2 types of defensive blunder

During the previous two months season my team (West Ham) has developed two defensive errors that it keeps on committing. I started the season off well, solid at the back but now I am shipping goals and genuinely at least 95% of my goals are from errors. I play a pretty standard 4-4-2 system.

The first one is that my fullbacks seem to be far two narrow and are standing about 2 yards from the centre backs. From this I have conceded many goals simply from the opposition hitting a long ball to their winger in acres of space who makes a diagonal run taking the ball into the box and scores. I have tried making the team play with more width but this hasn't solved the problem. They also keep trying to play dreadful offside traps despite me specifically telling them not to.

The other problem which has developed in the last month is that my players keep passing directly to the opposition in dangerous areas. In my last game I was totally dominating but everytime I scored one of my players (usually a winger) would pass the ball square to either an opponents midfielder or striker who would then just run on and score.

I could accept it if I was conceding goals that came from a good passing move from the opposition but I am just giving away goals at the moment.

Any help/advise would be great.

Archived