[FM10] My Call for Assistance

GreyedOutMan

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right - it's January 1st. And my league season, as far as a title challenge is concerned, is in tatters. Big lesson I've learnt from this is not to take the foot off the gas having qualified from a Champions' League group. Thigns were going really well 7 league games ago - we were 3rd and close to the leaderrs. Played a reserve team against Benfica and lost 1-0. Since then.... And the table looks like this.

It's been a total disaster, really. Going to have a blitz on the cups this season to try to win a trophy at last. That could be the silver lining.

My squad looks like this (anyone with fewer than 5 appearances not shown). No major underperformers, which makes it all the more difficult to explain this form. Gallas has just left for £275k - saves me a couple of million in wages before his contract would have been up. He's been replaced by promising Dave Carr, a £3m signing from Man City. Obviously not an immediate replacement but Gallas hasnt been playing at all lately. Bizarely, my fans think that the decision to let Gallas go was "an aberration"!! These are some of the major signings in the EPL this season, whilst all the EPL transfer rumours involve Arsenal, so can be taken with a lot of salt!!

Any other info you need? As for who I'm looking to buy/sell - over to you in terms of who to sell - who could be cleared out, do you think? I dont want to buy big this January, as the league seems to have gone already and some squad stability could help. Lansbury, Afobe and a few others look promising to me. I know you'll say GOALKEEPER, but I dont think it's necessary. This season is already nearly gone in terms of the league, and Slater will improve and hopefully be a top class keeper within a year. Perhaps might think about offloading Diaby? What do you all think? Will be online for another 15-20 minutes probably tonight so keep your feedback coming overnight and up till about 4pm tomorrow! West Ham at home next in my quest to resurrect my season.

Hmm. I don't think it's all gone. 9 points behind the leaders with 18 games (17 for you) for them to drop those points. If you manage to get a great run going, then all hope is not lost.

And your right, I was going to say GOALKEEPER! before looking at his avg stats. 6.8 isn't bad... however, you might want to try loaning in a more experienced goalkeeper.

I think you should be selling Abou Diaby. His performances haven't been that great, and you could get a good amount for him. Wilshere you should defonitely keep, however Theo is a toughy...

He offers something different when the team is struggling. He can come off the bench and turn the game around... however, his performances seem to be pretty lame.

I'd sell Diaby, and loan in a new keeper.

Also, whose your 2nd CB? I just see Djourou on that list as CB.

Goodluck!

I'm going to stick with the goalie for now - he's done OK. Who would I find on loan who would be good enough anyway? This is Arsenal we're talking about! Will review in the summer. Diaby I will be looking to sell although I'm not convinced we'll get much for him - that is if we even can sell him. Walcott I might well sell, though. I have more options up front now and it will give Wilshere more of a chance.

As for the CB - my mistake. I had "hide unavailable" ticked, and I have a defensive crisis at the moment - my top two defenders were both hidden. Here is that screen again. Things are looking better this year - we've kicked it off with a 3-0 win over West Ham (not included in those stats).

Goodnight - I'll look forward to reading your feedback tomorrow afternoon!

If the all important tackling/marking are good then he's a gem :). Sorry about the late reply, a boring league cup 4th round tie against Sp*** which I lost 0-1. There was about 1 shot the whole game.

I'd get that defender in on loan (normally if you click bid type to loan it comes up with a price that the other club is asking for). That way, you can decide on form not just on paper if he's good enough, and he'll cover your defensive crisis :).

And about Walcott, his pace is crazy. And he has age on his side. Not to mention he is very adaptible. Can play anywhere along the front line. I wouldn't accept anything less than £10,000,000.

VERY youthful team. LOTS of promise, but it seems to me like your just creating another 'promising' Arsenal team, rather than a title winning Arsenal team. I think your aim this year should be the Champions League/FA cup. It's just... missing something. Someone really needs to step up to the mark and provide some pure inspiration from now on, especially with Van Persie out injured (real blow, he was out for 6 weeks for my team to. Tried Bendtner, Eduardo and Theo to fill in, only Theo really fit the bill. But off topic:P).

Anyway, hope this helped. ^^

Van Persie isnt central to my team. He's scored plenty this year but thats the first time really. He's still playing on the wing more than up front.

As for Theo - think I'll leave it for now and keep him for the time being because as you say, his pace is great, but he is very frustrating.

Hoping a combination of Lansbury/Acquafresca and Afobe can prove the inspiration you speak of for the rest of the year. Dont think Orlov will yet. Maybe Walcott?

PS as for the youthful comment - i guess it's a fair one, although my starting XI only has one teenage in it. Some of the players you might be thinking of as young arent really young any more. Yes there's Afobe (19), Orlov (21) and Camilleri (20), but none of them would get into a Champions League Final line up at the moment, if everyone was fit. Slater has been rather forced upon me by a lack of decent replacements and is doing OK - he can only improve. Iaquinta, Arshavin, Rolfes, Sagna and Van Persie (all 29+) provide plenty of balance to the squad. Three of those are guaranteed starters in a big game, and the other two (Iaquinta and Arshavin) would almost certainly make the bench. I have already admitted that perhaps I should be playing Arshavin more...

How much attention should I pay to my coaches' persistent notes to the effect that Iaquinta and Arshavin are fading? Ignore them and keep using them regularly?

Turn down their physical training. Give them a more technical load.

And youthful wasn't the right word to be honest... just lacking something special. Give it another 2 years and I think players like Afobe/Orlov will give you that inspiration your after.

My advice is to keep your scouts very busy this season/pre-season.

My advice is to keep your scouts very busy this season/pre-season.

What sort of players do you think I'm looking for? I'm thinking defensive midfielder, i KNOW you're going to say Goalkeeper and I do agree, though probably only a backup, and possibly a bit more defensive cover?

Ouch. After last night that hurt. I know it sounds silly but the 5th goal was DEFINITELY offside, and at 4-2, we were coming back into the game. Had the game ended, say, 4-3 - then we would have had a really good chance in the 2nd leg. Going to take a miracle now. What is it with me and semi-finals? Got to about six now...no finals.

:( well, try get scouting any regen who you think will be top class, regardless of his position. Even if you already have someone in that position, it will provide good competition (Which is something your team lacks atm).

And yeh, you need a decent anchorman and goalkeeper aswell just general improvements.

Also, its really hard to spot the future stars. I mean the scouts NEVER seem to give more than 3* potential rating - I've only seen about two or three players who have, and they're all already there, so cost upwards of £30m.

Hidden gems seem to be a lot LOT harder to find this year.

Ok, who do you regard as the core of your team? imo, you either need to

1). Rebuild around the core

2). Rebuild the core.

If rebuilding the core is the option you take, I advise selling Fabregas for the extra money... I mean, if things are as drastic as they sound, he's not going to want to stay at Arsenal. Before you do that, make sure you know how you want your team to play.

If your going to rebuild around the core (Fabregas, Lansbury) you'll need to replace KEY lost players. Almunia, Gallas, Iaquinta (Afobe sounds like he'll step up to the mark next season), and a new, solid, experienced DMC.

You might want to think about taking a serious look at your tactics aswell, and training. :)

I think I want to rebuild around the core. Fabregas seems happy still...

Lansbury isnt yet core though he could be. And I have been looking for a DMC, but had no luck. I have however signed (for July 1st) this guy. I know it seems a bit hasty but he's scoring for fun in the Bundesliga. This is Matic. Have my scouts on him to find out for sure, and Burnley want £9.75m plus 10% of transfer profit.

Tactics and training - well over to you. I dont pretend to be an expert. Tell me what you need to see and I'll send it to you. My training is just TT's set - position specific training. Though with some tweaks for certain players.

Heh, same I'm certainly no expert =). In past FM's I've normally just used TT's training to, but in this one I've tried something different...

For anyone under 20 I've basically got them on high Aerobic/Strength training, and 1st notch medium everything else. This is because young players really need to max out their physical stats first, as these are the ones that drop first. It seems to be working atm...

Just a thought on training.

Tactics, well we have 2 completely different teams atm :). Only way I could possibly try a decent tactic for your team would be to play a few games with them, or for you to explain the tactics your using atm and maybe try and point out little things were you maybe going wrong.

That signing looks decent. 22/21. INSANE scoring record.

How much you spent on him? His scoring record suggests that he's a beast. Ignore the scouts on this occasion :).

He could work on his finishing, and the thing is will he adapt to the Premier League? (It's a much higher standard of league than the Bundesliga). If you paid less than 10 mill for him, then imo he's a good buy :)

Well, I've had a try making my own custom ones :).

Basically, for 21-24 I've turned down the physical training a bit, put up the technical ones etc. 24-27, same again, 30+ like 13 notches on physical trainings and high for important technical ones. They're very untested though, so yeah, stick to TT positional ones :)

I've put my workload so it's on medium. So both physical ones on first notch of high.

The main aim for this schedule is to prepare your youthful players, who perhaps aren't ready for high intensity training schedules: however by training their physical your improving fitness etc which is vital.

Seems to be working for me, so might work for you :) (I'd make a screeny, but I'm winning 2-1 vs Sunderland IG and it's tense :p)

The football gods are not smiling on me tonight. A 4-0 defeat at home to Sp**s has left me needing a last-day victory at Old Trafford to even make the Europa League next season! Of course if Chelsea lose, we win, and there is a TWELVE goal swing - oh and Wolves dont win either...then I will make the Champions League. But it's unlikely to say the least. Man Utd 0-8 Arsenal anyone? I dont have much hope :(

Archived