FM 08: West Ham United - Happy Hammers

westhamrob

Cheers for responding Kenobi.

Tried a few different formations but mostly 4-4-2 Normal then slightly more fensive away from home. It worked really well in o7 but not so in this game. I'll keep Camara cos I have to start again.

Which staff did you change?

Who did you sell?

Did you ask for more money at the start of the game?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long post here;

As the weakest point of West Ham is our defense I would recommend you buy a left back. depending on what you loaded I would buy Kevin Larsen he can play anywhere on the left and was really good on 07. He's good in 08 as well but I think you have to load up Norway to get him.

In addition to this I would recommend you play with a DM to reduce the space in front of your back line - I do this and I find I concede less. So far I have only been successful when either playing fast aggressive football or slow but more conservative aggressive possession football. I would also be mindful of the closing down bug and would say read this:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1519717/m/6372021353

Staff/players:

Although normally I hire a new Ass man, this time round I haven't and just hired coaches as the guy I always hire in 07 wanted more money than I was allowed to offer.

I only sold two players as of now, Quashie and Pantsil, but collins might be going as I don't need him as I bought Kompany.

When asked about money I said that I would give them continental qual. which gives you about 8.5 mil. If you sell Quashie and Pantsil you should have enough to buy a DL and DM.

Any more questions??

Thanks mate really appreciate it but seeing as you've given me the option I'm going to ask one more question. I'm having major problems getting everyone fit, Ashton and Bellamy have only played together twice by Nov. is this because there is only a preset three friendlies??? Cheers

Errm.

Ashton and Bellamy; I always arrange as many friendlies as I can, I use friendlies in two ways:

A) to test new tactics/get used to it

B) to let new singings settle in

Your training schedules might be too intensive; I would recommend you use mikedadude's training schedules; I use them and they very good.

I hired the following coaches:

Claudio Gaudino (1st team)

Vicen Gomez (coach)

Jean-Luc Vasseur (Youth)

Rudi Wojtowicz (scout)

I will be hiring more as I'm weak in shooting and set pieces.

I'll let you know who I've found.

Guest Laffers

Hi all.

Forest fan but wanted to have a saved game in the premiership too.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for contributing to the thread and helping out and getting on well with their team.

Now starting my game so will hopefully be able to add a bit more later icon_smile.gif

Quick question for Chris though. What do you mean by mikedadude's training schedule? Ive done a search on here and cant find anything by him.

Started my second season.

Ins:

Banega 5m

Boulahrouz 4m+ 35% sell on

Piatti 1.7m

Rigione 1.8m

Sergio Motta 12m

outs:

Solano Free

Bowyer Free

Ephraim Free

Walker Free

Dailly Free

Boa Morte 5m to tottenham

just qualified for the champions league with a 1-0 aggregate win over dinamo kiev. not the best of results but it is the best i could manage with bellamy and ashton out.. anyone have any suggestions on a striker that will perhaps work well with either ashton and bellamy when either are out? i could adjust my transfer budget to 10m if need be.

My Team

Green

L.neill. Breno. A.ferninand. Aurelio.

Makoun.

Dyer. Borja valero.

C.cole/Bellamy. D.Ashton. Matias Fernandes.

Won prem & FA cup in first season, Dean ashton scoring 35 goals in the prem alone icon_smile.gif now end of jan in second season, sitting top 2 points clear but man utd got game in hand icon_frown.gif... Really need a right back!! anyone know any class young and fairly cheap right backs??

cheers

Won the premiership in my first season. Ashton's stats are amazing but i use him as a target man and he only managed 14 goals. What he did do was create a lot and because of him Bellamy scored 36.

The man to get is Eddie Johnson. Paid 2.3mill and he scored 16 in 10. Sold him the next season when he asked to leave for 13mill.

Just signed Thiago as a replacement bu he hasnt played yet.....

As for a left back, i signed Babayaro and he did the job but i leaked a hell of a lo of goals. Fortunatley i scored a lot to.

Infact winning the premiership was my all time FM moment as i had to beat Arsenal away on the last game of the season and Bellamy scored in the 87th minute to win it 4-3 for me.

Chris Kenobi: I play with 1 man up front with 2 central attacking midfielders with farrows. I played Ashton as the target man hoping he'd knock the ball down to Bellamy and Dyer but to be honest it didn't work as well as I planned. So I sold Ashton to Arsenal for £8.5M and brought in Vagner Love and a wee young boy from PSV called Zeefuik.

Ideally I'm wanting a strong, tall target man but this will do until I find him.

1st half of the 2nd season is over. now sitting 2nd 5 pts behind chelski to whom i lost 1-0 twice in a row in december. not a bad start to the season though. qualified as group leaders in front of AC milan in champions league and have a league cup semi finals with Aston villa after defeating Man Utd 2-1. And bellamy has scored 23 goals in 24 games. leading the scoring charts by 10 goals.

Guest scarecrow82

Good signing for me is Tamas Priskin from Watford FC. Was under a million and is my leading top goalscorer. All the fans love him so is one of my best signings. Im sending my scouts out for good young players from around the globe and putting them in he reserves and under 18s squad which is working great.

Right, I am gonna start a whole new game with West Ham. Hopefully will help to get this thread moving!

Not too fussed about the low transfer budget as I think I am gonna give everyone a fair chance to prove themselves and then start to offload certain peeps in January and maybe during the summer.

Any ideas that I could look into?

first you need a left back. then i a right back. den a left winger. den a right winger in that order as the game progresses. I would recommend Nicky Shorey and Harry Kewell in your first season. The other departments at west ham seem quite ok and you would do very well if bellamy do not get injured or ****ed with the referee as he is now.. "england referees are victimising him' it seems..

Basic guide

Season 1:

*If you set high bonuses, Bellamy and Spector will basically have high moral all season.

*Sign Ignashevish, his free, he'll be your best defender and everyone will be happen if you make him captain (even though he doesn't speak English). Make a good offer cause heaps of clubs want him.

*If you want more defensive cover, you could sign Davino who is an experienced Mexican centre back for free.

*Sign Piatii for about 500K. He will develop into a wonderkid. The only problem is trying to keep him.

*Sign Aaritalo for about 250K. He is a far better winger than the likes of Boa Morte and Etherington.

*Sign Dzsudzsak for about 250K. Note: Eggy made me sell both Aaritalo and Dzsudzsak respectively for $14.5 million and $8 million respectively. Expects clubs to bid for these players if they have a very good first season and expect to have no say in them leaving.

*I usually sign Matula for around 900K as the club only has one left-back and he has good defensive states although basically all other states are horrible. I also sign Coppola for around $1.5 million as I play with 5 midfielders. On first look, both these players don't have great attributes but when you look close at what counts (e.g. for Coppola as a defensive midfielder, he has great work rate and team work, tackling, stamina while marking and passing are respectable). I found these two to be very consistent performers.

By now, you probably have no money. Depending on how involved you want to get, I'd basically fine all your staff except for Miklosko. You can get cheap replacements (filter each coaching area, like defending, to 19-20) by poaching coaches from lower leagues. You should be about to get most, if not all the training category ratings to a maximum.

Season 2:

*If you had a good season one (top 6 finish), you might find yourself losing some players with Eggy making the decision to sell for you. If this happens, you should have quite a war chest for the second season.

*Now, its just about making incremental improvements in the squad. Unlike the first season, your budget should be a lot bigger and there will be a lot more variety in terms of recommended signings. Here are a few I've signed: Breno ($13m), Hamsik ($6m), Witsel ($3m), Lulinha ($2.5m), Zhirkov ($2m when his contract ended).

*Ruben Castro deserves a special mention. His basically unwanted by his club and you can pick him up for around $3m. Again, on the face of it, he seems a pretty average striker. But he has a free kick of 20, someone the club desperately needs, acceleration and pace combination of 17 and 16, long shot, finishing, composure, dribbling, off the ball and anticipation of 16-17. He has all the attributes of a deadly striker. For me, he has scored 19 in 28 games in the second season and 19 in 16 games so far in the third.

*In terms of the squad you have at the start of the game, the only players that remained for me at the start of the third season are: Bellamy, Faubert, Ferdinand, McCartney, Neil and Green. Everyone else is gone, including Ashton who just didn't fit into my style of play. A lot of players I let go to other clubs for free so I got get them off the wages and divert the budget to transfer (I love this feature of adjusting between wage and budget).

Just one comment on tactics. Please don't have the team playing long ball football like our Curbs!

So thats it, good luck. In the third season, definitely try to sign some decent full backs. Barragan might have a reasonable minimum release clause and Vidal is a good left back although his first touch of 8 and passing of 10 might mean that you need to look else where if you like to play possession football and control the game. In any case, with good coaches and training, McCartney actually improves into a top left back. Ferdinand improves slightly while Noble, unrealistically, goes no where.

I'm forever blowing bubbles,

Pretty bubbles in the air.

They fly so high, nearly reach the sky!

I always play with 2 strikers in a 'quick man' and a 'strong man' partnership. Ashton have been doing well as my Strong man and have done fine when he is injured with Zamora. Same for Bellamy and camara for the quick man position.

4 midfielders. Wingers are my main source of attack. In central midfield, i always pair a defensive midfielder with an attacking midfielder. Central Midfielders such as noble and even parker thus could not actually hold a place in my team. only one that was able to was Michael Johnson in my 3rd season. which secured a place as he forms a deadly partnership with pirlo.

Defenders. that is the real problem at west ham. Left and right backs are definitely not good enough. Neither is upson. brought Boularouz from chelsea in my 2nd season and my defence stabilised abit then.

Dun even bother buying a keeper. In fact, do not bother renewing wright's contract when it runs out, as by then, stech would make a very good back up already.

Originally posted by westhamrob:

ignashevic should be found easily.....

ill be starting a new west ham game soon, im in a really good game with peterborough atm, just won league 2

I found him now lol. Cheers icon14.gif

I strongly advise buying Aaritalo. He is awesome for me and has forced me to sell either Ashton or Bellamy icon_eek.gif Bolton offered £19 million for Ashton so I think he's the one to go.

Originally posted by Cass:

I strongly advise buying Aaritalo. He is awesome for me and has forced me to sell either Ashton or Bellamy icon_eek.gif Bolton offered £19 million for Ashton so I think he's the one to go.

I beg to differ though.. Aaritalo has been rubbish for me.. both as a striker or as a left winger..

Originally posted by diegowong:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cass:

Really? The guy has just smashed 12 goals in for me and has 10 assists in just 22 appearances. I tend to play him in an AM role and a backup striker

I beg to differ though.. Aaritalo has been rubbish for me.. both as a striker or as a left winger.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Originally posted by Linger:

Hello

Erm

I Just Wonderd If You Could Help Me

I Have Recently Bought FM

When You Say Get People On A Free

How Do You Do It

Thanks

Linger

Hello.

Since you are

talking like this