Genie Scout Beta

SJJ01

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucky DJB:

OK, thanks for that, all cool...

Just an idea, I'm constantly saving my games and reloading them into genie, could that have anything to do with it? I'm thinking that maybe because there isn't a lot of new information with every new savegame, maybe there isn't a lot to go wrong every time.

Remember that I have already encountered an error early on with my current game, where I got an error after about 5 months gametime, so I backtracked and continued, and I'm still ok with it...

My setup isn't anything special - Laptop, 2x1.6gHz, 2GiB RAM, is your setup a lot different?

As I speak, I've just taken over Portsmouth in my game, re-saved it under *another* new name (Lechie, in case you're interested lol!) and it is now 316MB...

I'm using Vista x64 if you think that may have something to do with it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah,just wondering how this phenomenon happened icon_biggrin.gif

I gues that technical side isn't important,i guess that that error tells everything icon_smile.gif)

Just have to wait for full beta patiently icon_razz.gif

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tobinho

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucky DJB:

I've got Nikita (Khrushchev/Khrushchyov), Lolita (from the novel by Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov); Pasha (from Pavel Petrovich/Paul I of Russia) and Ceauseie (from Nicolae CeauÅŸescu).

-- Lucky </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting theme, but why would anyone name anything after a complete bastard like CeauÅŸescu?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tobinho:

I've got Nikita (Khrushchev/Khrushchyov), Lolita (from the novel by Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov); Pasha (from Pavel Petrovich/Paul I of Russia) and Ceauseie (from Nicolae CeauÅŸescu).

-- Lucky </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting theme, but why would anyone name anything after a complete bastard like CeauÅŸescu? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We only just got the 2 kittens a week ago, and I was under pressure to prove what a smart @r$e I was and come up with two further names - Pasha was easy, but I was genuinely stuck for a name for a kitten, given the above tenets...! Anyway, the name is quite cool, even if the president/dictator was less so!

bad news i have heard that genie is intending to keep the scout to himself and use it for a fee paying consultancy service. basically you will have to send your save file to him, and then you will have to pay to be sent information about new wonderkids etc. if the idea is successful he is going to get his "test team" to work for him.

its very anoying, but he seems to have come across a way of making money out of this thing. Unfortunately i cant see it being illegal.

I for one will be boycotting it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger Hauteville:

bad news i have heard that genie is intending to keep the scout to himself and use it for a fee paying consultancy service. basically you will have to send your save file to him, and then you will have to pay to be sent information about new wonderkids etc. if the idea is successful he is going to get his "test team" to work for him.

its very anoying, but he seems to have come across a way of making money out of this thing. Unfortunately i cant see it being illegal.

I for one will be boycotting it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rubbish.If he want to do that he would have done it in the 07 edition man.Unbelieveable!

Hauteville, what's the point in perpetuating absolute tosh like that? It no way is it true or else there'd be no need in Genie implementing certain features to make it so universal and user-friendly. I just don't understand what you've gained by making a nonsensical statement like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roger Hauteville:

only fools would pay for that, miniscout can also search players with high PA and it's free.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeathSpawn:

only fools would pay for that, miniscout can also search players with high PA and it's free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its true, why doesnt this surprise me?! Actually, i thought he might do something like this when he introduced the ad banners at the top of oh his fm07 version.

While you cant blame the guy one trying to make a buck, i think its bad form if it turns out to be true.

And seriously, who does he expect will pay for it when you can get the info for free anyway!? And, to make it worse, your supposed to send him your saved game!? Screw that. If i pay for something, i want the full program.

Looks like he's trying to do it that way to stop file sharing.

All in all, this geneie guy is starting to sound more & more like a tool every month.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike007:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeathSpawn:

only fools would pay for that, miniscout can also search players with high PA and it's free. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If its true, why doesnt this surprise me?! Actually, i thought he might do something like this when he introduced the ad banners at the top of oh his fm07 version.

While you cant blame the guy one trying to make a buck, i think its bad form if it turns out to be true.

And seriously, who does he expect will pay for it when you can get the info for free anyway!? And, to make it worse, your supposed to send him your saved game!? Screw that. If i pay for something, i want the full program.

All in all, this geneie guy is starting to sound more & more like a tool every month. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IF it is true. And if it's not? Then you are a tool for making wild assumptions based on rumour.

What a load of Balls, we arent all as stupid as you on here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Atytse:

Mac version possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope, no Mac version. Go over to www.macfm.net if you want to have a look at the work that's going into a Mac editing and scouting tool.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Poyns:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike007:

All in all, this geneie guy is starting to sound more & more like a tool every month. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IF it is true. And if it's not? Then you are a tool for making wild assumptions based on rumour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah fair enough, i may have over-reached with that post, but when i read the rumour, it didnt surprise me at all if it turned out to be true.

& im sure Mr Genie is really a nice guys, good to his mother, calls his grandmather etc. but if this is true...ill just leave it here for now.

lol worst business idea ever...

no-one would be stupid enough to alienate their fan base and go bankrupt in one fell swoop... he'd make more from donations from faithful fans...

genie has been working hard on this tool for years... and the fact people are moaning about it just goes to show how much of a professional piece of programming and front end design that genie scout is....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Plumble:

I had this running fine earlier, using it during pre-season. I now try to open it for some scouting during January and it doesn't open. I get this error message:

errornz8.th.png]Error[/url] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same error. try to sve the game whit a different name and open the new save in scout. works for me..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Smiler:

What a load of Balls, we arent all as stupid as you on here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Icant believe you are still in denial. how many weeks has it been since the genie scout was supposed to be released? just face it there is never going to be a free genie scout product. he is just letting demand build before he starts charging money for it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by welshace:

no-one would be stupid enough to alienate their fan base and go bankrupt in one fell swoop... he'd make more from donations from faithful fans...

genie has been working hard on this tool for years... and the fact people are moaning about it just goes to show how much of a professional piece of programming and front end design that genie scout is.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has only ever made a pittance from donations. have you ever donated? very few people do.

*attention! this post was made assuming that the pay2use rumors regarding genie scout are true.

loool

Paying for Genie Scout??? That as got to be the funniest idea i've heard in a really long time.

MiniScout + ingame scouts are good enough for me.

Screw genie really hard and long...

If he doesn't make enough from donations, then maybe he should just find another thing to do! Stop wasting time with genie scout and stop trying to make a profit from a user base that sigames created with their own game! That's way too low...

I think sigames should do something about this, again, if it's true.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by welshace:

genie has been working hard on this tool for years... and the fact people are moaning about it just goes to show how much of a professional piece of programming and front end design that genie scout is.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he has only ever made a pittance from donations. have you ever donated? very few people do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah but i'll bet a fair few people have clicked the banners at the top of genie scout 2007. You guys can't seriously believe he's doing this all out of the goodness of his heart do you?

Don't get me wrong, the fact he's still doing it after the amount of abuse put his way is admirable, I'd have stopped long ago, but there is no chance he's doing it for nothing.

I got the idea he would charge for certain parts of the program. Like, seeing how the stats will end up if the player reaches his PA. Or maybe, you can only search using 5 parameters unless you pay for the option to use more. Probably not great examples but you get my drift. He keeps basic program free but charges for certain features.

Icant believe you are still in denial. how many weeks has it been since the genie scout was supposed to be released? just face it there is never going to be a free genie scout product. he is just letting demand build before he starts charging money for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What demand? If he was holding it back to build demand, he'd have released it a couple of weeks ago. There's little demand now that MiniScout does the scouting, and if Genie releases it now and demands money for it I'm fairly sure only a few people would actually buy it.

The beta version shows that it's nowhere near ready for release, and earlier predictions have been way too premature.

I wouldn't be surprised if he released it as shareware, though. God knows it wouldn't be the first third-party game helper program to be released as shareware... but again, now that there's more than valid alternatives, I wouldn't really care.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sirflugg:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Plumble:

I had this running fine earlier, using it during pre-season. I now try to open it for some scouting during January and it doesn't open. I get this error message:

errornz8.th.png]Error[/url] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the same error. try to sve the game whit a different name and open the new save in scout. works for me.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't work for me though...Tried resaving with a new name within the game, as well as renaming the file via Explorer, but no luck either way

Occasionally I have the same error while loading a saved game. I read on FM Genie forum, someone who overcome the problem, and even if I didn't believe him, I tried and it worked.

The solution is this one:

When you get the error, go on FM, change the page you are looking at and save the game again.

I mean, if you were looking at your team, go to another page with less information on it, if it doesn't work, change page again and save.

At the end you will find a place where Genie Scout can load the game from.

It seems silly, but I don't know why it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riza:

I very much doubt that he would make people pay for the program.

He'd lose a ton of interest from FM players, not to mention the fan base. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well , he did lose the interest from those players and fans already.

I wonder if there are still someone out there waiting for the genie scout to come out..

He messed it already...

You guys are children. He's been making Scout for like 10 years now. Suddenly he's going to charge you? Who the hell comes up with these rumours? The guy does this on his own accord on his own time with his own sweat and hard work.

Who the hell are you to be even discussing him? The dude is a saint for what he gave us for FREE. You morons that are screaming boycott and calling him names are supremely ridiculous. This is a free product that's non-essential to the game. For you to be whining over it is unbelieveable.

No one owes you a Genie Scout. Even if he did want to charge for it, who the hell are you to discuss the merits of that? Business is unforgiving. If you find the price too high, don't buy it. If you need it so bad then you'll pay anything for it. Getting ****y over something like this has me agape. I can't believe the utter morons that peruse these forums.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck Diesel:

You guys are children. He's been making Scout for like 10 years now. Suddenly he's going to charge you? Who the hell comes up with these rumours? The guy does this on his own accord on his own time with his own sweat and hard work.

Who the hell are you to be even discussing him? The dude is a saint for what he gave us for FREE. You morons that are screaming boycott and calling him names are supremely ridiculous. This is a free product that's non-essential to the game. For you to be whining over it is unbelieveable.

No one owes you a Genie Scout. Even if he did want to charge for it, who the hell are you to discuss the merits of that? Business is unforgiving. If you find the price too high, don't buy it. If you need it so bad then you'll pay anything for it. Getting ****y over something like this has me agape. I can't believe the utter morons that peruse these forums. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gnie has only been making scout for 2 years.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

Gnie has only been making scout for 2 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you're not counting this year because he's been an absolute joke. I used to swear by Genie and before him Nygreen, but this fiasco has made me switch to a different program and most of the time not using one at all. I understand he probably has a life and does other things, but the negative reactions to missing self-stated deadlines, a lack of communication between himself and his "customers", and a general lack of effort/care towards the community has left a pretty bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths. He's lucky he's not doing this for profit (which he is judging by the ads) because he's losing business and credibility fast. The project was stated in the end of October and here it is the middle of December and still next to nothing. And keeping the source code for yourself because of an "outside project" is just being selfish. Pass on the torch, Genie, and let the community thrive. You're ruining an amazing tool. I, for one, will be boycotting the version if/when it ever comes out. Good luck to the rest of you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoGauchos:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

I hope you're not counting this year because he's been an absolute joke. I used to swear by Genie and before him Nygreen, but this fiasco has made me switch to a different program and most of the time not using one at all. I understand he probably has a life and does other things, but the negative reactions to missing self-stated deadlines, a lack of communication between himself and his "customers", and a general lack of effort/care towards the community has left a pretty bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths. He's lucky he's not doing this for profit (which he is judging by the ads) because he's losing business and credibility fast. The project was stated in the end of October and here it is the middle of December and still next to nothing. And keeping the source code for yourself because of an "outside project" is just being selfish. Pass on the torch, Genie, and let the community thrive. You're ruining an amazing tool. I, for one, will be boycotting the version if/when it ever comes out. Good luck to the rest of you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a load of bloody rubbish.

It's done by a guy in his spare time, for his own interest no doubt, it's done for free (no charges have been levied yet) and it's a completely unofficial program.

All that means that he can do or not, at whatever time he likes, and if you stupid people don't understand any of that your morons.

As for the pathetic comment about boycotting the program, entirely your own choice I imagine. Sort of like suggesting that if your woman says no to sex, you will always refuse her in the future..........yeah right.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoGauchos:

I hope you're not counting this year because he's been an absolute joke. I used to swear by Genie and before him Nygreen, but this fiasco has made me switch to a different program and most of the time not using one at all. I understand he probably has a life and does other things, but the negative reactions to missing self-stated deadlines, a lack of communication between himself and his "customers", and a general lack of effort/care towards the community has left a pretty bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths. He's lucky he's not doing this for profit (which he is judging by the ads) because he's losing business and credibility fast. The project was stated in the end of October and here it is the middle of December and still next to nothing. And keeping the source code for yourself because of an "outside project" is just being selfish. Pass on the torch, Genie, and let the community thrive. You're ruining an amazing tool. I, for one, will be boycotting the version if/when it ever comes out. Good luck to the rest of you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you also boycott this forum as well and do us all a favour

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red_mice:

I downloaded it, using a link I found in this forum, and it works per-fect-ly. Couldn't be more delighted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give it time..... it'll stop working at some point !!

Mine completely refuses to load my savegame any more - I've been having to use the somewhat limited search facilities within MiniScout - just doesn't compare

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by entigy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red_mice:

I downloaded it, using a link I found in this forum, and it works per-fect-ly. Couldn't be more delighted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine completely refuses to load my savegame any more - I've been having to use the somewhat limited search facilities within MiniScout - just doesn't compare

icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also I tried to e-mail Genie with a screenshot of the error and the dump file but the e-mail address is unrecognised...

icon13.gif

I have 5 savegames that I save in rotation. When one doesn't load on genie I go back to the previous one and continue from there. Some times as you progress in the game a data will get corrupted and genie won't accept it. Go back, continue, save again and genie works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by entigy:

icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine did stop but i have been saving it on the game status screen and it seems to be working again, weather it has anything to do with this i dont know

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ranson52:

What a load of bloody rubbish.

It's done by a guy in his spare time, for his own interest no doubt, it's done for free (no charges have been levied yet) and it's a completely unofficial program.

All that means that he can do or not, at whatever time he likes, and if you stupid people don't understand any of that your morons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, you're absolutely correct, he has absolutely no commitment to put out a product, and shouldn't feel like he has to. However, if he was going to put out a product, like I imagine he is since he has the semi-working beta, he should do it in a semi-professional manner. The lack of communication and delays makes this venture seem uninspired. People are complaining left and right, and they're starting to have a right to. Missing deadlines by a few days once in a while happens to everyone, but when you miss by a whole month, it makes you look ridiculous. Genie hasn't done much with the program besides add pretty pictures to Nygreen's program and edit the code to load every year. IMO, he's hogging the code he got and is stifling its progress. Like I said before, I won't be endorsing this shoddy effort in hopes that he'll change in the future. There is no doubt that this is the best program and I hope to see someone (if he releases the code, which he should) carry it on next year.

First off, you're absolutely correct, he has absolutely no commitment to put out a product, and shouldn't feel like he has to.

Correct.

However, if he was going to put out a product, like I imagine he is since he has the semi-working beta, he should do it in a semi-professional manner.

Why should he? It is his choice how he goes about things.

The lack of communication and delays makes this venture seem uninspired. People are complaining left and right, and they're starting to have a right to.

The "lack of communication" could be due to him working on the project (to shut up the muppets) or having something better to do. Like sleeping or clipping his nails.

No-one has a right to complain about this product. It is written by one man, in his own time and put up for free for anyone who wants to download it. I am failing to see how anyone feels that this guy owes them anything, legally or morally.

Missing deadlines by a few days once in a while happens to everyone, but when you miss by a whole month, it makes you look ridiculous.

He didn't give a deadline. He said that barring any mishaps it would be done by a certain date. There was a problem so it was delayed. I can't see anything that makes him look ridiculous.

The problem wasn't solved in time and has taken longer than expected. To re-use an old phrase "it'll be out when it's ready".

Genie hasn't done much with the program besides add pretty pictures to Nygreen's program and edit the code to load every year.

The savegame/database structure changes each year (and in the patches) so the program will have to be re-written to cope with that. When the savegame/database structure changes, the code that accesses and uses that database (to display the info) needs to be re-written. Due to the nature of the program, that is the majority of the program code that needs to be re-written to cope.

Add to this, the fact, that the savegame structure has to be "mapped out" and isn't readily available, that is a lot of work.

So basically to "edit the code to load every year" it is a re-write of the majority of the inner workings of the program.

IMO, he's hogging the code he got and is stifling its progress. Like I said before, I won't be endorsing this shoddy effort in hopes that he'll change in the future.

He's protecting his interests. I see nothing wrong in that. Besides which, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing their own.

I believe you underestimate the work involved in this project and overestimate the intelligence of the average moron who reckon they would "give it a go" whilst having no programming knowledge or experience.

There is no doubt that this is the best program and I hope to see someone (if he releases the code, which he should) carry it on next year.

He has no obligation to "pass on the code" at all.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took the liberty of breaking your post into seperate paragraphs as it is a lot easier to read that way. icon_razz.gif

I think I found the way to use the current FM08 Scout Beta...

Whenever FM Scout stops working in your savegame, retire all the human managers and save the game (under some different name). Now open fm scout and voila! It should work.

I've tried this thus far in 3 different save games where fm scout was no longer working and it worked everytime. I don't have anymore any savegame that was started without the patch, so I don't know if it would work under those conditions.

Please test and see if it also works for you.

If this really works, i hope it will help genie finish the FM Scout.

Best,

Lance

Archived