Critique of FM08 transfer mechanism - will it ever change?

This season I needed to make some improvements to my team to challenge for the title

So I just use FMM to expire the player's contract and add a realsitic amount of cash to my bank balance.

Whichever club picks him up, I reduce their bank balance by the same amount.

I only use this as a last resort after trying to use the transfer system. Not suprisingly, I had to do this with 5 of the 7 (decent) players I wanted to get rid of.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely right Ched.

You've just said what I was way too lazy to type out. I especially find it irritating that clubs who are after my star player ignore my specific instructions on how much I would want for him.

Come the end of a transfer window, the game becomes a chore because of the incessant bids from teams who ignore my instructions.

A decent post i came across in another thread, pretty much sums up a lot of what's wrong.

Originally posted by exacerbating:

I had a quick look after reading this and everything seems a bit wrong.

August 2009

Navas - Sevilla to Real Madrid 33.5m

Antonio Nocerino Bayern to Lazio 32m

Raul Garcia Athletico Madrid to AC 31m

Aaron Lennon Tottenham to Juve 30.5m

Mathieu Bodmer Lyon to Sevilla 23m

I know it is possible, but August 2009 is only 1 and a half years away and out of those massive transfers I only recognise two as very good players - Lennon and Navas. As far as I'm concerned Lennon will never be good enough for a 30m transfer though.

January 2009

Rossi Villarreal to AC 38m!!!!

Steven Taylor Newcastle to Chelsea 23.5m (?)

August 2008

Silva Valencia to Arsenal 53m

Toulalan Lyon to Madrid 45.5m

Fernando Gago Madrid to AC 31m

Pandev Lazio to Roma 30.5m

Pablo Athletico Madrid to Villarreal 23m

Keissling Leverkusen to Villa 19.75m

January 2008

Adrian Mutu Fiorentina to Chelsea 22.5m

Downing Boro to Pompey 16.5m

Joey Barton Newcastle to Man City 14.25m

These really are ridiculous.

The updated finance system seems to have totally screwed the transfer market for top divison teams - not just the cream, every team has cash to splash. There's been about another 20 10m+ transfers in each transfer window as well. None of them involving Manchester United though!

Here's last two years top 20 transfers in reality:

No. Player's Name Pos From To Fee

1. Arjen Robben (Ned) LW Chelsea (Eng) Real Madrid (Spa) £24.46m

2. Pepe (Bra) DF FC Porto (Por) Real Madrid (Spa) £20.3m

3. Wesley Sneijder (Ned) MF Ajax Amsterdam (Ned) Real Madrid (Spa) £18.28m

4. Owen Hargreaves (Eng) DM Bayern Munchen (Ger) Manchester United (Eng) £17m

5. Franck Ribery (Fra) LW Marseille (Fra) Bayern Munchen (Ger) £16.95m

6. Thierry Henry (Fra) ST Arsenal (Eng) Barcelona (Spa) £16.1m

7. Darren Bent (Eng) ST Charlton Athletic (Eng) Tottenham Hotspur (Eng) £15.5m

8. Alexandre Pato (Bra) ST Internacional (Bra) AC Milan (Ita) £14.82m

9. Diego Forlan (Uru) ST Villarreal (Spa) Atletico Madrid (Spa) £14.16m

10. Fernando Gago (Arg) MF Boca Juniors (Arg) Real Madrid (Spa) £13.72m

11. Gabriel Milito (Arg) CD Real Zaragoza (Spa) Barcelona (Spa) £13.53m

12. Simao Sabrosa (Por) WG Benfica (Por) Atletico Madrid (Spa) £13.39m

13. Ryan Babel (Ned) ST Ajax Amsterdam (Ned) Liverpool (Eng) £11.52m

14. Yakubu (Nig) ST Middlesbrough (Eng) Everton (Eng) £11.25m

15. Anatoliy Tymoschuk (Ukr) CM Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr) Zenit St Petersburg (Rus) £10.23m

16. Neri Alberto Castillo (Mex) LW Olympiacos (Gre) Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr) £10.12m

17. Eric Abidal (Fra) DF Lyon (Fra) Barcelona (Spa) £10.09m

18. Cristian Chivu (Rom) LB AS Roma (Ita) Inter Milan (Ita) £10.07m

19. David Suazo (Hon) ST Cagliari (Ita) Inter Milan (Ita) £9.47m

20. Royston Drenthe (Ned) LWB Feyenoord (Ned) Real Madrid (Spa) £8.82m

1. Andriy Shevchenko (Ukr) ST AC Milan (Ita) Chelsea (Eng) £30m

2. Mahamadou Diarra (Mali) MF Lyon (Fra) Real Madrid (Spa) £17.7m

3. Joaquin Sanchez (Spa) RW Real Betis (Spa) Valencia (Spa) £16.87m

4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Swe) ST Juventus (Ita) Inter Milan (Ita) £16.75m

5. John Obi Mikel (Nig) CM Lyn (Nor) Chelsea (Eng) £16m

6. Michael Carrick (Eng) CM Tottenham Hotspur (Eng) Manchester United (Eng) £14m

7. Sergio Aguero (Arg) ST Independiente (Arg) Atletico Madrid (Spa) £10.96m

8. Dimitar Berbatov (Bul) ST Bayer Leverkusen (Ger) Tottenham Hotspur (Eng) £10.89m

9. Obafemi Martins (Nig) ST Inter Milan (Ita) Newcastle United (Eng) £10.16m

10. Ricardo Oliveira (Bra) ST Real Betis (Spa) AC Milan (Ita) £10.12m

11. Gianluca Zambrotta (Ita) MF Juventus (Ita) Barcelona (Spa) £9.57m

12. Andrew Johnson (Eng) ST Crystal Palace (Eng) Everton (Eng) £8.6m

13. Eidur Gudjohnsen (Ice) ST Chelsea (Eng) Barcelona (Spa) £8.2m

14. Nicolas Anelka (Fra) ST Fenerbahce (Tur) Bolton Wanderers (Eng) £8m

15. Pablo Aimar (Arg) FW Valencia (Spa) Real Zaragoza (Spa) £7.51m

16. Rub Cani (Spa) MF Real Zaragoza (Spa) Villarreal (Spa) £7.43m

17. Dean Ashton (Eng) ST Norwich City (Eng) West Ham United (Eng) £7m

18. Daniel van Buyten (Bel) CD Hamburger SV (Ger) Bayern Munchen (Ger) £6.88m

19. Fatih Tekke (Tur) ST Trabzonspor (Tur) Zenit St Petersburg (Rus) £6.84m

20. Jermaine Pennant (Eng) RW Birmingham City (Eng) Liverpool (Eng) £6.7m

Remember they're for over the year, not for a single transfer window like the ones in the game.

now that ive had a chance to get deeper into the game (playing for 3-4 seasons), these issues have been some of the more frustrating ones to deal with. especially irritating, like many have said, is one's inability to offload decent players. usually, the players that arent figuring in my plans anymore end up rotting in the reserves since no one wants to pick them up, even for 10% of their value. im then forced to sit on them until their contract expires, as im loathe to release them and have to eat a large contract. im at a point where im ready to accept a $25k transfer for a player valued at $1 mil just to get him off my payroll.

if youre playing a club without good financial resources, this essentially deprives you of important income to buy new talent.

and on the flip, also as many have pointed out, you have to pay through the nose to get new talent in. or even when just the AI is involved making its own deals. in one of my games, arsenal paid $101 mil (USD) for silva. c'mon now! im not at my laptop rite now, id be able to provide a few more dubious examples.

kinda disappointing that such an integral part of the game (transfers, player valuation, even how the AI approaches human teams for deals) is so ********.

Originally posted by Ched:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Reider84:

I completley agree with the offloading of players, why do clubs not want to buy players off for you or even simply take them off your hands for free especially when they are better than they have in their current squad.

Anyone recognise this scenario?

Your a succesful premiership team, and you've outgrown a certain player, he's not bad and you still play him sometimes but could do with some extra funds so a decent amount for him would be a good bit of business for you.

Lets give an example of someone like James McFadden (Probably a bad example now as I've never personally tried to sell him but you'll get the idea.)

It's a few years in and he's not quite good enough for your Everton side anymore as a first teamer, still 27 or though so plenty of years in him.

1. - Transfer list him, make him not needed and put him in the reserves (Because you know there's no chance of selling him otherwise!!)

2. He's worth 5 million so you think if I can get 2.5 it's not bad business. First of all thought just in case you offer him for 4 million.

3. No interest, lets go with 2.5

4. Still no interest, okay well I guess 1.5 wouldn't be too bad.

5. Nobody wants him for 1.5??? Well I guess half a million will help with the transfer funds.

6. What?? Nobody wants James McFadded for half a million? Not even Championship clubs?? Okay this is just annoying me now so lets just get him off the wage bill. I'll offer him for free

7. No thanks!! So nobody wants him for free, by now your annoyed and just want to get rid of the player that ten minutes ago was a half decent backup member of your squad. Offer him mututal termination

8. Nope I won't be forced out of the club boss, okay fine release you on a free.

9. See you later boss, thanks for the £400,000 in advanced wages

10. So a player you were not even overally keen to sell you've just ended up giving away and spending money to do it!

11. He signs for Middlesborough on a free and is worth 4 million or so and is there best player straight into the first team.

12. Alrighty then!!

This post pretty much somes up all that is wrong with the transfer system. Can anyone from SI claim this to be realistic???

It's disappointing that SI feel it is acceptable to include clear faults like this in the game, they can't possibly claim they were unaware of this, it's been like this for years and it becomes apparent the moment you start ANY game.

If the SI testers do want a perfect example of this - start a new game as chelsea, and try and sell makelele.....i'm not asking for you to make money from his sale, just try and get rid of him. And then feel free to post a reply here about how you can justify leaving the transfer engine in this state! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its been that way since ... god knows how long.

Definately since 07, possibly since CM3.

Post by allah:

"miles you sem to be busy on the forums at the moment closing down threads....

as you are going around closing threads that you consider non-constructive, please will you take the time to read and reply in the "critique of fm08 transfer system" thread.

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/6212083563/p/1

this thread contains constructive criticism and discussion, yet although it has now stretched to 5 pages there is no indication that anone of relevence pays it any attention."

Reply by miles:

"allah - the relevant people to that thread at SI will have been looking at it. Just because we don't comment, doesn't mean we aren't looking, and taking on board useful comments.

As it is, I don't really have time to go in and comment, because I'm too busy closing down the pointless threads that are cluttering up the forum and meaning that the good ones get missed. Just like this one that you've posted."

Well i suppose it's an answer of sorts. But in what way would it hurt them just to post here and say "we're looking into it"???

Obviously i would prefer an answer to WHY it has never been fixed. But they don't appear to want to answer this (ever) so i'd just settle for "we know there's an issue and are looking at it", unless, they know there is an issue and have NO INTENTION of looking at it...as they've done since.....well for ever.

And Miles; "i don't have time" really is a garbage response. It has taken me less than 3 minutes to respond here, i'm sure you feel you are much more important than we are and have less free time (nothing more than an assumption before you get upset), but still....

Well i suppose it's an answer of sorts. But in what way would it hurt them just to post here and say "we're looking into it"???

Obviously i would prefer an answer to WHY it has never been fixed. But they don't appear to want to answer this (ever) so i'd just settle for "we know there's an issue and are looking at it", unless, they know there is an issue and have NO INTENTION of looking at it...as they've done since.....well for ever.

And Miles; "i don't have time" really is a garbage response. It has taken me less than 3 minutes to respond here, i'm sure you feel you are much more important than we are and have less free time (nothing more than an assumption before you get upset), but still....

Ched,

I think that Miles' postings yesterday came across as a little frustrated and not very well considered, but what did come across to me was that he does care about it - something demonstrated by the frustrated emotions shown in his e-mails.

So, when someone makes a posting like this we have to make a decision regardless of how badly it came across to many of us. Is he someone that does listen or not. I believe he does but of course we'll have to wait until FM09 to see if this (and other very constructive threads) is indeed taken on board.

I think the frustration shown in the e-mails from SI and from the customers shows how much everyone cares about the quality of the game and hopefully that will never be lost but I agree that it is a good policy to carefully consider what you are going to write before you do it. We've all made rash remarks or postings at one stage that we wish we had perhaps worded differently. Miles is only human afterall (at least that's the rumour).

There is a sticky thread about the forums and the discussion of proposed changes. I hope that something is done about this very soon so that we can reduce the number of idiots on here and hopefully restore the good partnership. At least everyone agrees that this has been lost but SI and ourselves have to do what we can in the meantime - no excuses.

Another perfect example of whats wrong with the transfers....

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Opposition teams making bids and enquiries for my players is doing my head in. There are just enquiries and bids coming in every single day and it's driving me up the flippin wall.

Just have a look at the number of messages I'm getting.

20th July.

Bid for Collins withdrawn.

Bid for Ciaran withdrawn.

Bid for Tierney withdrawn.

Interest shown in Teggert.

Bid for Colm withdrawn.

Enquiry about Ciaran.

Enquiry about Collins.

Response to Teggert interest.

21st June.

Adams denies wanting out.

Bid for Magill withdrawn.

Enquiry about Magill.

Enquiry about Pedlow.

Enquiry about Magill.

Bid for Craig.

22nd July.

Bid for Curlett withdrawn.

Enquiry about Magill.

Enquiry about Collins.

Interest shown in Billy.

23rd July.

Bid for Doherty withdrawn.

Response to Bill interest.

Enquiry about Ciaran.

Enquiry about Walsh.

24th July.

Enquiry about Walsh.

Teggert reacting to interest.

Is there any way to try and reduce this a little.

The players concerned are all classed as indespensible to the clun, all unavailable for loan and the asking price has been increased by 500% in some cases.

Whatever I am doing isn't working, beacuse the bids, enquiries, and media comments keep come rolling in each day and it is driving me mad icon_mad.gif.

Despite being aware of this thread, I haven't read it as yet but was prompted to have a little look by Ched commenting in another thread about it.

I'm not very well versed on football outside Britain if I'm brutally honest, but I was VERY surprised when I saw the following list.

15. Anatoliy Tymoschuk (Ukr) CM Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr) Zenit St Petersburg (Rus) £10.23m

16. Neri Alberto Castillo (Mex) LW Olympiacos (Gre) Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr) £10.12m

If this list was printed a year ago as being the future top 20 transfers, (in game), then I would have been extremely critical of it for the following reasons.

Darren Bent. He's ok, don't get me wrong. But he's not one of the best 3 strikers at Spurs and how Charlton ever got that much money for him is beyond me. By the way, I'm a Spurs fan snd I think he's a decent player so it's not a personal issue. I would just have laughed if you had told me a year ago that he would have been sold for that much.

Alexandre Pato Never heard of him.

Fernando Gago Never heard of him.

Gabriel Milito Never heard of him.

Zenit St Petersburg (Rus) £10.23m Now I know there is loads of money flying about by clubs that are owned by these Russian Billionaires, but I was VERY surprised to see that amount of money be paid by an ex Soviet Block club. Big money for wages isn't really a surprise, but that sort of transfer fee very much so, (especially to another ex Soviet block club).

Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr) £10.12m Prett much as above. A big surprise to me.

Eric Abidal Never heard of him.

David Suazo Never heard of him.

Royston Drenthe Bever heard of him.

Now these players that I've never heard of, I'm not saying that they are no good or that they are not worth the money, or anything like that. I am purely saying as a watcher of British football and someone who has a passing interest in European football, (no more), I was surprised that I had not heard of 6 of the top 20 players transferred in 2007.

I'm not a great person to ask about the FM08 transfer mechanism because I always play with tiny clubs and to be honest I probably won't spend a penny on players until the game is 10(ish) seasons old.

I'll have a look at the thread over the next week or so though and comment.

Despite being aware of this thread, I haven't read it as yet but was prompted to have a little look by Ched commenting in another thread about it.

I'm not very well versed on football outside Britain if I'm brutally honest, but I was VERY surprised when I saw the following list.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2007

If this list was printed a year ago as being the future top 20 transfers, (in game), then I would have been extremely critical of it for the following reasons.

Darren Bent. He's ok, don't get me wrong. But he's not one of the best 3 strikers at Spurs and how Charlton ever got that much money for him is beyond me. By the way, I'm a Spurs fan snd I think he's a decent player so it's not a personal issue. I would just have laughed if you had told me a year ago that he would have been sold for that much.

Alexandre Pato Never heard of him.

Fernando Gago Never heard of him.

Gabriel Milito Never heard of him.

Zenit St Petersburg (Rus) £10.23m Now I know there is loads of money flying about by clubs that are owned by these Russian Billionaires, but I was VERY surprised to see that amount of money be paid by an ex Soviet Block club. Big money for wages isn't really a surprise, but that sort of transfer fee very much so, (especially to another ex Soviet block club).

Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr) £10.12m Prett much as above. A big surprise to me.

Eric Abidal Never heard of him.

David Suazo Never heard of him.

Royston Drenthe Bever heard of him.

Now these players that I've never heard of, I'm not saying that they are no good or that they are not worth the money, or anything like that. I am purely saying as a watcher of British football and someone who has a passing interest in European football, (no more), I was surprised that I had not heard of 6 of the top 20 players transferred in 2007.

I'm not a great person to ask about the FM08 transfer mechanism because I always play with tiny clubs and to be honest I probably won't spend a penny on players until the game is 10(ish) seasons old.

I'll have a look at the thread over the next week or so though and comment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing you don't watch U21 internationals? I have mucho free time and watch a lot of eurosport, hence a pato, gago and drenthe were quite well covered.

Similarly castillo was spectacular at the last copa.

A fair point though, it must be tricky to nail every transfer market in the world.

I would suspect that jimbo is something of an authority on lower league free kick scoring goal keepers though icon_biggrin.gif

I don't find the buying of players is really that flawed some players seem over-valued but then there's always situations like that IRL (see Darren Bent). The problem on that side is the way the AI SOMETIMES gets the negotiations all backwards.

But this isn't as bad as the issues of selling layers by a long way. Unless you are selling a player that's at the top of his game, it is very hard to move on a player if you are in a team rising up the leagues.

I just released a played in my reserves (now in Prem with Oxford) mutually for £350k as he kept moaning about not being played after he's been on the transfer list for free for a year. As soon as he was released 32 teams are interested in him and he's had two offers from top four Championship teams.

Even if we were outside the free-transfer window (we aren't) they should still see him as a bargain to sign for next season. Yet nobody even showed the littlest interest in him until he had no club. Maybe there should be more players asking for part paid wages (if it's a money thing) or more likely it's just some kind of reputation hole somewhere these players all seem to fall into.

Originally posted by something less annoying:

Just played a bit of CM08...

- Bid £12m for van Nistelrooy

- Real say they want £21m

- I offer £18m

- Deal done

Now that wasn't too difficult, was it?

A pity the rest of the game is a disaster; as they appear to have nailed this bit lol

Originally posted by Negatrev:

I don't find the buying of players is really that flawed some players seem over-valued but then there's always situations like that IRL (see Darren Bent). The problem on that side is the way the AI SOMETIMES gets the negotiations all backwards.

But this isn't as bad as the issues of selling layers by a long way. Unless you are selling a player that's at the top of his game, it is very hard to move on a player if you are in a team rising up the leagues.

I just released a played in my reserves (now in Prem with Oxford) mutually for £350k as he kept moaning about not being played after he's been on the transfer list for free for a year. As soon as he was released 32 teams are interested in him and he's had two offers from top four Championship teams.

Even if we were outside the free-transfer window (we aren't) they should still see him as a bargain to sign for next season. Yet nobody even showed the littlest interest in him until he had no club. Maybe there should be more players asking for part paid wages (if it's a money thing) or more likely it's just some kind of reputation hole somewhere these players all seem to fall into.

This could be due to players rather than managers AI. For example, user was PSV, tried repeatedly to sign makelele from AI chelsea, club accepted £0 bid, but player turned down as "not right move for career" even though the player had spent 2 years in the reserves.

Chelsea released the player 2 months later, and the player accepted a contract with psv for only 10% of the previous wages offered.

I think the way the AI of players considers offers is greatly flawed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Negatrev:

This could be due to players rather than managers AI. For example, user was PSV, tried repeatedly to sign makelele from AI chelsea, club accepted £0 bid, but player turned down as "not right move for career" even though the player had spent 2 years in the reserves.

Chelsea released the player 2 months later, and the player accepted a contract with psv for only 10% of the previous wages offered.

I think the way the AI of players considers offers is greatly flawed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that IS a reasonably realistic scenario IF he asks for part wages paid by old club, instead of refusing to leave. At least clubs are interested in him. The problem is when no club is interested in a free transfer available player until he has no club. Then 32 want him the same day he leaves.

Right, I'm afraid I don't have any answers and in fact I have a few questions......

Let me give you a little background first.

I'm managing in N.Ireland and participating in Gundo's challenge, (so N.Ireland is the only structure running), which means that I am managing a team with a VERY low reputation.

Season 07/08. Holiday season.

Season 08/09. 2nd Division. 8th.

Season 09/10. 2nd Division. 1st. Promoted.

Season 10/11. 1st Division. 5th.

Season 11/12. 1st Division. 2nd.

Season 12/13. 1st Division. 1st. Promoted.

So I'm not exactly setting the World alight, but I'm making good orogress.

I haven't had any moeny for transfers so haven't spent a penny on players, and have been running at a loss every year. During the 12/13 season, the board had to inject about £250k just to keep the debt at a £500k level.

We're a small club punching above our weight so maybe everything seems pretty realistic at the moment. Well I suppose it is but here is where the realism ends.

So it's the end of the 2012/13 season and we have just been promoted to the Premiership. We keep getting neat by "grey" team in Cups so they are not impacting on our reputation to any great degree.

The biggest transfers in the game up to this point, involving any N.Irish club are as follows.

£20k, £22k, £22k, £28k, £22k, £22k, £22k, £28k, £22k, £35k, £28k, £20k, £28k, £45k, £20k.

Now that seems pretty realistic.

So then it starts to get strange. I commented in another thread that I started to receive bid after bid for my players and enquiry after enquiry. It was driving me mad so I tried a few things to shake off the would be buyers.

All of my players we valued between £0 & £2,000 at this stage so I set the asking price at ridiculously high levels of £100,000 (cheapest) & £500,000 (most expensive). I also made the players unavailable for loan. None of the players were transfer listed.

Before the start of the new season, I had received a bid of £250,000 up front for a player valued at £2,000, (that was accepted by muy chairman), and an additional 3 bids for 3 seperate players of the same amount, that he allowed me to turn down.

NOw I haven't really got a problem with the chairman accepting the offer, (I just wish he had accepted one of the other deals instead), but I do have a problem with this amount of money flying around in domestic transfers in N.Ireland.

In the previous 7 seasons, there was only 1 transfer involving N.Irish clubs over £30,000. Now we have 4 cash bids made for 4 different players at a team with a very low reputation.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad of the cash injection, but I feel a little like I've cheated the game somehow without realising it.

Right, I'm afraid I don't have any answers and in fact I have a few questions......

I'm managing in N.Ireland and participating in Gundo's challenge, (so N.Ireland is the only structure running), which means that I am managing a team with a VERY low reputation.

I haven't had any moeny for transfers so haven't spent a penny on players, and have been running at a loss every year. During the 12/13 season, the board had to inject about £250k just to keep the debt at a £500k level.

We're a small club punching above our weight so maybe everything seems pretty realistic at the moment. Well I suppose it is but here is where the realism ends.

So it's the end of the 2012/13 season and we have just been promoted to the Premiership. We keep getting neat by "grey" team in Cups so they are not impacting on our reputation to any great degree.

The biggest transfers in the game up to this point, involving any N.Irish club are as follows.

£20k, £22k, £22k, £28k, £22k, £22k, £22k, £28k, £22k, £35k, £28k, £20k, £28k, £45k, £20k.

So then it starts to get strange. I commented in another thread that I started to receive bid after bid for my players and enquiry after enquiry. It was driving me mad so I tried a few things to shake off the would be buyers.

All of my players we valued between £0 & £2,000 at this stage so I set the asking price at ridiculously high levels of £100,000 (cheapest) & £500,000 (most expensive). I also made the players unavailable for loan. None of the players were transfer listed.

Before the start of the new season, I had received a bid of £250,000 up front for a player valued at £2,000, (that was accepted by muy chairman), and an additional 3 bids for 3 seperate players of the same amount, that he allowed me to turn down.

NOw I haven't really got a problem with the chairman accepting the offer, (I just wish he had accepted one of the other deals instead), but I do have a problem with this amount of money flying around in domestic transfers in N.Ireland.

In the previous 7 seasons, there was only 1 transfer involving N.Irish clubs over £30,000. Now we have 4 cash bids made for 4 different players at a team with a very low reputation.

It just doesn't make sense to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad of the cash injection, but I feel a little like I've cheated the game somehow without realising it.

In the Blue Square Premier all the way up to premiership I didn't have this problem (if that's lucky for me or not, you decide). But I agree, that there should not be such a huge disparity in spending on players you own and those you don't.

At least for now THIS issue won't have half as many people moaning about it icon_wink.gif

On the down side this probably means it will be a low priority issue.

It does make you wonder how the clubs at a similar level to you are able to generate cash so much more effectively, in order to be able to destroy the transfer records by a factor of 10.

A strange one, to which i have no answer. And judging from the responses to this thread, unless ter know the answer we'll never get one icon_frown.gif

Sorry if this has already been said on this thread but I was just wondering about a strange thing that happens with the transfers of players with small release fees.

I am Barca and theres a lad in my youth squad who has the potential to be as good as Ronaldinho and Zaragoza, Villarreal and West Ham are interested in him. He's 16 and worth 375,000. These teams keep offering me small money and high sell on percentages for him and I reject.

But I have only just noticed that his release clause is 1.3 mil which isnt that much for a player of that potential ability and clubs such as those above could easily afford that. Its strange therefore that they would offer me 40-50% sell on fees when they could just get him for the cheap release fee and keep all of the (very likely) lucrative sell on fees when he moves on to a bigger club.

Just wondering if this is something that could be looked into.

Cheers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

Just played a bit of CM08...

- Bid £12m for van Nistelrooy

- Real say they want £21m

- I offer £18m

- Deal done

Now that wasn't too difficult, was it?

A pity the rest of the game is a disaster; as they appear to have nailed this bit lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only played briefly and the interface is horrendous, but there's some pretty good stuff in there. Next year SI may well have some genuine competition.

One problem with the transfer system is that it's not really using any form of AI. It's just setting a value according to a forumula, and that's it. There is no simulation of market forces, no intelligence to decide the value of money vs the value of the player, the amount of cash swimming around the league, etc. If that was done, then transfer markets could adapt to changing conditions a lot easier and it would be one step towards allowing leagues to change reputation etc in a realistic fashion.

I know it's not an extremely scientific input I'm about to offer, but having been a part of the discussion in this thread I thought I would offer just a little bit of hands-on experience from the game I'm just playing (only my second in FM08 due to the problems with the transfer system that have made me almost give up on the game)

I'm playing as Real Madrid (as always - which is a shame in FM08 as the registration bug is as bad as the transfer problems) and after the first season I come across an example which is so typicle of the problems we've discussed.

I'm trying to buy the 21-year-old defender, Zapata, from Udinese. He's valued at 6.75 mio Euro and I started bidding at about just that. I worked my way slowly bidding up to around 25-27 mio and finally they make a counteroffer of...............46.5 mio Euro.

Oooookey - not only would this make the relatively unknown Columbian one of the most expensive players ever to walk on the planet, but it is things like these that make you just laugh at the game and almost give up - how the h... are you ever to be a successfull manager if you can't even get rid of decent players for pocket change while having to pay insane amounts for an average-valued player.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong - after 15 years of playing the game I've perhaps just gotten too old and senile to grasp what's going on...

Sorry if this is a whiner - but I just found that this was a perfect example of what I hate about the way the game has become..

i am throwing my weight behind the issue that prices are ridiculously inflated in football manager, i dont get why i cant sell my players for the ridiculously inflated fees that i have to pay for others. the transfer VALUES look quite accurate and i think most transfer fees should be around what the value is with the exceptions coming for transfers between rivals.

i mean take my search for a goalkeeper for my arsenal side to be competition with manuel almunia for the goalkeeping spot, artur boruc i settled on, due to his high stats, european experience and yet decent value of £3.1m - after offering £5m, then £6.75m, then £7.5m celtic decide they want £14.5m for artur boruc - thats bloody stupid, no way in hell would that happen, he is not the standard to go near justifying most expensive goalkeeper to play in the premiership

if you look at franck ribery, just been bought in the summer (real life) by bayern for a fee around £17m, now in a year's time that value will probably be around £12.5m, which means a fee, which is again not too far from that would be fair. the most i have ever been forced to pay for a player was £70m for David Villa, and after that I vowed never to buy big players again because every big transfer i ever did the player did not go close to setting the league alight, even for the world record fees paid.

another thing which is a great irritance of mine is i reject an enquiry for a player and the same club comes back with another enquiry a week later - do they not get that no means no. why would i change my mind after a week, it wouldnt be so bad but even clicked reject all offers somehow does not apply to an enquiry - what the hell is the point in that?

i mean dont get me wrong i dont like just bitching about how SI dont listen and dont care and the game is rubbish because we all know it really is not the case - but i would rather see instead of attempting a lot of new features that they just get these basics sorted out - now who is with me on that?

The old enquiry thing is almost comical if you think about it. In any other walk of life, these clubs would be charged with harassment. It takes me to think of the many crime films where hoods are forcing small shop owners to sign away their stores so a big company can build a mall. In FM09 are we gonna come to work to see our trophy cabinet smashed? Lime poured on our pitch. Start receiving there new strip in the post with my players name on it?

I think clubs should be limited to one enquiry every transfer window, only allowing an additional enquiry if a players status changes. As with contract expiry you could be informed when a players squad status is changed to only a backup player, or that youngster you've been watching is currently available for loan.

I know a club wouldn't suddenly tell you this in the real world. But in reality any player on you 'shortlist' would have people behind the scenes keeping track of this. But also once you've stated a price wanted for a player, the people 'behind the scenes' would deal with all the enquiries as well, this is not reflected in game.

Originally posted by llama3:

i mean dont get me wrong i dont like just bitching about how SI dont listen and dont care and the game is rubbish because we all know it really is not the case - but i would rather see instead of attempting a lot of new features that they just get these basics sorted out - now who is with me on that?

I started a thread about this some time ago - basically i asked if people wanted FM09 to be a glorified patch, or if they wanted new features - the answer was a general "both" lol

Needless to say the thread dropped like a stone and has not been seen since.

I personally would love it if FM09 was the same game, but with all the problems worked out of transfers, board conf etc etc

Another example of poor AI, but this time from the player.

Trying to sign a player who wants 8k per week for a 2 yr deal, but I can only offer 6k.

BUT I can offer him up to 300k as a signing on fee- so (as Forest) seeing as I have over 3m in the bank I offer him a 300k sweetner, which equates to nearly an extra 100k on top of what he is asking for.

But he still turns it down.

Is the game that dumb that a players "agent" cant take the total value of a contract/deal into consideration?

wow thats pointed out so many things which lead to me knoding in agreement

and i never even noticed these problems!

so good post!

(these porblems arent that major)

all manager games out there have massive massive problems compared to these ones

but in a bid for FM to make this game truly realistic and perfect then this is where they will neeed to act.

BUT FM if for next season you decide to change the thansfer market then PLEASE oh PLEASE dont reck it like LMA MAnager did in 2006

Thanks

Well, woah! this post was a long long read, but absolutely spot on IMO.

I can't say anything new that people haven't already heard but I will just share my experience of having to over pay...

I still find annoying to this day the manner in which the player value is controlled. I recently played as tottenham and purchased downing from middlesbrough. However, unlike the £8 million tag that is touted on skysports/newspapers re: his move to white hart lane IRL - I had to pay £13 million.

Now I understand that sometimes to get some players you may have to pay over the odds - but downing was valued at £6 million. The same happened for K Nolan, rated £6 million - I had to pay £11 million. Why not just value his at £11 million? Why give me a false valuation? Why not ditch the valuation and just go with something on the lines of "club expectation?" rather than a valuation? I couldnt care less how much the guy is worth - I do care however how much I would have to pay...

Originally posted by Wilson123:

Well, woah! this post was a long long read, but absolutely spot on IMO.

I can't say anything new that people haven't already heard but I will just share my experience of having to over pay...

I still find annoying to this day the manner in which the player value is controlled. I recently played as tottenham and purchased downing from middlesbrough. However, unlike the £8 million tag that is touted on skysports/newspapers re: his move to white hart lane IRL - I had to pay £13 million.

Now I understand that sometimes to get some players you may have to pay over the odds - but downing was valued at £6 million. The same happened for K Nolan, rated £6 million - I had to pay £11 million. Why not just value his at £11 million? Why give me a false valuation? Why not ditch the valuation and just go with something on the lines of "club expectation?" rather than a valuation? I couldnt care less how much the guy is worth - I do care however how much I would have to pay...

Yeah, i think SI need to look up the definition of the word "value" in the dictionary lol

Playing in the lower leagues I've noticed another little "annoyance".

I had several players valued at around £12K-£16K, I got several bids for £200K+ for each of them but their value never increased. Even after making sure they had long term contracts the same happened over the next 2-3 seasons, i.e. nothing.

Surely a players value, which I assume to be the price the media expects him to sell for and/or what they expect the selling club to settle for, would increase if several different clubs have indicated that £200K is what they're prepared to pay for him and I've indicated that that's not enough.

Something else I've noticed is how certain values change when you make a bid for a player. We all know that as soon as you make a bid for a player, many of the other teams make bids for this same player, but I am now using this to get the player I want at a reduction.

What I do is make a bid for a player (say Aguero for instance). He has a release clause of £50m or so. For some reason, his club then seems to offer him a new contract to get him to stay BUT they reduce the minimum release clause to £30m !!!!!!!! So I offer this and then I get him.

Certain values within the game are of course flawed but I was wondering if much of this is down to the reputations set by the database when a game starts. Some of the world reputations are just ridiculous for some of these younger players so is this what inflates the price? n FM08 I've not managed to get past 3 or 4 seasons without becoming really frustrated at one thing or another so I don't know if this is also a problem further into the game.

p.s. Glad to see this thread is still going strong icon14.gif

The original post in this thread is spot on.

I am pleased with how the FM series has progressed. I hope the transfer system is the next feature SI progresses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Opposition teams making bids and enquiries for my players is doing my head in. There are just enquiries and bids coming in every single day and it's driving me up the flippin wall.

20th July.

Bid for Colm withdrawn.

Enquiry about Ciaran.

Enquiry about Collins.

21st June.

Enquiry about Magill.

Enquiry about Pedlow.

Enquiry about Magill.

Bid for Craig.

22nd July.

Enquiry about Magill.

Enquiry about Collins.

Interest shown in Billy.

23rd July.

Enquiry about Ciaran.

Enquiry about Walsh.

24th July.

Enquiry about Walsh.

The players concerned are all classed as indespensible to the clun, all unavailable for loan and the asking price has been increased by 500% in some cases.

Whatever I am doing isn't working, beacuse the bids, enquiries, and media comments keep come rolling in each day and it is driving me mad icon_mad.gif.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is SI have improved this area- as you can now reject bids with just a single click, and also (as before) you can just ignore inquiries.

Seeing as in previous versions many complained that it was hard to sell players then you cant really complain as this- as every player has his price.

You cant have it both ways!

Just how hard can it actually be to make teams in the game go out and actively buy players?

Going back to what Ter said a few pages ago:

You should just enjoy playing the game instead of trying to find faults in it (Or words to that effect)

We'd enjoy playing it more if we could actually sell players, because it is truly nigh-on impossible to (as has been said before) GET RID. EVEN A DAMN FINE PLAYER PRICED AT £0!!!

One of the first replies to this thread was T-Bag saying that in 2013 his transfer spending is £250,000,000 yet his total transfer income is a mere £4,100,000.

Not in the slightest bit surprising, yet completely ridiculous.

Originally posted by soundian:

Playing in the lower leagues I've noticed another little "annoyance".

I had several players valued at around £12K-£16K, I got several bids for £200K+ for each of them but their value never increased. Even after making sure they had long term contracts the same happened over the next 2-3 seasons, i.e. nothing.

Surely a players value, which I assume to be the price the media expects him to sell for and/or what they expect the selling club to settle for, would increase if several different clubs have indicated that £200K is what they're prepared to pay for him and I've indicated that that's not enough.

I think this is a perfect example where the "value" stat is no indication of what the player is actually worth.

Someone needs to buy SI a dictionary so they can figure out what "value" really means; because as it stands it is perhaps the most pointless number in the game. All it is, is a monetary representation of the players reputation, nothing more.

Originally posted by George Graham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

20th July.

Bid for Colm withdrawn.

Enquiry about Ciaran.

Enquiry about Collins.

21st June.

Enquiry about Magill.

Enquiry about Pedlow.

Enquiry about Magill.

Bid for Craig.

22nd July.

Enquiry about Magill.

Enquiry about Collins.

Interest shown in Billy.

23rd July.

Enquiry about Ciaran.

Enquiry about Walsh.

24th July.

Enquiry about Walsh.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thing is SI have improved this area- as you can now reject bids with just a single click, and also (as before) you can just ignore inquiries.

Seeing as in previous versions many complained that it was hard to sell players then you cant really complain as this- as every player has his price.

You cant have it both ways! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found that if you just reject a bid out of hand then the same club will simply make the same bid again as they haven't got the message. The fact that my chairman keeps accepting bids on my behalf means that I really want to discourage any sort of bids at all for my players as I seem to have no control over the situation.

I also don't like not responding to enquiries as this seems to encourage the bidding club to make a bid which my Chairman accepts.

As for me wanting it both ways, not sure which 2 ways I want it.

I want realistic bids for my players.

I don't want bids of £1,000 when I have the player valued at £500,000.

If a player is listed as indespensible, I want this to mean something.

Part of the problem is that the "valuation" of the player is pretty worthless in my mind. I have sold players for £1.2M so far this year, (2014/15 while managing in N.Ireland) and I sold players last year for £500,000(ish). Every single player I have sold has gone to another N.Irish club.

Where are they getting the money from to fund these transfer deals?

I don't want it both ways at all.

I want it realistic.

sorry, i havent had time to read through the 5 pages of info, but the thing that really bothers me is the loan system. For example, i'm playing in league 2 in Spain, and i currently have the under-21 Spanish captain in my squad on about £600 a week. He doesnt always get a game so i've been trying to loan him out without success. I even offered to pay 100% of his wages and still nobody is interested.

Thats just wrong.

• SI Staff

I've long given up waiting for someone from SI who has the appropriate knowledge to comment icon_frown.gif

Let's just hope this is at least partially fixed before FM09, otherwise i'll be digging this thread up again lol.

You're not likely to get the reply you are wanting I'm afraid. It's not likely we're going to discuss how the current system works and it's flaws (we know about them) and how and when we're going to tackle them (we will).

It's easy to come up with an all singing all dancing solution but that is all "ideal world" scenario when other things have to be taken into consideration like impact on game speed, whether we have the resources to do it etc.

It's constant posts asking for a response that put us off having a suggestions forum as we can't tell you what we have planned for the future. It would be great to have an open discussion about a lot of this stuff but it's a competetive market and as Miles pointed out elsewhere, there are eyes everywhere. icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Ter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

I've long given up waiting for someone from SI who has the appropriate knowledge to comment icon_frown.gif

Let's just hope this is at least partially fixed before FM09, otherwise i'll be digging this thread up again lol.

You're not likely to get the reply you are wanting I'm afraid. It's not likely we're going to discuss how the current system works and it's flaws (we know about them) and how and when we're going to tackle them (we will).

It's easy to come up with an all singing all dancing solution but that is all "ideal world" scenario when other things have to be taken into consideration like impact on game speed, whether we have the resources to do it etc.

It's constant posts asking for a response that put us off having a suggestions forum as we can't tell you what we have planned for the future. It would be great to have an open discussion about a lot of this stuff but it's a competetive market and as Miles pointed out elsewhere, there are eyes everywhere. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fair enough, i appreciate that most of my moans are directed at producing an "ideal" game, and accept that i don't know how the game would handle such suggestions, and hence do not know whether or not implementing them is practical - just voicing what i'd like to see.

As ever, thanks for the reply.

• SI Staff

That wasn't a criticism by the way. By all means continue to post suggestions and constructive stuff that is an "ideal world" scenario. It sparks healthy debate and is still useful icon_smile.gif

just thought I'd add my 2cents (if you're AI, if you're user controlled it's $2million + 40% sell on clause)

a show of appreciation to those who've mentioned selling players, having to spend more than AI to buy a player and lower teams never wanting to loan in your decent young players.

I'm West Ham, start of second season and I'm trying to get rid of Upson, he played 19 times last season getting an average of 7.11, but no-one will offer £500,000. if he spent the entire time in the reserves not playing then fine, but he's proved he's good enough for a mid table team.

Why is it that AI never negotiate after you've responded to an enquiry.

Everton enquire about Gabbidon (valued at £3.5m) I respond with £4.5m and they declare an end to their interest, IRL they would have tried to negotiate at about £4m

Archived