dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I nooo happy right now. Finally completed my second season and the board refused to offer me a new contract. I thought all the people wingeing about it had only themselves to blame. BUT:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> The board expected me to be in a decent position in the BSS after 2 seasons. I was promoted in the first

<LI>I told the board I would avoid relegation in the Conference and came a very creditable 10th.

<LI>The board confidence was full at the time of my sacking

I just don't understand this. Has there been a second release of the patch? And if so does it solve this problem??

Cheers

Originally posted by chrisprior00:

I just don't understand this. Has there been a second release of the patch? And if so does it solve this problem??

Cheers

Yes, there has been an updated beta patch released a few days ago, go and have a look at the patch thread in GQ, the links are in the first post.

Quite a few of the issues people here have suffered from are supposed to be fixed in this patch, including board confidence and contract problems.

Stamford - Blue Square Premier - 2017/18 End of Season Update

Well that was my 10th season in charge of the club. In those 10 years I have been promoted to the BSP twice and relegated once. I have made it to 1 final of the FA Trophy (that was lost) and this season to the 3rd round of the FA Cup (narrow loss to Liverpool, who later in the season stole my youth coach).

The season started awfully, didnt get much better in the middle, and after a bit of a moan on the forum I hit a 7 match winning streak to get myself to 12th place overall, and a manager of the month award.

Sorry if I sound a bit annoyed at teh moment, but 10 years in charge of a club, where the board still cant see the point in having any form of affiliate, and the fact that I am nowhere near having a squad that wants the playoffs let alone promotio, despite bribing them for 3 seasons with high win bonuses for the league, is starting to get to me.

I think I will give this game another 2 seasons, presuming I get a new contract and if I still cant get to the BSP playoffs or better, I may try the challenge again on a different club to try and find some momentum.

Table

Graph

Confidence

Transfers

Originally posted by Brencamb:

This is a little off topic, but hopefully no-one'll mind me asking..

Is there an SS'08 style kitpack for the Blue Square South teams yet? I've found pretty much everything but these ones.

I haven't seen one yet, I'm still waiting for one over at FMGlive to be finished.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brencamb:

Is there an SS'08 style kitpack for the Blue Square South teams yet? I've found pretty much everything but these ones.

I haven't seen one yet, I'm still waiting for one over at FMGlive to be finished. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, thanks.

Last week I tried registering there, but never got my authorisation email. I shall try again!

Originally posted by Brencamb:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brencamb:

I haven't seen one yet, I'm still waiting for one over at FMGlive to be finished. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, thanks.

Last week I tried registering there, but never got my authorisation email. I shall try again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just attempted to log in and it worked icon_smile.gif

I'll keep my eyes peeled then.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by acidmonkey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sydneytilidie:

Now I'm new to these forums, so I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this beforehand, but I'm wondering if it would be in bad taste for me to tamper with certain teams promotion chances?

I REALLY want to manage as Cirencester Town, but they have a reputation of 750, so their promotion is unlikely.

Hence, I intend to tweak their chances a little by taking charge of their parent clubs (Swindon and Cheltenham) and sending players to the affiliated clubs (being Cirencester, of course).

So far i've managed to loan out a very good first team striker out and some decent league 1 reserve players. I think their chances of promotion will now be greatly enhanced.

Does this sound like a good idea to you guys, and am I breaking some kind of rules by doing this?

i dont think its allowed but if theres no problem i would like to ask the legiticmy of me switching a team in the list of sides in the unibond prem with my local non-league club sunderland-nissan, i would like to do this challenge so if its not 'legit' ill take over gateshead again when the patch comes out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not allowed, this challenge was designed to be played without anyone changing anything at all in the database. Although there is clearly no advantage to be had, no editing has to mean no editing what so ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about my idea dafuge?

Mangotsfield United - 08/09 End Of Season Review

Review in brief - we were rubbish! And as a result.... were relegated.

Have a look at my earlier post for various other tidbits about my season, all of which are still valid points now.

My plan - wait for a final 8.0.1 patch, then start again (I'm sure I had some strange morale problems). What have I learned for my next attempt?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>To make better training schedules

<LI>To find better defenders (I had other culprits in my team too, but a shocking defence was the main team problem.

Despite being awful for vast parts of the season, it was still lots of fun icon14.gif

I will be back, soon!

Originally posted by sydneytilidie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by acidmonkey:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sydneytilidie:

Now I'm new to these forums, so I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this beforehand, but I'm wondering if it would be in bad taste for me to tamper with certain teams promotion chances?

I REALLY want to manage as Cirencester Town, but they have a reputation of 750, so their promotion is unlikely.

Hence, I intend to tweak their chances a little by taking charge of their parent clubs (Swindon and Cheltenham) and sending players to the affiliated clubs (being Cirencester, of course).

So far i've managed to loan out a very good first team striker out and some decent league 1 reserve players. I think their chances of promotion will now be greatly enhanced.

Does this sound like a good idea to you guys, and am I breaking some kind of rules by doing this?

i dont think its allowed but if theres no problem i would like to ask the legiticmy of me switching a team in the list of sides in the unibond prem with my local non-league club sunderland-nissan, i would like to do this challenge so if its not 'legit' ill take over gateshead again when the patch comes out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not allowed, this challenge was designed to be played without anyone changing anything at all in the database. Although there is clearly no advantage to be had, no editing has to mean no editing what so ever. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What about my idea dafuge? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt if Dafuge is going to go for it, the same question has been asked in previous challenges, and he always said no

damnit

looks like i'll be reloading for the next couple of days then

Where would the glory be if it was easy to get a sub1000 team?

Not only are they hard to manage, but getting them in the first place is a trial in itself. I'm jealous of those who managed to get one (except those who cheat and download a save from dafuge's website).

Worksop 08/09 - August Results

First up, I won't be doing monthly updates, but just wanted to show how my signings made out in the first month.

Anyway, here are a bunch of pictures to look at:

August Results

How the Boys are Getting On

My Midfield Boss

So yeah, 3 wins, 2 draws, and 1 loss. I'm pretty pleased with that, and it puts us up in 5th through August. Still a lot of season to go, but I am quite comfortable with my signings...

With one exception. My central defenders are crap. McCarthy is so freaking slow, and takes forever to recover from a match. Beasant gets caught out all the time, and if I see another attacker slip by him whilst taking a walk in the park I am going to lose it. The other guys are mediocre at best, and I need to loan or buy some defenders in quickly.

My midfield and attack are excellent however. Nelthorpe is very dangerous, sets up a good amount of the play, and makes some good shots on net... and he has three goals to show for it in his first month. Connolly on the right wing has also been excellent, and is regularly singled out in the post match analysis.

I have a good crop of strikers, and managed to bring in Emile Sinclair from Nott. Forest on loan just before the first match. He has been excellent, as have been Rae and Dubois. Those three are likely to be my regulars, and I think I have a pretty good backup in Jeffrey and Hylton.

So all in all, good start. Lots of work left to do, and an utterly shambolic defense to sort out. Still, I am playing fairly attacking football, and the boys have really come through on the finishing. I could have easily seen us going through August unbeaten if we didn't have trouble at the back.

Next update, end of season. Going to try and run the whole season this evening, and hopefully will meet my top half finish promise.

damnit

looks like i'll be reloading for the next couple of days then

There are saves on the website..i just took mine off it...trust me..I did something like 10 reloads and always ended up with the same lot..the best I did was with Kings Lynn...in the end I took the gloucester save.

I don't think i was tough enough on training, I brought it down to the low notch of medium and somehow now my whole team is struggling to keep fit...I need to remember to keep it on the high notch of medium next time...*expletive deleted*

With less than a third or about 15 matches remain we have a 4 point lead but haven't won a match in 7 games. We're really struggling to hold onto our lead with Bury breathing down my neck.

I have to field my youngsters just to make the numbers and the chairman still says no to a 'parent club'. As I type this Hereford have a 2 goal lead at the break...we just lost the last match 3-1...now we're 3 goals down.

Its a tough decision to take these defeats on the chin, but I have title deciding matches against Rushden, Bury, Chester and York to come...and we need to do well against all of them..the pressure oh the pressure!

what a time to meet Woking...we beat them 4-2 earlier in the season...they're on a 10 match unbeaten run, and my lead is now a mere 1 point....setanta shield and the FA trophy...i'll let the youth team now play in the latter stages..I just lost another rightback and a defender...

Give me a gun and I'll shoot the freaking chairman, calls me a genius with funds but doesn't want to tie up with a parent club..*expletive deleted*...give me another gun I'll shoot the press "Gloucester can't buy a win for love or money*...*bigger expletive deleted* icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Matlock 2009/2010 Blue Square Premier - Season Summary

I never expected to go well this year, what with the board's default expectation being, "try not to get relegated", but I was feeling primed after my promotion, so I upgraded it to, "will avoid relegation". The extra wage budget was worth it, and despite frequenting the drop zone often in my season, I managed to scrape a tidy 19th place after my team hit form on the tail of the season.

League Position Screenshot

The league table was also quite unsurprising, with most of the promoted teams playing footsies with me at the bottom of the table.

League Table

I also had quite a busy season with transfers. Saw a lot of players going out and a lot coming in. Its funny how every player surprises you with how they play. Some guys who I expected to dominate just never took off, where as a few really made their mark. But you'll get no tips from me icon_cool.gif

Transfers

Although, I did have two highlights from my season. First one, being my link with Sheffield United being secured[screenshot]. The second one being this magnificent match[screenshot].

Anyway, now onto next season!

My expectation is to move above 15th in the league, but I will require some more quality in my team. I think some of my younger players are starting to mature quite nicely so I will be disappointed if there is no improvement from them... ESPECIALLY Tom Clarke :p.

Originally posted by virtex:

Fleetwood Town – Blue Square Premier – 2010/11

Towards the end of last season I managed to sign Ghanaian under twenty one international Sadick Adams. He scored with regular frequency and more than once we had the manager of Fulham at Highbury Stadium watching him. He will once again be expected to lead the line this season.

He's due to retire at the end of my current season at the ripe old age of 21!!

Originally posted by virtex:

Fleetwood Town – Blue Square Premier – 2010/11

Alas there is always one that misses out, this time it is Zavon Hines. He has scored many more goals than Fletcher though they were both signed at the same time, he will have to make do with starting from the bench when the season begins.

You might want to keep faith in him

Originally posted by dlnwba86:

Damn it. I now haven't won in ten games and i'm in danger of being relegated back to the BSS. nightmare, i think i might start again if i end up getting relegated. icon_rolleyes.gif

The 'Curse in Reverse' strikes again, after saying the above, i manage to beat Aldershot and move out of the relegation zone. Come on you YELTZ!!

Well after a blip..and having the press corp write off our chances..the boys have really started getting their act together

Our fixtures show a good return to form and with less than 6 matches left...2 wins and the title is as good as ours.

In our last match the Halifax manager basically told us to forget about promotion..we've already secured a playoff place..*expletive deleted*..well I just turned around and told him we'd wipe that smirk off his face.

The press declared that we'd lose, and also reminded everyone its my 100th game in charge...and we demolished them 4-1.

All those expletives worked.

Gloucester City Tigers - Champions BSP

Ha Bury fumbled, the blistering pace we set towards the end burned them out..they needed to win their remaining four matches...dropped a point and we've secured the title

BSP Champs with 4 to go

remind me not to let my assman take charge anymore..decided to offer him the chance to helm the team for the last 4 matches..and he loses all of them convincingly

and for all of us waiting for info about the patch look what i found in a post where people are asking for promises about next years game stealth post part the way down posting is a brief statement from paul at si about the patch they said would be released in 2 weeks which is today but saying not today and no timeline given as to when

thought i'd let people know as some people in challenge have said they wont continue till patch is released

Originally posted by rashidi1:

Gloucester City Tigers - Champions BSP

Ha Bury fumbled, the blistering pace we set towards the end burned them out..they needed to win their remaining four matches...dropped a point and we've secured the title

BSP Champs with 4 to go

remind me not to let my assman take charge anymore..decided to offer him the chance to helm the team for the last 4 matches..and he loses all of them convincingly

Congrats Rashidi, good to see you returning to form and doing well. You'll probably turn pro now too! icon_wink.gif

Good luck for next season icon14.gif

Originally posted by Rage1999:

Mangotsfield United - Rage1999

Right I've started a game as Mangotsfield United, Started off with a squad of about 6 16 year olds and all the rest were greyed out players. was given a wage budget of 2k and 0 to spend on players.

So once i sorted out my staff, (1 assman, 3 coaches, 1 gk coach, 1 youth coach, 1 physio and 2 scouts) it was time to get on player search, not that many players were intersted in joining newly promoted Mangotsfield United but i was surpised to learn their was quite a few ex international players who would join us. So i decided to go for the combination of ex International players and once decent ex league players to try and keep us up, here they are.

Fitzroy Simpson (39 caps Jamaica)

Dave Savage (5 caps Ireland)

Zlatko Yankov (77 caps Bulgaria)

Marcus Gayle (14 caps Jamaica)

Ian Cox (20 caps Trinidad and Tobago)

Gibrilla Kargbo (3 caps Sierra Leone)

Paul Devlin (10 caps Scotland)

Narada Bernard (1 cap Jamaica)

Bruce Dyer (ex Barnsley)

Isiah Rankin (ex Bradford)

Michael Boulding (ex Grimsby)

Rocky Baptiste (decent ex league)

Paulo Vernazza (ex Arsenal)

Richard Edgehill (ex Man City)

Tony Grant (ex Everton)

Ben Bowditch (ex Spurs)

and a few others.

Id like to think the Magnosfield United fans would be excited at the prospect of so many ex internationals playing for the club as theyve probably never had an ex international playing for them before, anyway my only aim for the season is to stay in the division and carry on from their, it's going to be tough especially with the lack of pace the ex internationals bring and that could cost us, just hope their experience can pull us through.

Come on the Mango's

Ok so i'm 27 games into the season and things are not going well icon_frown.gif my Mangotsfield United side are currently in 21st place, (the relegation zone) and the lack of pace that we have is a big concern.

There is one thing thats keeping us going at the minute though and thats Isaiah Rankin, 19 goals in 30 games so far and the lad is really trying his best to keep us in the division. We've also had the distraction of a rumoured takeover either by a supporters trust or another member of the board which also placed a transfer embargo on us for about 2 months (the takeover still hasn't been settled)

Anyway with 15 more games to go it's going to be a tough job for us to stay up, I just wish the players who i know can make the difference ie Marcus Gayle would just step up and take control, maybe hes just not good enough anymore icon_frown.gif

Here are some screenshots

873pkjk.jpg

7x265xs.jpg

6k8ffyw.jpg

Archived