NepentheZ's Tactical Revoloution

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nadessico:

the one problem i've seemed to notice is when the opponent attacks, the 2 CB's seem to just let him run down the middle of them, and only try to tackle right in the box, anyone else had any such issues, or know how to remedy it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Increase their closing down

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dane0 - I have to disagree mate. When i created the tactic my players weren't (and still aren't) amazing. Again, I have to reiterate the fact that you need to adapt your players to the tactic. Even with poor players, this tactic will get the best out of them and make them seem better, when really you are just using a players strengths in the game. For example, If you have a midfielder who you think is poor, but has really good passing and crossing stats, what do you do? I don't know what you do do. But i do know what you don't. You dont play him in midfield. Position train him to a winger, and with those two stats he may (or may not) start getting masses of assists. If you do decide to play him in the center of the park, put his passing slider to very low, but his through balls to "often". If he has poor physical abilities, make sure his closing down slider is "rarely" and have him as a holding midfielder, otherwise he will tire often. There are many many things you can adapt while keeping the basis of the tactic, but thats fully up to you to decide on what to do, and where you would like the tactic to go.

Jezicek - Great news mate. I'm really happy thats it's working well for you.!

markis_mcghee - Good luck, i hope it brings you the success it has me.!

heathxxx - Thanks for the kudos buddy. I never tried this in FM07, and only had success in that version due to a superb team at my disposal, with an averagely made tactic. I found the tactical side of things on 07 less important than 08, and have made sure i got up to knowledge on how to build my own for the 08 version to really get the best out of my team.

Nadessico - It's a shame that it didn't work for you with Everton. I'm sure with a certain few things changed it could have been as potent as it has been with Spurs for you. One thing that jumps out at me with spurs is that they have very good wingers, and thats important. I'm sure for you Lennon has a lot of assists this season? Hope it stays strong for you.

Flyingdutchman - As always, thanks for supporting the tactic, and giving people an extra insight into how to make the tactic benefit them icon14.gif

i'll give that a try tonight Flyingdutchman cheers

i think it may of mainly been a lack of a DM for me, as i had Arteta on the right wing and Fernandez on the left, though the game does seem obsessed with playing down the middle as oftern as it can

Was just reviewing your original post NepentheZ, specifically the creative freedom settings.

I'm discussing this in another thread here. Your settings are pretty much the same as I use with a number of tactics using wingers. I always have wingers set to low creative freedom as I find it helps them do their job of supplying the forwards better - hit the byline, get the ball in quickly to the attacking forwards. icon14.gif

I've noticed that some people are struggling with their amount of goals conceded. With this in mind, they might want to drop creative freedom to between 1 & 5 on the slider, for the players set to "default" creative freedom in the image on your opening post.

I've found that this helps tighten things up considerably.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by heathxxx:

Was just reviewing your original post NepentheZ, specifically the creative freedom settings.

I'm discussing this in another thread here. Your settings are pretty much the same as I use with a number of tactics using wingers. I always have wingers set to low creative freedom as I find it helps them do their job of supplying the forwards better - hit the byline, get the ball in quickly to the attacking forwards. icon14.gif

I've noticed that some people are struggling with their amount of goals conceded. With this in mind, they might want to drop creative freedom to between 1 & 5 on the slider, for the players set to "default" creative freedom in the image on your opening post.

I've found that this helps tighten things up considerably. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not going to argue with you, as the last comment makes perfect sense, icon_biggrin.gif, but in my last 4 league seasons (120 Games total) - i've only conceded 49 Goals. If i tighten my defense up anymore, I wont need a GK icon_smile.gif

ill start playing 4-4-3 icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nadessico:

i'll give that a try tonight Flyingdutchman cheers

i think it may of mainly been a lack of a DM for me, as i had Arteta on the right wing and Fernandez on the left, though the game does seem obsessed with playing down the middle as oftern as it can </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

dm would probably be best, you could try to use a barrow on a mc if you use mc's. I use a "flat" midfield of 2 mc's and found a barrow to be effective in dealing with centre rushes by opposing midfielders

I don't normally comment on tactics but I have to say you have done a great post here mate. I realised for myself that majority of the team has to have similar instructions and I have learnt a couple of pointers here.

Any advice on how to tighten up the defence? i am newcastle and finished 2nd in the league despite conceding more goals than anyone in the league apart from the bottom 3. in my second season i made a few good signings and have started poorly and concede tons of goals still. not scoring as many this year though. as i asked before is there any chance of a recomendation of what each position needs to be a success.

very nice tactic, works nice for my Atletico squad. Changed some individual things on longshots for midfield and strikers. I find my right striker (saivet) not working to good at the moment. Can be because hes only 20 atm..

This tactic is really good because it uses creative freedom on mimimum, and thus getting the best out of your players imo. No more long shots all the time, i like that the most.

Also the winger thing is very nicely thought trough. They deliver assist after assist and its great to see.

Also, I get alot of penalties in my advantage, like once or twice every four games. It seems the FM2008 engine can't really defend all the nice crosses that come in.

Very nice tactic bro, Ill keep u posted.

Willyw out

Hey,

Just took over at newly promoted Newcastle in 2015. Got bludgeoned in my first few matches, and decided to adapt a lot of what you said into my existing tactics. Particularly the creative freedom and the wing play.

So far i have yet to concede a goal....and i have yet to score a goal! 0-0 draws against Man Utd and Everton (they finished 1st and 2nd the previous season), as well as 0-0 versus Man City and Fulham. Considering we were just promoted, i suppose i will take that!

We are getting tons more shots compared to the other teams, so i supposed it won't be long until we break the door down. Just a bit more tweaking i suppose!

At the very least, now you've got me adjusting the individual instructions using the left hand panel (setting everyone's CF, then everyone's Mentality, etc, at the same time). It's so much easier to set up tactics this way than the way i used to do it (go into each position's individual instruction and set everything at once for the one position).

So thanks for that, at least!

Hey all,

Started using this tactic a few games ago and even though i'm not winning much I can see a dramatic improvement. I played it as it is for four games and lost 3 drew 1. By the way i'm wigan 7 games into the fourth season.

I was getting anoyed with how bad my defence were playing so for the next game home to west ham i decided to sort it out. Following Heathxxx advice i decided to mess about with creative freedom. So for my CB i put there CF to 3 and the FB to 4, thats it, no changes to closing down or the DL. I have decided to do a little at a time so then i know exactly whats effecting what.

In the west ham games i noticed the defence had tightened up considerably and the hammers hardly made it through so they were reduced to long range shooting. Thats a plus as long as it continues. Only thing is my attacks weren't brilliant. I noticed that the wingers weren't crossing the ball at all so i'll need to address that. But all in all i like this tactic but like you said i need to tweak it with my players in mind which i have now started to do, just hope i get enough time with wigan to test it more with them.

So cheers NepentheZ

Hey NepentheZ

I have now downloaded the patch and have started a new game as wigan. Ive watched my first friendly and ive noticed my wingers do not ever cross the ball they always run to the byline and pass back to the full backs or cm depending on whos closer. I can't seem to figure out why this is happening any ideas for me? Also the final ball to the strikers is always poor but they do pass around the back and cm's very nicely.

Great tactic and im learning more about it everytime i tweak just the wingers i can't seem to figure out. Any help would be much appreciated.

Did you change the "Cross to/Cross From" Settings? You need to make sure they have Cross From Deep, and Cross To Far post on. I would advise that you do have Through Balls ON for both wingers. That should stop any passing back. Are they passing back perhaps because they are too far ahead of the play (I.E - Waiting for the forwards to get into the box?) - If thats the case, just drop the attacking mentality down a few ticks, and they should be a bit more potent for you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beslija:

Every team should have its own unique tactic based on the player structure... what is the point of downloading tactics anyway? Make your own damn tactics... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for a very helpful, intuitive, insightful post.

Guest faxwolf

If any one is still having problems using the original link a possible solution is to use a different browser I use AOL and I had to change it so I used normal internet explorer instead, hope that helps .

I would also like to thank you for your hard work in posting this tactic I can see that you really have put an awful lot of hard work and effort into it.

I’m going to give it ago in my new game.

Keep up the good work and thanks again.

ive been using your tactic for 29 league games now, with Stockport County, and now im 10 points clear at the top of league 2! Got Man Utd as a parent club, so loaned Frazier Campbell, he has 37 in 27 games.

this tactic has helped me score so many more goals than i normally do, but after a good start i started to leak goals, i got my defence sorted then didnt conced for 7 games, winning them all.

Just want to say a big thank you!

The part about the wingers having 0 creative freedom and crossing on deep is absolutely fantastic.Just tried it with my MK Dons team in 2008 and it works superbly.It actually produces better quality chances too rather then just shots from outside the area.And because the instruction is to cross from deep the wingers are actually cutting inside rather then bombing down the byline to get a cross in.Top stuff.

Cheers for the feedback lads.

Tha Real behanger - Good luck with the tactic. One thing I have noted from this topic is that, people just starting out with the tactic tend to concede a lot of goals. Tightening the defense a bit more, or dropping the atticking mentality from the start just a few ticks may be prudent.

faxwolf - Cheers for that mate. I hope both links are still working, if not, I'd be happy to upload it again.

ianbrown82 - Thanks. Glad it's working for you. 7 clean sheets is amazing. I've only managed that as a record too, and im in 2027..!!

josha007 - The wingers really do make this tactic work. I'm pretty sure I stated that in the opening post (I hope I did.!), but thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you too can notice the difference in style of play when the wingers perform better.!

This is a well thought out thread cleon. But what i don't seem to understand is if people take the time to post these amazing threads, the people who apply these tactics to their team and find out that it doesn't work they should just work around the tactic given or JUST MAKE THEIR OWN.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manuel-Hung:

This is a well thought out thread cleon. But what i don't seem to understand is if people take the time to post these amazing threads, the people who apply these tactics to their team and find out that it doesn't work they should just work around the tactic given or JUST MAKE THEIR OWN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what is it with people these days.... icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Manuel-Hung:

This is a well thought out thread cleon. But what i don't seem to understand is if people take the time to post these amazing threads, the people who apply these tactics to their team and find out that it doesn't work they should just work around the tactic given or JUST MAKE THEIR OWN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not my thread...

Plus some people do it to give others a bit of insight into what might work for them. In other words try and get a good discussion going. And imo this thread delivered icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by thedaveeyres:

Excellent thread and excellent tactic, well done NepentheZ.

(If a thread draws me out of lurk-mode, it's must be doing something right icon_smile.gif ) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif - Cheers mate.

Also, cleon - I noticed my thread is mentioned in the Unofficial Tactics Bible. icon14.gif - Thanks for that, It means a lot.!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wijnand fens:

this tactic works with 8.02 ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's still working well for me in 8.0.2

My MC's seem to be seeing a lot more of the ball though, and on a few occasions, the defensive midfielder (the left center midfielder), has attempted and completed over 120 passes. In 8.0.1, I'd be amazed if my players got to 80 passes in a game.

The attacking side of the tactic seems to be more in effect too, with shots coming in from all over the park now, rather than just the 2 forwards and the more attacking midfielder, but they are not the usual "long shots" - they are actually shots at the end of fluid moves. The wingers are still just as potent, and oddly for me, the wingbacks are getting in on quite a few assists. This strikes me as odd because in this tactic, the defense is there to defend, and apart from corner taking, they have no means to be that far up the field.

I've got some time over the weekend, so I'll do a full breakdown of what appears to change within the tactic, but the above is what stares at me currently.

Weather or not the following is die to tactics, or perhaps a difference in game, I do seem to be having much more trouble winning in Domestic Cup Competitions. Pre 8.0.2 - I would dominate teams like I do in the league, since, theoretically they are the same teams (I rarely play teams out of the top division in cups) - but since .02, I've found my attacking options limited, and my shhots on goal drops by about 75% per cup match. (stats taken over 9 Cup matches).

In summary, the tactic still works a treat for me, but I will be changing a few things around to get it perfect again, and let you guys now the hows and whys. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's because I forgot to mention in the O.P my "Opposition Instructions". These, for some bizarre reason have a big effect on the game.

"Opposition Instructions"

Oppo - 4-4-2

GK - "Closing Down - Always"

DC/DC - "Closing Down - Always"

Oppo - 3-5-2/5-3-2

DC/DC/DC - "Closing Down - Always"

I know that doesn't seem like it will make or break a tactic, but i swear by it.

Is there a way I could get a mod to edit this into the first post? Otherwise people will read my tactic, try it, hate it, and not know how to get it work.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to get it clear, so when the opponent plays 442 , 532 or 352

than GK closingdown alway

and both dc closing down always??

Am I right?

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wijnand fens:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's because I forgot to mention in the O.P my "Opposition Instructions". These, for some bizarre reason have a big effect on the game.

"Opposition Instructions"

Oppo - 4-4-2

DC/DC - "Closing Down - Always"

Oppo - 3-5-2/5-3-2

DC/DC/DC - "Closing Down - Always"

I know that doesn't seem like it will make or break a tactic, but i swear by it.

Is there a way I could get a mod to edit this into the first post? Otherwise people will read my tactic, try it, hate it, and not know how to get it work.! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

to get it clear, so when the opponent plays 442 , 532 or 352

than GK closingdown alway

and both dc closing down always??

Am I right?

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, to put it simply, I close down all DC's and the GK no matter the tactic. I don't know what effect it has on my teams performance, as i've never dug into Opp Instructions, but there is a thread around somewhere that details everything like this. Maybe worth a look. If i come across it again, I'll post the link in here.

Beevster - Thanks man. The wingers in this game go over looked by a lot of the people complaining about the game. For the shorter passing and faster tempo you have applied, is that to the whole team or just to the wingers? If just the wingers, what success rate do they achieve with passing, on average (ball park figure) how many passes are they attempting a game, and do they still come up with the maority of the assists? Do you think if you put the width of your teams play out further the wingers would be alot more involved in a good way, or would we start to see them get marked a lot more and played out of the game? (Just a question, anyone to answer really).

I've thought about honing in on the wingers a lot more, but im scared that I may change it for the worse.! icon_smile.gif

One more thing I've been able to do since.02 patch is forcing 1 forward to get goals.

If you have a favorite player up front you want to score goals, or if in general your forwards miss a lot of chances, put a striker on the same settings as a winger. He will stop shooting and start playing through balls from the 6 yarrd box. (If you play Pro Evo, this is known as the "cut back" - which drives everyone mad online) - and doing the above really makes one forward cut back the ball to his colleague, leaving him massive amounts of open goals from a few yards out.

I tried this after seeing a selfish striker keep shooting in a pre-season friendly, and it was killing me that he wouldn't pass the ball. I adapted his settings to the same as my left winger for the next game, and the left striker got 2 goals AND 4 assists. the right striker finished with 6 goals. It was against slightly inferior opponents, but the same has worked throughout the first half of my season.

Left Striker - 23 games, 15 goals, 26 assists

Right Striker - 32 games, 59 goals, 8 assists.

Wingers - Combined assists = 48 shared. (27 right winger, 21 left winger)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yea, to put it simply, I close down all DC's and the GK no matter the tactic. I don't know what effect it has on my teams performance, as i've never dug into Opp Instructions, but there is a thread around somewhere that details everything like this. Maybe worth a look. If i come across it again, I'll post the link in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How and where must I do this? maybe a screenshot?

you will help me a lot

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yea, to put it simply, I close down all DC's and the GK no matter the tactic. I don't know what effect it has on my teams performance, as i've never dug into Opp Instructions, but there is a thread around somewhere that details everything like this. Maybe worth a look. If i come across it again, I'll post the link in here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How and where must I do this? maybe a screenshot?

you will help me a lot

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you go to a game, you get the Pre-Game team talk. When you continue, it takes you to the opposition instructions screen. You see the 11 starting players for the oppo. Select each one individually and put the closing down to "always".

If you're still struggling I'll put up some screen shots.

Hey! i was stuck in a rut doing the dafuge challenge, in my second season in league 2 and was 16th (finished 6th in 1st season)

since implementing your tactic with very minor tweaks i had close matches with league 1 stoke in the fa cup and have played 8 league matches - 6 wins, 1 draw 1 defeat.

all these matches are post 8.0.2.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_shocker7:

Hey! i was stuck in a rut doing the dafuge challenge, in my second season in league 2 and was 16th (finished 6th in 1st season)

since implementing your tactic with very minor tweaks i had close matches with league 1 stoke in the fa cup and have played 8 league matches - 6 wins, 1 draw 1 defeat.

all these matches are post 8.0.2. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the update mate. It seems the tactic is just as good with 8.0.2, which makes me happy icon_smile.gif

TRb, good luck using this mate.!

Archived