dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Katarian Kings Lynn 08/09 Season

In my first season in charge of the club we managed to finish second in the league and gain promotion by winning the playoffs. Cup success was limited with the club only progressing in the Setanta Cup. Three times it looked like I was going to be fired but the takeovers all failed.

League Table

This feat was achieved with a poor squad bolstered by 5 loan signings from Norwich City FC. Far more loan signings then I would of liked but I paniced a week before the start of the season when I only had 4 players on my books.

Squad

Obviously Martin and Moses were the star players their goals fired me to promotion. The defence and midfield just tried to keep the scroe down at the other end of the pitch, rather unsuccessfully as it turns out only keeping a clean sheet in 8 matches and conceeding 45 goals in preseason friendlies.

Chris Martin

Victor Moses

I fear for the team in the BSP. I doubt that I will be able to loan such quality next season and the wage budget is far too high already.

A question

Having gone through the rules for the challenge I find that the rules on parent clubs is a little open to abuse (in my opinion)

In my game I am managing Halesowen with Birmingham as my parent club but I have managed to get 4 or 5 youngsters off them on loan

Due to having no fixed qouta for loans in the BSS and BSN should a cap be added for the challenge ?

One could possibly have a team full on loans making it easy to gain instant promotion form either league, of course it gets tougher in the BSP.

Personally I am thinking of starting again and only allowing myself the players that my parent club offers and and only allowing myself 3 loan player in total

what do other people think ?

Originally posted by BluesBot:

A question

Having gone through the rules for the challenge I find that the rules on parent clubs is a little open to abuse (in my opinion)

In my game I am managing Halesowen with Birmingham as my parent club but I have managed to get 4 or 5 youngsters off them on loan

Due to having no fixed qouta for loans in the BSS and BSN should a cap be added for the challenge ?

One could possibly have a team full on loans making it easy to gain instant promotion form either league, of course it gets tougher in the BSP.

Personally I am thinking of starting again and only allowing myself the players that my parent club offers and and only allowing myself 3 loan player in total

At the moment there are no rules concerning this, I have left as much as possible open to interpretation so people can play their games the way they want. If you think that doing something is unfair, just don't do it. This challenge is designed so that there is some flexibility in the way people can play, so people must remember that you are competing against yourself, not each other.

Thanks Dafuge - that makes sense,

Although I am not past the friendly stage yet I have decided it would be a waste to restart but I am thinking of maybe sending a loanee or two back, I have 6 loans at the moment - I feel 4 is probally more justifiable though.

I took this challenge as I wanted to test my management skills, having a team full of loans is not going to help much icon_smile.gif

thanks again icon14.gif

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BluesBot:

A question

At the moment there are no rules concerning this, I have left as much as possible open to interpretation so people can play their games the way they want. If you think that doing something is unfair, just don't do it. This challenge is designed so that there is some flexibility in the way people can play, so people must remember that you are competing against yourself, not each other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do what I did which I think was realistic by my standards. I had no-one on loan till they were scouted by my scouts. And even then i only signed them as cover for players who got injured. To each his own style of play.

A question

Just 3 players on loan seems a bit low, I'm not 100% sure on the rules for the BSP but isn't it something like 4 long term loans and 8 loans in total? The rules in the BSN/S do seem extremely lax, as there is also no transfer window so I was bring in better players throughout the season as my scouts found them.

I did feel I was cheating a bit with my loan signings but as I was trying to play to LLaMa rules I had no scouts and only 4 youth players 7 days before the season started so I loaned just about everyone Norwich would let me have.

WEBSITE PROBLEM

posted this a little earlier but seem to have had no response, i am now in league one after my play off success ( full season update following this post) however when trying to update via the site it tells me that finnishing 7th (play off position) is not high enough to be promoted so i cannot update my status on the site.

icon_frown.gif

January Update

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Accrington 0 - 1 Harrow (FA Cup 3rd Round)

Todorov

York 1 - 1 Harrow

Beko Fofana

Southport 2 - 1 Harrow (FA Trophy 2nd Round)

Barron

Harrow 1 - 2 Woking

McGarry

Harrow 0 - 5 Leicester (FA Cup 4th Round)

Stockport 1 - 0 Harrow</pre>

Well, the epic victory over Accrington Stanley lead only to a spanking from Leicester in the next round. My reserves crashed out against Southport from the FA Trophy. I threw that game away, next year I will have better squad depth and will seriously challenge for it. Fairly awful month really, but West Ham offered me Tomkins, Beko Fofana and another defender, Fowler, on loan as my parent club. I have just noticed my match away to Weymouth in April has been selected for TV coverage \o/

League Position: 14th

FA Cup Progress: 4th Round (Out)

FA Trophy Progress: 2nd Round (Out)

Setanta Shield Progress: 4th Round (Out)

Jsa's Chippenham Town Season Update. End Of 15/16 Season

After Chippenhams Average all be it unpredicted 11th place finnish in the season before manager james leedham wanted to continue this succed in to the 15/16 season. with this in mind he set about strenghting his team and finding a good strike partner for young starlet Kris Renton

After some scouting two potential strike partners wher identified and as the season went on renton and new signing Kane McDermott formed a strong partnership, scoring 59 goals in the 46 appearances that they made together.

other early season signings that impressed though out the season included Giorgos Nalbantis and Sean Evens

After a strong pre-season that saw 18 goals scored by Chippenham including a 6-3 thrashing of Aston Villa reserves, Chippen settled into a pretty poor start finding them sleves hovering just above the relegation zone. By half way through the season they had climbed to mid table and then persued a long fight up the table to finally finnish in 7th place and a play off position.

The Play off semi finals where against Northamton and the first leg was at home.

Playoff Semi - 1st Leg

After there close 2-1 defeat chippenham where predicted by the media to take a sound thrashing at northamptons home ground. for most of the game northampton dominated but Chippenham managed to weather the storm and netted twice in extra time to take through to the play off final.

Play Off Semi -2nd Leg

The bluebirds where to face Rochdale in the final and after a close fought 90mins the teams where are square after star striker Kris Rentontook the lead in the 28th min only to have James o'connor fire one past Siim Karu in the 60th min. Unfortuantly for O'connor to recieve a 2nd yellow in the 70th. Despite having a 1 man advantage CHippenham still couldnt find the net and the match went to Extra time. As extra time drew to an end it looked like this was going to be settled on penalties. But in the 115th min Chippenham mounted a glories counter attack and scored. A second soon followed in the 118th min.

The Estonian National coach was also seen in the crowd at this game most likely checking out Goal Keeper

Play Off Final

And that was it Chippenham where in League one!!

Manager Overview

Leage Table

Leage Table

Chippenham review cont.

Damn it pressed wrong button.

some other screenies you may or may not want to view.

Star Players

Thomas Gray

Joss Labide

Sean Evans

Giorgos Nalbantis

Siim Karu

Kris Renton

Kane Mcdermott

Other Random Screen Shots

Confidence Summary

Favoured personal (Kris Renton Now added icon_biggrin.gif, and on that note i am now in a number of my players favoured personal)

Manager of the Year 2nd place

Manager Overview

Season Summary

Top Goal scorer

Remind me not to install beta patches in the future.

Closing down. icon14.gif

Long shots. icon13.gif

Will be starting afresh with AFC Hornchurch.

The chairman status is "Enjoying life at the club". Anyone else with chairman status different from "Loves the club"?

Originally posted by jsar:

WEBSITE PROBLEM

posted this a little earlier but seem to have had no response, i am now in league one after my play off success ( full season update following this post) however when trying to update via the site it tells me that finnishing 7th (play off position) is not high enough to be promoted so i cannot update my status on the site.

icon_frown.gif

Its not...

Originally posted by jsar:

er it is as 4th -7th go in to the play offs, which i did and won, so i am now in league one! but i cannot update the site beacuse it tells me that it is not a high enuogh position to have been promoted

Sorry I read that as you were in league 1 originally.

Mangotsfield Town - League Two 2010-2011

After consecutive playoff promotions I was looking for a year of solidarity in league football. Despite a somewhat rocky start, we were never really under threat of relegation. Final League Table and Graph

The Cups were a write off, just terrible...

We did add a couple of big prospects that will hopefully aid our push towards league one and beyond

Bean

Frost

SeverTrial, Sever

Teams have been Lurking around Sever, but hopefully he will stay because he was TERRIBLE in the early season before he settled into the lineup later in the season

On a last note and a nice touch, I was going to let my captain go on a free transfer, he wasn't really playing anymore, but than this happened and I had to offer him a new contract.

I've promised a mid-table finish this year, hopefully I've not been too ambitious...

Guest mattpont

Hmmm, without wanting to ignite the ridiculous-score-but-is-it-a-bug-or-not debate, here's a result between 2 computer teams in my league (BSS) that caught my eye... Obscene

I hope that link works okay.

BTW, I'm sitting pretty in my 3rd season in the BSS, looking good for promotion having missed out in the playoffs last year. I'm at Merthyr Tydfil.

Table with 7 matches to go

Relegation back out of the Blue Square Premier is looking likely for me this season. What worries me is that its contract renewal season, my team is falling apart and can scarcely manage a draw from anywhere, let alone a win.

Has anyone managed to be relegated and still got their contract renewed in the challenge so far, or am I playing my last few matches for Stamford?

Originally posted by mattpont:

Hmmm, without wanting to ignite the ridiculous-score-but-is-it-a-bug-or-not debate, here's a result between 2 computer teams in my league (BSS) that caught my eye... Obscene

That's ridiculous... You really should send that PKM to SI.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Well, that and the fact that I just HATE losing at anything.

5 wins and 5 draws give me 20 points.

7 wins and 3 losses gives me 21 points.

I would pick the former over the latter any day icon_rolleyes.gif.

icon_biggrin.gif Couldnt believe it when I read that - I thought i was the only person who got had that hatred of losing so much I end up drawing. It seems to happen with all my FM games - like you said, i would rather the former any day - but in the table you get buggered over for it! icon_rolleyes.gif

A question

It's okay for those of you with Premiership (or even Football League) Parent clubs, I have Southport as my parent team, and the players they tried to loan me were even worse than mine icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michaeltmurrayuk:

John Hartson has just retired and become a chairman on my game icon_biggrin.gif

A chairman without a club if that makes sense, or has he taken over a club? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's a chairman without a club, though there doesn't appear to be any way for me to find out if he takes over a club now that the game has decided to hide away all the news that doesn't directly mention my team or shortlist icon_rolleyes.gif (Only found out I didn't win manager of the year, due to the game going to the competition news screen whilst processing).

Chippenham Town - 2012/2013

I forgot to take a picture of my league position squad etc for this season. I was too worried seeing if I'd get a renewed contract and forgot all about them. I've 3-4 championship standard youngsters in my squad now. Loads of clubs wanting all them but not even matching my low (icon_rolleyes.gif) 500k valuation on each of them. My stadiums being upgraded, as are my youth and training facliities. I'm groudn sharing with swindon.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Table with 7 matches to go

Relegation back out of the Blue Square Premier is looking likely for me this season. What worries me is that its contract renewal season, my team is falling apart and can scarcely manage a draw from anywhere, let alone a win.

Has anyone managed to be relegated and still got their contract renewed in the challenge so far, or am I playing my last few matches for Stamford?

Update - been relegated with 3 matches to go. No idea whether I will get a new contract, but given my 20 match streak without a win, I very much doubt it.

Stamford - Blue Square Premier - End of Season update 2013/14

What a poor excuse for a season. My board still cant see the point of links with any other clubs and I couldnt get anyone in on loan from anywhere.

Needless to say I was relegated.

Not sure what else to say since it is contract renewal season and there is no point in rebuilding until I know if i have a job still, and until the league resets an I know the new wage budgets etc...

Contract Offer

Although I have been offered a new contract I'm not sure I should take it. I have been given a new 2 year plan to enjoy participating in the BSP, but when the league resets and I am "officially relegated", surely the confidence bug will kick in cos I wont be in the right division for the 2 year plan?

Should I try delaying the offer until the league reset date and see if they give me a more feasible plan?

Should I reject the offer and pray they offer again with a more feasible plan?

Should I accept and presumably have to bounce straight back up again?

Let me know what you think as i dont want to lose to a possible confidence bug. Off to bed now so will see replies later.

I say take it. If you gain promotion next season and survive relegation the one after that, you'll have fulfilled the long-term plan and should be okay. It shouldn't matter than you're in BSN/BSS 1 year into the 2-year plan. You could also try negotiating for a 3-year or even 4-year contract; that might affect what sort of long-term plan they give you or at least increase your chance of avoiding the sack if you don't actually bounce straight back up.

Originally posted by Scab:

I think my scout just picked up on a class regen. He claims he'd be interested in joining my mighty Hendon, so praying Ipswitch will let him go for a reasonable sum...

A midfielder with that finishing and composure is class. Even though he isn't the fastest guy around, he still has a lot of potential to be good. Snap him up.

Yes! \o/

Looks like a hot prospect if my scout is anything to go by.

Originally posted by MachinegunHead:

A midfielder with that finishing and composure is class. Even though he isn't the fastest guy around, he still has a lot of potential to be good. Snap him up.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about the physical stats. He's just 17; they should improve with age and training.

Archived