Genie Scout Beta

SJJ01

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pompeyboyz:

The code that Genie uses is the same one that Nygreen used for his scout program. Nygreen gave it to Genie under the proviso that it remains with Genie and is not passed on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have no idea what you're talking about dude.

Nygreen didin't give the source code to Genie, the source for Nygreens scout is on Nygreens web page for anyone to download. You can download it, everybody can.

Genie did and developed his version based on that. Anybody can do it provided he has some knowledge of programming and no life.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lance101:

I think I found the way to use the current FM08 Scout Beta...

Whenever FM Scout stops working in your savegame, retire all the human managers and save the game (under some different name). Now open fm scout and voila! It should work.

I've tried this thus far in 3 different save games where fm scout was no longer working and it worked everytime. I don't have anymore any savegame that was started without the patch, so I don't know if it would work under those conditions.

Please test and see if it also works for you.

If this really works, i hope it will help genie finish the FM Scout.

Best,

Lance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works but I accidently saved over without changing save name. I had to go back 3 months. Be careful!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lance101:

Whenever FM Scout stops working in your savegame, retire all the human managers and save the game (under some different name). Now open fm scout and voila! It should work.

I've tried this thus far in 3 different save games where fm scout was no longer working and it worked everytime. I don't have anymore any savegame that was started without the patch, so I don't know if it would work under those conditions.

Best,

It doesn't work for me. Still get an error while loading the save game. I have started the game without the 8.0.1 patch, I've upgraded afterwards. Too bad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r1o:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pompeyboyz:

The code that Genie uses is the same one that Nygreen used for his scout program. Nygreen gave it to Genie under the proviso that it remains with Genie and is not passed on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nygreen didin't give the source code to Genie, the source for Nygreens scout is on Nygreens web page for anyone to download. You can download it, everybody can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also thought that, but apparently it's not quite true. What's available is the source from the CM Scout, while Nygreen has given Genie the source from his FM Scout for FM05. And considering the apparent difficulties going from '07 to '08, it's a very different animal.

That said, the fact remains that there *is* source code for a scout available, and anyone who wishes can take it and use it as the basis for a scout of their own.

hmm, which way to think:

Rationally: Fair call to Genie. he does it out of his own spare time, doesn’t get paid & get abused to his hard work. i cant program, so i should be thankful to him for doing this for me.

Irrationally: Screw genie! Puts out a release date then doesn’t even follow up on it. Doesn’t deny rumors that he’s planning to charge for it, Has a winge about his personal life, to busy with water polo, lifes hard, whah whah whah.

Hey Genie, how about you drink a big cup of harden the **** up!!

Few..I know its wrong, but dam the later one felt good ïŠ

ok genie fan boys, let the flamming begin!

Best,

Tried it last night, it didn't work for me. I guess it can depend on what kind of error message you're getting when loading a save.

If you're getting a message of human non-player data seems to be corrupt or something similar then it would make sense for this solution to work. I also tried holidaying the game forward for two months, still get the message of player data seems to be corrupt.

It is the same old crap. Genie must put some public beta on his site. It's getting frustrating to wait 1 month for a tool that should be on the site at this time.

I don't know what are the issues that stops the program, but i do know for sure that we should have some news regarding developing the scout from him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BogdanH:

It is the same old crap. Genie must put some public beta on his site. It's getting frustrating to wait 1 month for a tool that should be on the site at this time.

I don't know what are the issues that stops the program, but i do know for sure that we should have some news regarding developing the scout from him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would agree. If he needs help then please ask. There is enough of us that use the program.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BogdanH:

I don't know what are the issues that stops the program, but i do know for sure that we should have some news regarding developing the scout from him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It amazes me who some people think they are!

He's making it out of his own time for god's sake! Its not like its SI games making the damned thing.

Shut up and be patient you inconsiderate little geek!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sirflugg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Plumble:

I had this running fine earlier, using it during pre-season. I now try to open it for some scouting during January and it doesn't open. I get this error message:

errornz8.th.png]Error[/url] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same error. try to sve the game whit a different name and open the new save in scout. works for me.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get the same error but couldn't fix it how you said. This how been working fine until my 2nd season when suddenly I get this error. Please help me fix it someone?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by polkij:

FM GENIE SCOUT 2008 Beta

Download free

http://rapidshare.com/files/74040825/fm_genie_scout_2008_limited_beta_2.zip </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this an "official" Beta release or another snatched version ?

Seeing as its a month since it was supposed to be released and about two weeks since the beta was released, and he has not said anything, im guessing Genie has failed. I know he does it for free and everything, and hes a legend for creating such a program, but just a word on whats happening would be appreciated.

urgh mines now giving me that same message. never mind, was brilliant while it lasted.

with regard to the real one coming out, and at the risk of prolonging another spackfest of a genie thread, i'm a bit suprised there's been no word at all from genie in over a month, considering how very close to being complete it clearly is. i hope he is going to finish it, because its a brilliant tool

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wakers:

It amazes me who some people think they are!

He's making it out of his own time for god's sake! Its not like its SI games making the damned thing.

Shut up and be patient you inconsiderate little geek! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey an, u shut up, and all of you who r taking his side. This is getting really annoying, and if it doesnt come out by New Years, screw him and his program. When a real man gives a sate for releasing, he keeps to the date. If it's a week late, it can be forgiving. But this is over a month now. I know a lot of programming from high school so nobody can contradict me. If a programmer cant finish his program, pass it on to others to finish it, not be selfish and keep it to yourself just to get the credits for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GiG3L:

I know a lot of programming from high school so nobody can contradict me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! So why don't YOU make a scout for us? ah?

Grow up guys, if I were genie, and I read some of the things that are said here about him, I'd stop developing it too, or I'd charge for it. Grow up!

I don't see you bitchin' about the bugs that are in the game, and you PAID for it, so what makes you bitch about something that it's FREE and that is made on someone's spare time?

The nerve on some people...

When a real man gives a sate for releasing, he keeps to the date. If it's a week late, it can be forgiving. But this is over a month now. I know a lot of programming from high school so nobody can contradict me. If a programmer cant finish his program, pass it on to others to finish it, not be selfish and keep it to yourself just to get the credits for it.quote]

I don't normally write in these daft threads - I just read them for a laugh. Can't beat the laugh I got from that comment, really took the prize with that one. You can find links to the code that Genie is basing his work on in here mate. Let us know when you're done, yeah? How long will you need? A day or two?

I'll happily pester you dozens of times each day until you're done if that will help.

Has anybody isolated any reasons for xml to be corrupted (leading to fm genie scout being unable to fully open the save file)?

I have tried a couple of things and the only thing that may do it is note making/saving or giving warnings/fining.

I have a (good) save file where the only unread message I have is of a player not turning up to training. I give him a warning and I save his reaction in my notebook. I save the game. This new save game has that error.

The error has come up several times but I do not recall any particularly reasons for it to go wrong on the other occassions (I wasn't paying attention).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You can find links to the code that Genie is basing his work on in here mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can u plze post them in here, cuz I can't find em. No time to read all, but I'm a .net coder. Wanna have a look into them. thx

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FunnyBunny:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You can find links to the code that Genie is basing his work on in here mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can u plze post them in here, cuz I can't find em. No time to read all, but I'm a .net coder. Wanna have a look into them. thx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can find the source for CM Scout at Nygreen's site, www.nygreen.net

LOL, there's people asking for FM Scout 08 over there too... nevermind that Nygreen's last solo project was FM Scout for FM 2005. icon_smile.gif

(And there's quite a few "gimmie FM Scout 07" threads too... guess some things never change. icon_razz.gif )

I've heard that Genie eats babies. This is not a rumour, it's true even though I don't know this myself someone told me so!

Genie Scout will cost £15 per licence, and will only work on one machine. So you can't install it on multiple machines unless you buy multiple copies!

Fella's, let's save the outrage until there's something to actually base it on. So until he releases the program and forces people to purchase it, or until he eats a baby, let's not rant about like idiots icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wugster:

Just been on FM Ukraine - Genie thinks he won't have it finished until February </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

February !?!?!

It'll be time for another patch & data update by then...so just as he's about to release it, we'll have to wait even further while he re-jigs it for the new code .... dismal icon_frown.gif

It's actually worse than finished by February. He says he is not sure that he'll have time (to work on FM Genie Scout) until February.

He has some university credit week thing now and then holidays and then uni session I suppose.

So, if I understand it correctly, he is saying he doesn't have the time to work on FM Genie even during his uni holidays.

At least for myself, the beta works (perhaps for now). As stated by others, deleting all human managers (or perhaps just certain ones) solves the issue. I have probably isolated the corruption of xml data to the act of note making. My games have loaded perfectly for over 6 months (game time) ever since I stopped making in-game notes. This is not the direct reason of my suspicion of note-making corrupting the xml data to make it unable to load (Read my above last post for a little bit more detail).

Fortunately, I do not have any other errors so I cannot help with those.

I think the problem is that this may be the first time Genie has to figure out a save game format from scratch. I dont know what source code he obtained from Nygreen but he did have a beta scout 2007 which was never released and so maybe Genie obtained that code from him and so then this would be the first time he has to figure it out for a whole new game.

Anyway I am in 2010 now and finally got the error. Havent had any at all until now and the retiring human player thing doesn't work.

The problem does seem tied to notes. Just got the error myself and I did as a matter of fact recently make my first notes in the game.

Deleting the notes and saving again seemed to fix it though. No more error.

Well the error seems to have to do with "HumanNonPlayer" which must be ones own manager. Retiring your manager would mean that you automatically remove the notes for that manager too which would explain why that helps. Then again, maybe notes isn't the only problem. It did work for me though. Then again, it could just have been a coincidence that it worked after I removed the notes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Well I have never ever used notes in any CM/FM game so it cant be to do with that. I think it is to do with the human manager but for me the retiring of human manager doesn't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I can't help with that error of your's.

If the error comes out when "Loading People", it is a Human Non Player error and the game works again after retiring the human manager in question, then it probably is the notes that are causing the error, so don't make anymore in-game notes. I dislike that, but I would rather use custom notes than having to go without FM Genie Scout (at least for this current game).

It is getting a bit ridiculous now. I am sure everyone here understands the pressures on 'Genie's' schedule.

But this is a community, last I checked. At a certain point, a programmer should decide that they can't or won't finish their project - that they made free for the community - and get help or release the code.

It isn't so much that it is taking a long time, but it's the fact that it is locked to one fellow's real life schedule. We went through the same issues when Michael Nygreen stopped developing Scout and went to work to SI. Eventually, he reached across with the code and we moved on.

I think it's that time again.

I agree. He doesnt have to and he probably wont want to but since he doesnt have the time it would be good of him to give the source code to someone who does have the time. In all fairness he did get the code from Nygreen originally. Does anyone know what licence Nygreen released is source code under? If it was GPL then Genie is obliged to release his program under GPL and thus make his program open source as well, But I dont think there is any licence on the source code from Nygreen.

guys please give genie a break, he'll finish when he finishes it, by trying to force him to do something all you're risking is him refusing to do anything for us which he does for FREE, he'll release when he can, and consider also that he wants to release a great program, not something that can't barely be used

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by yosniel8:

guys please give genie a break, he'll finish when he finishes it, by trying to force him to do something all you're risking is him refusing to do anything for us which he does for FREE, he'll release when he can, and consider also that he wants to release a great program, not something that can't barely be used </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, are we held hostage here? This is a community. He got the code from someone, yes? It is perfectly reasonable to expect him to do the same if he is unable to continue the project.

I don't program. However, I did pose this whole Genie situation to people who program for a living, who do exactly what Eugene is doing in the sense of providing the community with a product. And they agreed with me.

I guess people can think what they want but in the end it is up to genie.

Anyway, I found another thing that seem to lead to the error. Having games scheduled to attend. Maybe this could be the reason you are getting the error DS? Simply removing attend on the game and saving again solved it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone know if there is there any other tool that can show positional ratings? That without doubt was the best function of Genie. If not no worries. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah same, everyone says its about CA and PA when really its about positional ratings, this year though ive used this as a search function on the game and has proved sueful, try it:

http://cmfrenzy.com/football_manager_2007/fm_2007_guide...ositional_guide.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sd6310a:

Again, are we held hostage here? This is a community. He got the code from someone, yes? It is perfectly reasonable to expect him to do the same if he is unable to continue the project. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not necessarily. The product hasn't been developed using a community model so I don't understand this expectation whatsoever.

He obtained the source code as anyone could have done and developed a very popular tool. It's entirely his own prerogative what he does with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sd6310a:I don't program. However, I did pose this whole Genie situation to people who program for a living, who do exactly what Eugene is doing in the sense of providing the community with a product. And they agreed with me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Umm... good for them?

Archived