerland 14

FAROE ISLANDS 9

Cyprus 8

Israel 2

Our own record

Pld 10, w 2, d 3, l 5, gf 14, ga 22, gd -8, pts 9

The run of form in the last 6 months or so also meant we now found ourselves sitting 118th in the world!!! A tremendous achievement in my eyes, and certainly a much greater impact on the group that I could possibly have imagined when we embarked upon this journey in 2004!

November 2005

So after the excitement of the qualifying matches - the highs and the lows - it was time to finish off the year 2005 with two friendly matches against Andorra away and Georgia at home (given that we would not be taking part in the playoff matches that weekend or midweek). Gunnar Nielsen finally made it back to the first team after I remembered to include him in the squad well before the squad selection deadline to avoid him being tied up with the u21s, whilst Arnold Joensen (having made only 1 start i think) was removed; his berth in the team was then given to Palli Augustinussen (VB).

Given that the squad remained relatively unchanged over the past 15 months or so, it was always going to be the case that I had an ageing squad under my command, and so the focus was on youth for these friendly games. To that end, I was striving to make sure that the players were predominately under 30.

Although more concerned about my own matches, it was difficult not to lose sight of the vital playoff games taking place over the next few days, with some intriguing ties on offer:

Ukraine v Serbia

Norway v Slovakia

and Bulgaria v Czech Rep

Andorra v Faroe Islands

Saturday 12th November 2005

Ref: Lutz-Michael Frohlich

Att: 724

XI (442): Nielsen, S Joensen, Andreassen, H Hansen, J Hansen; Mortansson, Jorgensen, Thomassen, Benjaminsen; a Borg, Jonsson.

Not massive changes as most of my squad are under 30 anyway, but of the veterans, the 2 Hansens kept their places at the heart of the defence (one area of the pitch that I'm not going to make sweeping changes just for the sake of it!). Playing in front of such a miserable crowd was a bit of a change for the Faroese who are now commanding home attendances of almost 10,000 on a regular basis.

The Faroes raced into a 1 goal lead in the 7th minute with a Borg yet again popping up in the penalty area to score another poacher's goal and increase his tally for the year. However, after this we seemed to take our foot off the pedal, and for large chunks of the 1st half, Andorra more than matched us.

With substitution restrictions lifted for the friendly, I made a large number of changes at HT and during the 2nd half. Unfortauntely, it did adversely affect the performance, with play becoming a bit more fragmented, and letting Andorra get more and more into the game. Then, in 79 minutes, Mr Frohlich pointed to the penalty spot in what was a very soft award of a penalty. Up stepped Andorra striker Mellado who balloned it over the bar. That was a bit of a let off, and we were to hold out the remaining 9 minutes to win the game. The only sour note being the ordering off of S Joensen in injury time for his 2nd caution.

Andorra 0 Faroe Islands 1

It was pleasing that 19yo Gunnar Nielsen kept a clean sheet on his international debut, and afterwards he publicly thanked me for his opportunity.

Faroe Islands v Georgia

Wednesday 16th November 2005

Ref: Mike Dean

Att: 9974

XI: (442) Nielsen; S Joensen, Andreassen, Petersen, H Hansen; Mortansson, Jorgensen, Thomassen, Benjaminsen; a Borg, Jonsson.

If you thought losing a goal after 29 seconds against France was embarrasing, you were right!! So imagine my reaction when we surpassed even that and allowed Georgia to score afater only 26 seconds. Truly appauling, especially at home. Added to that, we were only making things harder for ourselves against a team that narrowly missed out on the playoffs for the world cup. Things were to get worse when Iashvili scored a penalty after 14 minutes and then Kobiashvili (scorer of the first goal) snatched his 2nd after 29. Gigiadze put the game out of sight in 41 mins, leaving the Faroese rather despondent at half time.

Abandoning the 442 formation that was leaking goals in this game, I shifted first to a 4132, and then later to a 4411, and whilst this tightened up the defence and allowed us to get forward a bit more, ultimately, we were destined not to score in this game - a bitterly disappointing way to close the year 2005 which had offered so many high points.

Nevertheless, again it was a good game to have and much more was learned in this game than the victory over Andorra. Perhaps still tactically a touch naive when managing one of Europes weaker teams, the games against the tougher teams allow me to learn rather then simply bask in the reflected glory of a victory.

Faroe Islands 0 Georgia 4

News from elsewhere in Europe.....

In the playoffs, Czech Rep, Ukraine and Norway all went through, and they will also be joined in Germany by the automatic qualifiers:

Holland, Turkey, Portugal, France, Ireland, Italy, England, Wales, Spain and Sweden.

European Championship 2008 Qualifying Group 2

Germany

Croatia

Wales

Belarus

FAROE ISLANDS

Azerbaijan

With the only qualification games in 2006 being in September and October, a number of friendlies have been arranged against opponents of varying difficulty:

2006:

Moldova (A) 8th Feb

Czech Rep (A) 29th Mar

San Marino (H) 2nd Sept

Denmark (H) 11th Nov

Switzerland (A) 15th Nov

2007:

Sweden (H) 14th Nov

Other dates in 2007 have still to be arranged.

The U21s have also got friendlies and been paired up with the games against Denmark and Sweden, and also at home to Australia 21s on 1st Sept 06.

Of more promising news was the performance of the u19 team who narrowly missing out on progressing from the First Qualifying Round of the u19 European Championship Qualifying on goal difference. Perhaps the future for the Faroes could well be reasonably bright.

Archived