2013-14: Central Coast Mariners

A-League finals

2009: Melbourne Victory

2010: Central Coast Mariners

2011: Adelaide United

2012: Central Coast Mariners

2013: Sydney FC

2014: Central Coast Mariners

Usually my assistants haven't been worth bringing with me.

Crashed out of the Champions League. Lost 3-0 at Shandong, drew 1-1 against Nagoya Stolz (a match we dominated, aside from shipping a goal 1 minute into the match), and 3-0 at home to Pohang Steelers when our exit was already confirmed.

Drafted in some other names to the backroom staff: John Alosi (former Australian international) and Ante Razov (former fringe US international) have been added as scouts.

dont know why but always loved playing Pohang, are they as dominant in your game as mine? (normally win the Asian Champions League)

They're okay, but nothing special. Since I started the game:

No ACL titles.

No top-3 finishes in the K-League.

FA Cup win in 2012, runners-up in 2013.

League Cup runners-up in 2013.

League finishes (from 2009 on): 11th, 9th, 4th, 6th, 5th. They're only 9th this season, but they have about 5 games in hand.

Their reserve team has won their group in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, and were runners-up in 2011. So maybe they've got some players developing.

whats your transfer policy as the best players obviously wont go to australia?

I generally look for free transfers and building with youth in all my FM efforts, and given the limits on foreign players and the salary cap, I'm likely to continue that policy. I'll just need to make some cash to build up a youth academy and improve the training facilities. :D

(and indeed, the pre-season report says that due to the financial straits we're in -- our bank balance is A$8.5 M in the red, and we have an outstanding A$5.5M bank loan -- I'm going to have to make do with players developing from the youth ranks)

"Have football...indeed, will travel!" Possibly the furthest you could've travelled to get from Singapore to Australia! :D I like your global travels so far, let's hope that you can finally claim some silverware during your time in Sydney. Good luck mate :thup:

World Cup 2014

Group Stage:

A: Mexico, Egypt

B: Canada, Iran

C: Peru, England (England bottom of the group. Since it was in Brazil, they probably blamed the heat. :D)

D: Hungary, Morocco

E: Sweden, Japan

F: Saudi Arabia, Ukraine

G: USA, Nigeria

H: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile

Round of 16

Russia 2-1 Greece

Brazil 1-0 Argentina

Germany 2-1 South Korea

France 2-0 Australia

Ivory Coast 1-0 Italy

Uruguay p0-0 Spain

Croatia 1-0 Benin

Colombia 2-0 Turkey

Quarterfinals

France e2-1 Russia

Brazil 3-0 Germany

Colombia 4-0 Ivory Coast

Uruguay p3-3 Croatia

Semifinals

France p0-0 Uruguay

Brazil 3-2 Colombia

Third-place

Uruguay 1-0 Colombia

World Cup Final

France 2-1 Brazil

Golden Ball

Pato (BRA) 4 goals, 5 assists

Golden Boot

Welliton (BRA) 8 goals in 7 matches

Goal of the Tournament

Matias Fernandez (CHI), "a screamer from the edge of the area" in group play against Bosnia.

Goalkeeper of the Tournament

Hugo Lloris (FRA) 2 goals conceded in 7 matches.

World Cup 2022 awarded to .... United States

I wouldn't count on it for as long as all of our best players keep declaring for other nations. :(

If I've read JtY's specs right than he has a dual core 1.9 ghz processor and about 3 gb of ram? That's about the same as I have and if it is than I'm going to be tempted to load up a gigantic save like this.

And am I dreaming, or did Canada actually get to the World Cup in your save :eek:.

Yep. Finished third in the hex, 3 points ahead of Honduras.

They were in a tough group at the WC (Argentina, Russia, Iran) but held up well. Drew 1-1 with Iran, lost 2-1 to Russia (they played most of the game with the lead, but must have run out of gas, as the Russians scored twice in the final 10 minutes) and 2-0 to Argentina (both Argentine goals were in the second half).

Sydney FC, 2014-15

Media prediction: 7th

A bit of a struggle this season, as finances were our major concern. As we headed into the new season, the club announced losses of A$3.9M, or 27 percent of turnover (though much of this included the cost of changing out the management team).

I allowed all players with expiring contracts leave, which left me with a bit of a threadbare squad. I drafted in a couple of strikers (Stephen Lustica - Wellington, Nathan Elasi - Melbourne Victory) on free transfers, but otherwise it was a pretty standard JtY squad as we were the youngest squad in the league.

And that didn't seem all bad as we brushed aside six New South Wales teams in our pre-season friendlies. As for the season, we started brightly enough and I discovered I had a couple of potential stars in forward Kofi Danning and attacking midfielder Joe Gibbs. The board apparently liked what they saw (or just were accepting the reality of the situation) and injected A$2.8M in two payments to help with running costs.

The league campaign though would not be much of a contest as Central Coast Mariners (under manager Harry Kewell) ran away and hid from the rest of the league thanks to a 24-match unbeaten run, retaining the minor premiership with 4 matches to spare (though they would end up losing to Adelaide United in both the major final, and the grand final).

As for ourselves, our early promise slipped a bit with the grind of the season, but we never fell out of the playoff spots, punching our ticket with a game to spare. However, Gibbs suffered broken ribs in that match, and it meant he would not be taking part in the playoffs.

As the 6th placed team in the league, this meant we were looking at all of our playoff matches being on the road. Our first trip was to Wellington, NZ. Things went bad early when Wellington scored 5 minutes in, and our captain suffered a gashed leg requiring a 15th-minute substitution. We were okay going forward, but kept making a hash of things in the final third. I ended up burning my last substitution with 20 minutes left in normal time (in the A-League minor semifinal, which this match was, it's a single-game knockout that goes to extra time if the scores are level after 90 minutes), bringing striker Brendan Gan off the bench in place of an ineffective Lustica, and going to a 3-5-2, which I had not used at any point in this career.

And what a finish it was. First Gan got the equalizer in the 80th minute on a goal that, frankly, may have been just a hair offside. Then he notched the winner 3 minutes into stoppage time. Sydney stuns Wellington 1-2 to advance to the minor final against Melbourne.

Except. Danning suffered a pulled hamstring in that match and was expected out for the rest of the playoffs. Then my starting goalkeeper, a center back, and a central midfielder all pulled up lame in training. So we would be going to Melbourne with pretty much an A/B team. Melbourne scored 2 minutes in, and we were unable to break down their defense, crashing out.

Still, for our cash-strapped, youthful side, squeezing into the playoffs and knocking off a higher seeded team has to be encouraging.

Players

I've told you a couple of the emerging stars, and Danning and Gibbs were certainly that. They were both named to the Asian All-Star XI, and the Australian Player of the Year shortlist. Their teammates Zdravko Grucijic and Michael Nunes (both 19-year-old defenders) made the shortlist for the Australian Young Player of the Year. Danning also set an A-League record for assists (12), and set a Sydney FC record with a goal 15 seconds into our Nov. 14 match against Brisbane. Gibbs scored 7 goals and chipped in 6 assists.

Ah, but as always there are storm clouds gathering. Gibbs won't sign a new contract, and there are Belgian, Danish, Dutch, and German clubs ready to swoop for him as soon as his contract expires in 6 weeks. I may offer him just to see if I can get something for him rather than see him leave on a free (he's only 22, but I don't think I'd get compensation for him). We're in better shape with Danning, as he has a year left on his deal, but he's caught the eye of Ligue 1 side Nancy.

Personal

A little bit of surprise to see this, but DC United sacked their manager in October, and I was among the names mentioned as possibilities to take over. They decided to approach Alan Shearer instead.

The future

I have one more year on my Sydney deal, but I'll probably re-sign if they give me an offer. Given the finances, I'll probably end up having to take any offers I get, especially for Gibbs and Danning. I'll probably also try to set up a Rancer Invitational (though our pre-season doesn't quite match up to the big European leagues). :D

During the January transfer window, I signed Tadatoshi Kurita on a free transfer. He's getting callups to the Japanese national team, but I got him right at the end of the window, too late to get him registered for the remainder of the A-League season. He'll probably step in to one of the forward slots.

Elasi was a bust, but nobody is willing to take him off my hands (at least, not at the current value).

In the meantime, have a bit of sympathy for my scouts who are scouring Asia. One of them went to Afghanistan, and John Alosi went to North Korea. :D

Season		Club		League			GP	W	D	L	GF	GA	PTS	Finish	Honors	
2009		Geylang United	S-League		8	2	0	6	3	13	6	10th
2010		Geylang United	S-League		33	8	11	14	37	51	35	10th	
2011		Geylang United	S-League		33	10	9	14	35	45	39	8th
2012		Geylang United	S-League		33	15	8	10	46	42	53	6th	
2012-13c	Quilmes		Argentina Division 2	18	6	4	8	30	31	22	14th	
2014-15		Sydney FC	A-League		33	9	8	10	44	38	35	6th	Lost minor final

a = Apertura
c = Clausura

i found Croatia to be a great place for young players who are free/cheap and willing to join about any league,

just a useless tip for you if your strugling finance wise (y)

thats got to suck though:

- "we need you to scout in asia"

- "no worries boss ill grab my Japanese hand book"

- "no mate youll need these your going to afganistan"

(hands scout flak jacket and helmet)

i found Croatia to be a great place for young players who are free/cheap and willing to join about any league,

Board won't let me scout there.

I can do Southeast Asia, South Asia, East Asia, Central Asia, Middle East.

And Australia, of course.

can you scout specific players as i know 1 or 2 who arent regen and could give you names if you wish (will wait on reply incase you dont want player naming :) )

My style of play is essentially LLM, so the only time I will scout specific players is if it's suggested by the backroom staff.

Sydney FC, close season/pre-season 2015

Quite the eventful period for us.

Things kicked off with Joe Gibbs heading to Eintracht Frankfurt on a free transfer. Not long after, defender Zdravko Gucijic and star forward Kofi Danning declared that they wanted to go to bigger clubs (though they did not hand in a transfer request).

Both had only a year left on their contracts, and not wanting to lose them for nothing, I offered them around.

Gucijic would go to Turkish side Genclerbirligi for A$1.5M, while Danning went to Sochaux for A$4M. This, combined with two cash injections totalling A$2.275M means our bank balance is now in the black, and I actually have a transfer budget. My preference for internal development though caused me to ask the board to upgrade our "average" training facilities, but they say there's not enough money available. Fair enough, we are on the cusp of the new season, and the board may want to wait and see how our spending goes this season. They did give me a 1-year contract extension though.

The player sales and stable season ticket sales allowed the board to announce a profit of A$3.9M, or 33 percent of turnover. Not happy losing players, but at least our finances are back in order. (and if a player wants to go, what are you going to do?)

We also offloaded backup right back Sam Munro to Macarthur Rams for A$1,000 a couple of weeks before his contract expired, so that was a little bit of a bonus.

It hasn't been all outgoings though. The scouts have been working diligently, and we've been able to upgrade our right side on the cheap. Plus my contacts back in the US allowed me to pick up a Cuban international midfielder for some veteran cover.

Transfers:

Out: Joe Gibbs - Frankfurt (free)

Sam Munro - Macarthur Rams A$1,000

Zdravko Grucijic - Genclerbirligi A$1.5M

Kofi Danning - Sochaux A$4M

In:

GK Hideto Mochizuki - Unattached (free)

MR Rostyn Griffiths - Unattached (free)

DR Pedj Bojic - Unattached (free)

MC Yordany Alvarez - Unattached (free)

My style of play is essentially LLM, so the only time I will scout specific players is if it's suggested by the backroom staff.

ah ok, always wanted to try LLM but few things stop me like using the editor to create leagues for teams around me,

Good luck for the new season with Sydney :thup:

Can't belive I have not posted yet!

Easily one of my favourite threads on here. Made even better by the fact you are in the A-League, I need to to that some day.

If you are doing LLM I also belive that you can find players through linking in the media like the transfer page. :thup:

Can't belive I have not posted yet!

Easily one of my favourite threads on here. Made even better by the fact you are in the A-League, I need to to that some day.

Thanks. It's been a hard, disappointing slog this season. Very nearly quit this save and blamed it on the new patch. :D

If you are doing LLM I also belive that you can find players through linking in the media like the transfer page. :thup:

I've taken a couple from there, players being released from US clubs.

Sydney FC, 2015-16

Media prediction: 6th

So after last season's playoff appearance, the board and the media were looking for more of the same this season. Despite the losses of Gibbs, Danning, and Grujicic, I felt the incoming players would make up for those losses. I felt even more confident when we grabbed two other free transfers (AM/F Mitch Nicholls, and DR James Stafrace) outside the registration window.

Although we had one bad game (a 3-1 loss at Wellington), we got off to a decent 3-2-3 start that had us solidly in the playoff pack. And things were looking great following a 6-0 demolition of Gold Coast United, in which Tadatoshi Kurita scored 4 goals in the first half-hour. But we didn't score in the second half of the game.

And that was a harbinger of what was to come. Our attack became decidedly pedestrian with our shots regularly going straight at the opposing keeper. Our defenders looked like they'd never played together before, or even played at all. It took a scrappy 2-1 win against Gold Coast to snap what had snowballed into a 10-game winless run that pushed us out of the playoff zone. We managed to hang close until the registration window reopened (and we could finally play Nicholls and Stafrace), but we couldn't get much momentum. We smacked Melbourne 4-1 in a vital 6-pointer, but drew against Perth and lost at home to Central Coast (who have turned into our bogey team. I think I'm 0-1-5 against them), to put us 5 points adrift with 2 to play.

But we won 3-1 at Newcastle, and Melbourne drew, allowing us to close to within 3 points heading into the final match. Us against title contenders Adelaide United, Melbourne against Newcastle (whose loss to us had eliminated them from playoff contention).

I told the boys to play desperate, and they responded with an early goal. Then Adelaide had a player sent off in the 35th minute for a two-footed tackle. We kept our foot on the pedal and won 3-0. Unfortunately, Melbourne got a 2-1 win, and the fat lady had sung.

Since the board was expecting "continental qualification through league position" (which, only the A-League points champion can do that, so I *think* FM is interpreting that as a playoff appearance, as the A-League playoffs are coded seperately to the season), they're not happy about us missing the playoffs. I am now insecure in my job security, but the board are encouraged by the harmony in the squad.

Players

It will be a close season of building. Clearly the loss of Danning deprived us of a true threat up top, as I rotated among 4 strikers for 2 slots only to find nobody seizing his opportunity. One of my starting central midfielders, Joel Chianese, has already agreed a free-transfer move to Lecce. I have some possibilities in the squad already with AMC Yordany Alvarez, and MC Dmitri Petratos, and DM MC Ross Janjatovic could be one for the future. But we could be left thin up top, as I plan to not renew the contracts of Steven Lustica, and Nathan Elasi, and Brendan Gan may not come back either. I could try a Kurita-Nicholls combination, as that was about the only combination I hadn't tried.

Although we had some howlers in defense, I feel reasonably satisfied with the back 5. We have some decent looking prospects in the youth side, but they're probably still a few years away (I'm especially interested in our 16-year-old Lao-Australian GK Mongkol Suzliman, who posted 14 clean sheets in 29 appearances for the youth side. His handling and one-on-ones are already on par with the top two goalkeepers on our depth chart. Just needs to work on his communication and decisions though).

Backroom personnel

Lost scout Ante Razov, who decided to take a similar position with Nottingham Forest. We did get a little compensation out of it though. The contracts of Jason Koumas and John Aloisi are coming to an end soon, and I have to make a decision there.

How did they do?

It was a bit of a rough go for Gibbs, Danning and Grujicic.

Joe Gibbs featured for Eintracht Frankfurt's reserves, making only 1 apperance in the first team. He did grab 2 goals, 4 assists, and a 7.13 average rating in 24 appearances for the reserve team in the Regional Division South.

Kofi Danning made 2 appearances for Sochaux, who sacked the manager who bought him from me.

Grujicic had the best go of it, making 19 league appearances for Genclerbirgli, plus 5 appearance for them in the Europa League qualifiers (they fell to Rennes in the 4th qualifying round). He also got his first Australia cap, against Iraq.

Season		Club		League			GP	W	D	L	GF	GA	PTS	Finish	Honors	
2009		Geylang United	S-League		8	2	0	6	3	13	6	10th
2010		Geylang United	S-League		33	8	11	14	37	51	35	10th	
2011		Geylang United	S-League		33	10	9	14	35	45	39	8th
2012		Geylang United	S-League		33	15	8	10	46	42	53	6th	
2012-13c	Quilmes		Argentina Division 2	18	6	4	8	30	31	22	14th	
2014-15		Sydney FC	A-League		33	9	8	10	44	38	35	6th	Lost minor final
2015-16		Sydney FC	A-League		33	8	6	13	34	33	30	7th

a = Apertura
c = Clausura

Because some of you might be interested :)

Euro 2016 - Scotland/Wales

Group stage exits: Scotland, Germany (bottom of Group A), Wales, Slovenia, Sweden, Croatia, England, Italy

(England and Italy were in Group D with Spain and Romania)

Quarterfinal

Portugal 3-1 Greece

Switzerland 1-0 Ukraine

Romania 1-0 Holland

Spain 1-0 France

Semifinal

Spain e3-1 Portugal

Switzerland 2-1 Romania

Final

Spain 3-1 Switzerland

Golden Boot: Eren Derdlyok (SUI) (7 goals in 6 matches)

Best Player: Fernando Torres (ESP) (4 goals, 3 assists in 6 matches for a 7.93 average rating)

Goal of the Tournament: Cesc Fabregas (ESP) (Long-range curling shot to draw level against Portugal in the 80th minute).

Sydney FC, 2016 close season

More turnover in the squad as I look for the right combination of players. The highlight was my starting GK Nenad Vekic saying he wanted to go to a bigger club about 2 weeks after I'd named him vice-captain. So I flogged him and got A$750K from Spanish side Ponferradina. And then the arsehole criticized me to the media upon his departure. Hope he rots in the reserves in Spain.

The other highlight was Joel Chianese's free-transfer to Lecce falling apart because of rules covering the signing of non-EU players. I tried bringing him back, but he wasn't having it and at this point (a couple days ahead of the A-League season) is still looking for a club.

Brendan Gan managed to land himself a deal with Excelsior in Holland, and Steven Lustica somehow landed with Vicenza. And youth coach Eric Kinder went back to England, landing himself a similar job with Bristol City. We did get A$55,000 in compensation though.

Anyway, the club announced profits of A$4.3M, or 55 percent of turnover, with much of that coming from A$4M in player sales. So I asked the board to upgrade the training facilities, only to be knocked back with a message that they were getting tired of always seeing me in the board room. Bastards. (although our new kit sponsorship is about A$250,000/year less than the previous one. So maybe they're worried by that)

So I took the Vekic transfer fee and did a bit of shopping for the first time in this save. My best bit of business by far is landing Danish goalkeeper Mikkel Andersen from Marconi Stallions for A$20,000 and clauses. His stats give me a lot of confidence, and I think I have a clear-cut No. 1 goalkeeper.

We're still a little thin up front, especially after Tadatoshi Kurita suffered a fractured arm in a pre-season friendly. So I've been experimenting with a 4-2-3-1 with some success (although given the opposition, I'm not expecting great things once the league campaign gets underway). And now Kurita is refusing to sign a contract extension, so I may have to shop him before he's eligible for a pre-contract signing for no fee.

The other highlight of the close season and pre-season is we have two players at the Olympics, right back Michael Nunes with Australia, and backup goalkeeper Hideto Mochizuki with Japan.

IN:

AMLC/FC Dmitry Muminov (Uzbek) - unattached

MC Greg Twaddle - unattached

GK Pietro Lombardi - unattached

GK Mikkel Andersen - Marconi (A$20K + clauses)

ST Matthew Dodds - Sydney Olympic (A$30K + clauses)

AM Jesse Pinto - unattached

AM/FC Stefan Vrbesic - Macarthur Rams (A$30K + clauses)

ST Fawaz Al-Ghamdi (Saudi) - unattached

OUT:

AMRC/FC Chris Payne - contract expiration

ST - Brenden Gan - contract expiration

DLC - Anthony Golec - contract expiration

ST - Nathan Elasi - contract expiration

ST - Steven Lustica - contract expiration

MC - Joel Chianese - contract expiration

AMR - Mitchell Mallia - contract expiration

ST - Stephen Cooper - contract expiration

ML - Tom Woods - Palm Beach A$4.5K

GK - Nenad Vekic - Ponferradina A$750K

ST - Tadatoshi Kurita - Ravenna A$650K

EDIT: Successfully offloaded Kurita to Ravenna for A$650K, and replaced him with unattached Saudi striker Fawaz Al-Ghamdi .

Not a bad bit of business on Kurita, if I do say so. Signed him as a free transfer, flip him for 650,000.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived